PDA

View Full Version : Is the number 2 pick cursed?

More-Than-Most
11-16-2017, 09:31 PM
03: Darko
04: Emeka
05: Marvin Williams
08: Michael Beasley
09: Hasheem Thabeet
10: Evan Turner
11: Derrick Williams
12: MKG
13: Oladipo
14: Jabari (injuries)
16: Ingram (???)
17: Lonzo

I mean holy **** lol.... outside of durant and probably ingram this looks horrible.... What are your thoughts? They showed this on espn earlier and talked about how we always need 2 top guys in the draft to go up against each other and that 2nd guy seems to get extremely overvalued and over hyped because of the first guy.

bucketss
11-16-2017, 09:50 PM
oladipo is solid

Jeffy25
11-16-2017, 10:36 PM
56 - Russell
60 - West
90 - Payton
94 - Kidd
54 - Pettit
07 - Durant
59 - Howell
68 - Unseld
01 - Chandler
65 - Barry
82 - Cummings
92 - Mourning
72 - McAdoo
06 - Aldridge
96 - Camby
81 - Thomas

Not so good recently, but plenty of greats in there.

Scoots
11-16-2017, 11:00 PM
56 - Russell
60 - West
90 - Payton
94 - Kidd
54 - Pettit
07 - Durant
59 - Howell
68 - Unseld
01 - Chandler
65 - Barry
82 - Cummings
92 - Mourning
72 - McAdoo
06 - Aldridge
96 - Camby
81 - Thomas

Over 50 years and the #2 pick in the draft ... that's not that great a list.

Giannis94
11-16-2017, 11:34 PM

I mean holy **** lol.... outside of durant and probably ingram this looks horrible.... What are your thoughts? They showed this on espn earlier and talked about how we always need 2 top guys in the draft to go up against each other and that 2nd guy seems to get extremely overvalued and over hyped because of the first guy.

Jabari has played in 151 games. Over a hundred more than Embiid. Child please.

Eg714
11-17-2017, 12:00 AM
Ingram doesn't belong on this list and it's to soon to tell with lonzo. Sick low key troll thread to push your agenda. 7/10

More-Than-Most
11-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Jabari has played in 151 games. Over a hundred more than Embiid. Child please.

Embiid is healthy and has proven a skill set so far above everyone else is insane.. parker was nothing special and now has destroyed that leg twice.

Giannis94
11-17-2017, 12:32 AM
Embiid is healthy and has proven a skill set so far above everyone else is insane.. parker was nothing special and now has destroyed that leg twice.

LOL healthy? I'll believe it when I see him actually play in a few seasons of games. Which won't happen for st least 2/3 more seasons. Parker is a better talent that Oden Jr ever was. And calling him Oden Jr is being nice. Oden actually played in games. The fact that you think Embiid is anything is cray cray. Let's not forget the past. Or in his case, lack there of. The falsified version of a "process" is just redshirting. So cool on that? And far as I'm concerned, it's far from over. Still a long ways to go more players to tank for.

mightybosstone
11-17-2017, 12:39 AM
Over 50 years and the #2 pick in the draft ... that's not that great a list.

That's a pretty damn good list, dude. And it doesn't include Earl Monroe. Between Russell, West, Payton, Kidd, Pettit, Durant, Unseld, Barry, Mourning, McAdoo, Thomas and Monroe, that's 12 guys who are arguably top 100 players. That means if you have the No. 2 pick in the last 61 years, you had roughly a 20 percent chance of drafting a top 100 all-time player. That's pretty fantastic.

Scoots
11-17-2017, 02:09 AM
That's a pretty damn good list, dude. And it doesn't include Earl Monroe. Between Russell, West, Payton, Kidd, Pettit, Durant, Unseld, Barry, Mourning, McAdoo, Thomas and Monroe, that's 12 guys who are arguably top 100 players. That means if you have the No. 2 pick in the last 61 years, you had roughly a 20 percent chance of drafting a top 100 all-time player. That's pretty fantastic.

61 years back leaves Petit out ... you have to go to 63 years to include him.

It's a good list sure ... I was more thinking about the fact that there were still a lot of failures in there ... just as there were in #1 overall picks.

I'd wager in more than a third of all NBA drafts if there were a re-draft the top 2 players would change.

goingfor28
11-17-2017, 02:20 AM
Can't believe KD has been in the league for 10 years already. Wow.
And off topic but it seems like yesterday I remember watching St Vincent St Mary high school games bc of LeBron, and that's coming up on 15 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Teeboy1487
11-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Way too soon for Lonzo to be on this list 15 games into his rookie campaign. That's illogical at best. Ingram is looking really good and don't know why he is on the list. Oladipo is killing it with the Pacers. I think he was the victim being traded too soon by Orlando and not being a good fit playing along side Russell Westbrook with the Thunder. Jabari Parker when healthy is an all star. The injuries he had are not career killers. I think he can come back strong.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-17-2017, 09:32 AM
According to reports Parker could play today. But were being safe and holding him out till February.

FlashBolt
11-17-2017, 01:42 PM
According to reports Parker could play today. But were being safe and holding him out till February.

That's like three months later. That really doesn't make any sense at all. He could play but I'm sure they aren't confident of his abilities.

Giannis94
11-17-2017, 01:54 PM
That's like three months later. That really doesn't make any sense at all. He could play but I'm sure they aren't confident of his abilities.

151>43

mightybosstone
11-17-2017, 02:10 PM
61 years back leaves Petit out ... you have to go to 63 years to include him.

It's a good list sure ... I was more thinking about the fact that there were still a lot of failures in there ... just as there were in #1 overall picks.

I'd wager in more than a third of all NBA drafts if there were a re-draft the top 2 players would change.

OK. I missed Pettit, but you're just correcting my math. It doesn't change the meaning of my point, which is that there have still been a remarkable amount of talent drafted at the No. 2 spot in the draft. And I get that there are a lot of failures who have been drafted No. 2, but drafting is tough, and there are failures at every spot in the draft.

If we looked at guys drafted No. 1 in the last 20 years, I could point out Bennet, Oden, Bargnani, Kwame Brown and Olowokandi. If we looked at the No. 3 pick, I could point to Okafor, Morrison and Darius Miles and even Kanter, Mayo and LaFrentz to a lesser extent. And the fourth pick has been an absolute dumpster fire, with guys like Bender, Zeller, Wesley Johnson, Tyrus Thomas, Eddy Curry, Marcus Fizer and Antonio Daniels as well as disappointments like Tyreke, Livingston and Waiters.

Have there been a lot of disappointments drafted second overall in the last few years compared to the first and third spots? Sure. But I don't think the position itself is cursed so much as that teams who had the spot just either made poor decisions or were unlucky and took the wrong guys.

tredigs
11-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Way too soon for Lonzo to be on this list 15 games into his rookie campaign. That's illogical at best.

I'll help you explain the logic: It's the only reason he made this thread.

Giannis94
11-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Lets create one for Fultz and his 6 PPG and 3.85 PER!

KnicksorBust
11-17-2017, 07:24 PM

Good thread. Historically some people tried to debunk you but I agree over the last 15 years those are some big misses.

GREATNESS ONE
11-17-2017, 07:50 PM

This guy knows. :up:

GREATNESS ONE
11-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Ingram doesn't belong on this list and it's to soon to tell with lonzo. Sick low key troll thread to push your agenda. 7/10

:laugh2: did you rate it 7/10?!? Lolz Iím done

europagnpilgrim
11-17-2017, 07:54 PM
LOL healthy? I'll believe it when I see him actually play in a few seasons of games. Which won't happen for st least 2/3 more seasons. Parker is a better talent that Oden Jr ever was. And calling him Oden Jr is being nice. Oden actually played in games. The fact that you think Embiid is anything is cray cray. Let's not forget the past. Or in his case, lack there of. The falsified version of a "process" is just redshirting. So cool on that? And far as I'm concerned, it's far from over. Still a long ways to go more players to tank for.

Parker is becoming Embiidish with his horrible injury history and not being available, Parker is not a better talent than Embiid, if both were super healthy and you had to draft out of those two to start your team you know damn good well you would take Embiid over Parker, and if you are being a fanatical maniac then I guess you would take Maker over Embiid as well, the only keeper you have on your roster is GreekFreak and I hope he pulls a Lew Alcindor/Jabbar and leave for brighter lights, he should go to NY and team up with Porz to form a unicorn dynasty,mediahype wise that is

europagnpilgrim
11-17-2017, 07:56 PM
OK. I missed Pettit, but you're just correcting my math. It doesn't change the meaning of my point, which is that there have still been a remarkable amount of talent drafted at the No. 2 spot in the draft. And I get that there are a lot of failures who have been drafted No. 2, but drafting is tough, and there are failures at every spot in the draft.

If we looked at guys drafted No. 1 in the last 20 years, I could point out Bennet, Oden, Bargnani, Kwame Brown and Olowokandi. If we looked at the No. 3 pick, I could point to Okafor, Morrison and Darius Miles and even Kanter, Mayo and LaFrentz to a lesser extent. And the fourth pick has been an absolute dumpster fire, with guys like Bender, Zeller, Wesley Johnson, Tyrus Thomas, Eddy Curry, Marcus Fizer and Antonio Daniels as well as disappointments like Tyreke, Livingston and Waiters.

Have there been a lot of disappointments drafted second overall in the last few years compared to the first and third spots? Sure. But I don't think the position itself is cursed so much as that teams who had the spot just either made poor decisions or were unlucky and took the wrong guys.

this right here just prove when I say the competition/league is weak just like those who think it was in the old days

its like for every true superstar or really really good player you get 10-12 borderline scrubs or busts who just take up space, they need to trim the league down to 16 teams so we can really see the cream of the crop players

eDush
11-17-2017, 09:59 PM

I mean holy **** lol.... outside of durant and probably ingram this looks horrible.... What are your thoughts? They showed this on espn earlier and talked about how we always need 2 top guys in the draft to go up against each other and that 2nd guy seems to get extremely overvalued and over hyped because of the first guy.Darko cursed the entire 2nd pick lottery so now no one wants to be taken number 2 and end up being a Darko. What a chump....:down:
:puke:

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Parker is becoming Embiidish with his horrible injury history and not being available, Parker is not a better talent than Embiid, if both were super healthy and you had to draft out of those two to start your team you know damn good well you would take Embiid over Parker, and if you are being a fanatical maniac then I guess you would take Maker over Embiid as well, the only keeper you have on your roster is GreekFreak and I hope he pulls a Lew Alcindor/Jabbar and leave for brighter lights, he should go to NY and team up with Porz to form a unicorn dynasty,mediahype wise that is

Giannis already said he prefers the smaller market in Milwaukee. Also said loyalty is in his blood.

TylerSL
11-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Teams just make bad picks, I wouldn't say it's a cursed pick. Terrible first overall picks include Pervis Ellison (1989), Joe Smith (1995), Michael Olowokandi (1998), Kwame Brown (2001), Andrea Bargnani (2006), Greg Oden (2007), and Anthony Bennett (2013). You wouldn't call the #1 pick cursed would you?

Still sad the Heat didn't take Russell Westbrook #2 overall in 2008 though. :sigh:

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Some drafts are bad. That can't be helped. Oladipa is not a bad player. He is still in the league after all.

The draft is a crap shoot. You can list a number of great #2 picks (KD, LMA, Okafor 1.0 was a solid started in the league for a while and won ROY, Tyson Chandler, Steve Francis, Bibby, Van Horn, Kidd, Camby, McDysse Mourning, Payton, Kenny Anderson, Rik Smits, Isiah Thomas).

Lots of great players in there.

Number one?

Bennet. Oden. Bargnani. Kwambe. The Candy Man.

It's true that the number one pick is often the best, but that's why they go first.

But that said... we see the best players in this league, Curry, KD, Klay, Harden, CP3, Letter Bro (aka The Alphabet) Paul George, Russell Westbrook.. ect. ect. ect. These guys aren't picked first.

The draft is a crap shoot.

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2017, 10:29 PM
Well... in two games, Embiid has scored more points in the Staples Centre than Ball has scored all season. So...

Giannis94
11-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Well... in two games, Embiid has scored more points in the Staples Centre than Ball has scored all season. So...

Yeah because lets comp a 7 ft center on frequent rest to a soft pg

LaVar Ball
11-19-2017, 01:56 PM

You forgot D'Angelo Russell (2015), injury prone as well and traded after just 2 seasons.

JasonJohnHorn
11-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Yeah because lets comp a 7 ft center on frequent rest to a soft pg

Did you actually read what I wrote? lol

Your logic actually dictates that Ball should have more points.

I was thinking, let's compare a guy who only plays two game in that building all year to a guy who starts for a team who plays in that building.

Embiid has taken a total of 40 shots in the Staples Centre, and played under 70 minutes.

Wall had played 9 games in that building at the time I posted that, and took 94 shots (over double Embiid), and yet, did not score as many point (69 points over 9 games compared to Embiid 78).

Whatever criteria you come up with, that is truly bizarre. In 40 shots over 2 games, and in less than 70 minutes, Embiid put up more points than Wall did in 9 games with over twice as many shot attempts.

You can try to dismiss that however you want, but that is crazy.

JordansBulls
11-21-2017, 12:25 AM
56 - Russell
60 - West
90 - Payton
94 - Kidd
54 - Pettit
07 - Durant
59 - Howell
68 - Unseld
01 - Chandler
65 - Barry
82 - Cummings
92 - Mourning
72 - McAdoo
06 - Aldridge
96 - Camby
81 - Thomas

This