PDA

View Full Version : Front Runner for ROY?

JasonJohnHorn
10-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Who do you got?

With Kyrie and Hayward joining the fold in Boston, and Jaylen Brown having shown promise last year, and while competing for minutes in a crowded front court, I would not have expected Jayson Tatum to be competing for ROY, but his game-one performance was promising, and Hayward tragic injury has opened up minutes in the front court. It seems like Boston is going to need somebody to pick up the slack, and it may very well be Tatum.

The Sixers have two ROY candidates, and last year's two best rookies all competing for the ball, so with a healthy roster, it seems like any will get the ball enough to make a clear case for ROY.

Lonzo is going to get a lot of ball time in LAL.

Who's the front runner right now?

Celticsfan2007
10-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Ball
Simmons

Tatum
DSJ

Fultz
JJ

Everyone else

TheDish87
10-18-2017, 03:59 PM
still Simmons but Tatums odds should increase with a larger role, dude can ball. Fultz, Smith Jr, Ball should all have a shot to

tredigs
10-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Ball's a lot better than some people seem to realize (though not in a great situation), and that's going to pay dividends for him in ROY voting with so much of the spotlight in the league already on him. I've been unimpressed with Simmons in the early going, I think he'll make quite a few highlight plays between his dunks and passing, but Ball's the better talent and that will show itself throughout the year imo. Tatum obviously has a much bigger role to fill now with Hayward out, and he's fairly polished for a 1 and done, but I'm not expecting him to be anything too special.

DSJ is my dark horse who is going to have the most outstanding offensive highs of any player imo, but I'm thinking Ball takes this down despite having very little to showcase his vision/passing to.

Lil Rhody
10-18-2017, 04:11 PM
I really don't think you should win rookie of the year if you are injured your first year and play the second. They have an unfair advantage of already being into a NBA regiment for a whole year. Sorry but to me your out

TheDish87
10-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Simmons >>> Ball

Jeffy25
10-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Ball, Simmons, Tatum, and Fultz are my knee jerk reactions.

I like Tatum, but I'm partial to him (he's from right up the road). And even though Bron totally whooped him last night, be handled it really well and showed his effort. If he can keep up that sort of effort for another 81 games, I like his chances. Handling adversity is every thing in basketball.

Lakers + Giants
10-18-2017, 04:35 PM
Kuzma and Ball. Duh.

Hawkeye15
10-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Tatum

TrueFan420
10-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Didn't you get the memo? Ball already won ROY.

5ass
10-18-2017, 04:49 PM
DSJ is still my favorite.

More-Than-Most
10-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Simmons >>> Ball

agreed but and i say this would horrid distaste in my mouth... I am really really really really down on ball because of his shooting.......................... Right now I think i trust his shot more than Simmons... That is how infuriating it was to watch the preseason... Simmons was great in terms of his per in the preseason but his 1 glaring hole he decided not to work on and I hope it doesnt hurt him early.

More-Than-Most
10-18-2017, 04:50 PM

yup... he is going to hurt a ton of peoples feelings in 3 years when he is a monster and some of these guys like fultz/ball/tatum bust.

ewing
10-18-2017, 06:04 PM
agreed but and i say this would horrid distaste in my mouth... I am really really really really down on ball because of his shooting.......................... Right now I think i trust his shot more than Simmons... That is how infuriating it was to watch the preseason... Simmons was great in terms of his per in the preseason but his 1 glaring hole he decided not to work on and I hope it doesnt hurt him early.

you mean the fact that he is incapable of putting the ball in the basket from anywhere on the court?

tredigs
10-18-2017, 06:08 PM

? Ball has fantastic range, albeit a weird release that might limit him slightly against lengthy/athletic NBA defenders. To my knowledge Ben Simmons has never made a 3 in his life. He has enough athleticism that I think he can get past that if he gets at least a passable jumper, but in pre-season (as we talked about), he just looked passive and a little scared out there. It's definitely a major cause for concern for him. Ball IMO will be fine as he loves to fire and clearly can dagger threes + finish around the rim (just has too slow of a first step to ever be ultra dangerous in this regard). But overall offensively, I don't see any reason why Ball won't be better than Simmons. I think he's being underrated due to his old man. That guy should have gone over Fultz without question (sorry not trying to harp on your Sixers here dude).

HandsOnTheWheel
10-18-2017, 06:29 PM
Simmons

JAZZNC
10-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Probably Ball or Smith.

My dark horse/total homer pick is Mitchell. He's been impressive and gives me hope for the future but unfortunately these kinds of awards don't reward defense at all.

flea
10-18-2017, 08:10 PM
I still believe Tatum will be the best in the class and he'll make a good run at ROY now that Hayward is down. Simmons is my runner-up, mostly because he's going to have the ball in his hands so much that he'll certainly put up numbers if healthy.

10 years ago I'd say Tatum needs 2-3 years to build up his body, especially if he's going to spend significant time as a 4. In this zone defense era I think he'll be fine. It'll all depend on how good his 3 point jumper is. Was good but not great in college, and it's hard to tell how a guy will make the jump to the NBA range even if he's an elite college shooter (see: Hield, Buddy). Everything else he can do, and he plays tougher than you'd think based on his polished game.

Aust
10-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Simmons, DSJ, Mitchell

Maybe Tatum too as it will be easier playing with a pair of All Stars.

tp13baby
10-18-2017, 09:22 PM
If Exum is injured, I feel confident in adding Donovan Mitchell to the convo, really a Kemba type talent in Utah with a group that doesnít have many scorers.

Mr.B
10-18-2017, 09:31 PM

Mine too but Ball is going to win it. Heís better than people give him credit for and he plays in LA. So his exposure and visibility is off the charts. If they even get close to the 8th seed Ball will be the runaway winner.

crewfan13
10-18-2017, 09:37 PM
I'm a big Mitchell fan, I just don't think he has the type of game thatneins ROY. ROY typically goes to stay compilers and I don't see Mitchell being a big compiler. That's why I think Dennis smith has a decent shot. He's going to get a lot of looks, especially since dirk likely isn't playing 82 games.

5ass
10-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Mine too but Ball is going to win it. Heís better than people give him credit for and he plays in LA. So his exposure and visibility is off the charts. If they even get close to the 8th seed Ball will be the runaway winner.

I think the Mavs have a better chance grabbing the 8th seed.

Cal827
10-19-2017, 12:21 AM
I'm going to say Tatum. Boston is seriously lacking depth, and it just got worse with Hayward being out for at least most of the season. If the Celtics are able to stay around the top 4 or 5 of the East (around 50 win range), then a lot of that will be attributed to his contributions (Especially if he develops his defensive game, since that's what that team would need).

I feel that Fultz and Simmons will take away from each other.

I can see Ball doing well, but I can also see the Lakers ending up near the bottom of the West again, and if that happens, I can see him being passed on (well that and to piss off Lavar Ball :laugh2: )

If it's someone other than Tatum or Ball, I'll be shocked.

JasonJohnHorn
10-19-2017, 10:19 PM
I really don't think you should win rookie of the year if you are injured your first year and play the second. They have an unfair advantage of already being into a NBA regiment for a whole year. Sorry but to me your out

This seems to be happening a lot more often than I ever remember it happening before. I watched ball for over 30 years and it wasn't until Griffin... then Noel Nerlens, then Embiid. And Embiid again. And Simmons. Not once in over 20 years, and then 5 times in less than ten years.

TheDish87
10-20-2017, 09:43 AM
I doubt Griffin is the first player to contend for ROY after missing a season.

eDush
10-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Ball
Simmons

Tatum
DSJ

Fultz
JJ

Everyone elseBy leaving Fox off, it show you know little about real talent but big on hype. My Fox will win it and it was my Roy selection during SL but you will see who as the Buddy and Fox show will be the toast of the league like the Splash Bros has been... :nod:

eDush
10-20-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm going to say Tatum. Boston is seriously lacking depth, and it just got worse with Hayward being out for at least most of the season. If the Celtics are able to stay around the top 4 or 5 of the East (around 50 win range), then a lot of that will be attributed to his contributions (Especially if he develops his defensive game, since that's what that team would need).

I feel that Fultz and Simmons will take away from each other.

I can see Ball doing well, but I can also see the Lakers ending up near the bottom of the West again, and if that happens, I can see him being passed on (well that and to piss off Lavar Ball :laugh2: )

If it's someone other than Tatum or Ball, I'll be shocked.I only think Ball has a shot cause the offense will run thru him which mean any improvement from last season will get him the votes but my Fox will walk all over him this season just like he dropped 39 points on him in college :laugh:
:ballspinning::cheer:

TheDish87
10-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Fox isnt going to contend for ROY coming off the bench

ewing
10-20-2017, 11:26 AM

They wonít be close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
10-20-2017, 11:27 AM
This seems to be happening a lot more often than I ever remember it happening before. I watched ball for over 30 years and it wasn't until Griffin... then Noel Nerlens, then Embiid. And Embiid again. And Simmons. Not once in over 20 years, and then 5 times in less than ten years.

Tanking. If your rookie roles an ankle you shut him down

mrblisterdundee
10-20-2017, 01:34 PM
With Hayward out, Tatum has a really good chance. As of this morning, he led all rookies in minutes, points and rebounds. He's tied with Fox for second in assists. Being on a playoff team instead of a tank also supports his case. If the Celtics outperform expectations, Tatum will be a big reason why.

eDush
10-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Fox isnt going to contend for ROY coming off the benchLike he be coming off the bench the entire season but it makes no difference as long as he makes an impact when on the court.

The rook who won it last season came off the bench in his first game and for most of the season as he only started 28 games but played in 75 but you probably have no clue who he is otherwise you wouldn't have made that comment :nod:

Fox over your DSJ and you know it :laugh:

TheDish87
10-20-2017, 02:51 PM
With Hayward out, Tatum has a really good chance. As of this morning, he led all rookies in minutes, points and rebounds. He's tied with Fox for second in assists. Being on a playoff team instead of a tank also supports his case. If the Celtics outperform expectations, Tatum will be a big reason why.

being on a playoff team doesnt do anything for ROY. Its 2 games in what he leads in doesnt matter seeing how he is on one of the few teams to have played multiple games so far.

Celticsfan2007
10-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Like he be coming off the bench the entire season but it makes no difference as long as he makes an impact when on the court.

The rook who won it last season came off the bench in his first game and for most of the season as he only started 28 games but played in 75 but you probably have no clue who he is otherwise you wouldn't have made that comment :nod:

Fox isn't winning ROY.

TheDish87
10-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Like he be coming off the bench the entire season but it makes no difference as long as he makes an impact when on the court.

lol i know Dario Saric won ROY coming off the bench last year.

eDush
10-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Fox isn't winning ROY.Why not? :shrug:

eDush
10-20-2017, 03:35 PM

lol i know Dario Saric won ROY coming off the bench last year.:facepalm:

FlashBolt
10-20-2017, 03:55 PM
I think it's Ben. He'll get the minutes, he has an advantage with his physical advantages, he can get 16 just attacking the basket every game. We might see a 16/8/6 season from him - which is more than enough.

Shammyguy3
10-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Homer vote - Lauri Markannen

mike44
10-20-2017, 04:50 PM
I think Simmons will take it with DSJ, tatum, jackson, fox and fultz in the running and john collins as a darkhorse candidate. Such a strong rookie class.

IKnowHoops
10-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Ball's a lot better than some people seem to realize (though not in a great situation), and that's going to pay dividends for him in ROY voting with so much of the spotlight in the league already on him. I've been unimpressed with Simmons in the early going, I think he'll make quite a few highlight plays between his dunks and passing, but Ball's the better talent and that will show itself throughout the year imo. Tatum obviously has a much bigger role to fill now with Hayward out, and he's fairly polished for a 1 and done, but I'm not expecting him to be anything too special.

DSJ is my dark horse who is going to have the most outstanding offensive highs of any player imo, but I'm thinking Ball takes this down despite having very little to showcase his vision/passing to.

Wow! Couldnít disagree more with you thinking Ball is a better talent than Simmons. Whoa! Like I donít think itís close at all and I like Ball. We shall see but I expect Simmonís talent to show he is far and away the rookie of the year this year.

Eg714
10-21-2017, 05:26 PM
We'll see if ball can be more aggressive like he was in the suns game. He has a green light to take as many shots as he wants and he rebounds good for his position the assist will pick up.

GREATNESS ONE
10-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Easily going to be Lonzo Ball.

Heediot
10-22-2017, 10:29 AM
DeAron Fox looking good. He's making the most of his minutes. Too bad he is playing behind Hill (highest paid on the team) and Hield (another promising youngster).

tredigs
10-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Wow! Couldnít disagree more with you thinking Ball is a better talent than Simmons. Whoa! Like I donít think itís close at all and I like Ball. We shall see but I expect Simmonís talent to show he is far and away the rookie of the year this year.

Simmons is more athletic (a lot more athletic), but I don't think he is as good as ball. Even in his #1 attribute - playmaking - Ball has him edged imo. He does have a way more competent cast for playmaking around him though and that will help. Its just that he has literally no shot right now, and teams will begin to exploit that. Ball can drain 3's and keep teams honest, which tightens the difference in athleticism. Both should succeed.

Tg11
10-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Tatum is my pick but honestly it will be De'Aaron Fox

eDush
10-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Tatum is my pick but honestly it will be De'Aaron FoxI love your opinion :hi5:

IKnowHoops
11-08-2017, 01:14 AM
Big Ben pretty easily so far...?

More-Than-Most
11-08-2017, 01:30 AM
Big Ben pretty easily so far...?

pretty much... He is fine shooting the 15 footer... the only thing ball has is a 3 point shot and its still pretty bad... Simmons is better at every single thing else by a ton.

ISIAH_THOMAS
11-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Ben

Tatum

Kuzma

In that order

TheDish87
11-08-2017, 09:51 AM
The gap form Simmons to Tatum is bigger than that

homie564
11-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Probably.. but to be fair Tatum has been amazing while playing a huge role on the team with the best record in the nba

hugepatsfan
11-08-2017, 10:12 AM

This is such a petty comment :laugh2:

TheDish87
11-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Probably.. but to be fair Tatum has been amazing while playing a huge role on the team with the best record in the nba

no argument from me. i love Tatum, i believed he was a #1 pick talent but just preferred Fultz for the Sixers, they were both in the top tier for me.

TheDish87
11-08-2017, 10:19 AM
This is such a petty comment :laugh2:

if you wanna view it that way, sure. but its accurate.

hugepatsfan
11-08-2017, 10:22 AM
if you wanna view it that way, sure. but its accurate.

He didn't imply the size of any gap (giggity). He listed 3 names, in order, with a space between each. For you to be like "OMG you should put an extra space there" is the definition of petty lmao

TheDish87
11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
He didn't imply the size of any gap (giggity). He listed 3 names, in order, with a space between each. For you to be like "OMG you should put an extra space there" is the definition of petty lmao

i didnt respond like you are implying and typically when someone uses spaces in rankings like that its to illustrate a gap.

Kyben36
11-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Lonzo or Simmons to me.

But Simmons averaging 17 10 and 8 right now seems obvious

TheDish87
11-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Ball isnt even the best rookie on his own team let alone a top 5 in the class so far lol. As a Bulls fan im shocked you didnt mention Markkanen

Green_Monster
11-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Lonzo or Simmons to me.

But Simmons averaging 17 10 and 8 right now seems obvious

Lonzo isnít even shooting 30%...

smith&wesson
11-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Yeah I'd take Kuzma > Ball

GREATNESS ONE
11-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Yeah I'd take Kuzma > Ball

https://youtu.be/1EixaJILhSs

Glad we got both!

PropheticGeius
11-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Tatum is the ROY But Simmons might get it because of the agenda of ESPN etc.

hugepatsfan
11-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Tatum is the ROY But Simmons might get it because of the agenda of ESPN etc.

Simmons is clearly the better player so far IMO. Guy looks special. Not that Tatum doesn't but Simmons looks special-er.

Switch
11-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Kuzma should be in the mix. Lonzo is a long shot. I think Simmons eventually wins it.

Lil Rhody
11-08-2017, 06:55 PM
True rookie Tatum
Rookie whoís had a whole year of nba work/eat/study Simmons

I really think itís unfair to be a two year pro with an nba training schedule and win it but what do I know

PropheticGeius
11-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Simmons is clearly the better player so far IMO. Guy looks special. Not that Tatum doesn't but Simmons looks special-er.

As usual,Ö Typical PSD user and NBA fan aboveÖ

Simmons is not clearly better. Not even close.

Tatum is a beast on the defensive end. Tatum is putting up numbers while not even being factored into the offensive plan.

Simmons, on the other hand, is playing on a team that is built around him and him playing 36 minutes a game.

Itís all about efficiency and defense when it comes to evaluating a player.

Iím not worried though, I think Tatum is so much better than Simmons that it will be obvious by the end of the year

warfelg
11-08-2017, 07:40 PM
You say the minutes thing like Tatum isnít playing only 3 minutes less.

Green_Monster
11-08-2017, 08:09 PM
You say the minutes thing like Tatum isnít playing only 3 minutes less.

Itís more about usage. Simmons is getting six more shots a game and handling the ball more. Not too surprising his counting stats are better.

With that said, heís in the lead right now.

Rain City
11-08-2017, 08:09 PM
As usual,Ö Typical PSD user and NBA fan aboveÖ

Simmons is not clearly better. Not even close.

Tatum is a beast on the defensive end. Tatum is putting up numbers while not even being factored into the offensive plan.

Simmons, on the other hand, is playing on a team that is built around him and him playing 36 minutes a game.

Itís all about efficiency and defense when it comes to evaluating a player.

Iím not worried though, I think Tatum is so much better than Simmons that it will be obvious by the end of the year

typical dumb post from arrogant sports fan.

if you are going to generalize the posters on this site as less than, why do you come here to post?

anyways, i think the convo will turn into simmons have the best rookie campaign since when? i am very impressed w/ tatum too. prolly a future all star. but simmons is on a different level this year and future projection. simmons is absolutely sensational.

cmellofan15
11-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Itís more about usage. Simmons is getting six more shots a game and handling the ball more. Not too surprising his counting stats are better.

Ben Simmons is tasked with running an offense while Tatum got drafted to the best regular season team in the East. How does that factor in?

CityofTreez
11-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Ben
Tatum
Maark

Green_Monster
11-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Ben Simmons is tasked with running an offense while Tatum got drafted to the best regular season team in the East. How does that factor in?

It fits in with Simmons having higher counting stats, like I just said.

warfelg
11-08-2017, 08:56 PM

And a 1A/1B option vs 3/4 option. Of course Ben isnít going to be efficient. But how do you sleep on 18/10/8?

Similar thing to what I said with Saric/Brogdon. Of course Brogdon was more efficient. He didnít spend most the year and his time on the court as the focal point.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Simmons.

cmellofan15
11-09-2017, 11:26 PM
It fits in with Simmons having higher counting stats, like I just said.

and him being the clearly superior player

Giannis94
11-10-2017, 12:42 AM
And a 1A/1B option vs 3/4 option. Of course Ben isnít going to be efficient. But how do you sleep on 18/10/8?

Similar thing to what I said with Saric/Brogdon. Of course Brogdon was more efficient. He didnít spend most the year and his time on the court as the focal point.

Lord forbid the beat player wins the award. Shame shame on him.

More-Than-Most
11-10-2017, 01:01 AM

See its the 1 way thinking that makes me laugh... Simmons handles the ball more and his counting stats are better... VERY TRUE.... You know what else is true? The opposition cant double team or make tatum the focal point like they have been Ben because your team has Kyrie/Horford/etc/etc/etc... On top of this Ben has to actually defend where is your team defense which I thought would be much worse than it is covers up for tatum big time. Tatum will be a damn good player but if you are going to look at Ben Handling the ball as a Negative or the so called counting stats or slightly more shots then you need to look at the teams and which guy gets doubled and becomes the focal point going in.

Meaning Ben does more with less help while the team comes in focusing on just him and Embiid. Tatum is like 4th at best after Horford/Brown/Kyrie that teams care about going in or plan for.

More-Than-Most
11-10-2017, 01:07 AM
That argument is why Gia to me is already a top 5 player... Everybody goes in stopping this dude and saying ****ing everyone else and he bends them over... Its called logic.

homie564
11-10-2017, 10:14 AM
See its the 1 way thinking that makes me laugh... Simmons handles the ball more and his counting stats are better... VERY TRUE.... You know what else is true? The opposition cant double team or make tatum the focal point like they have been Ben because your team has Kyrie/Horford/etc/etc/etc... On top of this Ben has to actually defend where is your team defense which I thought would be much worse than it is covers up for tatum big time. Tatum will be a damn good player but if you are going to look at Ben Handling the ball as a Negative or the so called counting stats or slightly more shots then you need to look at the teams and which guy gets doubled and becomes the focal point going in.

Meaning Ben does more with less help while the team comes in focusing on just him and Embiid. Tatum is like 4th at best after Horford/Brown/Kyrie that teams care about going in or plan for.

Tatum isnt really being covered up on d though, heís been really good defensively. Itís really no question itís Ben right now but Tatum has been a huge addition so far on both ends

eDush
11-10-2017, 10:21 AM
I am sticking with Fox as my original selection for Roy cause this guy is clutch! With the Buddy and Fox show in the 2nd unit, it is currently the best bench in the entire league imho!!! I love the Boggy Bombs and Justin Jackson is out playing the much praised Josh Jackson during the draft.
:cheer:

eDush
11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
That argument is why Gia to me is already a top 5 player... Everybody goes in stopping this dude and saying ****ing everyone else and he bends them over... Its called logic.I question your logic sometimes but you're spot on here. Anyways, Embiid was choking badly in the end of that game last night just tossing it up hoping it goes in it looks like (btw a game I failed to DVR and only saw the highlights just now) while Fox is one of the best stop and pop clutch shooting rookies this season.
https://youtu.be/Lyvg1N8qD-I

However, I like Simmons a lot and is now my 2nd choice to win Roy over Ball, who will get consideration as the Lakers offense is running off him but Simmons game is looking so sweet
:layup:

Green_Monster
11-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Yeah... all I said is itís no surprise Simmons counting stats are better. I also said heís in the lead.

Forever35
11-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Early on it's Simmons... Even if he played last season he would probably be close to doing the same thing... Kids a specimen...

Philly's winning and he's averaging 17-9-8... If Philly gets into the playoffs and Simmons keeps it up hands down he's the ROY...

warfelg
11-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Early on it's Simmons... Even if he played last season he would probably be close to doing the same thing... Kids a specimen...

Philly's winning and he's averaging 17-9-8... If Philly gets into the playoffs and Simmons keeps it up hands down he's the ROY...

At this point I really am interested if he can notch at least 1 of everything a game in end of season averages.

Right now he's 17.8 points, 9.4 boards, 7.8 assists, 1.7 steals, 0.8 blocks.

Storch
11-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Simmons and it's not even close!

eDush
11-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Simmons and it's not even close!Maybe you missed yesterday's game where Fox stop and pop for game winning shot, nothing but net. Simmons is ahead now but for long...

One on one, Fox would eat him alive! :nod:

hugepatsfan
11-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Not that I don't agree SImmons is easily superior as a player, but I don't think the bolded is fair to Tatum. I don't think he's being covered for on the defensive end. I think he's playing legitimately great on that end. I wouldn't say they've been hiding him on weak matchups or changing the scheme to account for him. They've been doing that for Kyrie but not Tatum.