PDA

View Full Version : Are the Orlando Magic the real deal?

HandsOnTheWheel
10-27-2017, 09:21 PM
Blowout wins over Miami, Cleveland, and San Antonio so far. They sit 1st in the East right now, do you think they're for real?

FlashBolt
10-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Way too early to tell... it's like saying if Giannis can average his stats for the entire season.

tp13baby
10-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Felt they were never as bad as their record indicated last year but AG can be crazy good as long as you play him at PF not SF

tredigs
10-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Sure, as long as they continue this pace of smashing the history books with their shot, I have them as the best team in the NBA (of all time).

tredigs
10-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Felt they were never as bad as their record indicated last year but AG can be crazy good as long as you play him at PF not SF

Interestingly their expected W/L last year was way lower then their actual total of 29 wins. They were bottom 10 on both sides of the floor. If things break right I could see them pushing for an 8 spot and ~38 wins this season though.

IndyRealist
10-27-2017, 10:31 PM
If Aaron Gordon continues to shoot 85.7% from 3, sure.

HandsOnTheWheel
10-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Early but these blowout wins are impressive, no?

D-Leethal
10-27-2017, 10:56 PM
I haven't watched them for one minute but I'm pretty comfortable saying no.

ewing
10-27-2017, 10:59 PM
nah

5ass
10-27-2017, 11:11 PM
No they're not going to get a top seed in the play offs. They look like they could fight for the 8th seed though. Tonight's win was impressive, but its like people are forgetting that Kawhi didnt play.

5ass
10-27-2017, 11:14 PM
Interestingly their expected W/L last year was way lower then their actual total of 29 wins. They were bottom 10 on both sides of the floor. If things break right I could see them pushing for an 8 spot and ~38 wins this season though.

I think they were more talented individually than a typical 29 win teams' players, not by much though..They added Ibaka and Frank Vogel last offseason. Ibaka wasnt a good fit and it took Vogel atleast half the season to understand how to use his players to their strengths (which Skiles did better and quicker). Ibaka was also traded midseason and they got a new starter.

With Ibaka gone, AG playing PF , and some stability, Vogel should know everyone's strengths and weaknesses now. He's putting them in position to succeed and they're playing with a chip on their shoulders after the embarrassment last season. Its a great start, but they'll come back down to earth. They should be fighting for the 8th seed though. They're fun to watch. They're passing the ball (for the most part) and running. Defense needs to be more consistent.

mrblisterdundee
10-29-2017, 03:49 PM
I don't see how four or five guys can keep shooting historically great from three, but they're certainly playing a more modern brand of basketball. Bledsoe would be a nice fit there.

tredigs
10-29-2017, 04:02 PM
I think they were more talented individually than a typical 29 win teams' players, not by much though..They added Ibaka and Frank Vogel last offseason. Ibaka wasnt a good fit and it took Vogel atleast half the season to understand how to use his players to their strengths (which Skiles did better and quicker). Ibaka was also traded midseason and they got a new starter.

With Ibaka gone, AG playing PF , and some stability, Vogel should know everyone's strengths and weaknesses now. He's putting them in position to succeed and they're playing with a chip on their shoulders after the embarrassment last season. Its a great start, but they'll come back down to earth. They should be fighting for the 8th seed though. They're fun to watch. They're passing the ball (for the most part) and running. Defense needs to be more consistent.

Yeah, I really do like Gordon at PF. Despite the playmaking aspect he has a lot of Blake in him.

Aust
10-29-2017, 05:17 PM
No, need at least a 20 game sample size. They are going to fall back down to earth.

JasonJohnHorn
10-29-2017, 07:11 PM
I would say no, though they have a strong chance to place well over .500 and make the playoffs, perhaps even second sound (it is the east after all).

First place standing though?

Couple things make that unlikely.

One: DJ won't score this effectively throughout the season. I feel like he's hit his plateau. I'd like to see him play this well, but I feel like this is a hot streak.

Two: There is nothing about Simmons that suggests he's on anything more than a hot streak.
Three: Nikola won't be able to shoot at .600 all year.
Four: A-God ain't shooting over .700 from the arc all year.

However, there is reason to think they can be a playoff team over .500 that could compete with The Toronto Jurassic Parks and the Washington Harry Potters (and even an unhealthy Cavs/Celtics roster).

1. Nikola has shown he can post numbers similar to these throughout a season when given minutes, so though 26/10 at .600 is unlikely, 20/12 at .500 is not... and those are is still All-Star numbers.

2. A-God may not shoot .700 from the arc, but it seems he's worked on this shot, and it is fair to expect a player of his age to improve up on last season's performance. And he's been over .500 2% each year. So 20/10 from him seems reasonable.

3. Fournier is hitting his prime. His numbers seem reasonable enough, and I expect he could hold up numbers close to these (though not as high) throughout the season. Though .350-400 from beyond the arc seems more reasonable than .500 for him.

4. Payton should improve as well. His TS% has improved each year (though his 3pt dipped a bit last year). Hi assists are up in part because his teammates are hitting so many shots, so I expect those to come down to about 7 per36, and his steals will likely come down, but he should be more efficient this year.

So... with A-God and Payton improving, Fournier and Nikola in their prime, and a good coach, this team should be a .500/playoff team and has the potential for 50-wins. But there is no way any team, even the Warriors, could maintain the kind of efficiency they've pulled off to start the season.

I mean... they got guys shooting .700 and .500 from the arc and .600 from the floor. Anybody who expects that to hold up is crazy. But past performances and progress indicates that these guys can put up competitive numbers.

I say 4th or 5th seed.

5ass
10-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Vucevic needs to keep shooting and making the three ball. He provides much needed spacing.

Simmons has been really good. The toughness and ability to penetrate are much needed. His defensive versatility is important too. Hard not to like him.

They lost to the Hornets, but they fought hard to try to make a comeback. Kemba is so hard to stop the Magic couldnt play DJ or Mack much LOL. One weakness seems to be 1/5 pick n roll. Especially when they go up against athletic centers and quick PGs. With Payton out they had no choice but to put Simmons and Ross at Kemba and switching. DJ/Vucevic cant handle Kemba/Dwight.

I agree with the poster that mentioned them adding Bledsoe. He would be a great fit. They might be able to offer a top 12 protected 1st and maybe Payton and DJ...

flea
10-29-2017, 08:56 PM
I'd be utterly shocked if they won 40 games, and I watched a fair number of them last year (10-15 games) for a non-fan. Simmons/Gordon could be a fun pair of forwards but like at FSU Simmons is also pretty inconsistent. I dunno about the guards, I used to believe in Payton and I still think he's a 10 year NBA player but IDK if he's ever an all star. Fournier is a nice glue guy vet. Vooch is Vooch, rest of the roster isn't worth talking about.

I say 35 wins.