PDA

View Full Version : PSD now allowing embedded images and GIFs

ThomasTomasz
11-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Members of PSD,

After deliberation amongst the moderating staff, we are now allowing all users to embed images and GIFs into your posts. Please follow these rules (which will also be added to the Site Rules thread) for posting images and GIFs:

-Embedded images and GIFs must be the same size as signature images, which is 500 wide x 170 tall (pixels).

-Images or GIFs that contain any of the following will be removed and may eventually lead to infractions that equal to the corresponding rule (i.e. baiting, trolling, racism, etc.)

Sexually provocative images (NSFW)
Illegal drugs
Curse words or images representing foul language
Baiting other teams or users
Violating any other rule on PSD

This announcement will also be posted and stickied in each of the main sports forums. Moderators and Team Managers are welcome to post the announcement in your own forum as well. Please contact myself or Rush, or post in those threads with any questions.

-Thomas

Chronz
11-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Praise the maker

Giannis94
11-18-2017, 06:10 PM
So seeing I don't see otherwise, I assume politic themed ones are free game?

Jamiecballer
11-18-2017, 08:36 PM

This reeks of desperation. Without better controls on the quality of assets that are allowed (and simple size constraints is not adequate) this is going to bog down page loading just as it did before.

tredigs
11-19-2017, 01:30 AM
Members of PSD,

After deliberation amongst the moderating staff, we are now allowing all users to embed images and GIFs into your posts. Please follow these rules (which will also be added to the Site Rules thread) for posting images and GIFs:

-Embedded images and GIFs must be the same size as signature images, which is 500 wide x 170 tall (pixels).

-Images or GIFs that contain any of the following will be removed and may eventually lead to infractions that equal to the corresponding rule (i.e. baiting, trolling, racism, etc.)

Sexually provocative images (NSFW)
Illegal drugs
Curse words or images representing foul language
Baiting other teams or users
Violating any other rule on PSD

This announcement will also be posted and stickied in each of the main sports forums. Moderators and Team Managers are welcome to post the announcement in your own forum as well. Please contact myself or Rush, or post in those threads with any questions.

-Thomas

Do the powers that be still not understand how to portray one post after another? Because frankly at this point you guys need to get back to the basics.

This site is a friend to me but my God are you guys a ****ing mess right now.

tredigs
11-19-2017, 01:43 AM
I mean this sincerely PSD. Handle your "I don't know what order posts go in" issue first, then, deliver your party favors. Until you handle this most basic of concepts, NOBODY will come in new and take you seriously. Do you grasp that, guys?

ThomasTomasz
11-19-2017, 02:46 AM
I mean this sincerely PSD. Handle your "I don't know what order posts go in" issue first, then, deliver your party favors. Until you handle this most basic of concepts, NOBODY will come in new and take you seriously. Do you grasp that, guys?

As I said in your PM, Rush and I are community managers. We have no power over the back end, that is on an IT group that runs multiple sites. We've brought it up many times, but something always seems to take precedence over it. We are trying to address what we have control over- which is something like this- because we don't have control over anything on the back end.

ThomasTomasz
11-19-2017, 02:47 AM

I will probably amend it to include political ones, but if you think you can post one within the site rules, by all means, go for it.

ThomasTomasz
11-19-2017, 02:48 AM
This reeks of desperation. Without better controls on the quality of assets that are allowed (and simple size constraints is not adequate) this is going to bog down page loading just as it did before.

From what I've researched and been told, that was an issue with software 10 years ago. I was essentially given the go-ahead to do this and was told that it shouldn't be a problem.

lakerfan85
11-19-2017, 09:37 AM
I agree with tredigs.. The damn site needs to be fixed bad. Who gives a crap about embedding **** when the damn posts are always out of order??!

Vee-Rex
11-19-2017, 12:14 PM
I agree with tredigs.. The damn site needs to be fixed bad. Who gives a crap about embedding **** when the damn posts are always out of order??!

https://i.imgflip.com/pdc5b.jpg

Giannis94
11-19-2017, 12:28 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/pdc5b.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnDC8WjdNqUPXnq/giphy.gif

ThomasTomasz
11-19-2017, 02:32 PM

And it's been reported and in the hands of the people who are in charge of that. I only have power to make decisions on the board, and I don't even work for SDI/Covers.

Jamiecballer
11-19-2017, 10:22 PM
From what I've researched and been told, that was an issue with software 10 years ago. I was essentially given the go-ahead to do this and was told that it shouldn't be a problem.

Easy enough to test. I'll find out right now.

What do you mean by "software"? In general?

5ass
11-19-2017, 10:56 PM
No memes please.

tredigs
11-20-2017, 12:51 AM
And it's been reported and in the hands of the people who are in charge of that. I only have power to make decisions on the board, and I don't even work for SDI/Covers.

I understand you have no control of this. It is simultaneously hilarious and pathetic that they have not managed to handle that issue in over half a year though. Just close down the site if you can not handle this most basic of tasks.

Jamiecballer
11-20-2017, 09:07 AM
hey guys, how are you all enjoying the mobile experience this morning ...

https://d2v4zi8pl64nxt.cloudfront.net/how-to-improve-your-site-s-performance-when-using-gifs/5862d0c7b254a9.35217227.gif

lovely weather we are having ...

https://d2v4zi8pl64nxt.cloudfront.net/how-to-improve-your-site-s-performance-when-using-gifs/5862d0c7b254a9.35217227.gif

D-Leethal
11-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the 21st century.

Jamiecballer
11-20-2017, 09:47 AM
I understand you have no control of this. It is simultaneously hilarious and pathetic that they have not managed to handle that issue in over half a year though. Just close down the site if you can not handle this most basic of tasks.

the people who own the site may not have the capabilities to edit the core platform and the product itself is dated. they moved on to vbulletin 5 a long time ago. i hate to sound pessimistic but they may never fix the issue.

Jamiecballer
11-20-2017, 09:49 AM
okay so this is appropriate to the conversation at hand. while i was testing out how the gifs would impact page load i notice there is already someone in this thread adding 4 mb with their own.

IKnowHoops
11-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Praise the maker

Is that a Marvel reference by chance?

Giannis94
11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Is that a Marvel reference by chance?

Nah. It's a Bucks rference.

Scoots
11-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Nah. It's a Bucks rference.

lol

BKLYNpigeon
11-20-2017, 07:10 PM
how do you upload the gif?

Vee-Rex
11-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Next we just need to be able to like posts and we're all set.

ThomasTomasz
11-21-2017, 01:10 AM
Easy enough to test. I'll find out right now.

What do you mean by "software"? In general?

With vBulletin 3.x and the servers they had back then

FlashBolt
11-21-2017, 05:12 PM
As someone who has owned my own forums in the past, it is a whole lot more work than you think and the communities are constantly shrinking. Not just people who are willing to post on forums, but also those who used to be involved in creating plug-in products, skins, etc.

I'm working on trying to get things fixed here, I really am, but right now we are on a holding pattern with everything.

I could imagine. Thanks for your work. Any idea what's keeping the search function from not working?

Giannis94
11-22-2017, 01:16 PM
i could imagine. Thanks for your work. Any idea what's keeping the search function from not working?

russia!

aman_13
11-22-2017, 03:25 PM