PDA

View Full Version : George Hill, Nick Young,etc.-Less talked about big signings that did and didn't occur

NetsPaint
11-01-2017, 08:11 PM
George Hill was talked about as being a possibility signing with the Spurs this past off-season. He signed with the Kings. Do you think if he signed with the Spurs he would have been a big upgrade for them? How much of an upgrade would he have been?

The Warriors got all their main players back except for Ian Clark, and they signed Nick Young and Omri Casspi. Those aren't only good signings to an already insanely stacked team, they're GREAT additions. Amazing.

What are less talked about signings, or signings that would have been less talked about this past off-season that was/would have been big signings?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Kings are falling apart early. I could see them trade Hill at trade deadline possibly. Maybe even Carter and ZBO and Temple.

mrblisterdundee
11-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Kings are falling apart early. I could see them trade Hill at trade deadline possibly. Maybe even Carter and ZBO and Temple.

I don't get why they signed him in the first place. The Kings should be tanking as hard as possible and giving Fox all the playing time he can handle. Hill would be great on several teams.

IndyRealist
11-02-2017, 07:38 PM
I don't get why they signed him in the first place. The Kings should be tanking as hard as possible and giving Fox all the playing time he can handle. Hill would be great on several teams.

I think because at that contract he's a pretty big asset. The intention was likely always to flip him at the deadline to playoff team.

NetsPaint
11-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Interesting that Carter, Z-Bo, and Hill signed with them as well. Carter got $8 million though and wanted playing time, but I haven't seen him get many minutes or even play at all a couple games from what I've seen.

kobe4thewinbang
11-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Nice thread idea. Meant to respond earlier, but such is life.

My vote: Patty Mills.

https://airalamo.com/2017/11/01/san-antonio-spurs-patty-mills-early-season-struggles/

I'm not the only one waiting for the other shoe to drop after he got his big deal (4 years, 50 million). Dude's kept his 20-ish minute per game bench role and Popovich is playing Murray some too. From the article and his words, it seems Mills is not trying to upend the Spurs team ball system, but that didn't pan out for Aldridge. Aldridge is playing better now after going to the coach and saying this isn't working. Hopefully Mills figures it out, finds his shot, because I keep seeing one-digit point totals in the box score, not many assists, not many anything...and Parker will be back soon.

:shrug:

I've given him more of a central role on 2k, but that's my Spurs, lol. The real guy is shooting 31% on 8-ish shots per game and 25% from 3PT range. Icky. I do rub my chin about Spurs whiffing on George Hill. Not sure they were actively pursuing him, but I think he would help them. Hill's season isn't completely dwarfing Patty so far, but he is scoring more (almost 10ppg) and shooting much better. Their assists are pretty much even. They're both taking 8 shots.

kobe4thewinbang
11-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Kings are falling apart early. I could see them trade Hill at trade deadline possibly. Maybe even Carter and ZBO and Temple.Maybe it was just to have some names in town? I don't know. Head-scratchers for sure, especially since they got zilch for Boogie. Fox is nice and I like the Labissiere kid. They should be rebuilding, for sure.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Carter would be a Kidd's guy just like Suns Chandler. He seems to try and get guys he played with or coached for. Some odd reason Kings had scouts watching Henson a few games back. I'd trade Henson for Carter in a heartbeat.

JLynn943
11-03-2017, 09:38 AM
The Kings aren't falling apart. We were never really intending on competing immediately. We brought in Hill, Z-Bo, and Carter largely for mentoring purposes and stabilizing the roster. Obviously we want to win games, but those players all are very aware of what the team is doing. We're mixing the youth with veterans to try and win (you don't play a game without trying to win it obviously) but simultaneously show the ropes the all of our young guys. By the end of the season, we should hopefully be a much better team. It will just take some time.

Lena01
11-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Itís July 4th and while Lakers fans are waiting for their free agency fireworks, they might just settle for some sparklers at this point. The team has been fairly quiet since the market opened, making contact with Andre Iguodala (stayed in Golden State) and Ben McLemore (signed in Memphis), had multiple conversations with Rajon Rondo (still unsigned), and have met with Dion Waiters and George Hill ó who are both still on the market.

Hill is the best name among this group for what the Lakers need. Heís a point guard in name, but more of a combo guard in skill set. Heís a fine lead ball handler who can initiate the offense, run P&Rís, and create shots for himself and teammates (though this is not his best strength, to be sure). Heís also a very good off-ball worker, someone who can make spot up jumpers, understands spacing, and knows how to attack a compromised defense when the ball rotates to him and the opposition is in scramble mode.

Defensively heís also an excellent player. He offers good size and length, has a keen understanding of opposing teamís tactics and habits, tracks his man and gets to his help responsibilities fluidly, and competes hard on that end. Due to his size and smarts, he can guard either backcourt position and not be overwhelmed. Heís not an all-NBA level performer on that end, but everywhere heís been heís helped make his teamís defense a top third of the league unit and while thatís a team stat, I donít think you can dismiss Hillís role in making that happen.

IndyRealist
11-06-2017, 10:04 AM
If the Lakers wanted George Hill they could have outbid the Kings. Either they weren't interested, or didn't want to pay for him. Now they would have to give up assets for the right to pay him. I don't mind KCP but Hill is historically the better player.