PDA

View Full Version : Guys you would like to your would have liked to see be a #1

ewing
10-28-2017, 12:00 AM
My top 2 are Klay and Manu. I think Manu had it and klay has it. Who would you like to see have that role that hasn't and why?

ewing
10-28-2017, 12:11 AM
Mine was Blake Griffin. He was the #1 when he was younger and the Clippers were a garbage team, but played 2nd fiddle to Chris Paul the past 6 years. So I was really looking forward to seeing him now in the post CP era when the Clippers still have a good deal of talent.
Small sample size of 4 games, but so far he's looked great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

he is a beast when healthy and you are right it is fun to watch

goingfor28
10-28-2017, 12:11 AM
Mine was Blake Griffin. He was the #1 when he was younger and the Clippers were a garbage team, but played 2nd fiddle to Chris Paul the past 6 years. So I was really looking forward to seeing him now in the post CP era when the Clippers still have a good deal of talent.
Small sample size of 4 games, but so far he's looked great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kyben36
10-28-2017, 01:35 AM
Im not gonna bring up any names but I think most of these guys that will be listed would make bad #1 options.

Also FWIW. Most guys get at least some shot to show due to injury or something. Like some have said blake has shown some ability to be when cp3 was out. Klay to me likely signs somewhere else next comtract simply due to money. So he may get his shot. But its rare a guy is stuck under another his whole carear. The only one i can think of has already been brought up in Manu. But in no way coukd I see him being a #1.

Personally i was gonna say pippen but he got his chance when the GOAT took a year off.

I mean really how many guys get no shot to show it anyway.

ewing
10-28-2017, 01:58 AM
Im not gonna bring up any names but I think most of these guys that will be listed would make bad #1 options.

Also FWIW. Most guys get at least some shot to show due to injury or something. Like some have said blake has shown some ability to be when cp3 was out. Klay to me likely signs somewhere else next comtract simply due to money. So he may get his shot. But its rare a guy is stuck under another his whole carear. The only one i can think of has already been brought up in Manu. But in no way coukd I see him being a #1.

Personally i was gonna say pippen but he got his chance when the GOAT took a year off.

I mean really how many guys get no shot to show it anyway.

Pip got multiple chances after mike too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegerman
10-28-2017, 02:50 AM
dennis smith jr

HandsOnTheWheel
10-28-2017, 03:10 AM
Eh, Klay is a product created entirely by GS's system. I see why tresigs was saying he's the most easily replaced player on the team now. FWIW, if he goes ghost for stretches playing with GS, just slap him on a team like the Nets and he gets rendered somewhat ineffective IMO. Yes he will get more shots, but without the safeguard of playing under perhaps the greatest offense and system this league has seen, doubt he has even near the same impact.

FlashBolt
10-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Eh, Klay is a product created entirely by GS's system. I see why tresigs was saying he's the most easily replaced player on the team now. FWIW, if he goes ghost for stretches playing with GS, just slap him on a team like the Nets and he gets rendered somewhat ineffective IMO. Yes he will get more shots, but without the safeguard of playing under perhaps the greatest offense and system this league has seen, doubt he has even near the same impact.

And without Klay guarding the opposing backcourt, where do you think they hide Curry? He doesn't get enough credit for being an elite 3&D player. There isn't a better player at it. To say he's expendable is due to the fact that with KD on the court, it doesn't really matter if Klay plays well most of the time. But when they didn't have KD, who the hell said Klay was expendable? This narrative only began changing because Warriors got more stacked and thus, some players are more expendable.

FlashBolt
10-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Pip got multiple chances after mike too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, when he was already accustomed to playing a certain way and was heading downwards of his career? Phil Jackson said Pippen was the leader most of his teammates talked to and that Pippen was equally as dominant of a leader than Jordan. Also said Pippen was their defensive leader over Jordan. Pippen just never gets any respect around here. He could have been higher ranked had he not won those rings but had his own team because everyone just thinks he rode Jordan's backpack. I probably would have to go Manu, here. Wished he played for the Knicks at his prime. Absolutely loved watching him.

beasted86
10-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Here's a name people have probably long forgotten.... Andrew Bynum!

Seriously. Considering all the Dwight Howard comparisons at the time carried by the nauseating Lakers fan hype, it would have been interesting to see what career curve a healthy Bynum would have had especially in the East.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-28-2017, 06:31 PM
Scottie Pippen. I know he was #1 when MJ retired but I would have liked to see how it would have worked if he was #1 the whole time. Would he crack under pressure or nah?

mrblisterdundee
10-29-2017, 03:33 PM
I feel like McCollum could run his own team as the main option, like Harden with a better outside shot.

tredigs
10-29-2017, 03:44 PM
I feel like McCollum could run his own team as the main option, like Harden with a better outside shot.

He's not much of a playmaker though, and I really think he benefits playing off a guy like Lillard who the defense always tends to respect 1st. I wouldn't want him as my best player but yeah he could be a #1 offensively (lol though definitely not as good as Harden who is much more impactful with his paint finishing, FT drawing + playmaking ability).

mike_noodles
10-29-2017, 03:51 PM
I don't know why it exists so much in the NBA compared to other leagues. Why is it so important to be "the guy"? To have "your own team"? There are less than a handful of guys in the league that can carry a team to greatness.

tredigs
10-29-2017, 03:57 PM
I don't know why it exists so much in the NBA compared to other leagues. Why is it so important to be "the guy"? To have "your own team"? There are less than a handful of guys in the league that can carry a team to greatness.

I think being the #1 scoring option is sometimes overrated and confused with being a teams best player (though they are admittedly often the same), but being "the guy" in the NBA is a real thing. Mike Trout is probably a top-10 player to ever step on a baseball field, and his efforts are fruitless in trying to carry the Angels to the playoffs (who spend more money than just about any team). In Football the most important player - the quarterback - does receive massive adulation, but even their impact pales in comparison to an NBA player (who is in the action for 3/4th's of every game).

tp13baby
10-29-2017, 07:19 PM
He's not much of a playmaker though, and I really think he benefits playing off a guy like Lillard who the defense always tends to respect 1st. I wouldn't want him as my best player but yeah he could be a #1 offensively (lol though definitely not as good as Harden who is much more impactful with his paint finishing, FT drawing + playmaking ability).

Disagreed, watching him a ton in our division I think he could handle an offense.

tredigs
10-29-2017, 07:23 PM
Disagreed, watching him a ton in our division I think he could handle an offense.
You agreed with me.