PDA

View Full Version : "Other" teams in the west

Scoots
10-15-2017, 10:52 AM
The Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, and Wolves have been talked about a lot and we now just need to wait and see how those teams mostly set lineups play out. What about the next tier of teams that are in more turmoil, that have more questions ... who is going to get those last 3 playoff spots. No need to use this thread to talk about the Lakers ... too much has been said already :)

Nuggets: Young talented core in search of a defense to match what looks like great offensive potential.

Clippers: Blake and DJ look for health and a guard who can score and try to get to the playoffs and the 2nd round again.

Jazz: Defense will be possibly even more stout. Can they score? Who's going to become the man?

Pelicans: This is a strange team. They are going to go big but they are not deep in bigs. Where will the shooting come from? Is Rondo really going to start? Will they trade to get better or blow it up?

Blazers: Is the hint of the Nurkic potential real? Will teams still just load up to stop the back court? A lot of money spent on a team with little room for growth.

Grizzlies: Conley, Gasol, and ... Green? Will the rest of the roster step up? Will Parsons and Wright be healthy? Will Conley and/or Gasol get traded?

Mavericks: What's up with Noel, is he a head case? My guess is they'll be better than predicted, with DSJ surprising people. But not good enough. Is this Dirk's last year? It feels like they are sort of stuck waiting for Dirk to be done.

Kings: I really like what they are doing which feels strange to say after so much ... insanity over the years. They have quietly built a really solid looking young core and brought in vets to lead them. They look like it could make a good squad to build together with Fox, Hield, Jackson, Labissiere, and Cauley-Stein with Giles, Bogdanovic, Mason, and Richardson. Will the vets get moved to a contender at the deadline?

Any opinions on any of the "other" teams in the west?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Didn't Rondo just have sports hernia surgery? Not sure how long it takes to recover from that.

valade16
10-15-2017, 01:46 PM
I think the Nuggets will be closer to the initial 5 teams you listed than the other teams. Adding Milsap was big and Jokic starting full time will boost their record.

I'm hopefully the Blazers can separate themselves from the rest, but I've been dissapointed by them before so I'm not holding my breath.

Scoots
10-15-2017, 02:09 PM
I think the Nuggets will be closer to the initial 5 teams you listed than the other teams. Adding Milsap was big and Jokic starting full time will boost their record.

I'm hopefully the Blazers can separate themselves from the rest, but I've been dissapointed by them before so I'm not holding my breath.

That's why I listed them in that order as I think that's how they will finish.

I like some of the Blazers young players but they are going to take some time to develop.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Can the Clippers stay healthy? Blake and Gallinari are a bit injury-prone I could see some injuries pile up. Then Clippers break it up trading Jordan first. Then Blake on draft night.

Scoots
10-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Can the Clippers stay healthy? Blake and Gallinari are a bit injury-prone I could see some injuries pile up. Then Clippers break it up trading Jordan first. Then Blake on draft night.

I wonder where DJs most likely landing spot would be ... Maybe the Mavs could trade a supposedly unhappy Noel for DJ?

mrblisterdundee
10-15-2017, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't put the Timberwolves in the same tier as the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs and Thunder.
The Timberwolves will get significantly better on defense, but who's spacing the floor? They were dead last in threes attempted and made last season, and they just traded their only guard who can shoot above league-average and added offensive clone of Wiggins. Teams can just crowd the interior on defense and dare them to shoot.

Chronz
10-15-2017, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't put the Timberwolves in the same tier as the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs and Thunder.
The Timberwolves will get significantly better on defense, but who's spacing the floor? They were dead last in threes attempted and made last season, and they just traded their only guard who can shoot above league-average and added offensive clone of Wiggins. Teams can just crowd the interior on defense and dare them to shoot.

Twolves would be a great 90s team when everyone was forced to space the floor regardless of skill

GREATNESS ONE
10-16-2017, 01:51 AM
Lakers getting the 8th spot! :D

Scoots
10-16-2017, 08:33 AM

To me I put them in that group because we've talked about them a lot and they are more likely to make the playoffs than the teams below them.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2017, 09:15 AM

The Nuggets are a mystery to me. Defensively, they might be pretty bad. Offensively, they should be top 3-4 in the league. If the defense is even butt reaming average, they could be a 45-50 win team..

Hawkeye15
10-16-2017, 09:16 AM

the Wolves and Nuggets should be on the same tier (5-6 out west). Until the Wolves improve their defense, and sustain it, they are not on the same level as the top 4 out west.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-16-2017, 10:57 AM
I wonder where DJs most likely landing spot would be ... Maybe the Mavs could trade a supposedly unhappy Noel for DJ?

Noel would have to agree on it. Since the QO is pretty much a no trade clause.

Scoots
10-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Noel would have to agree on it. Since the QO is pretty much a no trade clause.

Yeah, it would take some help.

hugepatsfan
10-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Tough for me to pretend to care about which of these teams get bounced in the first round in embarrassing fashion. I gues maybe DEN or POR could step up but I can't fake interest in them.

Scoots
10-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Tough for me to pretend to care about which of these teams get bounced in the first round in embarrassing fashion. I gues maybe DEN or POR could step up but I can't fake interest in them.

I like watching even bad teams if they are trying.

Blitzbolt
10-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Give the Nuggets offense to the Grizz or give the Grizz defense to the Nuggets and you have another elite team :]....

Honestly does it even matter ??All this second tier teams are in an awful position the 5th 6th 7th and 8th seat have no chance .

Just like MJ says we are all trash.

Scoots
10-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Give the Nuggets offense to the Grizz or give the Grizz defense to the Nuggets and you have another elite team :]....

Honestly does it even matter ??All this second tier teams are in an awful position the 5th 6th 7th and 8th seat have no chance .

Just like MJ says we are all trash.

Every team can't win it all, but every fan can hope for their team to improve and develop.

tp13baby
10-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Iíll bet either the 5 or 6 seed knocks off the 3 or 4.

And for Denver I disagree their defense is their biggest question mark. I actually expect them to improve to an average team. Millsap is miles better than Gallo. Rumor is Jameer Nelson is getting waived for Richard Jefferson. Nelson is the worst defender Iíve watched in a long time. The issue will Be Denverís bench in my opinion. Mudiay/ Beasley/Jefferson/Lyles/Plumlee

Barton got injured and couldnít put weight on his leg. That is a huge blow to our team.

Oefarmy2005
10-18-2017, 06:03 PM
I agree that are a few tiers out West.
Tier 1: GS - nobody is touching them
Tier 2: Houston,OKC - would at the very least make a series with the team above competitive
Tier 3: SA - Always overachieve because the coach is a GOAT
Tier 4: Minnesota, Denver - both teams, barring injury should make the playoffs
Tier 5: UTAH, LAC, Memphis, Portland, New Orleans - teams that will compete for the bottom 2-4 spots all season
Tier 6: Dallas, LAL, Sacramento, Phoenix - The only team that I think has a chance to over-perform from this group is LAL. They have the requisite talent, just not the requisite experience yet.

If I had to predict seeding today:
1. GS
2. Houston
3. OKC
4. SA
5. Denver
6. Minnesota
7. LAC
8. Utah

Aust
10-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Nuggets without a doubt get one of those spots. Kings aren't touching the postseason. Mavs fight for that 8th spot.

Blitzbolt
10-19-2017, 12:23 AM
I just don't understand people picking the nuggets and wolves over the blazers and Grizzlies ...

Nuggets have one the worst defenses in the NBA and the wolves as well .

JAZZNC
10-19-2017, 02:41 AM
I just don't understand people picking the nuggets and wolves over the blazers and Grizzlies ...

Nuggets have one if the worst defenses in the NBA and the wolves as well .

And both those teams lost their first game. Long, long season but the first showings kinda leave you with the same questions about both teams.