PDA

View Full Version : Silver: 1-16 playoff seeding depends on balanced schedule

mrblisterdundee
10-08-2017, 11:45 PM
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said seeding the playoffs one through 16 without regards to conferences depends on creating a more balanced schedule of east versus west teams:

"As I've said before, we don't play a balanced schedule now, as I'm sure you kno. And for those that don't, that means that teams in the East play each other more than they play teams in the West. And our feeling is, if we were going to seed 1-16, we would need to play a balanced schedule to make it fair for everyone if we were going to seed 1-16 in the playoffs. It may be that as we continue to experiment with the number of days over which we can schedule 82 games that it will create more of an opportunity for a balanced schedule."
- Nick Friedell, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20957734/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-discusses-playoff-reseeding)

dhopisthename
10-09-2017, 12:11 AM
I would be shocked if this happened.

warfelg
10-09-2017, 08:05 AM
I would be shocked if this happened.

Yup. Travel and scheduling is bad as of now; can you imagine what a balanced schedule would look like?

Basically means playing every team 3 times, and only 5 teams twice. So how so do you balance home/away? That would mean some coastal teams having to make 2 west/east coast extended trips. It's something the NBA worked hard to fix to make players more available. Can you imagine Portland/Miami playing 3 times a year with that travel? Boston to LA?

TrueFan420
10-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Even if the schedule isn't balanced the west would still send the majority of teams in a 1-16 format

Hawkeye15
10-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Even if we factor in how much more efficient, and comfortable travel is, with teams resting players the way they do now, it would get even more complicated if they try and spread out the miles for each team.

Fact is, only a few teams really have a chance anyways. As much as we hate years where multiple sub .500 teams make it out east, does it really affect the overall championship? Nah

warfelg
10-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Even if we factor in how much more efficient, and comfortable travel is, with teams resting players the way they do now, it would get even more complicated if they try and spread out the miles for each team.

Fact is, only a few teams really have a chance anyways. As much as we hate years where multiple sub .500 teams make it out east, does it really affect the overall championship? Nah

Very much agreed. And I’ll look back but usually if you did this you would only get like 1 or 2 more western teams in the playoffs.

What would be different is the top 2 teams in the east wouldn’t cruise to the near end.

Hawkeye15
10-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Very much agreed. And I’ll look back but usually if you did this you would only get like 1 or 2 more western teams in the playoffs.

What would be different is the top 2 teams in the east wouldn’t cruise to the near end.

pretty much. I wonder if people cried about the imbalance back in the early/mid 80's, when it was the other way around, and Magic's Lakers were feasting on chumps in round 1 most years.

warfelg
10-09-2017, 10:21 AM
pretty much. I wonder if people cried about the imbalance back in the early/mid 80's, when it was the other way around, and Magic's Lakers were feasting on chumps in round 1 most years.

Nope because no one cared and knew it would swing back around.

That's what I hate about this overreaction. Soon some stars are going to want to be the man on a team, gravitate east because there isn't much competition, and the east will be a bit better than the west.

NBA works on a much longer cycle than MLB/NFL/NHL with that stuff. Takes about 15-20 years for the swing to happen.