PDA

View Full Version : PSD NBA All-Time Player Power Rankings: #8

mrblisterdundee
10-14-2017, 03:06 AM
This will be the last update for a few days. Voting will last two days. I'm adding Karl Malone, who was ranked 16th by ESPN's all-time rankings (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank160204/all-nbarank-16-20), to the player pool.

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Lebron James
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. Magic Johnson

kdspurman
10-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Changed voting to public. Added previous votes

GREATNESS ONE
10-16-2017, 01:50 AM
Kobe Bryant

Hawkeye15
10-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Bird is going here? Little high, but ok

KnicksorBust
10-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Hakeem cannot go next. I am not sure if I should throw my weight behind Kobe or Russell but it cannot be Hakeem. He had an incredible 2 years but that doesn't outweigh the careers of both Kobe and Russell.

valade16
10-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Bird is going here? Little high, but ok

Eh, going right next to Magic seems poetic. Besides, not sure who is more deserving than Bird at this point if we're not valuing Russell's accomplishments.

Bird was clearly a better player than Kobe and he was better for longer than Hakeem and accomplished more.

To me it should have went Russell, Bird, Hakeem, Kobe.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Eh, going right next to Magic seems poetic. Besides, not sure who is more deserving than Bird at this point if we're not valuing Russell's accomplishments.

Bird was clearly a better player than Kobe and he was better for longer than Hakeem and accomplished more.

To me it should have went Russell, Bird, Hakeem, Kobe.

I usually go into tiers, and have no desire to argue among the tiers

Jordan
Wilt/Jabbar
LeBron (easily finishes in the above tier)
Shaq/Duncan/Magic
Hakeem/Kobe/Bird/Russell

so yeah, whatever.

valade16
10-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Jordan
Wilt/Jabbar
Shaq/Duncan/Magic
Hakeem/Kobe/Bird/Russell

so yeah, whatever.

What is the compelling argument for Magic above Bird? They are each as accomplished as the other and played about as long and about as well at their peak. The only reason I can see is Magic got 5 titles and Bird only got 3, but that's not very persuasive to me once you recognize Magic had a more stacked team than Bird and played in the far weaker Conference.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2017, 01:46 PM
What is the compelling argument for Magic above Bird? They are each as accomplished as the other and played about as long and about as well at their peak. The only reason I can see is Magic got 5 titles and Bird only got 3, but that's not very persuasive to me once you recognize Magic had a more stacked team than Bird and played in the far weaker Conference.

I think Magic automatically elevated your offense to elite. In reality, they are comparable, but I think Magic on your team was going to make you slightly better than Bird on your team, if you swapped them out. Magic's longevity is also a sliver longer, as Bird was dealing with that back early.

tredigs
10-16-2017, 01:50 PM
When they were both at their best I think Bird had Magic edged. He had one of the more dominant peaks in history during his MVP/titles barrage. I gotta agree with Valade that there is no way you can separate them into different tiers career wise. I can't think of two more connected legacies/impact.

Russell, again, should have gone above both.

KnicksorBust
10-16-2017, 02:15 PM
When they were both at their best I think Bird had Magic edged. He had one of the more dominant peaks in history during his MVP/titles barrage. I gotta agree with Valade that there is no way you can separate them into different tiers career wise. I can't think of two more connected legacies/impact.

Russell, again, should have gone above both.

Not sure if serious.

KnicksorBust
10-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Jordan
Wilt/Jabbar
Shaq/Duncan/Magic
Hakeem/Kobe/Bird/Russell

so yeah, whatever.

Wouldn't arguing within your own tier more challenging and fun for you?

KnicksorBust
10-16-2017, 02:17 PM

Who are you going next? I want to make sure I block Hakeem. ;)

tredigs
10-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Not sure if serious.

The only joke is if you think that statement is a joke. A top 5 defender (+shotblocker) and rebounder in history who would have ~10 Finals MVP's and DPOY awards had they existed. Yes, I think that is a top 5 player in history.

tredigs
10-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Worth noting that the much deeper bball knowledge pool on the bigger site does a comprehensive top 100 list that has heavy/in-depth discussion every 3 years (starting in 06 or 08 I think) and Russell has never gone below 4 (always 2-4). Our 5 vote rankings with a paragraph of discussion are cute though.

valade16
10-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Who are you going next? I want to make sure I block Hakeem. ;)

I'm going Bill Russell. Hakeem is my favorite player ever (well, him and Bird) but he shouldn't be ahead of Russell IMO.

basch152
10-17-2017, 07:11 AM
Not sure if serious.

some people actually believe dominiating severely inferior competition is worth anything.

id be surprised if Russell was am average player in todays nba.

KnicksorBust
10-17-2017, 11:20 AM
The only joke is if you think that statement is a joke. A top 5 defender (+shotblocker) and rebounder in history who would have ~10 Finals MVP's and DPOY awards had they existed. Yes, I think that is a top 5 player in history.

The reason why I wasn't sure is because there are people that think like this:

some people actually believe dominiating severely inferior competition is worth anything.

id be surprised if Russell was am average player in todays nba.

And I wasn't sure which camp you were in.

I'm going Bill Russell. Hakeem is my favorite player ever (well, him and Bird) but he shouldn't be ahead of Russell IMO.

Respect.

Sam Lytle
10-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Larry BIRD!

YAALREADYKNO
10-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Dream