PDA

View Full Version : Embiid Signs max extension

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 05:52 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/report-embiid-signs-5-year-extension-1.879796

5 years 148mill that could jump it to 178mill with health incentives.... I feel like I should just stop telling people things because I get called a moron when I say things and then when its right i get called a troll.... I said this would happen weeks ago and literally got laughed at and ridiculed.

Soooooooooooooo :bow:

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 05:53 PM
You guys better pray he stays healthy. Plays 30 games in three seasons and gets $30 million per year. Oh boy...

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 05:54 PM
You guys better pray he stays healthy. Plays 30 games in three seasons and gets $30 million per year. Oh boy...

already posted it... how does it feel now? who told you all along while you called me an idiot?

likemystylez
10-09-2017, 05:57 PM
this is insane....... I really throught id never see the eddy curry mistake again, but good lord this makes it a real possability. If we have another labor dispute- I dont want to hear Phi complaining about the Embiid signing

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Why not wait till the end of the season and check his progress? If he's injured, you get him for less. If he's not, you give him a slightly better offer.. You guys seriously better pray he's healthy. If I was a Sixers fan, I am not happy about this. He'll be an untrade-able if he is always injured.. good luck.

JAZZNC
10-09-2017, 05:59 PM
How does what feel? That your team signed a guy who's played 30 games to a Super max? Big whoop. We'll see how this ends up but I just don't see him playing more than 60 FULL games in a season ever so....I mean I guess the Sixers had to but that doesn't mean it's a great decision. If he never gets hurt again then it's a wonderful deal because he's a phenomenal talent but the odds of that happening are really really low.

lakerfan85
How many ****ing games has he actually played?

FlashBolt
already posted it... how does it feel now? who told you all along while you called me an idiot?

The only thing I am wrong about is how incompetent the Sixers franchise is. You guys are setting yourselves back for the future if you think this was a great move. You literally had more time to gauge where his health is at but instead, you offer him $30 million per year knowing he's only played 30 games in three seasons. You are so ecstatic about this but I am telling you, most people here think it is an absolute joke he got this.

jaydubb
10-09-2017, 06:00 PM
So this is like $4.8million per every game he's played in the nba so far... Wow!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

kobe4thewinbang
10-09-2017, 06:00 PM
You GET an extension! And YOU get an extension! AND you get an extension! We ALL getting extensions! #signmeup

............................................______ __........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:, ........
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
.................../.................................................. .........,}....
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:02 PM
How does what feel? That your team signed a guy who's played 30 games to a Super max? Big whoop. We'll see how this ends up but I just don't see him playing more than 60 FULL games in a season ever so....I mean I guess the Sixers had to but that doesn't mean it's a great decision. If he never gets hurt again then it's a wonderful deal because he's a phenomenal talent but the odds of that happening are really really low.

I said on another thread that the Sixers won't give him a max if he isn't healthy. I was partially wrong. I expected them to make an offer close to next year so they can at least see where Embiid's health is at. Turns out, they jumped the gun and offered it to him right now. I am not sure why MTM is so happy about this. I would be pissed as hell if OKC offered someone who played 30 games in a possible 246 games that much money in such a long-term contract.. Think about this: Embiid played only 12% of available games so far (on minutes restriction and no B2B's). In a five season sample, that's about 50 games. He will be paid $3 million per game... How is that a good deal?

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:04 PM
MTM is so happy and expected us to say, "WOW, amazing job! Greatest move of the free agency." WRONG. This was a terrible move by the Sixers. As much potential Embiid has, you don't offer this kind of money for a player who has shown he can't stay healthy enough to get you a return even close to what he will be paid at. Not to mention, if Simmons and Fultz turn to absolute studs and you're screwed by the salary cap, good luck getting rid of Embiid. This is like Portland offering Greg Oden a max contract after Greg got injured in his second season.. No one in the world outside of Sixers fans could possibly think this is a good move. I'm glad Embiid is off the market so now my OKC don't have to worry about making him any offers.

jaydubb
10-09-2017, 06:05 PM
I said this in the other thread, but it's about $4.8million per every game that he's played in his career so far.

That's gotta be by far the biggest extension in sports history based on total games played

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:07 PM
I said this in the other thread, but it's about $4.8million per every game that he's played in his career so far. That's gotta be by far the biggest extension in sports history based on total games played

Dude, think about this. As injury prone as Greg Oden is and was, he played 3x the amount of games Embiid did in that same three year span. I guess since Greg didn't have social media to spam TRUSTTHEPROCESS, no one cares. But wow, this is unbelievable. Speaks of the NBA environment today in which anyone who can breathe can pretty much get a max contract.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Sixers thought process: "Embiid played 30 games in three seasons. 30 games, $1 million per game he has played so far.. that's a good salary for him, right? Yes, but we will take out $400,000 per season just to give the impression that we didn't overpay."

Saddletramp
10-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Why wouldn't they wait until the end of the year and match any offers next offseason? He couldn't have gotten much more than that, right? And you're betting he's going to stay healthy even before the contract kicks in?

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Why wouldn't they wait until the end of the year and match any offers next offseason? He couldn't have gotten much more than that, right? And you're betting he's going to stay healthy even before the contract kicks in?

That's what I'm saying. Are they that incompetent? Like, what happened to a player having to PROVE they deserve a contract? I remember Curry took MUCH less because his health was at a risk to the team. What the hell changed the past few years? Like, seriously...?

warfelg
10-09-2017, 06:22 PM
https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/917514784316280832

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Except i told people all along... He showed the insane talent... like me the sixers whom have him checked by doctors daily dont consider him injury prone BECAUSE HIS FOOT HAS BEEN FINE SINCE THE INJURY... He had a freak injury that most nba players have last season... If he is healthy and has showed the insane talent you sign him because almost every other team that can sign him would.... On top of this the sixers have injury protections around the contract as a fall back... But yo I am an idiot for saying THIS ALL ALONG without any inside information.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:23 PM
The only thing I am wrong about is how incompetent the Sixers franchise is. You guys are setting yourselves back for the future if you think this was a great move. You literally had more time to gauge where his health is at but instead, you offer him $30 million per year knowing he's only played 30 games in three seasons. You are so ecstatic about this but I am telling you, most people here think it is an absolute joke he got this.

you were wrong... just end it there. Man up time and admit it. I had to deal with constantly being laughed at and called an idiot.

warfelg
10-09-2017, 06:23 PM
https://twitter.com/kyleneubeck/status/917506551862235137

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:25 PM
I said on another thread that the Sixers won't give him a max if he isn't healthy. I was partially wrong. I expected them to make an offer close to next year so they can at least see where Embiid's health is at. Turns out, they jumped the gun and offered it to him right now. I am not sure why MTM is so happy about this. I would be pissed as hell if OKC offered someone who played 30 games in a possible 246 games that much money in such a long-term contract.. Think about this: Embiid played only 12% of available games so far (on minutes restriction and no B2B's). In a five season sample, that's about 50 games. He will be paid $3 million per game... How is that a good deal?

I am happy about it because of all the reasons above... Players get injured... The dude is healthy... conley could go down tomorrow with a career ending injury etc... curry could next year... He is and has been healthy... He has the talent... If he has a monster season and is healthy he laughs at an offer or maybe feels slighted and walks down the line... He and simmons are the future... now we can move on and focus on playing.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:25 PM
https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/917514784316280832

100 percent figured it would be... basically they locked him down and if he gets injured we have an escape clause type thing where we are only on the hook for some of it.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:27 PM
you were wrong... just end it there. Man up time and admit it. I had to deal with constantly being laughed at and called an idiot.

I already said I was wrong. I couldn't believe a franchise could be this stupid. I also don't understand why you are so happy about being correct. If I were you, I would pray to any God I could that my team didn't make such an offer to a guy who literally has shown zero capability of being healthy. You keep talking about these "freak" injuries. I asked you on another thread, over or under 55 games for Embiid next season and you literally disappeared. I don't care if I'm wrong. What I do care about is what happens and quite frankly, what is happening with your franchise could possibly set you back all because of incompetence. What stopped you guys from offering and matching after this season?

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:29 PM
I already said I was wrong. I couldn't believe a franchise could be this stupid. I also don't understand why you are so happy about being correct. If I were you, I would pray to any God I could that my team didn't make such an offer to a guy who literally has shown zero capability of being healthy. You keep talking about these "freak" injuries. I asked you on another thread, over or under 55 games for Embiid next season and you literally disappeared. I don't care if I'm wrong. What I do care about is what happens and quite frankly, what is happening with your franchise could possibly set you back all because of incompetence. What stopped you guys from offering and matching after this season?

I have him between 50-60 games so probably. Again I gave you my reasoning and it was my reasoning all along and went down exactly how i knew it would.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:30 PM
I am happy about it because of all the reasons above... Players get injured... The dude is healthy... conley could go down tomorrow with a career ending injury etc... curry could next year... He is and has been healthy... He has the talent... If he has a monster season and is healthy he laughs at an offer or maybe feels slighted and walks down the line... He and simmons are the future... now we can move on and focus on playing.

Lmao, we'll see. You can repeat that he's been healthy all you want but we have to judge it by the games played and quite frankly, he has NOT been healthy. Will we be seeing him play B2B's next season? Past 30 minutes? I don't want to hear any excuses if he gets injured in the near future.. None of that is valid anymore. If you say he is healthy, and you know more Sixers-related stuff than I do, I'll take your word for it. But my view on it will lean towards him being injured again.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Lmao, we'll see. You can repeat that he's been healthy all you want but we have to judge it by the games played and quite frankly, he has NOT been healthy. Will we be seeing him play B2B's next season? Past 30 minutes? I don't want to hear any excuses if he gets injured in the near future.. None of that is valid anymore. If you say he is healthy, and you know more Sixers-related stuff than I do, I'll take your word for it. But my view on it will lean towards him being injured again.

as long as its not his foot **** happens... if he breaks a hand or fingers because he plays hard so be it. He could very well get injured like anyone else... HE IS HEALTHY... The sixers have protections around the contract and he has shown talent that nobody else has even if it is only 31 games. The talent is there... the size/skill is there... the question is health... if it was his foot last season I said all along i would be in the same boat as you... it wasnt... it hasnt been.

Vee-Rex
Don't like this deal. If I'm Philly, I wait until the end of the year and sign him based on how healthy he was. No other team would be able to offer as much money as Philly anyway.

You only make this kind of move if the player doesn't have durability issues.

warfelg
Don't like this deal. If I'm Philly, I wait until the end of the year and sign him based on how healthy he was. No other team would be able to offer as much money as Philly anyway.

You only make this kind of move if the player doesn't have durability issues.

If we waited it’s unlikely that we get the same protections for health that we got.

If he gets hurt we pay him less than Mozgov. If he’s healthy he can make up to $180 million.

That wouldn’t happen if he stays healthy this season.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:35 PM
I have him between 50-60 games so probably. Again I gave you my reasoning and it was my reasoning all along and went down exactly how i knew it would.

I'm not even a Sixers fan and I hoped you guys wouldn't offer him that contract just by the fact that I think too many NBA players are being grosly overpaid and don't deserve it. Chandler Parsons comes to mind. Look at what Bucks got for Giannis.. $100 million for FOUR years. Low risk move. This is a HIGH risk move by the Sixers. No ifs and buts about it. 50-60 games.. I will screenshot that and hold you to it.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:35 PM
yo i am ****ing pumped... now give cov that 16-18 mill plus a season we expected.

warfelg
10-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Wasn't his knee that one that got injured? As you know, your body compensates in other ways when you are lacking in a particular body. I damaged my elbow but still went to the gym and compensated a few exercises by using my back. I believe that is what happened to Embiid with his meniscus.. dude didn't want to land hard on his foot and so, he tried to land with force on his knee and it was an awkward landing. You guys talk about his foot but it's past that at this point. Idk what the protections are.. no one has truly confirmed what it is but we only know of some supermax he can make if he is healthy..

Yearly Feb 1st “Bynum Rule” protection is what it sounds like.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:37 PM
as long as its not his foot **** happens... if he breaks a hand or fingers because he plays hard so be it. He could very well get injured like anyone else... HE IS HEALTHY... The sixers have protections around the contract and he has shown talent that nobody else has even if it is only 31 games. The talent is there... the size/skill is there... the question is health... if it was his foot last season I said all along i would be in the same boat as you... it wasnt... it hasnt been.

Wasn't his knee that one that got injured? As you know, your body compensates in other ways when you are lacking in a particular body. I damaged my elbow but still went to the gym and compensated a few exercises by using my back. I believe that is what happened to Embiid with his meniscus.. dude didn't want to land hard on his foot and so, he tried to land with force on his knee and it was an awkward landing. You guys talk about his foot but it's past that at this point. Idk what the protections are.. no one has truly confirmed what it is but we only know of some supermax he can make if he is healthy..

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:38 PM
also you just tossed embiid a 100 million dollar reason to keep his **** together off the court and stay healthy and get even better. Meaning like war said if he gets hurt he loses a ton.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:39 PM
If we waited it’s unlikely that we get the same protections for health that we got.

If he gets hurt we pay him less than Mozgov. If he’s healthy he can make up to $180 million.

That wouldn’t happen if he stays healthy this season.

Do you have a valid source that he does get paid less than Mosgov if he isn't healthy? That seems to be an unconfirmed report.. I will wait for that because if it is true, it makes more sense. But if he's getting even 75% of that in guaranteed money, this is still an absolute joke. Remember when Curry took way less so he could prove he was healthy? What happened to that? Are NBA teams really that desperate for talent these days? Haha..

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Do you have a valid source that he does get paid less than Mosgov if he isn't healthy? That seems to be an unconfirmed report.. I will wait for that because if it is true, it makes more sense. But if he's getting even 75% of that in guaranteed money, this is still an absolute joke. Remember when Curry took way less so he could prove he was healthy? What happened to that? Are NBA teams really that desperate for talent these days? Haha..

yes lol... yes they are that desperate if we are being honest... as they should be... it goes back to the superteam stuff.

tp13baby
10-09-2017, 06:41 PM
They had to do this. If he is healthy he is worth it, but to even have a doubt about Joel going elsewhere would of crippled the franchise.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:42 PM
also you just tossed embiid a 100 million dollar reason to keep his **** together off the court and stay healthy and get even better. Meaning like war said if he gets hurt he loses a ton.

You can't control your injuries. If Embiid truly wanted to get a large contract, he would have stayed healthy the past few years. You act as if Embiid just has to stay off the weed and everything will be okay. Injuries are going to happen to anyone but some guys are just always going to be injured. Embiid is already 23. I can't get past his age and relatively lack of NBA experience. When a guy like Giannis is out there getting paid less, is younger, and a better player, I can't be too excited about a deal involving Embiid.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:44 PM
They had to do this. If he is healthy he is worth it, but to even have a doubt about Joel going elsewhere would of crippled the franchise.

No it wouldn't. You have Ben Simmons, Covington, Saric, and Fultz. All are good pieces to build around and play with. I'm not sure why some are saying "they had to." The Qualifying Offer is there for a reason. But this is all moot until we can get a better picture of what the protections are.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 06:46 PM
No it wouldn't. You have Ben Simmons, Covington, Saric, and Fultz. All are good pieces to build around and play with. I'm not sure why some are saying "they had to." The Qualifying Offer is there for a reason. But this is all moot until we can get a better picture of what the protections are.

didnt you just say in another thread embiid is all we have?

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
didnt you just say in another thread embiid is all we have?

"I think the problem is some of you guys are betting so much on Embiid that you guys ignore serious concerns regarding his health. He's literally the only reason people are high on the Sixers future."

This is what I said. That doesn't mean Simmons, Covington, Saric, and Fultz aren't good pieces to build around, though.

Lakers + Giants
10-09-2017, 06:58 PM
I legit can't stop laughing. So the people that called you out should feel bad? LMFAO. YOU should feel bad that he's getting that MUCH money when he hasn't proven he can stay healthy. He has a legit possibility of being a greg oden and being paid this much will **** you over so hard. I can honestly say I love it since im not a 76ers fan :laugh2:

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:04 PM
I legit can't stop laughing. So the people that called you out should feel bad? LMFAO. YOU should feel bad that he's getting that MUCH money when he hasn't proven he can stay healthy. He has a legit possibility of being a greg oden and being paid this much will **** you over so hard. I can honestly say I love it since im not a 76ers fan :laugh2:

except it isnt in the big picture of it all... Lets be real here... The only way the sixers have any shot of a title is if embiid is embiid over the next 3 years.... The lakers/sixers have no real shot at a title unless everything goes right for multiple seasons... this is the NBA we live in... If this were the mid 2000s when the lakers started to decline id agree its a dumb move because you really only needed a superstar then to contend... Now a superstar gets you eliminated in the first round of the west and 2nd round of the east... If this move fails we arent any worse off then not having embiid at all esp with the protections around said contract.

Lakers + Giants
10-09-2017, 07:12 PM
except it isnt in the big picture of it all... Lets be real here... The only way the sixers have any shot of a title is if embiid is embiid over the next 3 years.... The lakers/sixers have no real shot at a title unless everything goes right for multiple seasons... this is the NBA we live in... If this were the mid 2000s when the lakers started to decline id agree its a dumb move because you really only needed a superstar then to contend... Now a superstar gets you eliminated in the first round of the west and 2nd round of the east... If this move fails we arent any worse off then not having embiid at all esp with the protections around said contract.

oh really? What happens when Simmons and Fultz want their max too?

You're OK with your team making a potentially crippling move because you aren't a contender now. So basically as long as your team isn't the champion you want to keep making mistakes and want to continue being last after already doing it for half a decade and for not being a contender for almost 20 years. Makes sense.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:19 PM
oh really? What happens when Simmons and Fultz want their max too?

You're OK with your team making a potentially crippling move because you aren't a contender now. So basically as long as your team isn't the champion you want to keep making mistakes and want to continue being last after already doing it for half a decade and for not being a contender for almost 20 years. Makes sense.

20 years? more like 12 or so... also should one really speak about mistakes when you guys have been the same way? Kobe extension? Russell pick... Deng/Mosgov signings/Howard and Nash trades etc etc etc... You guys are making just as many mistakes as well so lets not throw out mistakes as an excuse and track record in the recent as a crutch... Again lets look at it logically... Try and relax and keep up for one second... Much like any other team that builds through the draft you need to hit on a superstar... the sixers have a superstar like talent that has not been seen in quite a while his downside has been health... We are in a league where outside of 4 teams nobody has a shot at a title for the next 3 years... So you sign the guy that gives you the best chance of putting you on the map and over the top because the downside is by the time any team has a shot embiids contract will already be almost up so even if he fails its really no harm no fail... and signing simmons and fultz? We have years before we need to worry about that... I am just using the logic of the bigger picture.

I will simplify it.

Signing Embiid who has best ever type talent means he either lives up to it or likely busts... If he lives up to it you are now an actual title contender much sooner... if he doesnt we have other potential pieces and picks to cover for it and by the time a sixers/lakers etc team actually has any shot will be 3 plus years from now when said contract will already be almost up.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
cant destroy my day... I am happier than a pig in ****

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Right now there is a report out that the guaranteed amount of 50 percent of the 148mill... The rest is protected. Still waiting to see if its true.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 07:39 PM
20 years? more like 12 or so... also should one really speak about mistakes when you guys have been the same way? Kobe extension? Russell pick... Deng/Mosgov signings/Howard and Nash trades etc etc etc... You guys are making just as many mistakes as well so lets not throw out mistakes as an excuse and track record in the recent as a crutch... Again lets look at it logically... Try and relax and keep up for one second... Much like any other team that builds through the draft you need to hit on a superstar... the sixers have a superstar like talent that has not been seen in quite a while his downside has been health... We are in a league where outside of 4 teams nobody has a shot at a title for the next 3 years... So you sign the guy that gives you the best chance of putting you on the map and over the top because the downside is by the time any team has a shot embiids contract will already be almost up so even if he fails its really no harm no fail... and signing simmons and fultz? We have years before we need to worry about that... I am just using the logic of the bigger picture.

I will simplify it.

Signing Embiid who has best ever type talent means he either lives up to it or likely busts... If he lives up to it you are now an actual title contender much sooner... if he doesnt we have other potential pieces and picks to cover for it and by the time a sixers/lakers etc team actually has any shot will be 3 plus years from now when said contract will already be almost up.

Best ever type talent? Lmao, stop it. You act like he's going to be Hakeem...

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Best ever type talent? Lmao, stop it. You act like he's going to be Hakeem...

ugh... his talent pool means he could be better because of his defensive talent :shrug:

Having the talent and actually doing it are 2 very different things but yes he has the talent to be a better defensive version of hakeem

31 games. 786 minutes. That’s all it took for Philadelphia 76ers’ fans and the rest of the NBA to realize Joel Embiid’s immense talent. Unfortunately, that’s all the time fans were given to enjoy the center’s dominance.

During his brief NBA career, Embiid has played in just 31 of 246 possible games. Yet in the three months spanning from November to February last season, Embiid put on a show, exhibiting the skills of a future superstar.

The Cameroon-native possesses a rare blend of size, strength and quickness. Pairing these attributes with elite rim protection and range out to the 3-point line spawns a potentially transcendent talent. Playing just 25 minutes a night last season, Embiid produced averages of 20.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. Expanding those statistics to a per-36 minutes basis yields unprecedented results.

Per-36 Minutes Table
Season FG% 3P% FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2016-17 .466 .367 .783 2.8 8.3 11.1 3.0 1.2 3.5 5.4 5.1 28.7
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com

Bleacher Report’s Dan Faverle highlighted the historical significance of Embiid’s numbers in an article this past January.

“Tim Duncan and David Robinson are the only rookies in league history to match Embiid’s scoring, rebound, assist and block averages,” Faverle wrote. “No player of any experience level has ever sustained his per-36 minute output.”

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:42 PM
you wanna hear from players opinions over the past year on his TALENT? Again he has the talent which you seem to not want to ever understand because he was injured.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 07:45 PM
ugh... his talent pool means he could be better because of his defensive talent :shrug:

Having the talent and actually doing it are 2 very different things but yes he has the talent to be a better defensive version of hakeem

31 games. 786 minutes. That’s all it took for Philadelphia 76ers’ fans and the rest of the NBA to realize Joel Embiid’s immense talent. Unfortunately, that’s all the time fans were given to enjoy the center’s dominance.

During his brief NBA career, Embiid has played in just 31 of 246 possible games. Yet in the three months spanning from November to February last season, Embiid put on a show, exhibiting the skills of a future superstar.

The Cameroon-native possesses a rare blend of size, strength and quickness. Pairing these attributes with elite rim protection and range out to the 3-point line spawns a potentially transcendent talent. Playing just 25 minutes a night last season, Embiid produced averages of 20.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. Expanding those statistics to a per-36 minutes basis yields unprecedented results.

Per-36 Minutes Table
Season FG% 3P% FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2016-17 .466 .367 .783 2.8 8.3 11.1 3.0 1.2 3.5 5.4 5.1 28.7
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com

Bleacher Report’s Dan Faverle highlighted the historical significance of Embiid’s numbers in an article this past January.

“Tim Duncan and David Robinson are the only rookies in league history to match Embiid’s scoring, rebound, assist and block averages,” Faverle wrote. “No player of any experience level has ever sustained his per-36 minute output.”

Best ever talent generally means reserved for like the top 20 of All-time. You can't use a Per36 stat in a scale of 30 games and try to label that as "GOAT talent." That's such a short sample size that it means nothing. There is evidence that Embiid has potential but no, he does not have GOAT talent. He's not even outproducing guys like KAT, AD, Giannis and those guys never had this "GOAT talent" label yet.. so let's hold the breaks until the guy actually plays enough to where we can make an opinion.

mightybosstone
10-09-2017, 07:45 PM
We'll either look back at this in a few years as an obvious decision that kept a budding superstar in Philly or an absolute ridiculous overpay that Philly had no business making and potentially hindered the progress of a talented young team. I just don't see much of a gray area here. You can't max out a guy who's played 30 games and not end up looking like either a genius or an idiot.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 07:47 PM
you wanna hear from players opinions over the past year on his TALENT? Again he has the talent which you seem to not want to ever understand because he was injured.

You wanna hear about how Lenny Cooke supposedly had more talent or comparable to that of LeBron James? I don't care what his perceived talent is. I care about results and his talents has not generated enough of any reaction to be labeled GOAT talent.. you just need to pump the breaks on the guy. You're making everyone hate him because you have unrealistic demands of a guy who no one really expects to be healthy for his career.

IndyRealist
10-09-2017, 07:49 PM
“Tim Duncan and David Robinson are the only rookies in league history to match Embiid’s scoring, rebound, assist and block averages,” Faverle wrote. “No player of any experience level has ever sustained his per-36 minute output.”[/B]

Shrug, he hasn't sustained that per 36 output either.

I really don't like this at all for Philly. Every CBA the owners fight to keep RFA, and then they do stuff like this. There is literally zero upside to doing a deal at this cost, as opposed to next summer.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Btw, does this mean that Philly doesn't trust Embiid all the way? If they have all these protections, wouldn't that mean they are not that confident he will be healthy throughout the years?

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Best ever talent generally means reserved for like the top 20 of All-time. You can't use a Per36 stat in a scale of 30 games and try to label that as "GOAT talent." That's such a short sample size that it means nothing. There is evidence that Embiid has potential but no, he does not have GOAT talent. He's not even outproducing guys like KAT, AD, Giannis and those guys never had this "GOAT talent" label yet.. so let's hold the breaks until the guy actually plays enough to where we can make an opinion.

Are you just trying to be dense? Lebron had GOAT like talent in highschool.. You do understand the difference with talent right???? I am thinking that is where you might be confused. Lebron before stepping foot on the court was the next coming of christ... The list could go on... TALENT is usually gauged without and before guys even perform... TALENT... He has the talent per just about every scout/player and coach that has watched him play. There is no holes in his game outside of his health... Kat has holes... His defense. Embiid is a 7foot2 center who can guard anyone and shoot from anywhere with insane instincts.... TALENT.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:54 PM
You wanna hear about how Lenny Cooke supposedly had more talent or comparable to that of LeBron James? I don't care what his perceived talent is. I care about results and his talents has not generated enough of any reaction to be labeled GOAT talent.. you just need to pump the breaks on the guy. You're making everyone hate him because you have unrealistic demands of a guy who no one really expects to be healthy for his career.

Yea thanks for helping me understand... You dont understand or care about talent... You just want results which is fine but you might want to stay out of talent conversations.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Btw, does this mean that Philly doesn't trust Embiid all the way? If they have all these protections, wouldn't that mean they are not that confident he will be healthy throughout the years?

Nope... They just arent ******** which is why they gave him the max because they had the benefit of the restrictions which is why signing him now is smarter than signing him months from now before he does have a healthy season and tells us he isnt allowing us protections. War already stated this but you are just ignoring things and seeing what you want to see.

warfelg
10-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Shrug, he hasn't sustained that per 36 output either.

I really don't like this at all for Philly. Every CBA the owners fight to keep RFA, and then they do stuff like this. There is literally zero upside to doing a deal at this cost, as opposed to next summer.

I pointed it out earlier:
If we waited and he was healthy there's no way that his agent lets him sign a contract like he signed. We have the right to waive him yearly with massive cap savings, the "bynum clause" in every season that expires Feb 1st, and he's got quite the few escalators based on health.

If he hits RFA after even playing 40+games his agent doesn't let this happen.

Lakers + Giants
10-09-2017, 08:10 PM

I will simplify it.

I'll simplify it for you. We were able to afford to make mistakes because we had the luxury of being heavy contenders for 10 out of 13 seasons. Our fans can't really ***** after that.

Your team on the other hand hasn't been relevant since 01. Not really much patience left... keep making mistakes and you'll be right back in NBA purgatory.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Are you just trying to be dense? Lebron had GOAT like talent in highschool.. You do understand the difference with talent right???? I am thinking that is where you might be confused. Lebron before stepping foot on the court was the next coming of christ... The list could go on... TALENT is usually gauged without and before guys even perform... TALENT... He has the talent per just about every scout/player and coach that has watched him play. There is no holes in his game outside of his health... Kat has holes... His defense. Embiid is a 7foot2 center who can guard anyone and shoot from anywhere with insane instincts.... TALENT.

Plenty of guys said Lenny was just as good as LeBron was in High School.. you have no idea what I'm referring to, do you? And you're saying Embiid>KAT talent? LMFAO, go to sleep. Why do you think GM's are out there saying they would take KAT over just about any player to build with right now and not Embiid? Holes? LMAO, Embiid has a huge hole.. it's called being INJURED.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Joel+Embiid&player_id1_select=Joel+Embiid&player_id1=embiijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Karl-Anthony+Towns&player_id2_select=Karl-Anthony+Towns&player_id2=townska01&idx=players

Hmmm... Towns is younger.. check. Towns doesn't miss games.. check.. Towns plays more than 30 minutes.. check.. But hey, Embiid is more talented because he plays 30 games in the EC....!

Yea thanks for helping me understand... You dont understand or care about talent... You just want results which is fine but you might want to stay out of talent conversations.

No, I said you can't judge a player with 30 games.. which you are trying to do. His *talent* has been underwhelming

Nope... They just arent ******** which is why they gave him the max because they had the benefit of the restrictions which is why signing him now is smarter than signing him months from now before he does have a healthy season and tells us he isnt allowing us protections. War already stated this but you are just ignoring things and seeing what you want to see.

No, you're contradicting yourself. It's obvious Sixers don't trust him enough so they had to complicate this contract with injury protections.. AKA, no one knows how healthy Embiid is.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 08:14 PM
I'll simplify it for you. We were able to afford to make mistakes because we had the luxury of being heavy contenders for 10 out of 13 seasons. Our fans can't really ***** after that.

Your team on the other hand hasn't been relevant since 01. Not really much patience left... keep making mistakes and you'll be right back in NBA purgatory.

They've been so invested in "The Process" that they won't let go at this point. I wonder what he will say the next time Embiid gets injured.. He's literally making everyone hate Embiid here because he just has so much nonsense to prop Embiid up.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 08:16 PM

so the teams only allowed to sign mosgod to a horrid contract is if you won 10-13 seasons 10 years ago?

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Plenty of guys said Lenny was just as good as LeBron was in High School.. you have no idea what I'm referring to, do you? And you're saying Embiid>KAT talent? LMFAO, go to sleep. Why do you think GM's are out there saying they would take KAT over just about any player to build with right now and not Embiid? Holes? LMAO, Embiid has a huge hole.. it's called being INJURED.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Joel+Embiid&player_id1_select=Joel+Embiid&player_id1=embiijo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Karl-Anthony+Towns&player_id2_select=Karl-Anthony+Towns&player_id2=townska01&idx=players

Hmmm... Towns is younger.. check. Towns doesn't miss games.. check.. Towns plays more than 30 minutes.. check.. But hey, Embiid is more talented because he plays 30 games in the EC....!

No, I said you can't judge a player with 30 games.. which you are trying to do. His *talent* has been underwhelming

No, you're contradicting yourself. It's obvious Sixers don't trust him enough so they had to complicate this contract with injury protections.. AKA, no one knows how healthy Embiid is.

but you can judge a players talent like lebron while in highschool like most did? Your arguments are filled with hate/holes and insanity lol... I wonder if you got this mad when your new team signed mosgov?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Lol. He's a RFA.

Lakers + Giants
10-09-2017, 08:21 PM
They've been so invested in "The Process" that they won't let go at this point. I wonder what he will say the next time Embiid gets injured.. He's literally making everyone hate Embiid here because he just has so much nonsense to prop Embiid up.

Like I said, it's hilarious seeing "my player isn't great but neither is yours", now this time it was "my team isn't relevant but neither is yours". LMAO, i know older laker fans are used to greatness year in and year out But this is the 2nd time ive seen my team be abolute ****. The 1st time being the shaqless lakers. I'm not trying to play that card, but I've been fortunate to see my team win it all 5x.

Meanwhile, 76ers fans have been waiting a long as time for their moment. This won't end well, and seeing a fan celebrate this ill advised move is hilarious. Especially from a fan base with no recent success, this has the potential to be disastrous to that franchise. **** it, at least i'll be enjoying it.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 08:24 PM
but you can judge a players talent like lebron while in highschool like most did? Your arguments are filled with hate/holes and insanity lol... I wonder if you got this mad when your new team signed mosgov?

What are you even talking about? You're backtracking on so many of your statements. No one can judge a player's talent from 30 NBA games in three years. You need to find a better way to figure that out. You keep saying I hate Embiid and probably get that confused with someone just legitimately criticizing an aspect that is completely valid. Embiid is an unproven NBA player. If you say otherwise, you are just a bandwagon fan. End of story. You act like we all hate Embiid because it's Philly against the World or something..

Lakers + Giants
10-09-2017, 08:24 PM
so the teams only allowed to sign mosgod to a horrid contract is if you won 10-13 seasons 10 years ago?

I mean we have more room for error. as opposed to a franchise that's been historically horrendous for half a decade, irrelevant since 2001 and hasn't won it all in your life time. So I wouldn't be tolerant of any more mistake, yet you're celebrating one :laugh2:

Are they still horrendous moves on our part? Absolutely. At least we went through some great moments to handle these ****** ones. Better than going through a ****** decade followed by another and another going on ANOTHER. :shrug:

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Like I said, it's hilarious seeing "my player isn't great but neither is yours", now this time it was "my team isn't relevant but neither is yours". LMAO, i know older laker fans are used to greatness year in and year out But this is the 2nd time ive seen my team be abolute ****. The 1st time being the shaqless lakers. I'm not trying to play that card, but I've been fortunate to see my team win it all 5x.

Meanwhile, 76ers fans have been waiting a long as time for their moment. This won't end well, and seeing a fan celebrate this ill advised move is hilarious. Especially from a fan base with no recent success, this has the potential to be disastrous to that franchise. **** it, at least i'll be enjoying it.

Embiid might not be a healthy NBA player but he is a damn great marketer. He's managed to convince everyone that his injuries are part of the process to him being great... I mean, here MTM is saying that he expects Embiid to play 50-60 games like that's a good thing.. any other guy and that's what we call injury prone. For Embiid, that's a miracle.

Lakers + Giants
10-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Embiid might not be a healthy NBA player but he is a damn great marketer. He's managed to convince everyone that his injuries are part of the process to him being great... I mean, here MTM is saying that he expects Embiid to play 50-60 games like that's a good thing.. any other guy and that's what we call injury prone. For Embiid, that's a miracle.

exactly, when wade was playing 60 games everyone was on his ***. 20 missed games and there was so much outrage. Wade was preserving himself for the playoffs. Here they're preserving Embiid for the future? Plays 30 games gets 150 mil. Then they're gonna preserve him for what? He's still gonna get PAID. And on top of it all, like was stated earlier, he wasn't going to be a FA he was going to be a RFA, huge difference.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 08:42 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?917624-Giannis-vs-Porzingis-vs-Towns-vs-Embiid-vs-AD/page5

Waiting for MTM to call me a hater.. over 9 months ago, I said I would take Embiid over Towns, Porzingis, and AD.. but I also said that he needs to be healthy in order for me to put him above those guys. This was before his season ending injury. If you read the thread, MTM, everyone is high on Embiid but they have serious concerns about his health.. which is a 100% valid objection to make. So no, no one here hates Embiid. We just hate how you pretend that he's going to be superman in the near future.

tredigs
10-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Sounds like there are a ton of health provisions in this deal - which makes the price much more bearable depending on what those are exactly.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 08:57 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?917624-Giannis-vs-Porzingis-vs-Towns-vs-Embiid-vs-AD/page5

Waiting for MTM to call me a hater.. over 9 months ago, I said I would take Embiid over Towns, Porzingis, and AD.. but I also said that he needs to be healthy in order for me to put him above those guys. This was before his season ending injury. If you read the thread, MTM, everyone is high on Embiid but they have serious concerns about his health.. which is a 100% valid objection to make. So no, no one here hates Embiid. We just hate how you pretend that he's going to be superman in the near future.

:confused:

I am just at a loss for words man... I really am... Its like you are one big contradiction and you cant even see it... That is literally what me/war and all the other pro embiid people have been saying for weeks... That is called UNDERSTANDING HIS TALENT.... Holy ****.

Not one of us said his injuries arent an issue... and we arent worried about his injury history... I just dont know what else to say to you lol.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Sounds like there are a ton of health provisions in this deal - which makes the price much more bearable depending on what those are exactly.

pretty much.

Jamiecballer
10-09-2017, 09:00 PM
yikes... huge gamble but i hope it pays off, i love watching this kid play. i've seen all 30 of his games.

More-Than-Most
10-09-2017, 09:00 PM
yikes... huge gamble but i hope it pays off, i love watching this kid play. i've seen all 30 of his games.

:laugh:

now that is some funny ****... Lol at least give the man the correct amount of games... 31.

IndyRealist
10-09-2017, 09:16 PM
I pointed it out earlier:
If we waited and he was healthy there's no way that his agent lets him sign a contract like he signed. We have the right to waive him yearly with massive cap savings, the "bynum clause" in every season that expires Feb 1st, and he's got quite the few escalators based on health.

If he hits RFA after even playing 40+games his agent doesn't let this happen.

You're making benefits out of detriments. Best case scenario, he's completely healthy and get all the incentives, which is essentially the max contract he could sign next summer. Worse case scenario, he gets reinjured and you're on the hook for lots of money. Or worst case scenario, he's playing but not the same player, and you're on the hook for lots of money.

This versus waiting one year and seeing how healthy he is and how well he plays this year. Again, he'd be a restricted free agent. In that instance, best case scenario is he's completely healthy and you max him out, which would be the same money. Worst case, he's injured and you cut him or bring him back to rehab on a very small contract hoping he'll eventually recover. In that worst case, no matter how you cut it, it would be less money than the contract he signed.

The ONLY situation I can see where this contract ends up being a good deal is if Embiid is league MVP for like 30 games and then gets a freak, season-ending injury totally unrelated to his previous injuries, thereby being good enough to justify a huge contract but missing enough games to miss ALL of his incentives, and likely being able to recover to form after yet another injury.

PAOboston
10-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Don't understand the rush to get him locked up right now. I would have let him play out the year. Lots of money for a guy who has only played 31 games in 3 seasons.

Scoots
10-09-2017, 09:35 PM

How did he qualify for a Super Max contract?

kobe4thewinbang
10-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Nerlens Noel has gotta be pissed. Dude couldn't even get a strong deal. And Embiid got this one.

:ouch:

Bostonjorge
10-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Simmons is already better than Embiid.

Cracka2HI!
10-09-2017, 10:04 PM
I said this in the other thread, but it's about $4.8million per every game that he's played in his career so far.

That's gotta be by far the biggest extension in sports history based on total games played

I pretty much came here to post this. It's not just basketball. This has to be the most a player has ever gotten per game played in the history of sports. I wouldn't doubt that this is the most anyone has ever been paid considering experience in one's craft in the history of employment. This would be like a 3rd grader who won the science contest getting hired to be a nuclear engineer.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 10:10 PM
:confused:

I am just at a loss for words man... I really am... Its like you are one big contradiction and you cant even see it... That is literally what me/war and all the other pro embiid people have been saying for weeks... That is called UNDERSTANDING HIS TALENT.... Holy ****.

Not one of us said his injuries arent an issue... and we arent worried about his injury history... I just dont know what else to say to you lol.

You've been so wrong. Through all of this, Giannis is the one who has the most potential. What has Embiid shown in terms of potential that he can play through a season? None. So how does he have the most potential? On a talent perspective, yes, he has enormous potential. But don't talk about the guy having all-time great talent when he's playing 30 games on limited minutes. That's not all-time great talent. It's a damn short sample size of a player who just has great talent. And you're talking contradiction? Find the contradiction.. Remember when you said you messaged a mod about me talking bad about the Sixers? Can you find the posts that you promised you will show me? Cause I can show YOU are the one contradicting yourself.. on the bolded above, you said you are not worried about his injury history. Funny, this is what you said months ago before he even got injured in his third season:

"Porz size and Embiids injury history are concerning."

For reference, page 1, post #4.
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?917624-Giannis-vs-Porzingis-vs-Towns-vs-Embiid-vs-AD

So which one is it? Are you worried or not worried? See, that's what you've been exposed about. I have no reason to dislike Embiid. I have said he is a damn great player but he is not healthy enough for me to care about. You have a reason to like Embiid and that is why your inconsistent and blatantly biased arguments are being exposed left and right. There is no other way to put it: Embiid's injury history is concerning and his talent means nothing if he only plays 12% of available games. Do you agree or disagree?

warfelg
10-09-2017, 10:26 PM
You're making benefits out of detriments. Best case scenario, he's completely healthy and get all the incentives, which is essentially the max contract he could sign next summer. Worse case scenario, he gets reinjured and you're on the hook for lots of money. Or worst case scenario, he's playing but not the same player, and you're on the hook for lots of money.

This versus waiting one year and seeing how healthy he is and how well he plays this year. Again, he'd be a restricted free agent. In that instance, best case scenario is he's completely healthy and you max him out, which would be the same money. Worst case, he's injured and you cut him or bring him back to rehab on a very small contract hoping he'll eventually recover. In that worst case, no matter how you cut it, it would be less money than the contract he signed.

The ONLY situation I can see where this contract ends up being a good deal is if Embiid is league MVP for like 30 games and then gets a freak, season-ending injury totally unrelated to his previous injuries, thereby being good enough to justify a huge contract but missing enough games to miss ALL of his incentives, and likely being able to recover to form after yet another injury.

Well let's just say, he plays healthy this year, signs a 4 year max in RFA with no health provisions that we're forced to match, and he reinjures himself next season.

How is that better?

warfelg
10-09-2017, 10:27 PM

Exactly.

FlashBolt
10-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Here's another beauty from you..

"the thing with this though... Gia is having a fantastic season but its only been 35 games.... He has had 3 seasons before where he wasnt anything to write home about and really just exploded... Embiid in his first season so far is close to GIA current season and has not had the luxury of growing year after year like GIA has... So GIA really doesnt have the track record neither... He was good last year but nowhere close to this. "

So you're judging Giannis by 35 games (even though he has since shown he could hold it for the entire season), but you're already convinced Embiid is all-time talent?

Valade responds back by saying that Giannis has actually been much better than Embiid and you said:

"yea i have no issues at all with people taking Gia... i just think if we are going to use track record against embiid we need to also see if gia is capable of being close to this for more than 35 games."

So are you going to admit you are wrong about all of this? You're judging Embiid positively on 30 games but won't give Giannis credit for 35 games?

Teeboy1487
10-09-2017, 11:39 PM
The tank keeps on rollin'.

Saddletramp
10-09-2017, 11:59 PM
If all of the injury provisions is true and his agent said they wouldn't sign anything in RFA like that then it makes sense. I wonder though, if he plays but he's not the same because, you know, after 31 games some players' production comes back down a bit (or sometimes guys don't go as hard after they sign on the dotted line), the deal will still be top heavy? I assume as long as he plays, he'll cash in at max worth even if his play/numbers slip. That would be hilarious.

lakers squad
10-10-2017, 12:08 AM
The tank keeps on rollin'.

Is that what this is? The beginning of a new 76ers tank a thon lol...seriously I think they should have waited, but at the sametime I can't fully judge the move until the full details of the contract are out there!

AllBall
10-10-2017, 12:18 AM
The Process. Trusted It Be.

R. Johnson#3
10-10-2017, 12:35 AM
When Embiid is on the floor he's one of the most talented young players in the game. Unfortunately he's not on the floor that much. This is a huge gamble for a team like Philly that has so much unproven talent. This could very well handcuff the franchise.

lamar2006
10-10-2017, 12:44 AM
over under 150 games played on his new contract? I say under. Gonna blow his kneed and miss 100+ games real soon.

LOb0
10-10-2017, 01:26 AM
Why the hell would you not just offer him like 80 million, if he turns that down he has to risk blowing out his knee and getting nothing. And if he stays healthy you can consider giving him the max later.

This is perhaps the dumbest signing I've ever seen.

GodsSon
10-10-2017, 01:45 AM
What a stupid move by BC.

Should have just opted for the RFA route, watched how the season played out and gone from there.

Laker Legend42
10-10-2017, 01:46 AM
Was this deserved? This is the difference between the good teams and the bad ones. I’m not saying don’t extend him. I just think they could have did a steph curry type deal. At least they have some protections in place in case he breaks down. Which is almost a guarantee.

KingPosey
10-10-2017, 02:04 AM
Except i told people all along... He showed the insane talent... like me the sixers whom have him checked by doctors daily dont consider him injury prone BECAUSE HIS FOOT HAS BEEN FINE SINCE THE INJURY... He had a freak injury that most nba players have last season... If he is healthy and has showed the insane talent you sign him because almost every other team that can sign him would.... On top of this the sixers have injury protections around the contract as a fall back... But yo I am an idiot for saying THIS ALL ALONG without any inside information.

MOST NBA players tear their meniscus lol?

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 03:38 AM
MOST NBA players tear their meniscus lol?

It wasnt that... It was barely anything... They just sat him because they are overly cautious.

"I feel very lucky," Embiid said. "When I went into that surgery, I went in thinking I was going to have a six-month recovery. That's what they told me: six months or more. I'm thinking, 'No, not again.'

"When they did the MRI [before the surgery], it looked like my meniscus was fully torn. But when they got it in there, they realized that wasn't the case. It really turned out to be nothing, just a small, little thing. So that's very good."

The surgery took place in Los Angeles, and the team deemed it a success after its completion. The surgeon who completed the procedure said in a statement that the "overall status of Joel's lateral meniscus and cartilage is very good. [The] procedure focused on removing a small portion of the meniscus that was responsible for his symptoms."

Embiid told ESPN he spent just "a couple of days" on crutches and has already been rehabbing his left knee.

Embiid played in just 31 games in his rookie season after missing the entirety of his first two years in the league. But in limited time, he was more than impressive. Despite a minutes restriction, he averaged 20.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists during his rookie season.

GoferKing_
10-10-2017, 05:25 AM
So if Embiid is healthy why he does not play in the preseason?

His official status on some sites : nwt - Injury/Illness

GoferKing_
10-10-2017, 05:32 AM
Here's another beauty from you..

"the thing with this though... Gia is having a fantastic season but its only been 35 games.... He has had 3 seasons before where he wasnt anything to write home about and really just exploded... Embiid in his first season so far is close to GIA current season and has not had the luxury of growing year after year like GIA has... So GIA really doesnt have the track record neither... He was good last year but nowhere close to this. "

So you're judging Giannis by 35 games (even though he has since shown he could hold it for the entire season), but you're already convinced Embiid is all-time talent?

Valade responds back by saying that Giannis has actually been much better than Embiid and you said:

"yea i have no issues at all with people taking Gia... i just think if we are going to use track record against embiid we need to also see if gia is capable of being close to this for more than 35 games."

So are you going to admit you are wrong about all of this? You're judging Embiid positively on 30 games but won't give Giannis credit for 35 games?

This is just pure gold. :D

Vinylman
10-10-2017, 06:40 AM
Well let's just say, he plays healthy this year, signs a 4 year max in RFA with no health provisions that we're forced to match, and he reinjures himself next season.

How is that better?

This is only a good argument if the guaranteed money is less in the 5 years than the 4 years... it also matters how the guaranteed money is structured because you could be stuck with money in year 5 which wouldn't be the case if he went RFA...

I think this is a wait and see but knowing how stupid Colangelo senior is I doubt the protections will live up to the hype... probably just window dressing to get coverage in the media for such a risky deal.

As for MTM he isn't very intelligent since he can't discern that this isn't a max deal if all the money isn't guaranteed despite his pronouncement that it is a max deal...

so which is it MTM... he signed a max deal which you say you said he would or Philly got him to sign a much smaller guarantee than the max?

Either way your analysis of the situation is garbage

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Wiggins already has his 5/$148M sitting on the table. Then fired his agent. He thinks he will get away without paying his agent his percentage. Also Bucks Parker is in the same boat of injury-prone player. I wish it was like NFL with nonguaranteed deals.

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 08:04 AM
this thread is a trip. the contract is probably the most complex in NBA history and not even close to fully guaranteed. It is highly performance and health based which is very smart and the deal seems to be well thought out. Dont you think our FO knows where he is health wise like people cant honestly think we just threw a 150mil at him with serious injury concerns, he is healthy, he has been for a while now and last years injury was just a common one that happens to most in this era. Sure he played 30 games last year but my lord he was among the best in the league despite not even playing ball for nearly 3 years, you lock this kind of talent up and do everything you can to protect him and your financial flexibility and both were accomplished here.

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 08:06 AM
of course flashbolt is continuing to troll as hard as possible in here, never change.

IndyRealist
10-10-2017, 08:46 AM
What do Lakers fans have against the Sixers? I don't get it. Is it a rivalry I don't know about?

warfelg
10-10-2017, 08:50 AM
What do Lakers fans have against the Sixers? I don't get it. Is it a rivalry I don't know about?

A little. All revolves around the fact that they “never tanked”.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 09:06 AM
We'll either look back at this in a few years as an obvious decision that kept a budding superstar in Philly or an absolute ridiculous overpay that Philly had no business making and potentially hindered the progress of a talented young team. I just don't see much of a gray area here. You can't max out a guy who's played 30 games and not end up looking like either a genius or an idiot.

bingo

warfelg
10-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Well the money isn’t even 100% guaranteed and what is guaranteed is reportedly about what Mozgov got.

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 09:55 AM
i really wish people wouldnt be lazy and actually look at the details of the contract. if you did there really is nothing to complain, bash, or question. at least we know when Embiid plays he if worthy of such a contract unlike most of the players who get max deals.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 10:24 AM
i really wish people wouldnt be lazy and actually look at the details of the contract. if you did there really is nothing to complain, bash, or question. at least we know when Embiid plays he if worthy of such a contract unlike most of the players who get max deals.

thing is, most of us don't give a **** about the details. A Sixers fan created this thread. Look at the title. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't have time to peel away the layers of every teams financial situation, I only care about my teams. Outside that, a general knowledge works.

This is the main NBA forum. There has been so much discussion over a guy who has played 30 ****ing games, it's ridiculous. If the Sixers signed him to a max deal, hopefully they leave themselves a way out if his lower body decides it will never work right. Otherwise, dumb move on their part. Pretty simple, right?

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 11:00 AM
of course flashbolt is continuing to troll as hard as possible in here, never change.

You say I'm trolling but literally everyone has had the same sentiments I am having. The general assessment of Embiid is he's way too injury prone to warrant this contract. We'll see what the protections really are but that doesn't change the fact that they jumped the gun with this.

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 11:01 AM

*When he plays..

You think that matters to GM's or no?

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 11:02 AM
thing is, most of us don't give a **** about the details. A Sixers fan created this thread. Look at the title. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't have time to peel away the layers of every teams financial situation, I only care about my teams. Outside that, a general knowledge works.

This is the main NBA forum. There has been so much discussion over a guy who has played 30 ****ing games, it's ridiculous. If the Sixers signed him to a max deal, hopefully they leave themselves a way out if his lower body decides it will never work right. Otherwise, dumb move on their part. Pretty simple, right?

the details are what matter here, dude! i swear you hate context. his isnt getting 148 flat guaranteed like 99% of players. the team is protected barring any major injuries and he has to earn the majority of his deal. is it really that hard for you to comprehend? he basically got a NFL type contract and at the moment is being paid similar to Mozgov.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 11:08 AM
the details are what matter here, dude! i swear you hate context. his isnt getting 148 flat guaranteed like 99% of players. the team is protected barring any major injuries and he has to earn the majority of his deal. is it really that hard for you to comprehend? he basically got a NFL type contract and at the moment is being paid similar to Mozgov.

I don't hate context. I just can't believe how sensitive Philly fans are about this guy. You have spent far more time typing in his defense, than he has playing NBA basketball.

The OP should make it clear the details. Otherwise, expect the responses you are reading. Nobody, except Philly fans, and those with a lot of extra time on their hands, care to dig into his contract. It says, "Embiid gets the max". To most, that is reaching.

Good for the Sixers for building it around achievements. They need to protect themselves.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 11:08 AM
this board has seriously spent 100 times the amount of time talking about this guy, than he has playing NBA basketball. My god

koldjerky
10-10-2017, 11:16 AM

As a Sixers follower (not a huge basketball fan so I feel it disingenuous to call myself a 'fan') I will look at the nuances of the deal before making a judgement but I absolutely agree with the bold point(s). If someone else created this thread and/or it was title something like, "Embiid Signs a Highly Incentive Laden Deal," it may have been received differently.

Reading all the bickering trash between all sides though, makes me think it wouldn't matter.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 11:18 AM
As a Sixers follower (not a huge basketball fan so I feel it disingenuous to call myself a 'fan') I will look at the nuances of the deal before making a judgement but I absolutely agree with the bold point(s). If someone else created this thread and/or it was title something like, "Embiid Signs a Highly Incentive Laden Deal," it may have been received differently.

Reading all the bickering trash between all sides though, makes me think it wouldn't matter.

nah, not anymore. Both sides (Philly fans/protectors), and the haters (Or guys who are sick of Embiid threads) are guilty at this point of just spouting off for no reason.

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't hate context. I just can't believe how sensitive Philly fans are about this guy. You have spent far more time typing in his defense, than he has playing NBA basketball.

The OP should make it clear the details. Otherwise, expect the responses you are reading. Nobody, except Philly fans, and those with a lot of extra time on their hands, care to dig into his contract. It says, "Embiid gets the max". To most, that is reaching.

Good for the Sixers for building it around achievements. They need to protect themselves.

no one is sensitive, people are just lazy and presumptuous. lets not pretend the majority who post on a site like this arent seeing the same news all over social media which has made it very clear that there are provisions in the deal.

warfelg
10-10-2017, 11:32 AM

I mean....look at who posted it. One of the biggest defenders of the guy out there.

Should have easily just been "Embiid, Sixers agree to 5 year $148 mil extension - details coming", or "Embiid signs deal potentially worth max money". Both of those tell the truth much better.

TheDish87
also no one should be taking MTM seriously. he pushes his agenda as hard as possible, but again you all saw the details in other reports anyway.

Hawkeye15
no one is sensitive, people are just lazy and presumptuous. lets not pretend the majority who post on a site like this arent seeing the same news all over social media which has made it very clear that there are provisions in the deal.

If a thread is started, and has more than a few pages, I don't even really read every post. Too much work.

I just read the espn breakdown of the deal. Solid for Philly. And Embiid honestly.

warfelg
10-10-2017, 11:40 AM
If a thread is started, and has more than a few pages, I don't even really read every post. Too much work.

I just read the espn breakdown of the deal. Solid for Philly. And Embiid honestly.

Its like I said way earlier....both sides won. Philly got protected, Embiid gets money. Win, Win.

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 12:02 PM
The issue with the reporting is that Woj didn't mention any protections when it was first reported. That's when the thread was created. Does anyone even have a source for what the protections are?

warfelg
10-10-2017, 12:10 PM
The issue with the reporting is that Woj didn't mention any protections when it was first reported. That's when the thread was created. Does anyone even have a source for what the protections are?

http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/09/joel-embiid-might-have-the-most-complicated-extension-in-nba-history/

Apparently it's really strange and will take some time to sort through. But they are in there.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 12:17 PM

it's fairly complicated, but a big one is minutes played achievements. After that, some typical stuff, and some unique stuff.

Basically, he will get paid well either way. But he gets paid like a star, if he plays...

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 12:28 PM

touche

smith&wesson
10-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Crazy the money some of these kids are getting. Unproven talent in the nba gets more money than superstars in the NFL and or NHL ... cray

GREATNESS ONE
10-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Crazy the money some of these kids are getting. Unproven talent in the nba gets more money than superstars in the NFL and or NHL ... cray

NFL- the pie gets split 1,800-ish ways (versus 450 for NBA players).
NHL- like 12 people watch, so they don't bring in the revenue

GodsSon
10-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Its like I said way earlier....both sides won. Philly got protected, Embiid gets money. Win, Win.

How did Philly win here?

Why not let the season play out and allow the free-market to dictate his worth as a RFA?? This is classic BC bidding against himself. Happened a lot in TO.

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 02:43 PM
if he plays out the season healthy we dont get all these provisions to save us if the worst happens. Past success or failure doesnt dictate the future so what BC drew up was literally perfect in this case. Nothing official yet but about 50% of the deal is guaranteed so with our cap space there is no risk in paying Embiid ~16 per. Everyone in the world knows he is worth it if he plays 60 games a season. He is going to play in pre season too bcuz he is...wait for it........healthy.

Leftcoast_yg
10-10-2017, 02:49 PM

Trust the process Lmao

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 02:51 PM
if he plays out the season healthy we dont get all these provisions to save us if the worst happens. Past success or failure doesnt dictate the future so what BC drew up was literally perfect in this case. Nothing official yet but about 50% of the deal is guaranteed so with our cap space there is no risk in paying Embiid ~16 per. Everyone in the world knows he is worth it if he plays 60 games a season. He is going to play in pre season too bcuz he is...wait for it........healthy.

He might be healthy enough to play pre-season but let's see if he is healthy enough to play B2B's, more than 30 minutes per game, and doesn't do so while getting injured. Greg Oden is healthy enough to play preseason.. your statement literally.. wait for it.... means nothing. It took him months to get healthy so he better BE healthy. Second, yes, past injuries that affect your foot when you're a big man does raise a lot of concerns because big men land heaviest on their lower body - which is why Embiid's injuries are all lower body. You can't honestly compare that to a guard getting injured. Just look at what Bynum+Oden were expected to be but weren't. There's precadent that big men are getting injured at higher rates.

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 03:00 PM
dude he has been healthy for months,literally months. didnt you read teh article that was posted somewhere in here? it was about the only useful post MTM made on this. WE didnt blindly sign the guy lol. you act like we dont have his medicals, havent monitored his rehab, etc, etc,etc. Oden had legs that were 2 different sizes, Bynum had a degenerative injury and was a lazy ****, neither is comparable. Also nowhere did i compare anyone to a guard?

LOb0
10-10-2017, 03:01 PM

76ers could have just offered half, he would have had to take it or risk getting hurt. So you'd get a bargain if he he got healthy. Like Steph Curry.

Now you're guaranteed at least 16 million a year. And we don't even know how many games he has to play to get the max. If he plays 50 is that max?

This was all time stupid no matter the details. They had zero reason to make this offer right now.

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 03:02 PM
76ers could have just offered half, he would have had to take it or risk getting hurt. So you'd get a bargain if he he got healthy. Like Steph Curry.

Now you're guaranteed at least 16 million a year. And we don't even know how many games he has to play to get the max. If he plays 50 is that max?

This was all time stupid no matter the details. They had zero reason to make this offer right now.

he doesnt get the max just by playing x amt of games lol there are several escalators in the deal like MVP and DPOY for example. again, you risk RFA and you dont get these insanely beneficial previsions to protect the franchise.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 03:06 PM
dude he has been healthy for months,literally months. didnt you read teh article that was posted somewhere in here? it was about the only useful post MTM made on this. WE didnt blindly sign the guy lol. you act like we dont have his medicals, havent monitored his rehab, etc, etc,etc. Oden had legs that were 2 different sizes, Bynum had a degenerative injury and was a lazy ****, neither is comparable. Also nowhere did i compare anyone to a guard?

well, history shows us that when young big men struggle with lower body injuries, most times, they either can't shake them all together, or are limited if they do play. It's not always the case, but overwhelmingly, it is. That is why so many are very hesitant when it comes to Embiid. And rightly so.

Everyone (well I think) hopes he is a success story. But men who weigh 250+ lbs with lower body issues don't just get better usually..

TheDish87
10-10-2017, 03:21 PM
well, history shows us that when young big men struggle with lower body injuries, most times, they either can't shake them all together, or are limited if they do play. It's not always the case, but overwhelmingly, it is. That is why so many are very hesitant when it comes to Embiid. And rightly so.

Everyone (well I think) hopes he is a success story. But men who weigh 250+ lbs with lower body issues don't just get better usually..

eh everyone is different and he hasnt had a back issue at all since we drafted him and his 2nd foot 'injury' was a result of his continuous growth and the screw becoming loose but he had no foot issues last year. had he missed 51 games for teh same foot problem he wouldnt have this contract and we wouldnt be having this discussion.

nycericanguy
10-10-2017, 03:33 PM

i think he's just trying to make himself feel better... now he's saying Covington should get $16-18m... knowing full well he's not worth anywhere near that... so when PHI pays him $12m+ he can call that a steal.

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 03:33 PM

1) You said past success doesn't indicate much. I brought up a guard because a guard has a better chance of coming back since their bodies don't go through as much pressure as a center's limbs. There is a proven track record of centers having deteriorating limbs just due to the fact that the running and jumping wears out on them quicker.

2) Didn't preseason start like two weeks ago? If he was healthy for months, what's happening? Why is he ready tomorrow but not the other games?

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 03:37 PM
i think he's just trying to make himself feel better... now he's saying Covington should get $16-18m... knowing full well he's not worth anywhere near that... so when PHI pays him $12m+ he can call that a steal.

Lol covington at 12 would be a steal... 16-18 is about what he is worth.... sorry i am not like certain fans in here that love everything... if its a good deal its a good deal... i dont love everything about my team because they are my team and i have the posts to prove it... i said all along embiid would get this and on top of that its basically the equivalent of what the lakers gave mosgod if it doesn't work out or um wait for it.... what the knicks gave Noah lol... How often did either of them play for that money? Upside is embiid at his worse wont put up 5 pts and 2 boards a game.

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 03:39 PM
eh everyone is different and he hasnt had a back issue at all since we drafted him and his 2nd foot 'injury' was a result of his continuous growth and the screw becoming loose but he had no foot issues last year. had he missed 51 games for teh same foot problem he wouldnt have this contract and we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Screw becoming lose... result of continuous growth... he slipped on a banana peel... a fan sneezed and the saliva caught onto Embiid's eye and he couldn't see.. So far, it sounds like you're making a crap ton of excuses for his injuries. Everyone is different... which is why you should be very concerned that Embiid may never be capable of playing a stringent amount of games. And you guys should be VERY concerned about Embiid's new muscle mass. He needs to slim it down a bit. He's way too heavy on the upper body and that is causing his legs to work extra time.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 03:46 PM

despite all that, please understand people are hesitant to believe in very large men recovering fully from numerous lower body injuries. Too much evidence otherwise.

warfelg
10-10-2017, 04:02 PM
How did Philly win here?

Why not let the season play out and allow the free-market to dictate his worth as a RFA?? This is classic BC bidding against himself. Happened a lot in TO.

If you let him hit RFA the deal likely doesn’t have health protections....for the 500 th time.

valade16
10-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Can we define "healthy for months"? He only recently got clearance to play 5 on 5 and has been held out of the preseason thus far. I don't know what healthy means in this context, but he sure hasn't been "able to play basketball" healthy for months.

Hawkeye15
10-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Can we define "healthy for months"? He only recently got clearance to play 5 on 5 and has been held out of the preseason thus far. I don't know what healthy means in this context, but he sure hasn't been "able to play basketball" healthy for months.

he is not sick.

LOb0
10-10-2017, 04:23 PM
he doesnt get the max just by playing x amt of games lol there are several escalators in the deal like MVP and DPOY for example. again, you risk RFA and you dont get these insanely beneficial previsions to protect the franchise.

And if he got hurt this season was anyone going to offer him 148 million dollars? Even if he didn't was anyone going to offer 148 million?

Play the odds here. If he gets hurt again which is very likely no one is making him an outrageous offer.

stephcurry182
10-10-2017, 04:42 PM
His upside I so high that they didnt want to wait around because there is not many bigs with that skill level left

warfelg
10-10-2017, 04:43 PM
And if he got hurt this season was anyone going to offer him 148 million dollars? Even if he didn't was anyone going to offer 148 million?

Play the odds here. If he gets hurt again which is very likely no one is making him an outrageous offer.

But is he accepting all these clauses on health if he’s coming off a healthy season.

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 06:06 PM

he is playing tomorrow :shrug: it was rumored all along that they held him out of preseason because of the contract and intended him to play as soon as it was finalized. With him playing tomorrow that is most likely what happened... He has been healthy for a while.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2017/10/10/16454120/joel-embiid-probable-to-play-in-preseason-tomorrow-new-contract

GodsSon
10-10-2017, 06:15 PM
If you let him hit RFA the deal likely doesn’t have health protections....for the 500 th time.

It's also not likely to be $148 mil because the only person dumb enough to give him that much was BC.

warfelg
10-10-2017, 06:18 PM
It's also not likely to be $148 mil because the only person dumb enough to give him that much was BC.

So basically if it cause us more in guaranteed money in the long run it would be better only because we waited. Got it.

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 06:22 PM

again................................ Noah/Mosgod/Deng/Turner/Crabbe etc etc etc..... If we wait... we dont get to apply the restrictions... lets say we wait and he is healthy and a team only offers him 120.... you do realize we cant offer the restrictions we have right?

nycericanguy
10-10-2017, 06:32 PM
again................................ Noah/Mosgod/Deng/Turner/Crabbe etc etc etc..... If we wait... we dont get to apply the restrictions... lets say we wait and he is healthy and a team only offers him 120.... you do realize we cant offer the restrictions we have right?

your using some of the worst contracts ever given out in a year that everything was inflated as baselines.... contracts came back down to earth this summer.

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 06:35 PM
your using some of the worst contracts ever given out in a year that everything was inflated as baselines.... contracts came back down to earth this summer.

no they didnt. It got worse.. Did you see what Tim Hardaway is getting?

GREATNESS ONE
10-10-2017, 06:59 PM
:laugh2:

zn23
10-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Apparently it's a very incentive laden contract with a bunch of outs in case it backfires. Little guaranteed money.

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Apparently it's a very incentive laden contract with a bunch of outs in case it backfires. Little guaranteed money.

you cant tell certain posters that lol... they just ignore.

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 10:17 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/joel-embiid-contract-unique-maybe-ever/#ibyphy01DbDoEpIw.97

Damn that was tough to find... Google is your friend. We are on the hook for half... which is basically less than the mosgov deals because we are on the hook for 5 years 75 mill or so.

“The way it was described to me today… This is as unique of a contract as the League has seen maybe ever.” […]

“Philadelphia gets protection if the foot, if the knee, if any of that gives out and he can’t play anymore.

“But even then, Embiid will still get roughly half this contract.”

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 10:21 PM
No, you heard the soundbits of it... there are no specific details regarding this contract yet other than the few sentences everyone keeps splurging on and on about. 100 percent right.. who the hell comes on here saying "HAHA I TOLD YOU SO I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG WHO IS THE IDIOT NOW?" Because read through the first few pages.. that is you.

lol how was i wrong? he got a max... i didnt expect there to be provisions or safety measures which only helps our situation more. :laugh:

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 10:21 PM
LOL I really dont care who is against me or what anyone has to say... I care about what is 100 percent going on right now... NOW we have 8 posts that have 0 to do with any information on the topic at hand.

As for the provisions they are known... it was on daily news live from the reporters today whom have gone over every part of it... and a big part of how much he can make is tied to how healthy he is.

No, you heard the soundbits of it... there are no specific details regarding this contract yet other than the few sentences everyone keeps splurging on and on about. 100 percent right.. who the hell comes on here saying "HAHA I TOLD YOU SO I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG WHO IS THE IDIOT NOW?" Because read through the first few pages.. that is you. But if you want to convince yourself that you don't care, I would like to know why you keep replying back to posts that don't have anything to do with this topic..

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 10:23 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/joel-embiid-contract-unique-maybe-ever/#ibyphy01DbDoEpIw.97

Damn that was tough to find... Google is your friend. We are on the hook for half... which is basically less than the mosgov deals because we are on the hook for 5 years 75 mill or so.

“The way it was described to me today… This is as unique of a contract as the League has seen maybe ever.” […]

“Philadelphia gets protection if the foot, if the knee, if any of that gives out and he can’t play anymore.

“But even then, Embiid will still get roughly half this contract.”

flash... thoughts? Basically the general consensus all over is the sixers are on the hook for only half lol... I will wait.

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 10:28 PM
flash... thoughts? Basically the general consensus all over is the sixers are on the hook for only half lol... I will wait.

Lmao.. here you go again. Wait for what? Does everything have to be a GOTCHA moment with you? Can't have a damn discussion with you thinking this is a presidential debate. That's not the entire provision.. that just says Sixers are just guaranteeing him half of that salary but it doesn't specify much considering they said it was a complex contract.. so where is the complexity if all you are saying is that they will only pay half in the worst case scenario? Google is your friend? Okay, can you google me the entire provision then?

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Lmao.. here you go again. Wait for what? Does everything have to be a GOTCHA moment with you? Can't have a damn discussion with you thinking this is a presidential debate. That's not the entire provision.. that just says Sixers are just guaranteeing him half of that salary but it doesn't specify much considering they said it was a complex contract.. so where is the complexity if all you are saying is that they will only pay half in the worst case scenario? Google is your friend? Okay, can you google me the entire provision then?

lmfao THEY ARE ON THE HOOK FOR HALF... That has already been stated... non of the other provisions matter... If he gets injured he is only owed Half.

FlashBolt
10-10-2017, 11:06 PM
lmfao THEY ARE ON THE HOOK FOR HALF... That has already been stated... non of the other provisions matter... If he gets injured he is only owed Half.

I am done discussing with you. They said this was one of the most complex contracts out there but you say the only thing that matters is they pay half if he is injured.. so I guess you should go yell at them for saying that it is complexed.

PAOboston
10-10-2017, 11:10 PM
Per Woj:

Philadelphia 76ers*center Joel Embiid's five-year, $146.5 million maximum extension is essentially guaranteed but protects the franchise financially should Embiid suffer a contractually specific catastrophic injury, league sources told ESPN.

Across each of the final four seasons of the extension, ending with the 2022-23 season, the 76ers could waive Embiid for a financial benefit if he's lost because of a contractually agreed-upon injury that causes him to miss 25 or more regular-season games and if he plays less than 1,650 minutes, league sources said.

So basically he makes 25 mil per and Sixers have the "option" to waive him if he misses 25 or more games for a contractually agreed upon injury. That's a lot different that only half guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 11:15 PM
Per Woj:

So basically he makes 25 mil per and Sixers have the "option" to waive him if he misses 25 or more games for a contractually agreed upon injury. That's a lot different that only half guaranteed.

you are right.... that is better lol... he misses 25 games we can cut him?

PAOboston
10-10-2017, 11:38 PM
you are right.... that is better lol... he misses 25 games we can cut him?How so? Philly takes the risk. They won't cut him if he misses 25-30 games. They'll just pay him and pray they can get 50 games from him.

More-Than-Most
10-10-2017, 11:57 PM
How so? Philly takes the risk. They won't cut him if he misses 25-30 games. They'll just pay him and pray they can get 50 games from him.

nono of course they wouldnt but if he has a terrible injury like his foot or knee all will be well right? Thanks for the link though. I pray he is healthy and am so happy we signed him... its just a bonus to me that we have such an out.

Rush
10-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Let's just keep chill in here, guys.

warfelg
10-11-2017, 06:52 AM
Only on PSD can a contract with injury clauses and outs for the team be portrayed as a bad thing.

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 06:55 AM

this is more crap analysis... per usual

Additionally, the protections in the contract are window dressing...

the injury provisions only deal with existing injuries... an injury to the lower extremeties not related to a prior injury still gets him paid his full money...

the spin in here is hilarious... he is effectively being guaranteed more than he would have signing a 4 year RFA deal... not to mention all teams would have had another year to look at him so he could prove he could stay healthy.

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 06:56 AM

Wrong! That is the spin in this thread...

as usual... PSD doesn't deal in reality

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 06:57 AM

Wrong... as usual... your analysis is garbage and doesn't deal in facts

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Only on PSD can a contract with injury clauses and outs for the team be portrayed as a bad thing.

read the details ... your spin doesn't align with reality

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20985023/joel-embiid-extension-protects-philadelphia-76ers-case-contractually-specific-catastrophic-injury

Here's how a perfect storm of calamity would have to unfold for Embiid to earn any less than the full $146.5 million: Across each of the final four seasons of the extension, ending with the 2022-23 season, the 76ers could waive Embiid for a financial benefit if he's lost because of a contractually agreed-upon injury that causes him to miss 25 or more regular-season games and if he plays less than 1,650 minutes, league sources said.

Specific injuries are laid out in the contract and include only past problem areas with Embiid's feet and back, sources said. Embiid has to miss 25 or more regular-season games because of injuries in those areas, and play less than 1,650 minutes, for Philadelphia to have the option of releasing him for cost savings.

WOJ's analysis is that it is essentially guaranteed...

Like I said yesterday before the details came out... the provisions would be window dressing and old man Colangelo is an idiot for taking this risk.

One other detail people who say it was better to sign him now than as an RFA is that the first year of the new deal is 100% guaranteed... the joke of an injury provision only applies to years 2-5...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Specific injuries are laid out in the contract and include only past problem areas with Embiid's feet and back, sources said. Embiid has to miss 25 or more regular-season games because of injuries in those areas, and play less than 1,650 minutes, for Philadelphia to have the option of releasing him for cost savings.

So he can still get other different injuries and collect it all. Bucks should do this for Parker. Any more ACL injuries contract is null and void.

warfelg
10-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Like I said, only on PSD could injury protections be deemed as a bad thing.

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Like I said, only on PSD could injury protections be deemed as a bad thing.

nah dude... you haven't been unreasonable on here... the whole discussion went into the toilet due to some Philly homers making ignorant statements before the facts came out...

Additionally, no one is saying that those provisions aren't good ... they are saying that they are being overblown and that vis a vis waiting to sign him as an RFA would be smarter since they really aren't going to save anything...

warfelg
10-11-2017, 07:54 AM
nah dude... you haven't been unreasonable on here... the whole discussion went into the toilet due to some Philly homers making ignorant statements before the facts came out...

Additionally, no one is saying that those provisions aren't good ... they are saying that they are being overblown and that vis a vis waiting to sign him as an RFA would be smarter since they really aren't going to save anything...

And if he refused these same protections a year from now because he played a relatively healthy season?

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Screw becoming lose... result of continuous growth... he slipped on a banana peel... a fan sneezed and the saliva caught onto Embiid's eye and he couldn't see.. So far, it sounds like you're making a crap ton of excuses for his injuries. Everyone is different... which is why you should be very concerned that Embiid may never be capable of playing a stringent amount of games. And you guys should be VERY concerned about Embiid's new muscle mass. He needs to slim it down a bit. He's way too heavy on the upper body and that is causing his legs to work extra time.

lol no this is literally what happened.

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 08:47 AM
again its like people think we paid him him blindly, dont you think we know where he is health wise and the risk for re-injury is? he got this contract bcuz the team believes he will play the majority of games each season and clearly multiple doctors do too. but hes back now so we can all just let him play do the talking.

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 09:06 AM
And if he refused these same protections a year from now because he played a relatively healthy season?

the protections are hollow... the protections only apply to the prior injuries...

Are you under the false assumption of if he misses 25 games in 2018-19 that they can just release him for the last 4 years for no payments? That isn't the case at all...

Hope he stays healthy and has a great career... with that said Philly could have got a better deal NOW or just waited to match...

Lets say Embiid plays only 30 games again this year... do you think someone will max him for 4 years next offseason? No chance

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 09:36 AM
knee isn't covered... the protections are almost meaningless... has to be the foot or back injury like before and PHI has to release him. If PHI was willing to give him a mega max after 3 seasons in which he played 13% of PHI's games, and even in those guys only played half a game... what makes you think they would release him for missing 25 games?

no its the knee and foot. he doesnt have back issues.

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 09:38 AM
nono of course they wouldnt but if he has a terrible injury like his foot or knee all will be well right? Thanks for the link though. I pray he is healthy and am so happy we signed him... its just a bonus to me that we have such an out.

knee isn't covered... the protections are almost meaningless... has to be the foot or back injury like before and PHI has to release him. If PHI was willing to give him a mega max after 3 seasons in which he played 13% of PHI's games, and even in those guys only played half a game... what makes you think they would release him for missing 25 games?

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 09:38 AM
2 pages back says foot and knee....

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 09:41 AM
no its the knee and foot. he doesnt have back issues.

Specific injuries are laid out in the contract and include only past problem areas with Embiid's feet and back, sources said.

warfelg
10-11-2017, 09:49 AM
the protections are hollow... the protections only apply to the prior injuries...

Are you under the false assumption of if he misses 25 games in 2018-19 that they can just release him for the last 4 years for no payments? That isn't the case at all...

Hope he stays healthy and has a great career... with that said Philly could have got a better deal NOW or just waited to match...

Lets say Embiid plays only 30 games again this year... do you think someone will max him for 4 years next offseason? No chance

First off lol at protections being hollow for two injuries that historically have been recurring issues if they happen.

Second. I never said it gets completely wiped away. Not once. I said that all reports said at the lowest we would end up paying about the same amount Mozgov got.

This is a good deal for both sides.

No no one maxes him in that case. But he could also easily just sign the QO and them be an URFA. Which would be even worse for us.

lakers squad
10-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Shots fired...haha!

lakers squad
10-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Well the money isn’t even 100% guaranteed and what is guaranteed is reportedly about what Mozgov got.

This!

lakers squad
10-11-2017, 10:08 AM

I agree...it's still that time of the year where everyone's hunting everything/anything nba related to talk about lol!

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 10:11 AM
i believe the most another team could have offered was around 4/100m anyway. PHI has basically guaranteed him $75m even if he never plays a game for them... i think it would have been better to just wait and gauge how healthy he was and whether he could at least play 50% of their games this year before giving him a contract that could turn into 5/178m.

warfelg
10-11-2017, 10:32 AM
i believe the most another team could have offered was around 4/100m anyway. PHI has basically guaranteed him $75m even if he never plays a game for them... i think it would have been better to just wait and gauge how healthy he was and whether he could at least play 50% of their games this year before giving him a contract that could turn into 5/178m.

The most they could have offered was 4/~$115.

The only ways that this contract becomes $178M is he doesn’t get waived with the pre-existing condition clause, AND wins MVP, DPOY or gets named to an All-Pro team. And that only is if it happens this year.

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Lowe said on his podcast that Embiid has been 100% for quite some time, like we have been trying to tell everyone.

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 10:58 AM
The most they could have offered was 4/~$115.

The only ways that this contract becomes $178M is he doesn’t get waived with the pre-existing condition clause, AND wins MVP, DPOY or gets named to an All-Pro team. And that only is if it happens this year.

i could def see Embidd playing 50-60 games this year and making an All NBA team.. all NBA at Center is not hard to make... i mean Andre Drummond made it last year... if Embidd plays more than 50% of the season I think he has a good chance of making an all NBA team and having the contract go up to 178m.

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Lowe said on his podcast that Embiid has been 100% for quite some time, like we have been trying to tell everyone.

i read he wasn't practicing because he wanted a contract first... that's unheard of... a player under contract holding out from even practice for fear of getting injured?

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 11:11 AM
i could def see Embidd playing 50-60 games this year and making an All NBA team.. all NBA at Center is not hard to make... i mean Andre Drummond made it last year... if Embidd plays more than 50% of the season I think he has a good chance of making an all NBA team and having the contract go up to 178m.

there is no C position the AS game anymore but if Embiid plays enough he will be a shoe in to start

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 11:11 AM

assuming what the philly fans are reporting is correct (which I highly doubt) ... He is already guaranteed the following

18/19 $25 million
19/20 $16 million
20/21 $16 million
21/22 $16 million
22/23 $16 million

That is $89 million and I do not believe the last 4 years are accurate

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 11:13 AM
i read he wasn't practicing because he wanted a contract first... that's unheard of... a player under contract holding out from even practice for fear of getting injured?

more of an agreement between the parties it has sounded like. We were being overly cautious with him as we should be.

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 11:13 AM
assuming what the philly fans are reporting is correct (which I highly doubt) ... He is already guaranteed the following

18/19 $25 million
19/20 $16 million
20/21 $16 million
21/22 $16 million
22/23 $16 million

That is $89 million and I do not believe the last 4 years are accurate

i believe Woj reported if he doesnt play another game he gets at least 84

warfelg
10-11-2017, 11:15 AM

I’d be ok with that because at that point he would earn it.

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 11:46 AM
First off lol at protections being hollow for two injuries that historically have been recurring issues if they happen.

Second. I never said it gets completely wiped away. Not once. I said that all reports said at the lowest we would end up paying about the same amount Mozgov got.

This is a good deal for both sides.

No no one maxes him in that case. But he could also easily just sign the QO and them be an URFA. Which would be even worse for us.

link on the bolded... don't believe it for one second

Again, the lower extremity injuries bigs suffer rarely manifest themselves in the same place... Also, if he does get injured "in the same place" I will guarantee you he will still get paid because some medical guy will make up BS about how it isn't the same... this always happens in disability claims when people argue pre-existing conditions

Finally, the most likely scenario will be that he will come up with some other "nagging" injury here and there and will take days off with no jeopardy to his contract...

Hate to burst Philly fans bubbles but you got yourself a 5 / 145 deal here

Vinylman
10-11-2017, 11:48 AM
i believe Woj reported if he doesnt play another game he gets at least 84

not if the injury is to his shoulder or his groin or his ankle or his..............

TheDish87
10-11-2017, 12:51 PM
you know what i meant.............

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 02:14 PM
I’d be ok with that because at that point he would earn it.

He'd have to do alot more than that to earn $178m.

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 02:16 PM
PHI is clearly all in on Embid, I seriously doubt they cut him if he misses 25 games this year because of a foot or back issue. That would leave them on the hook for $89m over 5 years for basically nothing out of Embid?

If they were willing to give him this mega deal they are all in, I think Embid would have to basically retire for PHI to cut him.

More-Than-Most
10-11-2017, 05:10 PM
PHI is clearly all in on Embid, I seriously doubt they cut him if he misses 25 games this year because of a foot or back issue. That would leave them on the hook for $89m over 5 years for basically nothing out of Embid?

If they were willing to give him this mega deal they are all in, I think Embid would have to basically retire for PHI to cut him.

basically this... Its just an added advantage for us because if he hurts any of his normal crap then we are in the clear. New injuries can hurt us of course but that goes for every team. We are all in on embiid because and i tried to explain this before... his talent on both ends is something insanely special... If he works out we have a legit shot at a championship down the line... if he doesnt we dont but being on the hook for him wont matter much because over the next 5 years unless you hit on an embiid like talent you arent challenging the top tier teams.

nycericanguy
10-11-2017, 05:28 PM
basically this... Its just an added advantage for us because if he hurts any of his normal crap then we are in the clear. New injuries can hurt us of course but that goes for every team. We are all in on embiid because and i tried to explain this before... his talent on both ends is something insanely special... If he works out we have a legit shot at a championship down the line... if he doesnt we dont but being on the hook for him wont matter much because over the next 5 years unless you hit on an embiid like talent you arent challenging the top tier teams.

you think if he hurts his foot this year and misses 25+ games PHI cuts him? and pays him $90m for the next 5 years? and how is having a guy taking up almost 20% of the cap for 5 years being "in the clear".?

Seriously doubt it... like i said they are clearly ALL IN... i think it would take a catastrophic, career ending injury for them to cut him.

IndyRealist
10-11-2017, 07:54 PM
I recall when Monta had the moped incident that he could have been cut because it violated his contract. Of course they weren't going to cut him, so the contract clause was meaningless. It's the same with Embiid.

warfelg
10-11-2017, 08:05 PM
I recall when Monta had the moped incident that he could have been cut because it violated his contract. Of course they weren't going to cut him, so the contract clause was meaningless. It's the same with Embiid.

I think likely, let’s say he hurts the foot again, misses year 2 of the contract....he won’t get cut. But if he misses a second year because it didn’t heal right or something like that, then he’s at risk.

And personally that’s why I like the clauses. It helps us for a long term issue not a short term.

Laker Legend42
10-11-2017, 10:49 PM
What do Lakers fans have against the Sixers? I don't get it. Is it a rivalry I don't know about? I don’t think lakers fans have an issue with philly..... At least I don’t. I like the fact that they are finally trying to win. I like most of the draft picks they’ve made the past few years. I don’t completely understand fultz because you have Ben Simmons (can’t wait to see that dude play) I think one of those small forwards would have made more sense.

TheDish87
10-12-2017, 08:48 AM
we are going to lock up Covington at the 3 thats why Fultz was the perfect fit for us. He looks better than Simmons with the ball in half court situations so he will get to do his thing and he is a capable shooter to play off the ball too.

Aust
10-13-2017, 05:48 AM
It is pretty insane that 31 minute restricted games can get you that. It's a unique situation.

Aust
10-13-2017, 05:50 AM
I don’t think lakers fans have an issue with philly..... At least I don’t. I like the fact that they are finally trying to win. I like most of the draft picks they’ve made the past few years. I don’t completely understand fultz because you have Ben Simmons (can’t wait to see that dude play) I think one of those small forwards would have made more sense.

It's good to have more than one playmaker. Simmons can be the primary and Fultz the secondary who provides spacing with his shooting.

warfelg
10-13-2017, 02:12 PM
It is pretty insane that 31 minute restricted games can get you that. It's a unique situation.

This is the most accurate thing almost anyone has said in this thread.

ewing
10-13-2017, 02:33 PM
we are going to lock up Covington at the 3 thats why Fultz was the perfect fit for us. He looks better than Simmons with the ball in half court situations so he will get to do his thing and he is a capable shooter to play off the ball too.

You have it all figured out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDish87
10-13-2017, 02:58 PM
more than the Knicks do at least

ewing
10-13-2017, 03:13 PM
low blow

albfree
10-13-2017, 08:24 PM
31 minutes is fine. I would cap it even lower if I'm sixers gm or coach. Say, 28 or 29 minutes in the first third of the season.

A lot of bigs can't play much more than 30 minutes anyway since they get in foul trouble, or because they can't play in the final 3 or 4 minutes of a game because they can't make free throws.

goingfor28
10-14-2017, 03:26 AM
Embiids tweeting tonight was absolutely hilarious [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
10-14-2017, 04:12 AM
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp% 7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Joel Embiid‏Verified account
@JoelEmbiid
Joel Embiid Retweeted Hassan Whiteside
Dude they had to take your *** out or you would’ve fouled out in 5 min... And we’re talking about Preseason, not regular season..... #Softy

Joel Embiid‏Verified account @JoelEmbiid 4h4 hours ago
More
My bad y’all , I thought I was using my burner account #TheProcess

koldjerky
10-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Omg that last tweet is amazing.

warfelg
10-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Omg that last tweet is amazing.

This one cracked me up:
https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/919049822237323264

goingfor28
10-14-2017, 09:50 AM
He's amazing. I hope he keeps it up throughout his career. The burner account tweet had me [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-14-2017, 11:44 AM

They both make a point. Whiteside can stuff his box score numbers pretty good. But there was stats showing Heat were better with him on the bench. Also the #Embiideclipse was true as well. 3 seasons and only 33 games total.

IndyRealist
10-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Just your friendly, periodic reminder that +/- doesn't worked, never worked, and never will work.

The Flash
10-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Embiid trash talking , look at the flops:

http://ballislife.com/joel-embiid-hassan-whitesides-full-hilarious-twitter-war-from-2016-to-2017/

TheDish87
10-14-2017, 03:13 PM

They both make a point. Whiteside can stuff his box score numbers pretty good. But there was stats showing Heat were better with him on the bench. Also the #Embiideclipse was true as well. 3 seasons and only 33 games total.

Whiteside played 19 games in his first 3 seasons

warfelg
10-14-2017, 05:02 PM
Whiteside played 19 games in his first 3 seasons

First 4 IIRC

Vinylman
10-17-2017, 08:01 AM
brett brown... already talking minutes restrictions... gotta get that games played number up

TheDish87
10-17-2017, 09:43 AM
well that was expected. though a restriction in the teens definitely wasnt but Brown did mention there is wiggle room so it doesnt sound like a strict restriction. He played 15 in his 2 pre-seasons games so id expect as close to 20 as possible for the first 2 weeks and hopefully and increase from there.

Vinylman
10-17-2017, 10:23 AM
well that was expected. though a restriction in the teens definitely wasnt but Brown did mention there is wiggle room so it doesnt sound like a strict restriction. He played 15 in his 2 pre-seasons games so id expect as close to 20 as possible for the first 2 weeks and hopefully and increase from there.

I hope the guy does well... he is a unique talent and an awesome troll :clap:

he could be entertaining for years!!!!!!!!

tp13baby
10-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Signs max, opening delegates to 16 minutes. Bold strategy 6ers.

Heediot
10-18-2017, 10:48 AM
dude deserves the max if he can get this thread to 50 pages!