PDA

View Full Version : Donavan Mitchell: First rookie with 40 points since Blake

JasonJohnHorn
12-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Jazz fans were understandably bummed when they lost Gordon, but it looks like they've got a promising replacement.

Donavan Mitchell is the first rookie to get 40 points since Blake did it almost a decade ago.

And he's posting solid stats. Over 3 boards and 3 assists a game with a steal and a half to book. 16+ ppg shooting nearly .370 from the arc.

Gotta get those turnovers down and bring up is percentage inside the arc, but this kid looks like a stud.

Kudos for the 40-game.

Thoughts on this guy? Jazz fans... you excited about him?

JAZZNC
12-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Very, very excited about this kid! He certainly has a lot of things to improve on but he isn't afraid of the moment or other players. He's certainly giving the fan base some hope.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
12-02-2017, 11:35 AM
My Bucks wanted to move up from #17 to land either Mitchell or Monk. We had no takers. Not sure what we were offering.

Scoots
12-02-2017, 12:04 PM
It's the length of the kid that makes his potential so high. He's compact which makes him quick, but his length lets him play taller than he is. As his shot improves he's going to just get better.

warfelg
12-02-2017, 12:19 PM
It's the length of the kid that makes his potential so high. He's compact which makes him quick, but his length lets him play taller than he is. As his shot improves he's going to just get better.

Playing off ball helps too. He was asked to play on ball in Louisville and it kinda hurt his draft stock because playing more PG took away from his skills (scoring) and played to his weaknesses (passing).

Firefistus
12-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Playing off ball helps too. He was asked to play on ball in Louisville and it kinda hurt his draft stock because playing more PG took away from his skills (scoring) and played to his weaknesses (passing).

With Raul Neto and Dante Exum being out he actually plays point when Rubio is sitting. But it's LITERALLY something he learned in the last month. He's still working on it, but his vision is actually really good. His body style is very similar to Russel Westbrook, but with longer arms. People compare him to Damien Lillard, who he's actually getting close to stats wise, but I personally feel he's more athletic than Damien Lillard. Some of the dunks he does are just astonishing.

I watched every summer game and season game the Jazz have played so far, and this summer I was telling people he's going to be special. The first month is where he struggled, and that's the only reason his PPG isn't 20+ right now. He had horrible shot selection, wasn't passing the ball nearly enough, but his defense was great.

It was enough to keep him on the floor (In Snyders system if you play defense well you get more minutes, he will pull you the minute you have a poor defensive play). As a result of the coaches working with him to make better shot selection, and teach him where and when to look for passes, he's just really taken it all in and he's been astonishing these last 7 games.

He probably won't get ROY, Simmons is playing so well it would surprise me if it happened, but it's fun that he's in the conversation of #2.

But the BEST part, and the most exciting part for Jazz fans, is Mitchell was trained and coached by Darrell Griffith. A man who was drafted by Utah in the 80's, and the last rookie for Utah to score 40 points in a game. As a result of that Mitchell's #1 destination was Utah, he wanted to play here, and every time he's interviewed he talks about how much he loves being in Utah. You can't ask anymore out of a player if you're a Jazz fan.

tp13baby
12-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Bitter that Denver continues to make draft night trades to Utah at this point. Projected him to be ROY so Iím not surprised about what he is doing.

fadeaway3s
12-02-2017, 01:51 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Jennings

warfelg
12-02-2017, 01:56 PM
With Raul Neto and Dante Exum being out he actually plays point when Rubio is sitting.

I was referencing more to when he was in college.

eDush
12-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Jazz fans were understandably bummed when they lost Gordon, but it looks like they've got a promising replacement.

Donavan Mitchell is the first rookie to get 40 points since Blake did it almost a decade ago.

And he's posting solid stats. Over 3 boards and 3 assists a game with a steal and a half to book. 16+ ppg shooting nearly .370 from the arc.

Gotta get those turnovers down and bring up is percentage inside the arc, but this kid looks like a stud.

Kudos for the 40-game.

Thoughts on this guy? Jazz fans... you excited about him?I would trade Hayward for Mitchell all day long and the future is bright in Utah :nod:

Firefistus
12-02-2017, 11:57 PM
I would trade Hayward for Mitchell all day long and the future is bright in Utah :nod:

Haywards career high is 40 points, it took Mitchell 20 games to beat that.

c.c.
12-04-2017, 10:05 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Jennings

Jennings came to my mind too

FlashBolt
12-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Reminds me of CJ McCollum. Probably will be his ceiling as well. Not bad for a rookie.

Tg11
12-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Donovan Mitchell has potential I mean if he keeps up with the numbers he is putting up I think he could not only win Rookie of the Year but he could be a potential future star in this league

Scoots
12-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Reminds me of CJ McCollum. Probably will be his ceiling as well. Not bad for a rookie.

He's probably not going to grow to be the shooter McCollum is, but every other part of Mitchell's game could/should surpass McCollum.

FlashBolt
12-06-2017, 01:30 PM
He's probably not going to grow to be the shooter McCollum is, but every other part of Mitchell's game could/should surpass McCollum.

And he's getting better, too. If he can keep this up, Ben Simmons has competition for ROY.

Tg11
12-07-2017, 09:53 AM
And he's getting better, too. If he can keep this up, Ben Simmons has competition for ROY.

Yeah I know right the thing about Donavan Mitchell is that he is putting up consistent numbers as a rookie

europagnpilgrim
12-07-2017, 10:41 AM
good for the kid, hope he plays a nice 10yrs plus in the league, this type of outburst makes me appreciate rookies in the past like a Iverson who went for like 4-5 straight games of 40+ breaking the Dippers rookie record, hopefully Mitchell can put up a similar streak

I have only watched highlights of this guy and reminds me of a JR Rider type with his build and style(he is more flashier than he is letting on to be,his ego will explode soon), good player but nothing super special

Tg11
12-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Donavan Mitchell in some ways he reminds me a lot of CJ McCollum but also reminds me sort of like Michael Redd

JAZZNC
12-07-2017, 07:19 PM

I believe he has hit more 3's through 25 games than any rookie in NBA history. He's doing special stuff out there. I feel like the Jennings comparisons are kinda weak, just simply looking at a guy who scored a bunch in a game his rookie year. McCollum is OK but Mitchell can play some semblance of D and he is much more athletic.

Tg11
12-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Yes he is which is why he has been a steal from this past year's Draft if anything Utah going forward they can actually build their franchise around him

rimgrazers
12-08-2017, 04:31 AM
Dude is the real deal!

Tg11
12-08-2017, 09:47 AM
If he is the real deal then the Jazz can build around him as being the next face of their franchise

Firefistus
12-08-2017, 02:20 PM
We've been calling him a Don-of-a-Mitch lately in Utah. I kinda like it.

FlashBolt
12-08-2017, 02:26 PM
I believe he has hit more 3's through 25 games than any rookie in NBA history. He's doing special stuff out there. I feel like the Jennings comparisons are kinda weak, just simply looking at a guy who scored a bunch in a game his rookie year. McCollum is OK but Mitchell can play some semblance of D and he is much more athletic.

Idk. His game reminds me of a scorer. Kinda like Beal/McCollum. Not a bad comparison at all but do you think he's franchise changing? We've seen very good guards in their rookie season. Anyone remember Tyreke's rookie season? And how he was one of like three players to average 20/5/5 in their rookie season?

WaDe03
12-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Normally when players are compared to Wade out of college they end up being ****ing garbage. Mitchell seems to be on the right track so far and Oladipo looks like he's finally starting to get it.

Tg11
12-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Donavan Mitchell if he keeps up his consistency then he definitely could challenge Ben Simmons in the Rookie of the Year voting that's for sure but as far as long term Utah had their glory days of Stockton and Malone and then with Deron Williams and company and then with Hayward up until he left Utah so could he be that once in a lifetime player that you can go hey he just might be something special...he just might be that guy who can turn us into a contender

JAZZNC
12-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Idk. His game reminds me of a scorer. Kinda like Beal/McCollum. Not a bad comparison at all but do you think he's franchise changing? We've seen very good guards in their rookie season. Anyone remember Tyreke's rookie season? And how he was one of like three players to average 20/5/5 in their rookie season?

I'm not gonna say he's a franchise changing player yet. I think next year will be the best barometer of that. For now I'm just excited about an exciting young player that's taking the sting outta losing Hayward. At the very least he'll be a solid player for a while and has proven already he's an NBA player. He has a lot of work to do, has to turn the ball over less, shoot better inside the arc, learn to use his left hand. Lots of areas to improve and hopefully he will. He's already gotten better so all I can hope is that he continues that.

As far as comparisons I don't think there are any at this point that really make sense. It's natural to want to make comparisons but maybe he's a little like Bledsoe with his build and explosiveness. Maybe a little like a short Wade with a little better jumper??? But that's not fair to him to compare him to an all time great at this point. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride.