PDA

View Full Version : Hof?

Rain City
11-07-2017, 03:06 AM
Making a case for Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers HOF candidacy.

Case for Ainge- Landing Garnett and Ray and and having a run of deep playoff teams with a championship in 08, than having a quick rebuild to get back in the playoffs and a #1 seed last year. Landing Brad Stevens as coach. The IT acquisition, than trading him for Kyrie. the brown and tatum picks look stellar.

Doc Rivers- Won COY in Orlando. Very respected, successful run at BOS with a ring. a consistent run of playoff teams for Clippers (think of how crazy that sounds).

I think they both can be looked at as underachieved, or need another title to the resume to solidify HOF, but i think there is a legit case. Thoughts?

ewing
11-07-2017, 07:25 AM
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoots
11-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Ainge may have a shot with a 2nd title. Doc, no.

hugepatsfan
11-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Ainge may have a shot with a 2nd title. Doc, no.

This, though I think it might take more than a second. Ainge's argument though would be that to win, tear it all down and then built it all the way back again is tougher to do from a GM perspective than just win a group that wins multiple times I'd think. But he definitely needs to at least win another.

warfelg
11-07-2017, 11:40 AM
This, though I think it might take more than a second. Ainge's argument though would be that to win, tear it all down and then built it all the way back again is tougher to do from a GM perspective than just win a group that wins multiple times I'd think. But he definitely needs to at least win another.

Agreed with all of this.

I think with voters it comes down to two things:
-Do they see it as McHale did his buddy a solid with the KG trade?
-Do they see the Nets trade as taking advantage of a desperate GM?

Those are the moves that propelled both these runs. If the voters say “yes” to both of those questions then it’s a hard battle. If they say yes to one and no to the other (honestly that’s how I answer) then I think he ultimately gets in. If they say no to both then he’s a shoo in.

mightybosstone
11-07-2017, 11:45 AM
As others have said, I think Ainge has an outside shot as one of the best GMs in the league as long as he can win a ring or two with another group in Boston. I don't like Doc's chances, nor does he deserve it. He was gifted an insanely talented veteran core that underachieved a bit in Boston and then turned around and was gifted an insanely talented core that underachieved (partly due to his abysmal job as a GM) in LA.

hugepatsfan
11-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Agreed with all of this.

I think with voters it comes down to two things:
-Do they see it as McHale did his buddy a solid with the KG trade?
-Do they see the Nets trade as taking advantage of a desperate GM?

Those are the moves that propelled both these runs. If the voters say “yes” to both of those questions then it’s a hard battle. If they say yes to one and no to the other (honestly that’s how I answer) then I think he ultimately gets in. If they say no to both then he’s a shoo in.

I really don't understand the whole thing with McHale helping Ainge out. Do people forget how good Al Jefferson was as a prospect? He was a 22 year old center coming off a 16/11 season in his first year starting.

They wanted Stoudemire from PHX but they refused. They wanted Bynum from LAL but they refused. CHI was offering a few of the "Baby Bulls" back then who might have had more cumulative value than the BOS package but there was no centerpiece as good as Al Jeff. Most people on here always argue to take the better centerpiece over a depth package anyway. And KG wouldn't re-sign in CHI anyway so it wasn't even being offered without that.

I get that BOS clearly won the trade but KG's contract made it so only a few teams would offer value and BOS offered them what was probably a top 5 trading chip in the whole NBA at the time when no one else was offering that. I don't understand the sentiment that the trade wasn't clearly the best move for Minny - both from the perspective of getting something before he walked and BOS having the best offer on the table.

Rain City
11-07-2017, 01:13 PM
i agree i don't think mchale helped out DA. it prolly wasn't even his most shrewd move. he gave up a lot for KG and took on a big contract. i think if DA can get another team to the finals, his HOF resume is pretty strong. a tough 3 GM the last 20 years.

Doc it might be too soon. a ring for LAC or another team i would think would have to get him in but if he can keep getting teams to playoffs and get get to 1,000 wins (196 away), id like to see him get in. he's such a respectable guy, how he dealt with the Donald Sterling fiasco also adds to his legacy IMO.

ewing
11-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Danny has a case for the Boston Celtic HOF.