PDA

View Full Version : Hinkie-ing a franchise

warfelg
11-01-2017, 10:33 AM
So I was talking with a fellow Sixers fan last night, and we were talking about being in NBA purgatory (based on the fact we both became fans in the AI era). We evolved into the topic of what NBA teams are stuck there and evolved into a "How to Hinkie a Franchise", to get our man a job again.

Basically what middling roster with no stars, too many contracts, and no hope of higher than a 7th seed needs the Hinkie style reboot.

We landed on a few simple rules:
~No one on the team can have an All-NBA to their name (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team).
~No ousting of first year GM's (Taking a team like the Lakers out of play).
~You must trade off AT LEAST 3 of the top 6 players in realistic moves.
~Target 2 salary dumps you would take on and what you would want (within reason) to take that contract.
~The team could be no higher than a 6 seed in the last 2 years.

Who do you take, what are your moves, and why?

ewing
11-01-2017, 10:46 AM
None

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hugepatsfan
11-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Why would I want to re-do an unsuccessful approach? Rather than Hinkie a franchise I'd rather take some of his good ideas and incorporate them with other good ideas.

warfelg
11-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Why would I want to re-do an unsuccessful approach? Rather than Hinkie a franchise I'd rather take some of his good ideas and incorporate them with other good ideas.

Well that's kinda the idea. Just how would you start it. Also can't really say it was unsuccessful yet.

Chronz
11-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Best rebuild ever

Celticsfan2007
11-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Can you add:

-You must draft 3 center prospects with top 5 picks in consecutive drafts

Under simple rules?

mrblisterdundee
11-02-2017, 12:53 AM
So I was talking with a fellow Sixers fan last night, and we were talking about being in NBA purgatory (based on the fact we both became fans in the AI era). We evolved into the topic of what NBA teams are stuck there and evolved into a "How to Hinkie a Franchise", to get our man a job again.

Basically what middling roster with no stars, too many contracts, and no hope of higher than a 7th seed needs the Hinkie style reboot.

We landed on a few simple rules:
~No one on the team can have an All-NBA to their name (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team).
~No ousting of first year GM's (Taking a team like the Lakers out of play).
~You must trade off AT LEAST 3 of the top 6 players in realistic moves.
~Target 2 salary dumps you would take on and what you would want (within reason) to take that contract.
~The team could be no higher than a 6 seed in the last 2 years.

Who do you take, what are your moves, and why?

Hinkie's blueprint won't work as well with lottery reform. But I'll tweak and break some of your rules and try with the Pelicans:
1. Trade Cousins to the Cavaliers for Thompson, Osman and the Nets pick.
2. After Thanksgiving (Kanter's trade restriction expires on Black Friday), swing a three-way trade with Boston and New York. Have Boston trade Horford to the Knicks; take back Noah and Kanter in exchange for New York's first-rounder; and send Davis and Moore to Boston for basically all their first round picks over the next two years.
3. Tank hard, pump up Holiday's numbers and get a good pick to go along with all of Boston's and New York's.
4. Own the 2018 draft lottery.
5. Next season, offer Holiday to the Nuggets for Plumlee's contract, Arthur's contract, Murray and a first-rounder.
6. Add more 2019 lottery players.
7. Continue sucking in hopes of high picks while seeing which young guys become stars.
8. Leave New Orleans for Seattle.

IndyRealist
11-02-2017, 09:22 AM
I'll try this later in the season with the Pacers. Right now Kevin Pritchard looks like a genius.

topdog
11-02-2017, 01:23 PM
So... Noel is gone for basically nothing, Okafor will be gone for a similar price by the trade deadline, Fultz legitimately looks like he could be a bust (I know it's early) and practically any success the team has will be based on a player who could not play half of his double injury red-shirted rookie year?

Why would anyone try to repeat that?

IndyRealist
11-02-2017, 01:24 PM
So... Noel is gone for basically nothing, Okafor will be gone for a similar price by the trade deadline, Fultz legitimately looks like he could be a bust (I know it's early) and practically any success the team has will be based on a player who could not play half of his double injury red-shirted rookie year?

Why would anyone try to repeat that?

Simmons looks like a stud. Embiid looks like a stud. Fultz is injured and played injured every game. That's 2 for 4 if you don't count Fultz.

AllBall
11-02-2017, 02:59 PM

I beg to differ. Hinkie was quite possibly a mad genius. So far the 76ers are pretty good and the Colangelo's deserve no credit except for their butchering the draft with this Fultz debacle.

hugepatsfan
11-02-2017, 03:09 PM
I beg to differ. Hinkie was quite possibly a mad genius. So far the 76ers are pretty good and the Colangelo's deserve no credit except for their butchering the draft with this Fultz debacle.

I think Hinkie did an overall great job. But he made some serious mistakes too. Took BPA to stupidly high levels to where he absolutely CRUSHED the value of his players. Created a culture of waiting and tanking rather than incorporating player development into the plan. Like I said, I don't want to recreate what he did. I'd take some, even a lot, of his ideas but then fix all the various things he dropped the ball on.

Celticsfan2007
11-02-2017, 03:33 PM

If what Hinkie did was so mad genius, then why has NO OTHER TEAM picked him up since his resignation?

Like HPF said above, he made some really good moves. Some even great moves, but was ABYSMAL in a lot of other areas that pertain to running a basketball team. Running a team isn't just about making good "trade's" or drafting "BPA" *3 centers in three years with top 5 picks*

Hinkies level of tanking was not only bad for the NBA product, but it was bad for the franchise he ran and that is why he was ousted out of his job.

warfelg
11-02-2017, 03:57 PM
If what Hinkie did was so mad genius, then why has NO OTHER TEAM picked him up since his resignation?

He had a non-compete this past year (2016-17 season); was offered assistant GM positions but turned them down.

hugepatsfan
11-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Hinkie isn't some genius. Many teams have tanked. The problem is that you either do one of two things:

1) bust on your high picks so you get fired

2) hit on them so you're team gets better and is no longer bad enough to get super high picks

Hinkie's hits were Embiid who has barely played. Even with a hit he still didn't "suffer' the problem in #2 of getting better as a team. Same with drafting Saric overseas. Same with Noel missing a year that helped them get in better position for Embiid.

There's no mad genius. His hits were just hits without making his team better in the short-term because they were injury guys or foreign stashes.

Trading away vets to be worst... lmfao if you think he started that.

Trading for bad deals in exchange for picks... lmfao if you think he started that.

The God worship of him is absurd.

warfelg
11-02-2017, 04:16 PM
I mean sure, if you ignore that he also:

Took on Stauskis in a trade that was a salary dump that gave us the ability to swap from 5 to 3, and the pick with the ability to move up for Fultz.

Found Jerami Grant in the second.

Took backup C Richaun Holmes in the second.

Signed TJ McConnell as a UDFA.

Picked Robert Covington from the then DLeague who has developed into a legit 3-and-D.

Took on JaVale McGee with the 1st round pick that got us Timoty Luwawu-Cabarrot.

Took on someone else (I honestly can't remember all of it) that allowed us to take Furkan Korkmaz.

Did the deal to take Enfrid Peyton, then Swap him for Saric, which ensured that we kept the pick that ended up becoming Simmons.

Traded MCW for the Lakers pick which was used for Fultz, that we can still possibly keep, at a time that most people did not know why he did it.

But yea....he didn't do a whole lot there.

hugepatsfan
11-02-2017, 04:37 PM
I mean sure, if you ignore that he also:

Took on Stauskis in a trade that was a salary dump that gave us the ability to swap from 5 to 3, and the pick with the ability to move up for Fultz.

Found Jerami Grant in the second.

Took backup C Richaun Holmes in the second.

Signed TJ McConnell as a UDFA.

Picked Robert Covington from the then DLeague who has developed into a legit 3-and-D.

Took on JaVale McGee with the 1st round pick that got us Timoty Luwawu-Cabarrot.

Took on someone else (I honestly can't remember all of it) that allowed us to take Furkan Korkmaz.

Did the deal to take Enfrid Peyton, then Swap him for Saric, which ensured that we kept the pick that ended up becoming Simmons.

Traded MCW for the Lakers pick which was used for Fultz, that we can still possibly keep, at a time that most people did not know why he did it.

But yea....he didn't do a whole lot there.

Those were all good moves. Like I said, he did a great job. But you act like drafting a good player in the 2nd round, or finding a D-League guy that worked out or adding draft capital in a salary dump deal are some revolutionary concepts that Hinkie started. Those are basic GM concepts that have been done long before Hinkie, were done by others during his time, and will continue to be done into the future.

He did a really good job there but the idea that he has some secret formula is taken to ridiculous levels. The only "genius" he did was market tanking as an elaborate process that fans could take pride in instead of being annoyed by it and not want to watch. As a GM he didn't really do anything revolutionary that hasn't been done before. He was just "lucky" enough that his good draft picks took eyars to pan out so he could keep getting higher picks than if they were playing earlier and contributed.

If Noel were able to play and be a rookie of the year candidate like he was in year 2 there's a solid chance that they don't get #3 for Embiid. And if Embiid were healthy enough to play more than 31 games in his first 3 years there's a good chance they never get in position for Simmons. And then even if all that happened, doubt they're in position to trade for Fultz if Simmons played last year.

That's why his rebuild worked out so great (so far). Not because he had some revolutionary ideas. He was a good GM who made good moves. No one is denying that.

AllBall
11-02-2017, 08:57 PM

Because you have to be pretty cold blooded and heartless to do it. You essentially have to ignore the human element completely. Ignore the feelings of the players, coaching staff, media and fans to the point of alienation. Everyone says they can do that, but few people can do that. Just look at the stats and the 1's and 0's and run things like it's in a lab.

warfelg
11-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Because you have to be pretty cold blooded and heartless to do it. You essentially have to ignore the human element completely. Ignore the feelings of the players, coaching staff, media and fans to the point of alienation. Everyone says they can do that, but few people can do that. Just look at the stats and the 1's and 0's and run things like it's in a lab.

Actually players, coaches, and media around when he was here talked about how personable he was and know the little things about players that most GM's didn't bother to learn.