PDA

View Full Version : Houston Rockets fans: How good has Clint Capela been this season?

FlashBolt
12-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Is he due for a long-term high contract? What is his value around the league and for the Rockets?

P.s. and will you guys please take Melo in exchange for Capela.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Melo and D'Antoni LMFAO :laugh:

Vee-Rex
12-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Is he due for a long-term high contract? What is his value around the league and for the Rockets?

Don't see a chance of this happening. Clint is having a career year.

Also it's hard to get the salaries to match. Melo is making 26 million, while Clint is only making 2 million. He'd have to sign an extension (he's gonna get some big money in the offseason). OKC would have to take Anderson's contract but Anderson + Clint is wayyyy too much of an overpay for Melo. They'd want Adams or George in return... but at the money still just wouldn't pan out.

Tg11
12-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Capela could seriously be in the convo as far as 6th Man of the Year

mightybosstone
12-05-2017, 02:55 PM
He's been really, really good. Like top 5-10 center in the league good. But I think we need to put his success into context. This is not a guy who you can run your offense through or even an elite defensive stud. He has one truly elite skill that makes him a perfect fit for this offense. His skillset as an athletic pick and roll partner make him just the perfect center for this system with Harden and Paul. He slips through pick and rolls and finds Harden and Paul's lobs like a freakin' ballerina. But if you put him on a team without guys like Harden or Paul, and I think his value diminishes significantly.

That being said, I don't want to sound like I'm downplaying his season. He has been significantly better as a shot blocker, rebounder, defender and just all around offensive player, and it shows with career highs in TRB%, BLK%, AST% and TS%. His improvement at the free throw line is also a huge plus, as he's no longer a reliable "hack-a" candidate.

Throw on top of that the fact that he's just an awesome teammate who seems like a genuinely good dude, and he's well beloved by Houston players and fans. However, I don't know how much he'll make next season. I think it's likely that Morey will offer Capela a sizable contract to keep him, but I can also see a team swooping in to offer him a max deal. I hate to think of it, but I could absolute see something similar to the Chandler Parsons scenario happening next offseason. Morey is more than willing to pay for superstars, but he hasn't been willing to overpay to keep role players. Capela is somewhere between the two, which makes him a tough player to assign value to.

WaDe03
12-05-2017, 02:59 PM

This! Especially when you consider the fact that he's the starting center and doesn't come off the bench.

mightybosstone
12-05-2017, 03:09 PM

This! Especially when you consider the fact that he's the starting center and doesn't come off the bench.

Yeahhh.... I wasn't going to say anything. But Capela is definitely not a 6th man candidate. The guy has started every single game this season.

lol, please
12-05-2017, 03:14 PM
I love Capela, hope he's been great. Ever since his first playoffs appearance I've been rooting for him to solidify the starting C role and be part of that Rockets core.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Tg11
12-05-2017, 03:20 PM
And I would definitely say that he is and he can only get better as the years progress...think about it the man is 23 now but imagine what he will be like in the next few years especially if he is as consistent as he is now

IndyRealist
12-05-2017, 03:29 PM

What would you do with Adams?

Driven
12-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Capela is great. He is definitely partially a product of the system. He fits the Rockets offense and James Harden and Chris Paul so well. Nene also outperforms his ability on the Rockets.

What I like about Capela is his progression. Every season he improves increasingly in every weakness. He plays under control now, has some moves, some touch on his shot, and hits enough of his free throws. He runs the floor and plays with good energy. He's truly an x-factor on the Rockets, and his efficiency is the reason they could be legit contenders this year.

He's a bit inconsistent offensively. But when he is aggressive he plays very well.

I really don't know what he'll get in the offseason. The Rockets should try to keep him, obviously. I feel like his market value is low compared to his production.

mightybosstone
12-05-2017, 03:41 PM
And I would definitely say that he is and he can only get better as the years progress...think about it the man is 23 now but imagine what he will be like in the next few years especially if he is as consistent as he is now

I think he will get better, but I also don't see him becoming a more versatile or skilled player offensively, necessarily. I think he'll perfect what he's good at and maybe occasionally try to expand his offensive repertoire a little bit when the situation calls for it. But I don't see him becoming some kind of elite offensive threat.

Tg11
12-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Yeah the Rockets would have to be pretty stupid to give up Capela and Capela he is one of those cases that if he becomes aggressive he could have the potential to be an All Star in this league

Driven
12-05-2017, 03:47 PM
I think he will get better, but I also don't see him becoming a more versatile or skilled player offensively, necessarily. I think he'll perfect what he's good at and maybe occasionally try to expand his offensive repertoire a little bit when the situation calls for it. But I don't see him becoming some kind of elite offensive threat.

I actually disagree with this, mostly because of the fact that he's currently on the right team and because of the progression he has shown year after year. If he can gain some weight, I think he can add another dimension to his offense. I think he's still very green.

Driven
12-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Yeah the Rockets would have to be pretty stupid to give up Capela and Capela he is one of those cases that if he becomes aggressive he could have the potential to be an All Star in this league

Well if they can't pay him they can't pay him. They're also going to have to figure out what to do with Chris Paul, and they still have Ryan Anderson's bloated contract. If they want to make a splash in the offseason like their GM always tries to do, you won't be able to keep everybody. Capela currently makes $2.3 million. If he ends up making $20 million next year, the Rockets got to find an extra $17 million.

Tg11
12-05-2017, 03:50 PM
I actually disagree with this, mostly because of the fact that he's currently on the right team and because of the progression he has shown year after year. If he can gain some weight, I think he can add another dimension to his offense. I think he's still very green.

Yeah if he were to bulk up as a center in this league then yeah sure but right now you may think he is green but how many seasons has he been in the league? Obviously he is growing year by year and who knows he might just surprise you

Driven
12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Maybe he'll surprise me and actually win 6th man of the year.

IndyRealist
12-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Well if they can't pay him they can't pay him. They're also going to have to figure out what to do with Chris Paul, and they still have Ryan Anderson's bloated contract. If they want to make a splash in the offseason like their GM always tries to do, you won't be able to keep everybody. Capela currently makes $2.3 million. If he ends up making $20 million next year, the Rockets got to find an extra $17 million.

If they make the WCF or better, I think Paul takes a pay cut, and Houston eats the rest of the luxury tax. Right now, without CP3 or Ariza and minus Capella's cap hold, they have $77M in salary next year. I can see Houston going to $120M to retain those 3, and then trying to move Anderson again.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Capela must be good. Cause Rockets didn't part with him in a rumored Clippers trade for Jordan this summer. That was before the CP3 trade even.

Driven
12-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Capela must be good. Cause Rockets didn't part with him in a rumored Clippers trade for Jordan this summer. That was before the CP3 trade even.

To be fair, for a team with title aspirations, getting Capela's production at $2.3 million is probably more worthwhile than getting Jordan's production at nearly 10 times that number.

HeartOfStarks
12-05-2017, 05:52 PM

As a Knicks fan this makes me happy, FOIST!

TrueFan420
12-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Morey is more than willing to pay for superstars, but he hasn't been willing to overpay to keep role players. Capela is somewhere between the two, which makes him a tough player to assign value to.

This reminds me of draymonds progression and judging his value to us vs the league. Do you think capella can take the step from in between to essential piece/top player?

Saddletramp
12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
He's underpaid right now but I have a feeling he's about to get overpaid. I really like him and he's been playing great but ivasically co-sign everything MBT said.

LA4life24/8
12-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Hes been as good as harden/cp3s play has allowed him to be

TrueFan420
12-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Hes been as good as harden/cp3s play has allowed him to be
I haven't seen enough of him this year to comment but that's what a lot of people said about Draymond and what Curry, Kerr and Klay did for him. A few years later people began to except that he's just a very good player in his own right. He may never be a traditional #1 type but what's the chances he's closer to that situation than just a really good role player overpreformig?

FlashBolt
12-06-2017, 02:13 AM
Capela has been the 2nd best rebounder per48. Slightly below Drummond. 26 PER. His role has been to finish lobs, putbacks, and rebound but this guy has been very efficient. He might be a system guy because with all those shooters/the type of offense they run, he's getting some pretty easy responsibilities. I like him a lot, though.

Driven
12-06-2017, 10:03 AM
I've mentioned this before, but Capela doesn't get as many minutes as he should or as he will some day. He's still under 26 MPG. He's going to have a bigger role than that.

He is a system guy. But when you're able to develop in a system it can pay off. You're able to become a very good player. Like a Draymond Green. Patrick Beverley was also a system guy for the Rockets. He really had no business being in the league. But his offensive game was developed with the Rockets, and became an adequate offensive player.

Capela has raw skills and has shown a good understanding of the game and continuous development in all areas. He has very good awareness under the basket and can finish with more than just lobs and dunks. Very athletic as well.

FlashBolt
12-06-2017, 01:39 PM
I've mentioned this before, but Capela doesn't get as many minutes as he should or as he will some day. He's still under 26 MPG. He's going to have a bigger role than that.

He is a system guy. But when you're able to develop in a system it can pay off. You're able to become a very good player. Like a Draymond Green. Patrick Beverley was also a system guy for the Rockets. He really had no business being in the league. But his offensive game was developed with the Rockets, and became an adequate offensive player.

Capela has raw skills and has shown a good understanding of the game and continuous development in all areas. He has very good awareness under the basket and can finish with more than just lobs and dunks. Very athletic as well.

Well, now is his time to get a big contract. I don't see him having as much success on another team but his value is definitely a bit inflated. I think they purposely might be playing him fewer minutes so his numbers aren't going to be as attractive = he won't get bigger offers.