PDA

View Full Version : Spurs finalize extension with Lamarcus Aldridge

kobe4thewinbang
10-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Source: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/10/spurs-lamarcus-aldridge-agree-to-extension.html

4:11pm: Charania clarifies in his full report on the trade that Aldridge’s extension will actually add just two years to his current deal, with the 2018/19 player option representing the third year. In total, Aldridge will be under contract for four years, with a partial guarantee in year four.

3:26pm: The Spurs have reached an agreement with big man LaMarcus Aldridge on a contract extension, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (via Twitter). Wojnarowski first reported earlier today that the two sides were engaged in discussions on a possible extension.

Aldridge’s new contract is a three-year extension worth $72.3MM, according to Shams Charania of The Vertical (Twitter link). Wojnarowski adds (via Twitter) that the third and final year is only partially guaranteed. The 32-year-old exercised his 2018/19 player option as part of the agreement, per Wojnarowski (via Twitter), so the new deal will begin in 2019/20 and will lock him up for five years in total.

Aldridge, who initially joined the Spurs as a free agent in the summer of 2015, saw his production drop off a little last season. His 17.3 PPG, 7.3 RPG, and .477 FG% were all below his career averages, while his 18.6 PER was his lowest mark since 2009/10.

The dip in Aldridge’s performance makes the timing of the contract extension somewhat surprising. Wojnarowski noted in his piece earlier today that the relationship between Aldridge and the Spurs has been rocky over the last two years — both sides have been unhappy at times, and the team explored trade scenarios involving the former Blazer earlier this year.

However, according to Wojnarowski, Aldridge arrived at camp this year in better shape than usual, and has strengthened his relationship with Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich.

With Aldridge’s player option for 2018/19 now locked in, the Spurs have approximately $78.4MM in guaranteed money on their cap for next season. With the NBA salary cap projected to increase slightly to $101MM, the Spurs could have some flexibility. But their estimated team salary doesn’t include player options for Danny Green, Rudy Gay, and Joffrey Lauvergne, or possible new deals for free-agents-to-be like Tony Parker and Kyle Anderson.

Because Aldridge’s new contract exceeds the parameters of an extend-and-trade deal, he won’t be eligible to be traded for six months after signing his extension, meaning he won’t be the subject of trade rumors at this season’s deadline.Feel free to add to that 'Spurs - What is Pop doing?' thread, but a surprising move here if you ask me. Basically means they won't trade him. I mean, he's been okay I guess in pre-season. Odd to add more years on his contract which makes a trade less appealing, I think, to other teams.

warfelg
10-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Wasn't he supposed to get traded? Strange.

Jeffy25
10-16-2017, 06:02 PM
I thought he wanted out?

IndyRealist
10-16-2017, 06:08 PM
It's odd but I don't think it means they won't trade him. There's a kind of backwards logic that a high contract player has more trade value locked into a longer contract. And if they don't move him this year, that partially guaranteed 3rd year practically guarantees he's traded or cut after next year.

LanceUpperCut
10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Never expected that to happen.

Scoots
10-16-2017, 07:42 PM
It's odd but I don't think it means they won't trade him. There's a kind of backwards logic that a high contract player has more trade value locked into a longer contract. And if they don't move him this year, that partially guaranteed 3rd year practically guarantees he's traded or cut after next year.

The partial guarantee is in the 4th year of his current deal ... essentially.

A little strange, but if Pop can get him to buy in maybe it works out in their favor. Spurs have made some odd moves this off-season for sure.

mike_noodles
10-16-2017, 08:48 PM
I thought he didn't like being there?

5ass
10-16-2017, 10:46 PM
so he basically picked up his PO for next year and added 2 years with a partially guaranteed 3rd year. He'll be a 36 year old large expiring contract (about 27 mill) in 4 years.

I dont like it. Aldridge isnt worth 27 mill/yr right now and he's already 32 years old. He'll have a couple of good seasons and by the time this contract extension kicks in, he'll probably be in decline.

flea
10-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Doesn't surprise me, I figured when rubber hit road he'd realize he's in as good of a situation as a declining big man can be. And I knew the Spurs wanted to keep him because he's still a top 5-7 big man that lets them do a lot of different things. Spurs are easily better with him than without and since Leonard is about to enter his prime they need to think about being as good as possible every year.

He's kind of got the same problem as Z-Bo has offensively. Both are used to offense running through them and have had to learn how to play a more all-around big man game. And both, maybe by virtue of where they like to operate or their finesse games, are really slow in their decisionmaking. Better guard play would help.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Seems like a decent deal on both sides.

eDush
10-17-2017, 03:19 AM
Seems like a decent deal on both sides.Yet Duncan was willing to sign for the vet minimum so the team can sign big talents to compete which is the Spurs way of winning! :nod:

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Seems like that closed door meeting with Pops worked wonders. Well and cash is king.

TheDish87
10-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Yet Duncan was willing to sign for the vet minimum so the team can sign big talents to compete which is the Spurs way of winning! :nod:

how is this even remotely similar given FA is over?

hugepatsfan
10-17-2017, 10:34 AM
If someone wiped out any memory of past team success and just evaluated the moves made independent of that, people would be HAMMERING SA for their offseason. Keeping an old Gasol on multi-year deal? Signing Rudy Gay coming off major injury? Extending a guy who didn't seem to fit well? Obviously they get the benefit of the doubt but their moves are very, let's say... "interesting" on paper.

IndyRealist
10-17-2017, 10:37 AM
If I were the Spurs I'd move him at first opportunity.

kdspurman
10-17-2017, 12:09 PM
If someone wiped out any memory of past team success and just evaluated the moves made independent of that, people would be HAMMERING SA for their offseason. Keeping an old Gasol on multi-year deal? Signing Rudy Gay coming off major injury? Extending a guy who didn't seem to fit well? Obviously they get the benefit of the doubt but their moves are very, let's say... "interesting" on paper.

Hammering why tho?

Gasol deal I don't like, but dude did opt out to allow us to sign other FA's if the opportunity presented itself. So in that regard, it's respectable.

Gay is cheap and could turn out to be a steal. Why not take the risk? And LMA and Pop had a discussion, LMA finally decided to be open about his concerns. He came into camp in shape this season for a change(hadn't been the case the last couple years), and with a better mindset. It's basically a fresh start.

I think they'll be right there again this year, and they have some0 younger guys who can really have an impact a la Jonathan Simmons last season.

Outside of Pau, I don't really get why they'd be hammered. Not everyone can have home runs in the off-season in terms of big name signings

AllBall
10-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Wasn't he supposed to get traded? Strange.

This contract looks very tradeable.

hugepatsfan
10-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Hammering why tho?

Gasol deal I don't like, but dude did opt out to allow us to sign other FA's if the opportunity presented itself. So in that regard, it's respectable.

Gay is cheap and could turn out to be a steal. Why not take the risk? And LMA and Pop had a discussion, LMA finally decided to be open about his concerns. He came into camp in shape this season for a change(hadn't been the case the last couple years), and with a better mindset. It's basically a fresh start.

I think they'll be right there again this year, and they have some0 younger guys who can really have an impact a la Jonathan Simmons last season.

Outside of Pau, I don't really get why they'd be hammered. Not everyone can have home runs in the off-season in terms of big name signings

They gave Pau a guaranteed $38.7M over his age 37 and 38 seasons maybe paying another $9.3M to keep him a 3rd year instead of letting him go. This coming after a year where in their series vs. GS, the team that the West runs through, they decided to play him under 20 minutes/game.

Rudy Gay is someone who has consistently made teams worse. Now, it is a modest salary and probably a decent risk for this upcoming year. But coming off of a serious injury and not being a championship type of player to begin with based on history there's also real flop potential. Which is fine but by giving him that second year player option, if things do open themselves up to the chance that they're stuck paying him $8M next year too when he wouldn't be worth it.

LMA reportedly wanted out and has struggled to play to his potential to the point they explored moving him... and instead they extended him.

All of these moves are questionable on their own. In aggregation, they took a team that had tremendous flexibility to build around Leonard. Instead they potentially locked themselves into an older, underwhelming group of talent compared to the rest of the West on paper. In addition they lost contributors in Simmons and Dedmon. Neither were special or irreplaceable but they brought value that will need to be replaced.

It may well work out for them but if any team other than SA had this offseason people would say they're big losers. Which isn't always accurate of course but it's definitely what people would be saying about another team.

kdspurman
10-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Seems like a decent deal on both sides.

Definitely not bad. About 2 mil more a year than Ibaka & 6 mil less than Milsap. He's still a good player, just played below expectations. Now's his time to turn it around

mightybosstone
10-17-2017, 01:17 PM
I don't like this move on paper. But I'm past the point where I question the Spurs and Pop for any decisions they make on or off the court. It legitimately concerns me how much I'm seeing them get underrated in preseason discussions among the best teams in the league and how many times I've heard conversations about their possible decline this year.

If the Spurs have taught me anything during the Pop era, it's that they seem to perform best right when you've counted them out and forgotten about them. I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if they turned around and quietly won another 60-62 games this season.

(If they do finally drop off, though, I'm throwing a party on PSD, and the drinks are on me! ;))

kdspurman
10-17-2017, 01:20 PM
They gave Pau a guaranteed $38.7M over his age 37 and 38 seasons maybe paying another $9.3M to keep him a 3rd year instead of letting him go. This coming after a year where in their series vs. GS, the team that the West runs through, they decided to play him under 20 minutes/game.

I agree about Pau. I think he can be useful sometimes, but against GS/Houstons of the world, not so much. Him becoming a legit 3 point threat has helped make him more useful, and he's still a fine passer. But defensively, he can't move and thus is useless against the big guns. Which is fine, SA is much better playing smaller

Rudy Gay is someone who has consistently made teams worse. Now, it is a modest salary and probably a decent risk for this upcoming year. But coming off of a serious injury and not being a championship type of player to begin with based on history there's also real flop potential. Which is fine but by giving him that second year player option, if things do open themselves up to the chance that they're stuck paying him $8M next year too when he wouldn't be worth it.

Yea I tend to not factor in what guys do in other environments honestly. Do you remember how Boris Diaw looked when he got cut by the then worst team Bobcats, and how different he looked in SA? I know of several guys who have looked bad or had bad reps, but got to a winning/stable environment, and looked completely different. And fwiw in the pre-season, Gay is playing within the system and definitely showing how he can be helpful. I see no reason why that would change.

LMA reportedly wanted out and has struggled to play to his potential to the point they explored moving him... and instead they extended him.

Yea, it'll be wait and see with him. He claims to not have been happy with his role, and frankly didn't do himself any favors with how he performed at times. Him pretending to be happy wasn't a good look, so him and Pop having a heart to heart may prove to be see.

All of these moves are questionable on their own. In aggregation, they took a team that had tremendous flexibility to build around Leonard. Instead they potentially locked themselves into an older, underwhelming group of talent compared to the rest of the West on paper. In addition they lost contributors in Simmons and Dedmon. Neither were special or irreplaceable but they brought value that will need to be replaced.

There really weren't many moves to be made this summer after CP3 chose Houston. Rumor has it they tried to trade for PG13, but that didn't work out. That's how it goes sometimes. But I actually think this season they'll be better than last, tbh. They've got some young guys who have developed nicely, and could be quite impactful. Re: FA, they'll have some flexibility again in 2019. Could make trades still of course, and get lucky on the waiver wire, but we'll see.

It may well work out for them but if any team other than SA had this offseason people would say they're big losers. Which isn't always accurate of course but it's definitely what people would be saying about another team.

Idk, if any other team was in the WCF playing the way they were till their #1 player got injured, and they chose not to tear it down and come back with essentially the same team, with some tweaks (Gay > Simmons IMO) I don't see how that qualifies them as losers. Aside from the Pau deal which I don't like, but I get, I am not seeing it.

valade16
10-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Agreed. If it were any other franchise that made any of these moves they would get criticized for it.

DTownSportsFan
10-17-2017, 02:38 PM
I agree with the general feel here. This has not been the best off season for the Spurs yet it's very hard to be critical of a franchise who more times than not proves to be in the know.

flea
10-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Agreed. If it were any other franchise that made any of these moves they would get criticized for it.

Why? LMA is one of the better bigs in the game. He's better than DeAndre Jordan, at least, and does everyone remember what a disaster we thought it was when he left the Clips?

If the Spurs were rebuilding I could see criticizing them bringing back their 2 older bigs but they are a win-now team and both Gasol and LMA are versatile big men that can help a team win, even if they can't lead one themselves anymore. It's not like the Spurs looked at all out-matched in the brief period vs. the Warriors when Leonard was healthy.

TylerSL
10-17-2017, 06:50 PM
I think they tried to trade him in the off season but did not get a deal they liked. This kind of works out for both teams because the Spurs don't want to lose him for nothing and he doesn't want to go into the market with as little value as he has. I still believe the Spurs will trade him if the right deal presents itself they just haven't gotten an offer they love yet. By extending him now they are guaranteeing they don't lose him and leave Kawhi with no other star players, but this is doesn't mean they wouldn't trade him in the future if they got a deal they liked. At least that's my understanding of this situation.

TylerSL
10-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Hammering why tho?

The Spurs are going to be just fine. Dejounte Murray is the future starting PG for your organization and I believe Rudy Gay is going to be awesome in San Antonio. Gay is exactly what the Spurs needed, a wing player besides Kawhi who can score. I could see Gay averaging 18-20 a game this season and if LaMarcus Aldridge starts playing like he's capable of, which I believe he will, the Spurs will be the biggest threat to another Cavs/Warriors finals. Everything will all boil down Kawhi Leonard in the end, but that's the case with every franchise player. Spurs are as great as they have ever been IMO.

flea
10-17-2017, 07:06 PM
No way Gay scores that much. He'll be lucky to average 12 PPG, especially since he can't shoot. LMA will still be the 2nd leading scorer, and then Gasol I would guess though I'm sure Pop would like it to be a guard.

kdspurman
10-17-2017, 07:19 PM
No way Gay scores that much. He'll be lucky to average 12 PPG, especially since he can't shoot. LMA will still be the 2nd leading scorer, and then Gasol I would guess though I'm sure Pop would like it to be a guard.

I could see Gay in the 12-15PPG range honestly. Also don't forget about Chip Engelland either. He's worked wonders on guys 3 point shooting/techniques, and I see no reason why that won't be an emphasis for Gay this season. He only took 10 in the pre-season but he knocked down 5 of them. He'll have a pretty important role. I imagine Pop will want him to be that scorer off the bench

valade16
10-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Why? LMA is one of the better bigs in the game. He's better than DeAndre Jordan, at least, and does everyone remember what a disaster we thought it was when he left the Clips?

If the Spurs were rebuilding I could see criticizing them bringing back their 2 older bigs but they are a win-now team and both Gasol and LMA are versatile big men that can help a team win, even if they can't lead one themselves anymore. It's not like the Spurs looked at all out-matched in the brief period vs. the Warriors when Leonard was healthy.

He's one of the better bigs in the game but not nearly as productive as he was when they signed him. They are banking on him being more who he was when he first arrived rather than who they saw last year.

kdspurman
10-17-2017, 07:23 PM
The Spurs are going to be just fine. Dejounte Murray is the future starting PG for your organization and I believe Rudy Gay is going to be awesome in San Antonio. Gay is exactly what the Spurs needed, a wing player besides Kawhi who can score. I could see Gay averaging 18-20 a game this season and if LaMarcus Aldridge starts playing like he's capable of, which I believe he will, the Spurs will be the biggest threat to another Cavs/Warriors finals. Everything will all boil down Kawhi Leonard in the end, but that's the case with every franchise player. Spurs are as great as they have ever been IMO.

I agree , I think they'll be fine and have some young guys to look forward to. Murray/Bertans/Brandon Paul could be a surprise, etc...

Also Joffrey Lauvergne was a pleasant surprise in the pre-season, looked like Boris Diaw lite, which makes sense since TP recommended him and was a teammate on the French Team.

There are questions marks , but I think people are seriously underestimating these guys (again) I think Gay will be a big help too as the season comes along. Idk if he'll score as much as you said, but I think he'll play an important role if he can stay healthy

flea
10-17-2017, 07:33 PM
He's one of the better bigs in the game but not nearly as productive as he was when they signed him. They are banking on him being more who he was when he first arrived rather than who they saw last year.

I think they're just counting on what he is. If people criticize the Spurs for this move, or "would if it weren't Pop/Buford" or whatever, then what should they have done? Traded him for someone like Vucevic, or a Morris twin, or what? Spurs need bigs, and not just placeholders like Dedmon.

TylerSL
10-17-2017, 07:44 PM
I agree , I think they'll be fine and have some young guys to look forward to. Murray/Bertans/Brandon Paul could be a surprise, etc...

Also Joffrey Lauvergne was a pleasant surprise in the pre-season, looked like Boris Diaw lite, which makes sense since TP recommended him and was a teammate on the French Team.

There are questions marks , but I think people are seriously underestimating these guys (again) I think Gay will be a big help too as the season comes along. Idk if he'll score as much as you said, but I think he'll play an important role if he can stay healthy

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have thought Gay has been underrated for years. Injuries and bad teams have kept him under the radar his whole career.

R. Johnson#3
10-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have thought Gay has been underrated for years. Injuries and bad teams have kept him under the radar his whole career.

You know, there's a reason the teams he's on are bad.....

He left the Grizzlies, they got better. He left the Raptors, they got better with worse players. Rudy Gay is a black hole on offence but if there's any coach who can fix him, it's Pop.

mrblisterdundee
10-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Unless Aldridge switches to center and starts shooting a ton of threes, I don't see this working out well for the Spurs. He attempted about three threes a game during the preseason, so there's at least some hope he can make the Lopez and Gasol transition to the perimeter.

mrblisterdundee
10-18-2017, 01:06 PM
You know, there's a reason the teams he's on are bad.....

He left the Grizzlies, they got better. He left the Raptors, they got better with worse players. Rudy Gay is a black hole on offence but if there's any coach who can fix him, it's Pop.

And up until now, Gay was at least a second option. He never should have been higher than third.

kdspurman
10-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Unless Aldridge switches to center and starts shooting a ton of threes, I don't see this working out well for the Spurs. He attempted about three threes a game during the preseason, so there's at least some hope he can make the Lopez and Gasol transition to the perimeter.

It worked out well last year I'd say tho.. He did say he was going to take more, but I don't think him moving to the 5 will determine whether it works or not.