11-27-2017, 05:26 PM

Htownballa1622
11-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Whoa...at least they have a capable backup :smoking:

JK

TRADE MARC!(I know they won't)

Firefistus
11-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Wonder if they're going to go into full tank mode now.

warfelg
11-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Not shocked TBH.

kdspurman
11-27-2017, 05:39 PM

Celticsfan2007
11-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Not shocked TBH.

Nostradamus here

warfelg
11-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Nostradamus here

What does not being shocked have to do with being Nostradamus?

Underachieving team + unhappy star = fired coach 99% of the time.

TheMightyHumph
11-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Watched Nets-Grizz yesterday. No Gasol in 4th qtr. Made me wonder.

I have no stopped wondering.

MJNetsIsles
11-27-2017, 06:03 PM
The Nets destroyed them last night. That's why. ;-)

Firefistus
11-27-2017, 06:05 PM
I personally didn't like Fizdale. I always felt like he was too much of a woe-is-me kind of coach.

Phantom Dreamer
11-27-2017, 06:17 PM
"They're Not Going to Rook Us" and Take That for Data."
He will be missed.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Wade and Lebron not happy

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/lebron-james-dwyane-wade-david-fizdale-firing/412237

They've got a point. Fitz was pretty widely respected around the league.

europagnpilgrim
11-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Him benching Gasol for entire 4th cost him that, especially since Gasol was reportedly befuddled by the non 4th qtr action

you don't do that to so called '''elite''' players, all jokes aside Gasol isn't nowhere near an elite player but he has a soft nice shooting touch for a big and he gets his Vlade Divac on here and there with some good assists and some how wins DPOY while not making 1st team all defense

Boston should be on this Gasol watch once they try to get Boogie and strikeout because they could use a big active body who can create eve more space for that Irving ''kid'' with Horford also capable of doing it, Irving would be drooling with all that space to operate with

effen5
11-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Memphis fires winning coaches

Celticsfan2007
11-27-2017, 07:12 PM
What does not being shocked have to do with being Nostradamus?

Underachieving team + unhappy star = fired coach 99% of the time.

I guess you are just smarter than all of us. Plus, your math is impeccable.

Anyways, no one saw this coming (except Warfleg). Fizdale was barely into his second season after leading MEM to the PO's last year. He lost multiple "grindhouse" player off last seasons team and most expected them to struggle quite a bit this season.

Losing 8 in row sucks, but benching Gasol in the 4th Q once shouldn't get a coach fired.

Memphis has now fired 3 coaches after making the playoffs (Hollins, Joergor and now Fizdale). Sounds like bad ownership, and I'd be very hesitant to take that job in the offseason if I'm a HC candidate..

warfelg
11-27-2017, 07:17 PM
I didn't see it coming, but I'm also not shocked that it happened. Amazing how that can happen.

In all honesty there's only 3 coaches I would be shocked if they were fired. Pops, Kerr, Stevens. Outside of that there's no coach that's immune IMO. Add in Memphis's propensity to fire decent coaches and I'm not that shocked.

MJNetsIsles
11-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Memphis reminds me of the Nets a few years back. Avery Johnson, Lionel Hollins, PJ Carlesimo, and Jason Kidd. Big named coaches but they couldn't get it done. Thankfully we seem to have struck gold with Kenny Atkinson and Sean Marks. Our record doesn't show it yet because of Billy King destroying the franchise for years, but come 2019 and beyond the Nets will be a different franchise in the NBA. We finally found a real coach and GM. Maybe I'm being biased, but I think Kenny Atkinson is a top coach in this league. Players love him. I was a fan of Jason Kidd and PJ Carlesimo as well, but in tandem with Billy King it just didn't work out. I'm waiting patiently for the Nets to build around Russell, Levert, Hollis Jefferson, and Allen. Soon. Soon. Soon.

MJNetsIsles
11-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Memphis should look to replace their GM. It starts at the top. The Head Coach being fired is just a save face type of move to spare the GM's *****.

FlashBolt
11-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Marc Gasol is a coach-killer?

FlashBolt
11-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Wtf? J.B. Bickerstaff? Isn't this the clown who coached the Rockets for a bit after McHale was fired? This guy just keeps getting into these lucky situations.

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Well... with a team with that much talent, an 8-game losing streak is a bit much. People might feel like it was Gasol's comments after the game, or the thrashing they took from the Nets, but at the end of the day, a 50-win team in on an 8-game losing streak.

But he's 2-10 over the last 12 games, lost 8 in a row. I think the team expected some improvement when the dropped Hollins, and when they just started to slowly regress, they expected Joerger, the expected somebody to turn it around. I guess Fizdale was supposed to be that guy. He hasn't been. The tread water last year and came away with essentially the same record. This year... they've fallen in the swamp.

I don't put it all on Fizdale myself. I mean... they lost Zach and Allen, both of whom were getting older and regressing. Parsons is back this year, and playing like the guy they gave that sick contract to, but he hasn't been getting too many minutes of too many shots.

But they do got Tyreke Evans, who has been playing well for them. They picked up Ben McLemore, who has been posting horrid numbers unseen in his career. Green, Davis and Wright are filling failr well for Zach: all hitting the shots they get and rebounding fairly well.

On paper, this team should be as good as they were under Hollins, or at least Joerger.

Somebody has to answer. I guess they picked this dude.

aman_13
11-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Drama in Memphis. It will be interesting to hear how this all came about.

FlashBolt
11-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Drama in Memphis. It will be interesting to hear how this all came about.

Toronto is being mentioned as a trade destination. If Memphis wants him gone, they will have no problem doing so.

kobe4thewinbang
11-27-2017, 11:09 PM
Ouch. Fans aren't going to be happy about that after him sticking up for the team last season. They did need a change, though, after years of stagnancy. Not sure if coach was the right thing to cut. They just can't find any real scorers, and Mike Conley has talent, but Parsons is never going to work out for them so they're spinning wheels. I would have never given Conley that deal, as I said at the time. They just have nobody outside of Conley and Gasol. We'll see...

tp13baby
11-27-2017, 11:45 PM
Fitz isnít to blame. Conley hurt, Gasol ainít elite and not much else in terms of talent on that roster.

GM is the problem, Parsons, Conley and a mixture of nothing from drafts while losing system players

aman_13
11-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Toronto is being mentioned as a trade destination. If Memphis wants him gone, they will have no problem doing so.

Do you think he's worth it? I'm honestly not sure.

FlashBolt
11-27-2017, 11:50 PM
Do you think he's worth it? I'm honestly not sure.

He's still one of the best defenders and passers at the C position. Still easily a top five C. I can see teams where he could turn them into legitimate contenders such as the Wizards. He'd easily make the Cavs much better.

aman_13
11-27-2017, 11:53 PM
He's still one of the best defenders and passers at the C position. Still easily a top five C. I can see teams where he could turn them into legitimate contenders such as the Wizards. He'd easily make the Cavs much better.

His age and effeciency scare me though.

WaDe03
11-28-2017, 12:06 AM
In before he ends up with the Cavs or Heat.

FlashBolt
11-28-2017, 12:08 AM
His age and effeciency scare me though.

His age scares me too which is why I think Cavs can't overpay for him either. But on the other hand, he's a Gasol and their game ages really well. You can't really teach some of the things the Gasol brothers can do. If he can at least give you two seasons like he did last year, it'll be worth it for many teams. He's for sure a huge upgrade over TT. Also, Jose and Marc are really good friends through their Olympics games together. As for his efficiency, that probably has more to do with the changes in that roster. Losing Z-Bo and then having J.Green (Who is a decent off the bench player but not really that good) come into the lineup probably causes some of that inefficiency. Under the right team, he shouldn't have a problem getting that in the higher 40's area. Marc Gasol+Love duo would be helpful for both players. Love can allow Marc some space to post up and find cutters, Love can finally be relieved of defensive duties.. as good as TT can be sometimes on help defense, he's just average covering his own defender and he makes too many silly mistakes. TT might have the advantage in rebounding but Gasol clearly beats him at every other area.

FlashBolt
11-28-2017, 12:09 AM
Fitz isnít to blame. Conley hurt, Gasol ainít elite and not much else in terms of talent on that roster.

GM is the problem, Parsons, Conley and a mixture of nothing from drafts while losing system players

Gasol is elite. He's just not a player who you can force to carry a team as the top guy. It's a bit like Draymond. Certain players have elite skills but they need to be put into the right situation for it to work. Gasol isn't a 1st option player. Maybe like a 2nd-3rd at this point on a championship team. How many C's are better than him out there and can also do what he does on both ends?

aman_13
11-28-2017, 12:56 AM
His age scares me too which is why I think Cavs can't overpay for him either. But on the other hand, he's a Gasol and their game ages really well. You can't really teach some of the things the Gasol brothers can do. If he can at least give you two seasons like he did last year, it'll be worth it for many teams. He's for sure a huge upgrade over TT. Also, Jose and Marc are really good friends through their Olympics games together. As for his efficiency, that probably has more to do with the changes in that roster. Losing Z-Bo and then having J.Green (Who is a decent off the bench player but not really that good) come into the lineup probably causes some of that inefficiency. Under the right team, he shouldn't have a problem getting that in the higher 40's area. Marc Gasol+Love duo would be helpful for both players. Love can allow Marc some space to post up and find cutters, Love can finally be relieved of defensive duties.. as good as TT can be sometimes on help defense, he's just average covering his own defender and he makes too many silly mistakes. TT might have the advantage in rebounding but Gasol clearly beats him at every other area.

I was looking at pick and roll stats earlier and my only concern for the Cavs as a fit is the frequency they run the pick and roll and how much Marc likes to score off pick and roll plays.

The Cavs rank right at the bottom.

WaDe03
11-28-2017, 01:02 AM
I was looking at pick and roll stats earlier and my only concern for the Cavs as a fit is the frequency they run the pick and roll and how much Marc likes to score off pick and roll plays.

That probably has a lot to do with TT being a complete 0 on offense. Idk about IT but Wade and LeBron are elite PnR players. Gasol can score in many different ways though so I wouldn't be worried.

aman_13
11-28-2017, 01:06 AM
That probably has a lot to do with TT being a complete 0 on offense. Idk about IT but Wade and LeBron are elite PnR players. Gasol can score in many different ways though so I wouldn't be worried.

But teams are also trying to get away from pick and roll to be less predictable. You are right though, TT being out skews that stat.

WaDe03
11-28-2017, 01:09 AM
But teams are also trying to get away from pick and roll to be less predictable. You are right though, TT being out skews that stat.

True but they can work it in every now and then, it can't really be shut down with a player like Gasol who can roll or pop, especially running it with guys who can attack like LeBron Wade and IT. I think he would fit very well. Can shoot from anywhere, good post game, good defense, and great passing.

aman_13
11-28-2017, 01:13 AM
True but they can work it in every now and then, it can't really be shut down with a player like Gasol who can roll or pop, especially running it with guys who can attack like LeBron Wade and IT. I think he would fit very well. Can shoot from anywhere, good post game, good defense, and great passing.

Yeah based on personal, it can be a seemless transition. I was looking at what some of the top teams are doing though and it was interesting to see the trend in less pick and roll. The Warriors are are right at the bottom and even a team like the Pelicans who run their offense through elite bigs are as well.

It has a lot to do with teams switching on defense. The league is adjusting.

eDush
11-28-2017, 02:23 AM
Memphis reminds me of the Nets a few years back. Avery Johnson, Lionel Hollins, PJ Carlesimo, and Jason Kidd. Big named coaches but they couldn't get it done. Thankfully we seem to have struck gold with Kenny Atkinson and Sean Marks. Our record doesn't show it yet because of Billy King destroying the franchise for years, but come 2019 and beyond the Nets will be a different franchise in the NBA. We finally found a real coach and GM. Maybe I'm being biased, but I think Kenny Atkinson is a top coach in this league. Players love him. I was a fan of Jason Kidd and PJ Carlesimo as well, but in tandem with Billy King it just didn't work out. I'm waiting patiently for the Nets to build around Russell, Levert, Hollis Jefferson, and Allen. Soon. Soon. Soon.They should hire Monty Williams, one of the best head coaches that emphasize defense. Players are willing to put maximum effort for him :clap:

FlashBolt
11-28-2017, 03:07 AM

His passing and defense is all they need. He can also spread the floor and block shots. Don't really need P&R's when you're capable of shooting lights out. But IT can change that. Dude loves the P&R. Problem with the Cavs is they don't really have the frontcourt players to fully utilize it but they pick and choose when to do it and it works out fine for them. Love is always spreading the floor and TT can't do it every time. But it's not like Marc was on a team that really played that way, either. I'm not sure where you're finding the statistics on it but they're probably up there in terms of finishing the play due to TT.

BKLYNpigeon
11-28-2017, 03:49 AM
Obviously the Grizzlies chose Gasol over Fiz. I don't think the Griz are trading him away anytime soon.

Meth
11-28-2017, 07:21 AM
Never really watched the Grizzlies. I really only remember him more as the Heat assistant. Is he a good coach? I know he's respected amongst players, but where does he rank among the good coaches in the league?

Blitzbolt
11-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Grizz fan here <<<

There is nothing wrong with Gasol or Conley if you ask me they are both on their prime and playing well.

The issue is Parsons one of the worst contracts in recent history ....it pretty much set us back 4 to 7 years is that bad.You could put pop as our coach and we will still lose you can't win games 2 on 5 and when Conley when down it exposed how awful2 Fiz is at coaching.

He is great at press conferences and a average coach.

Chronz
11-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Well... with a team with that much talent, an 8-game losing streak is a bit much. People might feel like it was Gasol's comments after the game, or the thrashing they took from the Nets, but at the end of the day, a 50-win team in on an 8-game losing streak.

But he's 2-10 over the last 12 games, lost 8 in a row. I think the team expected some improvement when the dropped Hollins, and when they just started to slowly regress, they expected Joerger, the expected somebody to turn it around. I guess Fizdale was supposed to be that guy. He hasn't been. The tread water last year and came away with essentially the same record. This year... they've fallen in the swamp.

I don't put it all on Fizdale myself. I mean... they lost Zach and Allen, both of whom were getting older and regressing. Parsons is back this year, and playing like the guy they gave that sick contract to, but he hasn't been getting too many minutes of too many shots.

But they do got Tyreke Evans, who has been playing well for them. They picked up Ben McLemore, who has been posting horrid numbers unseen in his career. Green, Davis and Wright are filling failr well for Zach: all hitting the shots they get and rebounding fairly well.

On paper, this team should be as good as they were under Hollins, or at least Joerger.

Hollins actually held the team back and I disagree completely with your talent on paper .

smith&wesson
11-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Doesn't make much sense..The Twolves, Thunder, Rockets, Nuggets all made significant moves to be relevant and compete in the west.

What did Memphis do ?? You can fire the coach but you didn't give him a chance to compete in the first place. Conley, Gasol and the funky bunch isn't winning you many games in the west with out more help.

The owners must know it's rebuilding time. They can play revolving door with their coaches all they want. No ones coaching that team out of the west.

smith&wesson
11-28-2017, 12:11 PM

On paper they suck and even more so on the court.

Yes Carter, Randolph, and Allen are old but they were a big part of that team and it's success.

The team has regressed a bit since being under Hollins and, or Joerger... also the teams around them simply got that much better while the grizzlies did not much to keep up and the results show.

lol, please
11-28-2017, 12:46 PM
In before he ends up with the Cavs or Heat.He will go to the Raptors, and I won't shut up about the Raptors winning the east when they do

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Also factor in Grizzlies lost Carter,ZBO and Allen for veteran help.

Jamiecballer
11-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Things are definitely lining up here to end up in Toronto. Despite not having name reputation yet the Raptors bench of almost entirely youth has been scary good so far this year. They committed to Derozan and Lowry core, it's time to leverage those young players to finally take their shot.

tredigs
11-28-2017, 03:12 PM
It's all together possible that Gasol called their GM Chris Wallace up after the benching and gave them an ultimatum of him requesting a trade if they wanted to keep Fiz.

Lol at the arrogance of Bron and Wade demanding "answers" from Memphis btw. He's not your coach, stfu.

smith&wesson
11-28-2017, 03:15 PM
It's all together possible that Gasol called their GM Chris Wallace up after the benching and gave them an ultimatum of him requesting a trade if they wanted to keep Fiz.

Lol at the arrogance of Bron and Wade demanding "answers" from Memphis btw. He's not your coach, stfu.

Lol at Lebron and Wade.. they better stay focused on their season.

kdspurman
11-28-2017, 03:21 PM

I thought it was ironic for LeBron to comment on it. Like he forgot about Blatt, and Spo to a lesser extent.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-28-2017, 03:28 PM
I thought it was ironic for LeBron to comment on it. Like he forgot about Blatt, and Spo to a lesser extent.

I was thinking the same haha

WaDe03
11-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Lol at Lebron and Wade.. they better stay focused on their season.

They looked pretty focused last night.

BKLYNpigeon
11-28-2017, 03:35 PM

lol seriously.

smith&wesson
11-28-2017, 04:34 PM
They looked pretty focused last night.

Just saying they have bigger things to concern them selves with. I mean it's a team in the west that's not even in the playoff. What do they care what's going on over there. Stay focused on the task at hand.

TylerSL
11-29-2017, 05:56 AM
It's a joke that the Grizzlies fired David Fizdale, they are on the down slide and he was keeping them respectable. Mike Conley is overpaid and injury prone, Marc Gasol is 32 and no longer the best center in the game. The team has seen veteran stars like Zach Randolph, Tony Allen, Rudy Gay, and Vince Carter all depart. The team has had a winning record for seven consecutive seasons prior to this year but their core is getting old. Fizdale brought an attitude to the team and this will hurt them in the long run.

This decision was probably made by the owner because he wanted to appease Marc Gasol, who will sell tickets. It was choosing a player who has short-term value over a coach who would have had long-term value. The Memphis Grizzlies will be much worse off now that they have done this, and they may end up trading Gasol before all is said and done anyway. Their down slide will continue until the Gasol/Conley era is over. Fizdale deserved better than this and I hope he gets another coaching job again soon. Memphis let a good coach slip through their fingers, which they have done before.