PDA

View Full Version : Will the OKC Big 3 work?

ISIAH_THOMAS
11-08-2017, 03:25 AM
Just saw they lost to the kings tonight

Their defense has been great

On offense Goerge, Me lo and Russ don't seem like the best fit. A lot of Isos and stagnation. A lot of 1 on 1 basketball and not any team basketball being played.

How do you think this will play out?

More-Than-Most
11-08-2017, 05:21 AM
There is no OKC big 3... There is the OKC big 1 and a half because Melo takes away from the PG trade if we are being honest. If it was just Westy/PG this team would be better.

Vinylman
11-08-2017, 07:00 AM
lets hope it falls flat on its face so PG13 heads to lakerland

GoferKing_
11-08-2017, 09:22 AM
They brought in washed up Melo, what did they expect? :D

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Upon hearing that PG got dealt to the Thunder I thought: Well, if KD and Westy can't get it done... this ain't going to work either.

When they brought Melo in I thought: do they realize there is only one basketball on the court?

Chemistry wise, the Westy/Melo thing is an awful idea, and I don't think either is a good fit with PG, though I do think that PG would be the best piece to build around.

We saw that PG could compete for a title in Indy with the right pieces (they pushed the Cavs to seven games and a bad bounce and a few bad calls got the Cavs over that hump: PG would have been in the finals that year). We haven't seen that with Melo, and though Westy has been to the finals, it was with KD, Harden, and Ibaka and KD was the alpha.

This is a good try. I respect that a GM who isn't going to compete is swinging for the fences, but this roster isn't going to compete for a title.

Chronz
11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
They need more time but they have shown decent promise thus early. I really wish 2pat would start over melo tho.

Scoots
11-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Apparently not.

LA4life24/8
11-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Its early. Chemistry on the court takes time to build. Unfortunately for OKC time is possibly something they dont have. If they dont at least semi figure it out pg could be headed to lakerland

europagnpilgrim
11-08-2017, 10:55 AM

On offense Goerge, Me lo and Russ don't seem like the best fit. A lot of Isos and stagnation. A lot of 1 on 1 basketball and not any team basketball being played.

thing is ball movement is based on 1 player beating the other 1 player/defender to get open like on back cuts and ball movement, iso ball is part of the team ball that is played, its why Jordan is worshipped so much, his iso post game and 1 on 1 abilities are only matched by a handful

OKC has too much top heavy talent for it not to work as far as playoffs are concerned and I think they are built better for playoffs vs the reg. season

they should play more pick and pop with the big 3, tell Melo to shoot wide open 3's and post up more where he can be a bully at times, and just let George be George since he will give the better defensive effort out of the trio from my viewpoint

they have a punchers chance to make a nice run come playoff time and that's really all you can ask for especially after watching Westbrook have like a 50pct usage rate and just being a triple double show with 40 something wins and not having no chance at all to get out the 1st rd

Vee-Rex
11-08-2017, 11:35 AM
OKC will be fine. Will they obliterate the evil GS empire? No. But it has only been 10 games. What are people expecting?

They've already shown tremendous promise with their defense. Chemistry is crucial on BOTH sides of the ball. They just have a lot to work on with their offense. This is not surprising, considering the type of players PG/Russ/Melo were on their own teams.

Give them half a year and see how much their offense improves. I already know that Melo was told to "be himself and play his game" when he was brought in. Every freaking coach and team tells their new players that, in order to appease them and make them feel included. But to transition to a contending team requires some sacrifice - give OKC the time needed to sort that stuff out.

Westy and PG should be getting most of the shot attempts. Melo needs to only have 12-13 FGA per game and needs to be taking smarter, open shots. If he learns to let the offensive game come to him while trying to contribute with rebounding and defense, he'll help the team a lot more.

KnicksorBust
11-08-2017, 12:54 PM
In 10 games:

Russell Westbrook has 201 points.
Paul George has 201 points.
Carmelo Anthony has 201 points.

KnicksorBust
11-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Knicks are 6-4 without Melo.
Thunder are 4-6 with Melo.

IndyRealist
11-08-2017, 01:21 PM
At least 2 of the 3 are overrated.

Scoots
11-08-2017, 06:50 PM
At least 2 of the 3 are overrated.

I have a guess who you count as which :)

Rivera
11-08-2017, 07:51 PM
wow the hate on Melo is real wow

IndyRealist
11-08-2017, 08:50 PM
I have a guess who you count as which :)

I'm nothing if not consistent. Been saying it for years. :D

Scoots
11-08-2017, 09:54 PM
wow the hate on Melo is real wow

To be fair he hasn't been good, the question was whether it was Melo or NY. Turns out it was Melo.

blahblahyoutoo
11-09-2017, 12:21 AM
To be fair he hasn't been good, the question was whether it was Melo or NY. Turns out it was Melo.

this was a question?
i thought this was confirmed a looong time ago.
it's just crazy how he's able to make a good team sub-par.

kobe4thewinbang
11-09-2017, 12:27 AM
When they're on, they're on. But they're definitely underwhelming so far. Melo went like 3-17 the other night.

basch152
11-09-2017, 02:03 AM
it's amazing to me that people can't see stat fillers that don't help much in the win department.

both Westbrook and melo fill that role.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
11-09-2017, 02:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio that all 3 are shooting 17x per game. Id like to see melo shoot 12-14x per game, have Russ stay around 17/18 shots per game, and have pg shoot 20x per game.

I think they're going to be alright. When this team was out together I thought that they would be the opposite. Thought they would be good on offense and horrible on D. Fact is that they've been really good on D and its the offense that is having problems. If they can keep up the defense while having the offense come around they'll be able to give minny, houston, and gsw a good series that they could pull out the win over any of them.

Also think outside of the okc "big 3" they're lacking other guys who can score. Adams will have a few good nights scoring as well as other players here and there. However they don't have anyone that will be a consistent 4th scorer every night. I think they'll look to address that and their bench by the deadline. It's only 10 games in they will still be a top 4/5 team in the west at the end of the year, and won't be a team that any team above them wants to play in a series!

Jamiecballer
11-09-2017, 09:06 AM

already answered this one and got torched for it. no, it was a recipe for disaster and though there is time to turn things around for sure, i don't see them surpassing 50 wins.

ball4reel
11-09-2017, 09:24 AM
I remember when Lebron went to Miami and they started off slow. Everyone said the same ting, its a bad fit. You have to wait till mid-season before you can write them off, it takes time to gel. All 3 are use to having there own team

Scoots
11-09-2017, 09:37 AM
it's amazing to me that people can't see stat fillers that don't help much in the win department.

both Westbrook and melo fill that role.

Westbrook was an oddity last year. He did EVERYTHING for the team, but they were so shell shocked they when he didn't do everything they lost.

Scoots
11-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio that all 3 are shooting 17x per game. Id like to see melo shoot 12-14x per game, have Russ stay around 17/18 shots per game, and have pg shoot 20x per game.

I think they're going to be alright. When this team was out together I thought that they would be the opposite. Thought they would be good on offense and horrible on D. Fact is that they've been really good on D and its the offense that is having problems. If they can keep up the defense while having the offense come around they'll be able to give minny, houston, and gsw a good series that they could pull out the win over any of them.

Also think outside of the okc "big 3" they're lacking other guys who can score. Adams will have a few good nights scoring as well as other players here and there. However they don't have anyone that will be a consistent 4th scorer every night. I think they'll look to address that and their bench by the deadline. It's only 10 games in they will still be a top 4/5 team in the west at the end of the year, and won't be a team that any team above them wants to play in a series!

The non-stars on OKC include some great defenders, and they added a very good defender in PG. It was offense that I wondered about.

KnicksorBust
11-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Too much offensive talent for them not to figure it out. Even Bron-Wade-Bosh had growing pains.

Rivera
11-09-2017, 12:13 PM

he hasnt been good but lets not blame OKC's troubles on Melo. to paraphrase what Lebron said about his team last year

"OKC is top heavy as ****"

outside of the big 3. No one else can score. Adams is a great fit, but theres not one person on the bench capable of making an impact. Robertson cant shoot well. There bench is depleted and they just dont have enough talent outside their starting lineup. They are 5 deep.

That big 3 has to be super special to finish inside the top 4 in the west

AI
11-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Waaaaaaaay too early for this. Their defense has been impressive, shots havenít been falling lately.

Theyíve lost 6 games and only one of them was a bad loss (Sacramento). They basically dominated BOS and then blew a lead in the second half. They lost a game on a halfcourt 3 off the glass by Wiggins, lost again to MIN by 3, lost against the Blazers by 4 in a game where Melo was wrongfully ejected in the 3rd quarter.

Itís good that they are having these growing pains, will only make them stronger once these guys get accostumed to playing with each other. As soon as they develop chemistry, all these ďclose lossesĒ will turn into wins. Iím actually pretty excited about OKCís potential on both sides of the ball.

cheetos185
11-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Melo is a high volume scorer nothing else his knees limit him on defensive end and the guy still thinks he's the same player during his college days.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

mightybosstone
11-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Everyone is blaming Melo, but where is the Westbrook criticism? Even without the sheer volume of shots he saw last season, he's been remarkably inefficient. His 50.6 percent TS% is awful, even by Westbrook's standards, and he's shooting 60 percent from the free throw line.

And for everyone who said Westy was a one-man team last season and criticized his supporting cast, I don't think it's a coincidence that Oladipo and Sabonis are thriving without him in Indiana right now. I don't think Westbrook's style of play is necessarily conducive to winning basketball games, and I think he's really struggling in figuring out how to play when he has to share the ball with more than one other guy at a time.

That being said, I do think it's too early to totally freak out. All three guys are playing in situations they're not used to playing in. However, because they only have one season to really figure it out, I think there's more pressure on them to succeed, and the longer it takes them to figure it out, the likelihood for this thing to explode gets higher and higher.

ISIAH_THOMAS
11-10-2017, 02:05 AM
Billy Donovan seems like the problem here . thunder run zero plays outside of iso. The only other play seems to be the Adams pick and roll. I think he gets let go soon

basch152
11-10-2017, 05:49 AM
Everyone is blaming Melo, but where is the Westbrook criticism? Even without the sheer volume of shots he saw last season, he's been remarkably inefficient. His 50.6 percent TS% is awful, even by Westbrook's standards, and he's shooting 60 percent from the free throw line.

And for everyone who said Westy was a one-man team last season and criticized his supporting cast, I don't think it's a coincidence that Oladipo and Sabonis are thriving without him in Indiana right now. I don't think Westbrook's style of play is necessarily conducive to winning basketball games, and I think he's really struggling in figuring out how to play when he has to share the ball with more than one other guy at a time.

That being said, I do think it's too early to totally freak out. All three guys are playing in situations they're not used to playing in. However, because they only have one season to really figure it out, I think there's more pressure on them to succeed, and the longer it takes them to figure it out, the likelihood for this thing to explode gets higher and higher.

this though.

people need to learn that filling stay sheets doesn't mean you're helping to win games.

melo has always put up big numbers but never went far, again except when Chauncey was leading the team.

same thing with Westbrook.

and adding the two together was never going to lead to great things.

especially with all the imbeciles thinking this team was even remotely close to overthrowing gs.

mightybosstone
11-10-2017, 10:00 AM
So the Thunder are now 0-6 versus the rest of the Western Conference. They have the fourth worst record in the West and are tied for the sixth worst record in the league. It's still early, but in a Western Conference that has a ton of talent and is going to get Chris Paul and Kawhi Leonard back in the near future, they really don't have as much time as they think. If they want a top 4-5 seed, they need to wake up, and they need to do it soon.

TrueFan420
11-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Been saying it for years... Westbrook is a bigger, more atheltic version of AI. He's a greatly talented player but his style isn't conductive to winning (I mean championship style, not reg season) basketball.

Rivera
11-10-2017, 11:35 AM
I mean their most reliable scorer outside of the big 3 is raymond felton or Jeramai Grant. Like LOL.

They are top heavy as ****

LaVar Ball
11-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Randle + Deng for Paul George. OKC requires a more balanced team. PG will ultimately be happy in a Laker uniform. Letís be real, nobody long term wants to play next to Russell Westbrook.

TrueFan420
11-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Randle + Deng for Paul George. OKC requires a more balanced team. PG will ultimately be happy in a Laker uniform. Letís be real, nobody long term wants to play next to Russell Westbrook.

lol you're tripping man

Jamiecballer
11-11-2017, 09:21 PM
The Thunders last game offered some insight into why it won't work. They won and there was one major takeaway from this victory. Basketball teams, pretty much every last one of them, function best when there is a clear offensive hierarchy. Successful teams do not generally have 3 guys all taking 17.1 shots per game. They need to negotiate, internally, who is the man and figure out how to support that player. In their last game notice that Paul George had 42 points, Westbrook went for 22 on only 16 shots, and Anthony scored 14 on only 12 shots. My belief has always been that one or more of the big 3 are bound to be unhappy with this arrangement.

side note - they've got to find a way to get Patrick Patterson on the floor a lot more too.

Kyben36
11-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Incredible how melo is so hated. Yet he is allways key in USA. Peeimiter D is gonna have to be great to make up for Melo at the 4. But westbrook Robeeson and George are as Elite as it comes. Scoring won't be the issue. D will

Jamiecballer
11-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Incredible how melo is so hated. Yet he is allways key in USA. Peeimiter D is gonna have to be great to make up for Melo at the 4. But westbrook Robeeson and George are as Elite as it comes. Scoring won't be the issue. D will

willing to bet 100% that you've got that backwards

eDush
11-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Incredible how melo is so hated. Yet he is allways key in USA. Peeimiter D is gonna have to be great to make up for Melo at the 4. But westbrook Robeeson and George are as Elite as it comes. Scoring won't be the issue. D willRobeeson is not elite and no one wants to play with Westy, just ask KD :nod:

aman_13
11-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Billy Donovan seems like the problem here . thunder run zero plays outside of iso. The only other play seems to be the Adams pick and roll. I think he gets let go soon

Westbrook is a ball dominant pg. I'm not sure it's easy as letting go the coach. They need to play more up tempo though.

Alayla
11-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Been saying it for years... Westbrook is a bigger, more atheltic version of AI. He's a greatly talented player but his style isn't conductive to winning (I mean championship style, not reg season) basketball.

Interesting considering both came very close to winning titles people keep saying this kind of thing but the evidence doesn't really support the theory here.
There where quite a few times westbrook easily could have won a title if a few factors where different but oh how quickly we forget

nysportsfan23
11-12-2017, 12:40 PM
ESPN holinger value added stat. Kanter + McDermott= 75.1, Melo= 36.8. Plus knicks got potentially the first pick of the second round.
Oladipo+ Sabonis= 106.6, Paul George 54.5.
Pre season Knicks and pacers got robbed.
As of now okc got robbed, other than the fact that Westbrook resigned.

Scoots
11-12-2017, 05:19 PM
Players like Westbrook and AI, I think, need the right kind of coach and team-mates, but it's hard to assemble the right pieces and they are so talented they can win a lot of games almost by themselves.

aman_13
11-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Players like Westbrook and AI, I think, need the right kind of coach and team-mates, but it's hard to assemble the right pieces and they are so talented they can win a lot of games almost by themselves.

It should be able to work because both Melo and PG can spot up. I really believe if they pick up their tempo, they will start getting easier baskets and better flow in their offense. I can tell they are trying to do just that but at times get too half court oriented.

elledaddy
11-12-2017, 06:33 PM
If you're saying Melo is playing ISO ball you're not actually watching the gms. Melo is just catching and shooting except when they put Westy and PG on he bench and run the offense thru Melo.

aman_13
11-12-2017, 07:14 PM
If you're saying Melo is playing ISO ball you're not actually watching the gms. Melo is just catching and shooting except when they put Westy and PG on he bench and run the offense thru Melo.

Not at all. I actually think he's playing the way he needs to.

kyubi256
11-13-2017, 09:52 PM
The problem with OKC right now is that they're playing with the mindset of outscoring their opponent.

Jamiecballer
11-13-2017, 10:10 PM
The problem with OKC right now is that they're playing with the mindset of outscoring their opponent.

which is to say they are playing exactly like the 3 main individuals have proven over like a decade of basketball that they are wired to do.

Scoots
11-14-2017, 10:15 AM

And their defense is ranked where?

Jamiecballer
11-18-2017, 12:28 PM
chuck hits the nail on the head here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JarUsuwzy5I

Vee-Rex
11-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Fun Fact: OKC doesn't need to be an elite team in 2017 in order to develop into an elite contender for the 2018 championship.

Jamiecballer
11-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Fun Fact: OKC doesn't need to be an elite team in 2017 in order to develop into an elite contender for the 2018 championship.

i don't know if that's as fun as you think it is. or unique.

Vee-Rex
11-18-2017, 02:12 PM
i don't know if that's as fun as you think it is. or unique.

No, but it might be for people who don't think OKC has enough talent to become better than a 7-8 team.