PDA

View Full Version : The Mavericks are a greasefire.

kobe4thewinbang
11-17-2017, 01:36 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nerlens-noel-hanging-thread-mavericks-233929450.html

Coach Carlisle pretentiously saying "Minutes are earned" as Dirk continues to dance a jig on defense. That crap is just horrible and embarrassing. Damn sure Noel wouldn't be out there tap dancing. Yes, it seems that Noel has an attitude problem and ego/reality disparity, but other than Dennis Smith Jr looking polished and getting LeBron's endorsement, what are the Mavericks doing?

They're still banking on 5'2" Barea to be clutch and on the Warriors-reject Harrison Barnes. I don't even know the player that is supposedly "outplaying" Noel for minutes. It's just so arrogant. I'm starting to think the Mavericks aren't as well-run as I thought in the past. They whiffed on big name free agents time and time again, and now they're trying to treat Noel like he's lucky to be a Dallas Maverick, but I can't blame him if he's going to take the Bledsoe route on this one by year's end.

It's one thing to not give him a huge deal and make him "earn" a big contract next summer, but if he can't even get on the court, he's gonna get more frustrated. And if he's on the court, then watching Dirk flail like an epileptic on defense will be more frustrating and if he's not playing then it must hurt to watch Smith Jr set up other players instead of helping him look good.

Long term, what the heck are the Mavs going to do? I saw a report the other day that Cuban is hoping Dirk will consider playing in the 18-19 season. Seriously? They are spinning their wheels and their wheels don't even have hubcaps at this point.

tp13baby
11-17-2017, 01:49 AM
Dirk is getting minutes much like Kobe got his. Dallas was never in fact a playoff team, anyone thought they might be was wishful thinking.

Dallas has okay pieces, Barnes is far from a reject. Itís a nice piece, Noel is a Defensive nice piece. I love Smith. They need more pieces but a grease fire? They knew from the start what this season was going to look like.

Scoots
11-17-2017, 01:58 AM
I don't really know what their plan is either. It seems they are sort of in a Kobe/Lakers holding pattern.

LOb0
11-17-2017, 03:02 AM
They're tanking. It's about time they do so. Dirk could play two more years and it won't make a difference. He's not taking 25 shots a game like Kobe and messing up the young guys. Mavs need to rebuild and this is the start.

KingPosey
11-17-2017, 03:35 AM
I know heís old but dirk seems like he doesnít even want to attempt a shot
Anymore

YAALREADYKNO
11-17-2017, 07:30 AM
They keep the games close they can just never finish but yeah I agree idk what rick is doing with a lineup of
Smith JR
Yogi
Matthews
Barnes
Dirk

It sucks seeing my mavs like this smh I at least want them to be the 10th-11th seed lmao

ewing
11-17-2017, 08:00 AM
you're a grease fire

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Cuban wants Dirk to return next season as well to beat a Kobe record.

Saddletramp
11-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Cuban wants Dirk to return next season as well to beat a Kobe record.

It's all about tickets at this point. They're going to suck for a few years anyway so might as well suck every last drop out of Dirk (ewwwww).

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Dirk should of retired already.

Mr.B
11-17-2017, 10:39 AM
I personally have no problem with what Carlisle is doing with Nerlens. The reason he was benched by Carlisle is because he wasnít running back on defense. He also continuously blows his defensive assignment allowing his teammates to get beat. Carlisle has a system that is proven to work if everyone buys in. Nerlens isnít buying in so he has to sit until he does.

There are not many that believe Nerlens will be back either. Why invest time in a guy that clearly does not want to be here. My bet is that they find a team that he wants to play for and work out a trade at the deadline. Would a team like the Lakers be willing to trade a guy like Julius Randle for Nerlens at the deadline?

The Mavs spent the last few years avoiding the tank, well the tank found them. They only have two players that I anticipate will be on the team within the next two years (Dennis and Barnes).

Wes Matthews is playing out of position. Heís a 3/D guy and should be coming off the bench for a playoff team. Harris is a very solid combo guard that also could help a playoff team, personally Iíd like to see him go to Golden State. And the guy that has been outplaying and out hustling Nerlens is Sala Mejri. Heís not a great player by any means but he plays 100% every second heís on the court and is actually a pretty good backup center.

They should be in position to draft in the top 3 of the next draft and get a pretty good young prospect like Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, or Porter. One of those guys will be there. They will also be one of the few teams with a lot of cap space. The days of swinging for the fences are over. They will likely use that money to add another good young prospect and upgrade the rest of their roster. It may be hard to see the plan right now but trust me, itís there.

As for Dirk, heís more than earned the right to play as long as he wants. He doesnít play heavy minutes and is a really good mentor to guys like Dennis and Barnes.

LeonFSU
11-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Maybe Dirk should come off the bench, but Dirk as a starting center is really ridiculous. They have a guy in Noel that theoretically should be able to play alongside Dirk. Some NBA teams are really overplaying these small ball lineups that have no chance to defend. Love and Dirk or some other slow-footed guy should not be playing center next to some 6'6 or 6'7 wing at PF.

Mr.B
11-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Maybe Dirk should come off the bench, but Dirk as a starting center is really ridiculous. They have a guy in Noel that theoretically should be able to play alongside Dirk. Some NBA teams are really overplaying these small ball lineups that have no chance to defend. Love and Dirk or some other slow-footed guy should not be playing center next to some 6'6 or 6'7 wing at PF.

Dirk has been saying for about 2-3 years that he even feels he should be coming off the bench. The problem is that Nerlens doesnít always play hard and is consistently blowing defensive assignments. Also Dirk hasnít been the starting center as often as you make it sound. Mejri has started the last couple of games. Also in the games that Dirk does start at center heís not playing heavy minutes.

smith&wesson
11-17-2017, 05:43 PM
They need to start building around Smith JR .. atleast they have a piece to start with.

MJNetsIsles
11-17-2017, 06:19 PM
They need to start building around Smith JR .. atleast they have a piece to start with.

The Mavericks are a mess.
Mark Cuban is a terrible business man. Stick to shark tank.

MJNetsIsles
11-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Dirk has been finished for about 2 years now. He's a shell of his former self.

LOb0
11-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Dirk has been finished for about 2 years now. He's a shell of his former self.

Well he's almost 40. It's to be expected.

LOb0
11-17-2017, 08:07 PM
The Mavericks are a mess.
Mark Cuban is a terrible business man. Stick to shark tank.

It what way? How many 50 win seasons did he have since taking over? Also a ring to go with it.

Mr.B
11-18-2017, 12:35 AM
It what way? How many 50 win seasons did he have since taking over? Also a ring to go with it.

Should be 2 rings but they got screwed in Ď06.

LOb0
11-18-2017, 12:49 AM

Cuban almost sold the team over that bull***. Glad he got revenge against Miami for that one.

FOXHOUND
11-18-2017, 01:28 AM
They're getting Marvin Bagley III, that's what they're doing. :laugh2:

FlashBolt
11-18-2017, 02:17 AM
They're ruining Dirk's career.. I don't want to picture a Dirk who can barely jog down the floor. Just retire, man. He should've retired when Timmy and KG retired. He's no longer capable of providing anything out there. Rick is still one of the best coaches but it's kinda weird how Mavs have had zero luck getting any free agents and I think it has a lot to do with them trying to make Dirk happy.

FlashBolt
11-18-2017, 02:18 AM

If we're gonna do that, it should be 1 ring because Lebron might as well have rigged it for the Mavs.

JAZZNC
11-18-2017, 04:59 AM
If we're gonna do that, it should be 1 ring because Lebron might as well have rigged it for the Mavs.

Thank you, it's been how many years and Mavs fans still complaining about the refs haha!

IndyRealist
11-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Too much money tied up in Dirk, Barnes and Matthews. They can't do anything until Dirk retires and they can shed some money. As far as Noel goes, I think they're hurting his trade value, but I think he has no intention of staying or allowing them to trade him. The Mavs are probably trying to get him to waive his no trade.

warfelg
11-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Too much money tied up in Dirk, Barnes and Matthews. They can't do anything until Dirk retires and they can shed some money. As far as Noel goes, I think they're hurting his trade value, but I think he has no intention of staying or allowing them to trade him. The Mavs are probably trying to get him to waive his no trade.

I can see this in a place where he ends up on a 1+1 with a contender, maybe a backup with someone like Cleveland (if Lebron stays), Boston, GSW; goes gangbusters off the bench; gets his big contract then.

hugepatsfan
11-18-2017, 02:58 PM
I can see this in a place where he ends up on a 1+1 with a contender, maybe a backup with someone like Cleveland (if Lebron stays), Boston, GSW; goes gangbusters off the bench; gets his big contract then.

I don't know that BOS is the spot for him. He'd be great here in the Aron Baynes role but I think he wants a bigger role than that. Stevens won't play someone who can't shoot or handle for extended minutes. You really gotta do one or the other to get extended minutes in his system. Otherwise, you're just gonan be 15-20 minutes to fill out the rotation and handle matchups.

warfelg
11-18-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't know that BOS is the spot for him. He'd be great here in the Aron Baynes role but I think he wants a bigger role than that. Stevens won't play someone who can't shoot or handle for extended minutes. You really gotta do one or the other to get extended minutes in his system. Otherwise, you're just gonan be 15-20 minutes to fill out the rotation and handle matchups.

I think that's a 'myth' with Noel. He can handle and can shoot. Do you want him doing those things all the time? No. But is he effective enough to make defenders respect it? Yes.

R. Johnson#3
11-18-2017, 03:35 PM
If a Laker fan calls a team a grease fire it's gotta be true because they know their grease fires.

hugepatsfan
11-18-2017, 03:42 PM
His defense would be a nice addition to BOS if he can do those things then. Our rotation right now is:

Kyrie / Rozier
Brown / Smart
Tatum / Ojeleye
Morris / Theis
Horford / Baynes

Ojeleye and Theis combine for about 27.5 minutes/game. If Noel was operating on all cylinders I could see him taking up both their minutes and going with a shortened 9 man rotation:

Kyrie / Rozier
Brown / Smart
Tatum / Morris
Horford
Noel / Baynes

Moving Morris to the bench would maybe help the bad scoring we've gotten from the second unit.

Mr.B
11-18-2017, 04:26 PM
They're getting Marvin Bagley III, that's what they're doing. :laugh2:

Heís in the running along with Ayton, Porter, and Doncic who is really their likely target.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-18-2017, 05:17 PM
I always wanted Noel on the Bucks. Pretty much ever since Sanders wondered off.

Mr.B
11-18-2017, 05:28 PM

His trade value was going to be low anyways because of his no trade clause. As we get closer to the trade deadline I believe the number of teams that Nerlens is willing to waive his no trade clause for will increase. Especially if heís still not getting a lot of minutes. At best I think the Mavs would be able to get a young player that the team is going to dump anyways. Julius Randle comes to mind (if the Lakers are going after George/Labron in the off-season). More than likely though the Mavs would only get a 2nd for Nerlens.

IndyRealist
11-18-2017, 05:45 PM
His trade value was going to be low anyways because of his no trade clause. As we get closer to the trade deadline I believe the number of teams that Nerlens is willing to waive his no trade clause for will increase. Especially if heís still not getting a lot of minutes. At best I think the Mavs would be able to get a young player that the team is going to dump anyways. Julius Randle comes to mind (if the Lakers are going after George/Labron in the off-season). More than likely though the Mavs would only get a 2nd for Nerlens.

I don't think Noel has any intention of waiving his no trade, which is why there is a standoff about his playing time. He's not going to get anywhere near a max deal, so teams have very little incentive to give up assets to get his Bird rights. His situation is not the same as Melo's, where Anthony has already made his money and is locked into a big contract. He's going to likely wait until the summer and go to the highest bidder, rather than go to the best team making an offer.

Mr.B
11-18-2017, 07:18 PM
I don't think Noel has any intention of waiving his no trade, which is why there is a standoff about his playing time. He's not going to get anywhere near a max deal, so teams have very little incentive to give up assets to get his Bird rights. His situation is not the same as Melo's, where Anthony has already made his money and is locked into a big contract. He's going to likely wait until the summer and go to the highest bidder, rather than go to the best team making an offer.

He honestly should have taken that $70 mil offer from the Mavs. I doubt he gets anywhere near that deal on the open market. Fewer teams will have cap space and there are better options for teams, namely Cousins.