PDA

View Full Version : Do people who put Bill Russell in the top 10 rate him based on his skills?

Federal Reserve
11-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Russell's career highlights:

-Shot 44% from the field (centers in today's game who don't shoot deep shots would be ridiculed for having such a low shooting %)
-Played against WWII veterans
-"Held" Wilt in check by allowing him to average only 28 points
-Played on one of the most stacked teams of all time

People will say that had Russell played in today's game, he would have adjusted. That's possible. But there are plenty of NBA players who don't have any moves on offense despite all the resources available. His physique is also not that impressive when compared to the physiques of Drummond, Whiteside, D. Jordan, Capela, etc. Bear in mind that anyone with a great physique in Russell's game was considered a good center. And all these guys did was stand under the hoop for 40+ minutes. I can see why Wilt has a case in being a top 10 player: he undoubtedly dominated his era in scoring. Again, I am not sold on him either based on his failure to win a ring as the leader of the team, but I can at least acknowledge that there is a strong possibility of his being able to play great post-up basketball in today's game. Russell's 16 points per game would translate to 8-12 points today. (And that's being optimistic.)

In conclusion there is NO WAY anyone on here would pick Russell with the 10th pick in an all-time draft.

KnicksorBust
11-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Let me know the next time Clint Capela does this

https://youtu.be/j2AlFrOj5Mc

IndyRealist
11-09-2017, 09:11 PM
I can't follow these meandering arguments. You're all over the place. Physique? They didn't take PEDs. Played on one of the most stacked teams of all time? I'm confused. Were basketball players good in the 60s or not? Because you're arguing both. Russell was recognized BY HIS PEERS as the most valuable player FIVE TIMES on a team you say was stacked. By your logic Zaza Pachulia should be winning MVPs. Your own arguments are contradictory.

tredigs
11-09-2017, 09:17 PM
I thought this dunce was already perma-banned?

Hawkeye15
11-10-2017, 01:04 AM
No, his supporters use intangibles and rings. They always need to lead the fight for Russell to have a chance

mightybosstone
11-10-2017, 11:37 AM
I've bounced around on Russell in my top 10 a lot over the years. I've had him as high as top 4 and as low as 10th. Your opinion of him ultimately probably relies on how much you value his postseason resume, his defensive impact and his dominance in an era of basketball that wasn't quite as talented as the eras that would come a decade later once black athletes were more prominent in the league.

However, this idea that he wasn't at all skilled is pretty bogus. As KOB already showed, the guy was a remarkable athlete. And he wasn't especially efficient compared to big men of other eras, but he was at least above average for the time period. Throw in the fact that he was just a monster defender, rebounder, shot blocker and passer, and Russell is far more skilled than OP is giving him credit for.

ewing
11-10-2017, 12:25 PM
whats your problem with WWII veterans?

Hawkeye15
11-10-2017, 12:34 PM
I've bounced around on Russell in my top 10 a lot over the years. I've had him as high as top 4 and as low as 10th. Your opinion of him ultimately probably relies on how much you value his postseason resume, his defensive impact and his dominance in an era of basketball that wasn't quite as talented as the eras that would come a decade later once black athletes were more prominent in the league.

However, this idea that he wasn't at all skilled is pretty bogus. As KOB already showed, the guy was a remarkable athlete. And he wasn't especially efficient compared to big men of other eras, but he was at least above average for the time period. Throw in the fact that he was just a monster defender, rebounder, shot blocker and passer, and Russell is far more skilled than OP is giving him credit for.

Russell was an incredible athlete. However, his all time ranking is weighted MUCH heavier on intangibles/titles, than on skill/production. Just the way it is, when comparing him to the other top 10-11 guys. They were all better basketball players, it's pretty damn easy to see, but Russell's winning gets him in the debate. Obviously he is the biggest reason for all that winning, but individually, he was not as good a basketball player as the players we rank him with.

Russell brings out the interesting in many posters. Guys who use stats to push player A, then won't for Russell, instead using titles/intangibles, and use claims that he held Wilt, etc. In a vacuum, looking at Russell's numbers, he doesn't stack up. But that is why numbers aren't everything afterall..

Vinylman
11-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Bill Russell is basically peak Ben Wallace :p