PDA

View Full Version : Did LaVar Ball outsmart the NBA? Is he a Genius?

Giannis94
11-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Someone kinda brought this up in another thread. But I say we take it a bit further.

We haven't seen a player picking his location in the NBA like say Eli, Elway, or even (Sam Darnold reportedly thinking about staying in school if the Browns get the top pick).

Both teams would have had to mortgaged the future to get too the top 2.

So say teams started seeing through Lonzo's game. And maybe realized that some of the studs considerd behind him, were actually better than anticipated.

So take the top 6. Philly, BOS, PHX, SAC, ORL.

Would the Big baller Brand have had any success, or any prominenance in those locations- without spectacular production? He'd be behing Kyrie in Bos, redshirting in philly, and playing in non-basketball markets in PHX, ORL, SAC.

The only "Ball-er" locations as CHi, LAL and NYK. Chicago are near equals. Chicago has a great history of basketball in an attractive city, but will face the pressure of MJ. NY is a nice big city, embroiled with dysfunction and bright lights.

So I am asking, is LaVar Balla genius? Did he market his son, who has great talent- into a player that has superstar talent? I personally think he is an amazing business man. LAL is the perfect location for his brand, and for his family.

76ers: Markelle Fultz (G) - Washington
Lakers: Lonzo Ball (G) - UCLA
Celtics: Jayson Tatum (F) - Duke
Suns: Josh Jackson (F) - Kansas
Kings: DeAaron Fox (G) - Kentucky
Magic: Jonathan Isaac (F) - Florida State
Bulls: Lauri Markkanen (F) - Arizona
Knicks: Frank Ntilikina (G) - France
Mavericks: Dennis Smith Jr. (G) - NC State

warfelg
11-13-2017, 01:15 PM
First off nice little troll shot at Philly.

Second off.....has nothing to do with it. Dame has a dope signature shoe and he plays in Portland. Curry has a nice shoe in San Fran. Giannis just got a signature shoe playing in Milwaukee of all places. KD/Russ got one while playing in Oklahoma City (such a basketball mecca!). LeBron build a signature shoe when in Cleveland.

No, it wasn't a smart business decision. It was a stupid one to not take a deal with one of the major ones and work your way to a signature shoe like all these other guys did. With the way the NBA is now global and social media has made which market you are in irrelevant it doesn't matter were you are, it just matters if you are good enough to be a marketing tool for the brand.

KnicksorBust
11-13-2017, 03:12 PM
He's a fantastic promoter. He's one of the most well-known "dads" in the history of sports. That has made him millions. Congrats to him. But what did Lavar Ball do to get Lonzo in LA? That was pure luck.

smith&wesson
11-13-2017, 03:26 PM
First off nice little troll shot at Philly.

Second off.....has nothing to do with it. Dame has a dope signature shoe and he plays in Portland. Curry has a nice shoe in San Fran. Giannis just got a signature shoe playing in Milwaukee of all places. KD/Russ got one while playing in Oklahoma City (such a basketball mecca!). LeBron build a signature shoe when in Cleveland.

No, it wasn't a smart business decision. It was a stupid one to not take a deal with one of the major ones and work your way to a signature shoe like all these other guys did. With the way the NBA is now global and social media has made which market you are in irrelevant it doesn't matter were you are, it just matters if you are good enough to be a marketing tool for the brand.

I think what he's asking is did Lavar sell the Lakers on picking Lonzo with the number two pick ?

My short answer is yes, he did and did a hell of a job. Ball is not the player advertised by his father at all. He was promoted to be the guy to take this Laker team to the playoffs in his rookie season. Does he look like that sort of talent to you ? I take nothing away from the kid, when it's all said and done he could very well be a great player, how ever he isnt even the best rookie on his own team

Giannis94
11-13-2017, 03:29 PM
I think what he's asking is did Lavar sell the Lakers on picking Lonzo with the number two pick ?

My short answer is yes, he did and did a hell of a job. Ball is not the player advertised by his father at all. He was promoted to be the guy to take this Laker team to the playoffs in his rookie season. Does he look like that sort of talent to you ? I take nothing away from the kid, when it's all said and done he could very well be a great player, how ever he isnt even the best rookie on his own team
Yes, you are correct in what I was asking
I was getting at the fact that everyone said that it was a clear cut top 2. It wasn't like the 2014 class where Jabari and Wiggy were the clear cut top 2; and if given the chance I believe those two would still be top 2. Redo this past draft? Not sure ball is a top 2 pick. And I'll stand by that 10 years down the line.

warfelg
11-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Ehhhhh.....if the Lakers let themselves be sold on what Lavar was saying they have other issues.

HandsOnTheWheel
11-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Media Manipulator like Lebron. Nothing to see here.

SfgiantsJD3
11-13-2017, 03:48 PM
He's a fantastic promoter. He's one of the most well-known "dads" in the history of sports. That has made him millions. Congrats to him. But what did Lavar Ball do to get Lonzo in LA? That was pure luck.

What happens to the brand if baby ball gets a long sentence in China for shoplifting?

warfelg
11-13-2017, 03:51 PM
What happens to the brand if baby ball gets a long sentence in China for shoplifting?

Nothing. He hasn't had a shoe yet.

The best question is what happens to BBB if the NCAA rules LaMelo, or whatever the youngest one is, ineligible because of a signature shoe through the families brand.

Kinda related, kinda unrelated; what I heard happened with the other shoe brands wasn't the BBB being a subbrand as the issue, but LaVar was trying to get them to guarantee contracts to his other two sons at the same time, and the brands knew what that meant and were unwilling to put themselves in that predicament.

IKnowHoops
11-13-2017, 04:24 PM
I was getting at the fact that everyone said that it was a clear cut top 2. It wasn't like the 2014 class where Jabari and Wiggy were the clear cut top 2; and if given the chance I believe those two would still be top 2. Redo this past draft? Not sure ball is a top 2 pick. And I'll stand by that 10 years down the line.

You forgot Giannis was in that draft!? Lol heís not ur bae obviously. Giannis is clearly #1 on a redraft

Whoops

warfelg
11-13-2017, 04:25 PM
You forgot Giannis was in that draft!? Lol heís not ur bar obviously. Giannis is clearly #1 on a redraft

Giannis was the draft before.

That draft had Embiid, Smart, Saric, LaVine, Nurkic, Harris, Capela, Jokic. I'm not sure Wiggins and Parker still go 1-2 on that draft.

warfelg
11-13-2017, 04:25 PM
That draft had a lot of deep talent (Jokic, Capela, Harris) but if there was a redraft today I don't think there's any way Aaron Gordon doesn't go #1 based on health and production. Other than last year when he played out of position, Gordon has trended straight upward.

Eh disagree. I think even injuries included Embiid would still go #1 seeing what the result is.

IndyRealist
11-13-2017, 04:26 PM

That draft had a lot of deep talent (Jokic, Capela, Harris) but if there was a redraft today I don't think there's any way Aaron Gordon doesn't go #1 based on health and production. Other than last year when he played out of position, Gordon has trended straight upward.

smith&wesson
11-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Ehhhhh.....if the Lakers let themselves be sold on what Lavar was saying they have other issues.

Well think about it, they had a pg they had just drafted with a high pick the year before.
What was the need to make a lateral move unless the Lakers were convinced Ball is the second coming of Magic ..

Why not keep Russel and simply use your pick on another talent like Tatum ?

smith&wesson
11-13-2017, 05:05 PM

You take Gordon over Jokic ? You can't be serious

IndyRealist
11-13-2017, 05:12 PM
You take Gordon over Jokic ? You can't be serious

Jokic was taken 41st. He was on no one's radar in 2013 and had little competitive experience. No sane person in 2014 would have taken him 1st.

Scoots
11-13-2017, 05:39 PM
I don't know why it took me this long but ... LaVar Ball is Trump.

smith&wesson
11-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Jokic was taken 41st. He was on no one's radar in 2013 and had little competitive experience. No sane person in 2014 would have taken him 1st.

Yeah but you're talking redraft aren't you ? Lol

smith&wesson
11-13-2017, 05:43 PM

lol not far off

warfelg
11-13-2017, 05:49 PM

Funny enough, news came out today that Trump is trying to talk China's President (Xi?) into letting Ball and the other two boys walk.

Giannis94
11-13-2017, 05:52 PM

Except donny inherited a big mess and lavar created his. So try again?

Scoots
11-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Except donny inherited a big mess and lavar created his. So try again?

No, I'm fine with my comparison. And I think Trump was given/loaned money from his father which isn't the same as inherited. So try again?

Giannis94
11-13-2017, 06:59 PM
No, I'm fine with my comparison. And I think Trump was given/loaned money from his father which isn't the same as inherited. So try again?
You know what I mean. Look who he inherited the office from. Hint. It wasn't his family.

nastynice
11-13-2017, 07:22 PM

lmaooo!!!

👍👍

*if Iím reading that right, in saying Lavar Ball created his own money...

More-Than-Most
11-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Yes he conned the **** out of the lakers... Dude should have gone 4th or 5th at best. Honestly the dude is a genius... I hate the father but he has set his entire family up for life and started a brand and made him and his kids the most talked about people in the country... He set this plan in motion when he tried for genetic success and outside of the fat son he pretty much hit the jackpot with Lonzo and Lemelo... Both guys are going to be NBA talents.. I think Lonzo at best will be a good NBA PG nomatter what

We hate the family/name/father etc but he did right by his family nomatter what you say and it may just be for show but ive watched their stupid ball show and i love how he is to his wife... If you are a good father and Husband i dont give a **** how annoying you are.

More-Than-Most
11-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Funny enough, news came out today that Trump is trying to talk China's President (Xi?) into letting Ball and the other two boys walk.

i actually think that might do more harm than good lol... if he made the call himself under the radar fine... now the chinese will look at it as we are giving in to trump and that is worse than anything when you factor in their policing policy and how insane they are over there.

More-Than-Most
11-13-2017, 08:51 PM
on top of this if we are being honest... Ball doesnt feel like anything is owed to him and he puts in the work... there was maybe once this year where he just looked like he wasnt trying but all the lakers starters had the same look and the coach benched them... he gets a pass because of the situation... outside of that he has been the hardest worker on the team and has the get better mentality etc etc etc.... that is a far far cry from the likes of Okafor and someone like DLO who dont work as hard or feel like they are owed something... Okafor finally started to do something this year but his first 2 seasons he relied on his size and offense and gave no ***** about evolving or defense... DLO thought he was above everyone on the lakers team except his best friend clarkson and was more worried about looking pretty than anything else... Lonzo will bust his ***... I dont think he is as talented as DLO but he will out work DLO.

My point here is... Nomatter what they say about the father he put his sons/family in the best position to succeed and gave Lonzo one hell of a work ethic.

mrblisterdundee
11-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Lonzo was the slice of apple pie. LaVar was a dollop of hype cream on top.

FlashBolt
11-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Lavar even has Trump on his bandwagon... crazy!

Giannis94
11-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Lavar even has Trump on his bandwagon... crazy!

Kinda like Hillary trying to appeal to female voters. When she allowed bill to do whatever he wanted with females. Essentially taking a hypocritical stance. But hey, hillarys a female that just doesn't care. So give her a pass.

prodigy
11-14-2017, 01:25 PM
We haven't seen a player picking his location in the NBA like say Eli, Elway, or even (Sam Darnold reportedly thinking about staying in school if the Browns get the top pick).

Browns have no interest after his crap season. Browns need to find a leader and true competitor. Clearly thats not him.

prodigy
11-14-2017, 01:31 PM

Agree with this. Ball may become a good player but right now he's more of a project with a high ceiling. Not the elite NBA ready player Lavar made him out to be. Lavar could get a midget drafted #1

Giannis94
11-14-2017, 04:28 PM
Browns have no interest after his crap season. Browns need to find a leader and true competitor. Clearly thats not him.
Same reasons apply as to shy LeBron should stick to basketball and not play football like was talked about in the past.

Scoots
11-15-2017, 02:22 AM
If Ball is a genius then Trump is too.

nastynice
11-15-2017, 03:29 AM
If Ball is a genius then Trump is too.

He is tho

Heís also a dumb *** at times.

Circle of life

prodigy
11-15-2017, 11:52 AM
He is tho

Heís also a dumb *** at times.

Circle of life

No they are both incredibly stupid people. With lavar though i believe its mostly an act.

Giannis94
11-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Y'all ripping donny. But look at the person he beat out. Guarantee you that the U s of A would be in a lost worse spot with the Clintons running the country. bill would be chasing women, hillary would be chasing bribes etc. Look at what donny took over. cut this man some slack. He took over a tough situation. A passive situation. He is an agressor. And while i hate politics, I can say that yall aint know what you're talking about

Scoots
11-15-2017, 12:47 PM
No they are both incredibly stupid people. With lavar though i believe its mostly an act.

Or they are both geniuses in a limited window of manipulating the media.

Giannis94
11-15-2017, 12:58 PM

I agree with this. When donny was first running, I thought he was just going to illuminate and expose the DNC and have someone else run for pres.

prodigy
11-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Y'all ripping donny. But look at the person he beat out. Guarantee you that the U s of A would be in a lost worse spot with the Clintons running the country. bill would be chasing women, hillary would be chasing bribes etc. Look at what donny took over. cut this man some slack. He took over a tough situation. A passive situation. He is an agressor. And while i hate politics, I can say that yall aint know what you're talking about

you def don't know what ur talking about lol. So don't talk politics. Don't use Hilary as an excuse for trump to be a moron. Lock her up too, they can share the same jail cell. Both parties need to step up and deliver better candidates. This clown is a joke.

prodigy
11-15-2017, 01:53 PM

I put the blame on american people not doing their own homework. News outlets should be the last thing you pay attention too. TV is all about entertainment. they cater to their viewers. I wouldn't say its fake news, but its bias and tend to be 1 sided. Cnn and def fox news should not be where you decide who to vote for.

tp13baby
11-15-2017, 02:09 PM

There will never be a case like Jokic. His whole story is ridiculous and Denver hit a gold mine.

I think Ball is worthy of the second pick before the draft started. His production at UCLA was solid and he could shoot the ball. I didnít think it would carry over but in college he was knocking shots down regardless. He was more athletic and skilled then about anyone he played against. He has great size and court awareness. Ball really did deserve it although his production right now sucks

Scoots
11-15-2017, 03:01 PM
I didn't intend to start a political discussion here. Move it to Politics if you want to keep it going.

alex14
11-15-2017, 03:02 PM

First of all Sacramento is absolutely a basketball market... its the only thing we have and our crowd is nothing short of amazing considering we've been watching losing basketball for 15 years.

Secondly, just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them "stupid". You can call him exuberant, pompous, over the top, maybe even a buffoon. However, he is not "stupid". In fact its very likely that he sports one of the highest IQ's of any president we have ever had, even though his real figure is unknown.

Giannis94
11-15-2017, 04:09 PM
I didn't intend to start a political discussion here. Move it to Politics if you want to keep it going.

This is a ******** statement

Scoots
11-15-2017, 07:22 PM
This is a ******** statement

:confused:

THE MTL
11-15-2017, 11:01 PM
He's a genius I always said it. Even when he put out 500 dollar shoes. He put them out knowing the media coverage a 500 dollar shoe would get. Tons of free advertising. He hyped his son into one of the most covered NBA players in the league. Lol, I think he even hyped his own son into him believing he's a star

warfelg
11-15-2017, 11:05 PM
Lmao, his shoes have been terrible. He still haven't rolled them out and no one cares about it. Should've just let NBA sign him cause no one's buying those Big Ballers now.

The fact that they were introduced months ago and ordering started months ago and they still haven't rolled them out makes me even more confident in the statement you and I made back when they came out:

He doesn't have the capitol or infrastructure in place to make them and needs to sell more pairs before he can deliver.

FlashBolt
11-15-2017, 11:06 PM
He's a genius I always said it. Even when he put out 500 dollar shoes. He put them out knowing the media coverage a 500 dollar shoe would get. Tons of free advertising. He hyped his son into one of the most covered NBA players in the league. Lol, I think he even hyped his own son into him believing he's a star

Lmao, his shoes have been terrible. He still haven't rolled them out and no one cares about it. Should've just let NBA sign him cause no one's buying those Big Ballers now.

warfelg
11-15-2017, 11:08 PM
From the BBB website:

PREVIOUS ZO2 PRIME ORDERS:
SPECIAL NOTE: IF YOU HAVE ORDERED THE ORIGINAL ZO2 PRIME, YOU'RE AUTOMATICALLY SET TO BE SHIPPED A PAIR OF THE ZO2 PRIME REMIX ON NOVEMBER 24, 2017, AS A REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR ORIGINAL ZO2 ORDER. IF YOU WOULD PREFER TO NOT RECEIVE A REPLACEMENT ORDER, PLEASE EMAIL OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE BEFORE NOVEMBER 10th, 2017 TO MAKE ALTERNATIVE ARRANGEMENTS.

:laugh:

M.L.G.A.
11-16-2017, 01:19 AM
lmao seems like most of you missed the point of this thread; it's not questioning how good/popular/marketing the shoe is, but would Ball have been drafted where he was if LaVar wasn't Lavar...

Let's look at facts; he was projected top 2, potentially #1 overall pre-tournament based on what he did with UCLA (look at UCLA before Ball came), setting shooting percentage records. After the tournament, his stock definitely dropped, as to how much it dropped will be up for debate...

I would have to agree with you, he sold his son and got him in a position to be considered a top draft pick...

IndyRealist
11-16-2017, 09:37 AM
lmao seems like most of you missed the point of this thread; it's not questioning how good/popular/marketing the shoe is, but would Ball have been drafted where he was if LaVar wasn't Lavar...

Let's look at facts; he was projected top 2, potentially #1 overall pre-tournament based on what he did with UCLA (look at UCLA before Ball came), setting shooting percentage records. After the tournament, his stock definitely dropped, as to how much it dropped will be up for debate...

I would have to agree with you, he sold his son and got him in a position to be considered a top draft pick...

PSD goes on tangents all the time. They understood the question, but it's not what some people wanted to talk about.

Given his collegiate numbers, Ball was likely a top 5 pick regardless of his dad. Did he con the Lakers specifically? Maybe. But Lavar wanted his son in LA for marketing purposes, whether they picked 2 or 5 or 8. I don't think he necessarily improved Lonzo's draft stock, but he did get the destination he wanted.

Scoots
11-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Top rated players in college often drop a lot in the run up to the draft. It's why agents limit access to players a lot. If the teams learn too much the players might drop. In this case there were a LOT of actual experts questioning Ball's value as a top 5 pick fairly early in the process. When the Lakers took him it did seem strange to me since I didn't see the value. I don't hate on Lonzo, and I hope he does become something special, but his game always seemed a little soft psychologically for a "top point guard".

prodigy
11-16-2017, 11:46 AM
First of all Sacramento is absolutely a basketball market... its the only thing we have and our crowd is nothing short of amazing considering we've been watching losing basketball for 15 years.

Secondly, just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them "stupid". You can call him exuberant, pompous, over the top, maybe even a buffoon. However, he is not "stupid". In fact its very likely that he sports one of the highest IQ's of any president we have ever had, even though his real figure is unknown.

Well his daddy bought his grades so im not so sure about that. Real life Billy Madison lmao!!

prodigy
11-16-2017, 11:48 AM

I haven't looked what does he wear?

Giannis94
11-16-2017, 12:14 PM
:confused:

Just drop a trumop refernece and expect no fall out? yeah no.

Scoots
11-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Just drop a trumop refernece and expect no fall out? yeah no.

I was talking about LaVar Ball, and was not talking politics. If you want to talk politics take it to the politics forum. There isn't anything unreasonable about that.

Ishkabibble
11-16-2017, 01:49 PM
LaVar didn't do anything that the Kardashian's hadn't done before him. That pathetic family laid the groundwork for the brain-dead crap reality TV we see; LaVar's didn't do anything groundbreaking.
Well done Kris and LaVar; pimping out your kids is good for business.

mightybosstone
11-16-2017, 02:08 PM

This. Also, while I would note that he's been an excellent promoter and marketer of his son, he has also created an insane amount of hype for Lonzo. And if Lonzo doesn't meet or at least come close to the ridiculous expectations his father set for him, we may look back on Lavar Ball in a decade as completely idiotic for overhyping his son the way he did and setting him up for failure.

mightybosstone
11-16-2017, 02:12 PM

I don't know what's worse: your Bucks homerism, your takes on politics or your grammar. I can confidently say you "ain't know" what you're talking about. :laugh:

Giannis94
11-16-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't know what's worse: your Bucks homerism, your takes on politics or your grammar. I can confidently say you "ain't know" what you're talking about. :laugh:

Bucks homerism? Why you gotta troll like that. everyone on this forum knows that I am not a homer.

SfgiantsJD3
11-16-2017, 02:25 PM
LaVar didn't do anything that the Kardashian's hadn't done before him. That pathetic family laid the groundwork for the brain-dead crap reality TV we see; LaVar's didn't do anything groundbreaking.
Well done Kris and LaVar; pimping out your kids is good for business.

OJ gave us the Kardashians, so it took their dad to be one of OJ's lawyers to gain fame.

crewfan13
11-17-2017, 02:45 PM
As much as I dislike him, lavar knew exactly what he was doing. He was able to hype up lonzo enough and drive the attention to get him to what he seemed to be an ideal destination. I donít think anyone can argue lavar lucked into any of this.

I think you can argue that he put lonzo in a tough spot. Lavar was writing the checks that lonzo has to cash with his play. You can definitely argue that those moves ma backfire, but he created hype that doesnít surround anyone else. Lonzo was the most talked about player leading up to the draft, despite being the 2nd pick. Lonzo remains the most talked about rookie, despite the fact that heís far from the most productive player thus far. And lonzo is probably one of the 5-10 most talked about players in the league, despite the fact that his level of player probably isnít even starter quality at this point.

It might backfire, but if lonzo ends up sucking, he wasnít going to get a major shoe deal anyways. But if lonzo hits, BBB could actually turn into a decent business, or it at least could put some pressure on a shoe brand to increase their offer to the ball family for shoe rights. It was a calculated risk. If lonzo stinks, it probably cost him some money long term. But if lonzo hits, the hype surrounding him is already so high, hell stand to make huge sums of money from all sorts of endorsements. Probably moreso than he would have made had he just been a regular dude drafted by the lakers.