PDA

View Full Version : WCS "I have the same body size, same skill-set" [as KP]

Giannis94
11-16-2017, 07:24 PM
How's everyone feel about this? Could he be on to something?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/11/13/willie-cauley-stein-on-kristaps-porzingis-i-have-the-same-body-size-the-same-skill-level/

What’s the difference between Kristaps Porzingis (No. 4 pick by Knicks in 2015) and Willie Cauley-Stein (No. 6 pick by Kings in 2015) now?

Cauley-Stein, via Howie Kussoy of the New York Post:

“I think I just gotta get more selfish,” said Cauley-Stein, who hit 2-of-6 shots, and is averaging 8.9 points this season. “Offensively, I gotta get to the point that I’m just going at dudes like him. Guarding him, and then watching his game, you take away, oh, this is what he’s doing. I have the same body size, the same skill-level, just transfer it over to a game now. But being behind in the race, he’s been doing it for a while.”

“This league’s all about situations,” Cauley-Stein said. “I went to a situation where I’m playing behind the best center in the league [DeMarcus Cousins], or I could’ve gone to somewhere where they don’t have a guy, and now you’re the guy, and you’re getting all the touches. That helps a lot.

This is obviously absurd. Cauley-Stein has never made a 3-pointer in the NBA, and his free-throw percentage is 15 points lower than Porzingis’. Cauley-Stein isn’t nearly as skilled as Porzingis, whose sweet shooting and ball-handling have earned him unicorn status.

That said, Cauley-Stein has shown promise in a small sample of long 2s. He’s an adept passer for his size. I’d be shocked if Cauley-Stein ever reaches Porzingis’ level, but it might behoove him and Sacramento (3-9) to increase his role. Cauley-Stein might look closer to Porzingis than expected when they were rookies.

Hustla23
11-16-2017, 08:26 PM
I'm gonna go with no.

warfelg
11-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Drug test party of one.

Teeboy1487
11-16-2017, 08:46 PM
:laugh: The Queens better get real.

jaydubb
11-16-2017, 08:48 PM
So he says he got drafted to play behind the leagues best center.. What's his excuse for still playing less than half the game now?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
11-16-2017, 09:14 PM
my man reached for the stars..... the only thing is its the stars that you put in your room on the ceiling that glow.

WaDe03
11-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Cousins is holding him back.

Scoots
11-16-2017, 11:39 PM
The Kings have been terrible in developing players. I'd love to have him on the Warriors.

ewing
11-17-2017, 07:08 AM
i have trouble telling them apart

Giannis94
11-17-2017, 10:46 AM
i have trouble telling them apart

Tell knicks fans that. They'll be like "WCS is crazy". and then its like, look in the mirror. Y'all aint realize how ironic that is?

GoferKing_
11-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Ohhh boy....

Jetsguy
11-17-2017, 12:03 PM
I have the same body type as kyrie so I should be as good as him right?

warfelg
11-17-2017, 12:13 PM
I have the same body type as kyrie so I should be as good as him right?

But are you vegan?

FlashBolt
11-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Sometimes the reason you aren't getting the possessions designed for you is because you haven't shown you are capable of it. I get his point that if he had more opportunities, he would look better as a player but it honestly doesn't mean anything when you're not really that good offensively.

elledaddy
11-17-2017, 01:41 PM
While I believe they have different skill sets(basically KP has a much much better jumpshot), i dont totally disagree with the premise of what hes saying. These players in the NBA are ALL actually good playes( not according to the couch all stars on this site), so what he's basically saying is , give me 20-25 shots per gm and watch what I can do. I also think that sometime situations( aka system,coach, shots) is all players need to be looked at differently. C'mon Jeremy Lin for a stretch when he had the ultimate green light was averaging 25 pts a game.

jaydubb
11-17-2017, 04:26 PM
I have the same body type as kyrie so I should be as good as him right?Well I have the same body type as Dj Khaled so I should be getting as much ***** from all kinds of hot women like he does, right? Wrong, because I'm not rich and I don't know drake personally.

GoferKing_
11-18-2017, 08:27 AM
WCS responded with a strong game.

jaydubb
11-18-2017, 09:01 AM
WCS responded with a strong game.Yep. Maybe he'll get to start next game and play against starters instead of bench players

GoferKing_
11-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Yep. Maybe he'll get to start next game and play against starters instead of bench players

Duuuuuuuude. :D

JasonJohnHorn
11-18-2017, 10:26 PM
I get the point. The NBA is often about opprotunity. A guy like Darko would have been better off getting draft by a lottery team and not playing under an @$$#013 like Larry Brown (who was a great coach mind you, but just hated rookies).

There are a lot of examples. I don't think there are instances of guys who would have been HOF material, but there are guys who could have been fringe all-stars, starters or regular rotation players who have likely missed out on opportunities because of the situations they were drafted into.

Scoots
11-19-2017, 09:59 AM
I get the point. The NBA is often about opprotunity. A guy like Darko would have been better off getting draft by a lottery team and not playing under an @$$#013 like Larry Brown (who was a great coach mind you, but just hated rookies).

There are a lot of examples. I don't think there are instances of guys who would have been HOF material, but there are guys who could have been fringe all-stars, starters or regular rotation players who have likely missed out on opportunities because of the situations they were drafted into.

Always, the right situation is the key. A shooting guard who is a great passer who goes to a team that never lets him do anything but catch and shoot will think they have a lesser player, and that skill will fade with time (or never develop to an NBA level). Confidence gets shot, and the game falls apart for the player. I've seen it hundreds of times where a player goes somewhere where they can't effectively do what they do best and they are never the same again.

JasonJohnHorn
11-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Always, the right situation is the key. A shooting guard who is a great passer who goes to a team that never lets him do anything but catch and shoot will think they have a lesser player, and that skill will fade with time (or never develop to an NBA level). Confidence gets shot, and the game falls apart for the player. I've seen it hundreds of times where a player goes somewhere where they can't effectively do what they do best and they are never the same again.

Yeah... you see this with great coaches. Pop has coaches so many guys who played so well under him, but who struggled when they went else where, or, alternately, who struggled elsewhere, but played well when they got to SAS.

I anticipate we'll see the same kind of thing with Kerr, who has an amazing coaching pedigree, having played under some of the greatest coaches: PJax, Pop, and Lenny Wilkens (who is grossly underrated as a coach). We're going to see guys who come through, play great with the Warriors, get outbid by some other team, and then falter.

We've already seen it. JaVale was struggling to make an NBA roster; now he is an effective role player. Never scored at as high a rate in his career. Livingston has also managed to become an effective player, though his struggles seemed to be due to injury. Davis West, in a limited role, has been more efficient under Pop and Kerr these last three years, in his late 30's, than he ever was during his prime. With another coach, he might have been retired already. Nigh Yong is shooting above his career averages. Cassipi has a small sample size... too small to judge likely, but he's playing very well.

Then we see guys like Harrison Barnes, who frankly looked like an all-star in the making (and stil may be) struggle to be as efficient. Festus Ezeli, who struggle with injuries his first year on Portland get waived without playing a game (hope he gets healthy and returns).

We'll see what happens with Bell should he leave... and McAdoo as he gets more time with Philly

We are likely to see a similar pattern with Brad Stevens. Looking at hso Jae is struggling with the Cavs when he should have been a perfect fit, and how good Kyrie is playing defensively.

But yeah... situation plays a big role. I feel like had The Magic not ended up with Shaq, we could have seen a lot more out of Stanley Roberts. I felt that was a good situation with him, but he became trade bait when they got Shaq. He ended up having a different coach each of his first four seasons. Darko got stuck with Larry Brown. If he had Pop or Kerr, his career would have had a completely different arc.