PDA

View Full Version : Should Raptors look into trading Lowry?

JasonJohnHorn
10-24-2017, 10:25 AM
During the offseason, it seemed that Lowry legit wanted to move. His success in TO gave him a nice resume that guaranteed a sizable contract, but the Spurs didn't have the cap space, and the 76ers had picked up a point guard in the draft.

Other teams that might have fit didn't have space either.

Now, his play seems uninspired. I wouldn't say he's not trying (this may simply be an early season slump), but he doesn't seem as motivated.

Before this becomes a regular pattern and his market value tanks, might it be a good idea to work out a trade? The Raptors aren't winning it with this team, though they may make it to the conference finals. Might it be time to move him for some picks and young assets? Where might be a good destination? Who might want him?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Depends on the asking price. Suns getting greedy for Bledsoe wanting out. Also injury prone. Raptors should of traded Lowry before his new contract. Also should of traded DD way before his new deal came into play. Also should of never traded for Ibaka. Now your kinda stuck in a rut going all in.

Vee-Rex
10-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Too late for that. Should've traded him at last year's deadline.

Now he's 31 (gonna be 32 in March) and on a 3 year contract that pays him as much as LeBron.

It is what it is.

FlashBolt
10-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Lowry is heading into the end of his career at this point. He seems to be overweight and because of his size, he's already at a disadvantage. Doesn't show up for the playoffs.. isn't good enough to outpace the best PG's. No idea why Raptors held onto him.

aman_13
10-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Lowry is heading into the end of his career at this point. He seems to be overweight and because of his size, he's already at a disadvantage. Doesn't show up for the playoffs.. isn't good enough to outpace the best PG's. No idea why Raptors held onto him.

He's actually in fantastic shape. Looks like the Lowry from two yrs ago in terms of his physique.

A thread like this kind of loses credibility when it's created on the heels of a poor game on his part and after a loss, when the game was up for grabs. In fact, the OP made the same thread about Lowry last year at the beginning of the season. Lowry was off to a slow start, but actually end up having his best season of his career. I don't expect much to change this season. He's an elite regular season point guard who struggles in the playoffs.

The Raptors are no different than most teams in the league, they are playing for second place. The only reason the Raptors haven't rebuilt is because the East is wide open. They are hoping for a couple more ECF appearances and maybe a finals appearance if they get really lucky. However it won't be long until they do start the rebuild. It's a 2 or 3 yr window.

And when I say "most teams", I actually mean every team except for the Cavs.

kobe4thewinbang
10-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Only the Kings would take that deal off Toronto's hands. And even the Kings look to be smarter now. #untradeableinabadway

IndyRealist
10-24-2017, 04:59 PM
How about we wait until the the Raptors are worse than .667?

Vee-Rex
10-24-2017, 06:40 PM
How about we wait until the the Raptors are worse than .667?

After they lose to the Warriors tomorrow?

warfelg
10-24-2017, 06:46 PM
They are too into it now and the time to trade him was 2 years ago.

IndyRealist
10-24-2017, 07:37 PM
After they lose to the Warriors tomorrow?

Losing 2 in a row and being .500 is probably a more reasonable time to suggest they trade their starting PG, yes.

Heediot
10-24-2017, 07:44 PM
i think even .500 this early is no time to over-react. gs should of traded klay already then. at least 20 games in, but i'm no ryan mcdonough.

IndyRealist
10-24-2017, 09:07 PM
i think even .500 this early is no time to over-react. gs should of traded klay already then. at least 20 games in, but i'm no ryan mcdonough.

More reasonable than when they're 2-1, but still not reasonable.

beasted86
10-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Yes, they should trade him. The time to do it was in the summer though.

If they were smart I'd have tested how thirsty Milwaukee is for a premier PG and dangle him for Middleton + Brogdon. They would have probably reached and gave that up.

europagnpilgrim
10-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Lowry cashed in as he should have and with the way teams are looking its only a small handful of teams that make a little to no sense and out of those teams they would have to take back a player with a similar contract, so if they want to do a Payton/Dragic with one of those Fl. teams then it would basically be a wash and not nothing to improve the team to be a at best ECF and at worst a 1st round disaster, they are in a pretty tough situation but at least they are competitive from a punchers chance realm as currently constructed.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-24-2017, 10:18 PM
They can't exactly trade Lowry without trading Demar and Ibaka.

Lowry will still be an all star and a top 30 player this year I gotta think by year end. Not good enough for a title but Raptors really just wanna make money.

lol, please
10-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Whatever you do, keep DeGOATzan. DeRozan is the future, like the Nintendo Switch, or the IoT.

smith&wesson
10-25-2017, 12:52 AM
To early...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Yes, they should trade him. The time to do it was in the summer though.

If they were smart I'd have tested how thirsty Milwaukee is for a premier PG and dangle him for Middleton + Brogdon. They would have probably reached and gave that up.

Bucks offered that for younger Irving. Bucks wont part with Maker in the Bledsoe deal. I highly doubt we offer Middleton/Brogdon for older Lowry. Lowry at 31 doesn't fit Milwaukee time line. They be lucky to get a late first and expiring Moose from us. Plus Raptors kinda stuck now. They should of gave up on Lowry and DD before newer contracts.

R. Johnson#3
10-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Bucks offered that for younger Irving. Bucks wont part with Maker in the Bledsoe deal. I highly doubt we offer Middleton/Brogdon for older Lowry. Lowry at 31 doesn't fit Milwaukee time line. They be lucky to get a late first and expiring Moose from us. Plus Raptors kinda stuck now. They should of gave up on Lowry and DD before newer contracts.

Yeah they should've just blown it all up after a trip to the ECF because when you blow a team up they're guaranteed to come back 10000% better.

Lowry's comments pissed me off but let's be real here. Is there another PG the Raps can get now that gives them a better chance to win than Lowry? The answer to that question is no so they went and re-signed him. They overpaid but they're only paying him for years where he'll still be effective.

You don't blow up a perrenial top seed team that's rallied a GIGANTIC fan base over the past few seasons. Especially after those fans weren't really showing up for the past decade or so.

ewing
10-30-2017, 12:39 AM
do it. tank!

Sly Guy
11-01-2017, 09:59 PM
can't really trade him at this point. He's recently signed and trading a guy you just invested in in the first month of a season doesn't look all that great to other free agents. Also doesn't look good to casual fans, and calls into question the direction the management is looking to take the team.

Realistically we overpaid for Lowry this off season, but we did it with the intent of having a clean slate of cap space in 3 years. Because of the size of Lowry's deal, he becomes really hard to move, unless you want to take some garbage back. And that might fly in the face of that clear cap space down the road.

So would I be open to trading him? Yeah, absolutely. Will we? Doubtful. We're simply a 3-4 seed for the next few seasons.

Toxeryll
11-02-2017, 12:12 AM

overweight lol. u gotta watch the games

tp13baby
11-02-2017, 12:19 AM
overweight lol. u gotta watch the games

Yeah he doesn’t look overweight to me.