PDA

View Full Version : Spurs, What is Pop up to?

Scoots
10-05-2017, 10:29 AM
I think by now we all expect Pop to have a plan. This year's Spurs are hard to figure.

Pau and Aldridge are the only bigs with much experience (I assume they need to keep their minutes down some) and the only other bigs on the roster are Lauvergne, Bertans, and Brimah. The Spurs went from having a lot of size to being really short on size (no pun intended).

On the other side of the roster there are 7 guards 6'5" or under, and 5 wings between 6'6" and 6'9".

The Spurs have been working to get younger the last few years and other than Pau, Parker, Ginobli, Gay, and Aldridge the rest of the roster is under 10 year experience and 9 players on the current roster have under 3 years of experience.

The Warriors have 2 players under 6'7", Steph Curry and Andre Iguodala.

What is Pop's plan? I assume it's going to work and I assume the Warriors are the target, but I don't see how. Are they going to try to play even faster? Are they going to play old Spurs ball 15 minutes a night with Parker, Ginobli, Leonard, Aldrige, and Gasol and the rest of the time play like Doug Moe's coaching again?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-05-2017, 11:45 AM
I was curious if Aldridge is still being shopped or not.

JOSKOMANG4
10-05-2017, 12:32 PM
3 way trade idea: Wash/NO/SA

- Spurs acquire C Gortat, C Ainjca, F Obrue.
- Spurs trade C/F LA

L: Gortat/Gasol/Kawhi/Green/Parker
key B: Ainjca, Gay, Obrue, Mills, Murray, Manu, Anderson
O: Lavergne, Bertans, White(2-way).

- Pelicans acquire PF/C Lamarcus Aldridge, & 2018 1st & 2nd rd pick from Wizards
- Pelicans trade Ainjca & Demarcus Cousins

L: LA/Davis/Allen/Moore/Holiday
Key B: Diallo, Clark, Hill, Rondo.

- Wizards get Boogie Cousins
- Wizards trade Obrue, Gortat, & 2018 1ST & 2ND RD PICK.

L: Cousins/Morris/Porter/Beal/Wall
Key B: Mahimni, Smith, Meeks, Satorsky, Frazier

kdspurman
10-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Only Pop knows that one.. I initially thought LMA would start at the 5 and Kawhi at the 4, with Gay/Anderson or someone at the 3 but I really have no idea.

I imagine it'll take some time for him to see what works, but they definitely had a vision in mind for this season.

I remember reading some success they had with LMA/Kawhi at the 5/4 or basically with Kawhi with any other big.

62 minutes of Leonard/Aldridge at the four and the five, respectively, and it was good for a 128.9 offensive rating and a 96.3 defensive rating, a 32.6 net.

Letís replace Aldridge with Lee, who had the next most minutes as the sole big working alongside Leonard, with 34. Having a 6í8 guy as the biggest dude on the floor doesnít seem like the best idea, conceptually, and even worse when heís got the defensive reputation that Leeís got. But in lineups with Leonard and without Aldridge, Gasol, Dedmon, Bertans, Anthony and Laprovittola, the Spurs have had a 131.9 offensive rating and a 88.4 defensive rating, a 43.5 net.

So there was definitely success running Kawhi @ the 4 or playing smaller in general, it was even evident in the series against Houston. I think that's the direction he probably wants to go in even if it makes him cringe a bit. But I imagine there will be times he wants to have LMA/Pau out there together, especially with Pau becoming a bit of a sharpshooter from 3. LMA has also said he plans to shoot more 3's.

FlashBolt
10-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Only Pop knows that one.. I initially thought LMA would start at the 5 and Kawhi at the 4, with Gay/Anderson or someone at the 3 but I really have no idea.

I imagine it'll take some time for him to see what works, but they definitely had a vision in mind for this season.

I remember reading some success they had with LMA/Kawhi at the 5/4 or basically with Kawhi with any other big.

So there was definitely success running Kawhi @ the 4 or playing smaller in general, it was even evident in the series against Houston. I think that's the direction he probably wants to go in even if it makes him cringe a bit. But I imagine there will be times he wants to have LMA/Pau out there together, especially with Pau becoming a bit of a sharpshooter from 3. LMA has also said he plans to shoot more 3's.

Wow, Gasol shot over 50% from three. That's insane since he was never known as a shooter. I still think you guys overpaid for Gasol. It might hurt you guys next season if you're trying to get more talent.

kdspurman
10-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Wow, Gasol shot over 50% from three. That's insane since he was never known as a shooter. I still think you guys overpaid for Gasol. It might hurt you guys next season if you're trying to get more talent.

He was def a bit overpriced, but they had just lost TD, and he was probably the best big guy they could get. Someone who was smart, high bbiq, and could fit in quickly.

He also opted out of his contract this summer to give us flexibility to sign some FA's, but when they weren't able to, they gave him a nice little contract for the gesture. They could've offered less but it'd look a little bad for future FA's, and they tend to operate on the side of treating their guys well who do right by them.

But yea.. The guy has become a helluva shooter. You almost have to for someone like him to adapt his game a bit, and he's done it big time in that regard. He's not doing much damage in the post anymore, might as well become a 3 point threat

kdspurman
10-05-2017, 04:11 PM
I was curious if Aldridge is still being shopped or not.

Don't think so anymore, but I guess it's still possible.. It was just put out there he had a heart to heart with Pop this summer and voiced his concerns.

LaMarcus Aldridge initially closed his mind to utilizing the open-door policy advertised by coach Gregg Popovich.But two years in, it turns out the rumors were true regarding Aldridge's unhappiness, despite all the spin.

Having already stomached the uneasy feeling of not being used in San Antonio's system the way he'd envisioned, a disastrous showing in the Western Conference finals took it over the top, along with an offseason in which San Antonio attempted to trade Aldridge. The five-time All-Star decided it was finally time to get it all off his chest, so he asked for a heart-to-heart sitdown over the summer with Popovich.

"It was me kind of being blunt about it, and being kind of forward," Aldridge recently told ESPN during training camp. "He was open to it. I kind of just spilled my heart about how I felt about how things were, and how things had been going.

"I think he was kind of caught off guard. I don't think he really had noticed [that I was unhappy]. But once I said it, he was great about listening, and it was good from there. I felt like I wasn't really fitting into the system as best I could. I wasn't really helping like I felt I could."

Popovich admitted his power forward's frustrations were "all legitimate," and the hope is the opened lines of communication will help light the path to another title run.
"This is a guy who played for nine years, I believe, before he came here," Popovich said, "and it takes time to get used to a program that is not just new. But when you have nine years under your belt, doing something different, his concerns are totally legitimate.

"We have talked about what we can do to make him more comfortable, and to make our team better. But having said that, I think we are mostly talking about offense. Defense, he was fantastic for us. Now, we have got to help him a little bit more so that he is comfortable in his own space offensively, and I haven't done a very good job of that."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20901861/nba-lamarcus-aldridge-adjustment-spurs-enters-year-3

Fwiw, LMA came into shape this summer in very good shape. Always felt he was a bit heavier the last few years. He's definitely slimmed his frame a little, and being a contract year, hopefully he becomes the legit #2 needed next to Kawhi. Either that or his value somehow goes way up and they're able to get something back for him lol

Scoots
10-05-2017, 04:35 PM
I'm looking forward to Murray, Bertans, Anderson, and White get some PT early in the season and see who gets Pop's confidence to average 15+ minutes a game. I'm fairly sure Murray will get there.

FlashBolt
10-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Don't think so anymore, but I guess it's still possible.. It was just put out there he had a heart to heart with Pop this summer and voiced his concerns.

LaMarcus Aldridge initially closed his mind to utilizing the open-door policy advertised by coach Gregg Popovich.But two years in, it turns out the rumors were true regarding Aldridge's unhappiness, despite all the spin.

Having already stomached the uneasy feeling of not being used in San Antonio's system the way he'd envisioned, a disastrous showing in the Western Conference finals took it over the top, along with an offseason in which San Antonio attempted to trade Aldridge. The five-time All-Star decided it was finally time to get it all off his chest, so he asked for a heart-to-heart sitdown over the summer with Popovich.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20901861/nba-lamarcus-aldridge-adjustment-spurs-enters-year-3

Fwiw, LMA came into shape this summer in very good shape. Always felt he was a bit heavier the last few years. He's definitely slimmed his frame a little, and being a contract year, hopefully he becomes the legit #2 needed next to Kawhi. Either that or his value somehow goes way up and they're able to get something back for him lol

Love has been slimming down, too. The faster pace and having to close out on shooters makes it a fundamental aspect right now for the big guys. Not to mention they need to be able to catch-and-shoot at a quicker rate. I like it. Hopefully Aldridge actually shows up. Had an opportunity to at least show he can still be a dominant player when Kawhi was out and just wasted it.

kdspurman
10-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Love has been slimming down, too. The faster pace and having to close out on shooters makes it a fundamental aspect right now for the big guys. Not to mention they need to be able to catch-and-shoot at a quicker rate. I like it. Hopefully Aldridge actually shows up. Had an opportunity to at least show he can still be a dominant player when Kawhi was out and just wasted it.

Yea. In fairness GS definitely keyed in on him and Patty, but he just lacked the aggression and fire 1 would've liked.

But yea I noticed Love too slimming down. Agreed, you kinda have to be mobile enough on the court now.

IndyRealist
10-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Where did Lee go? I liked him in SA.

R. Johnson#3
10-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Here's an idea.

LMA for JV, Lucas Nogueira and a 1st

Salaries have a difference below 3 mil. Spurs get 2 C's. One to start and one for the bench along with a pick in the 20's.

kdspurman
10-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Where did Lee go? I liked him in SA.

Me too.. he declined his option and unsigned to my knowledge. Really liked what he brought to the team

Scoots
10-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Me too.. he declined his option and unsigned to my knowledge. Really liked what he brought to the team

He's got his issues, but he's smart and knows how to play and move the ball.

As far as I know he's unsigned. Maybe waiting for a contender to lose a big to injury?

kdspurman
10-05-2017, 10:07 PM
He's got his issues, but he's smart and knows how to play and move the ball.

As far as I know he's unsigned. Maybe waiting for a contender to lose a big to injury?

Probably. He was injured in the WCF too so I'm not sure how his recovery process has been either

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Kurt Helin‏*
@basketballtalk
Following

More
LaMarcus Aldridge confirms he has been unhappy with the*Spurs...

kdspurman
10-06-2017, 09:30 AM

You miss my post on page 1? :)

I posted the article on this w/LMA & Pop having a heart to heart this summer

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Still a unhappy heart to heart doesn't mean much. Pops should of traded him when stars were on the move. Now probably wont get full value. Or just ride it out and hope for the best.

kdspurman
10-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Still a unhappy heart to heart doesn't mean much. Pops should of traded him when stars were on the move. Now probably wont get full value. Or just ride it out and hope for the best.

I mean him not opening up and sharing how he felt with Pop for over a year, and not playing like he's capable wasn't going to get full value anyway. (They did try and move him but just couldn't make it work) Him coming into camp in better shape, motivated, with a clear head? Who knows maybe they can deal him mid-way through and get better value than they would've before.

I personally don't think they move him, but it's possible, especially if he starts playing at a higher level

Chronz
10-06-2017, 01:07 PM
This year they suck to the tune of 49 wins....

kdspurman
10-06-2017, 01:25 PM
This year they suck to the tune of 49 wins....

I don't think that 50 win streak ends just yet.. ;)

FlashBolt
10-06-2017, 01:41 PM
You miss my post on page 1? :)

I posted the article on this w/LMA & Pop having a heart to heart this summer

I think LMA just wants to pump stats up on a losing team. With Portland, no one really had much expectations to win it but with Spurs, you're expected to perform at all times. LMA seems more like Dwight Howard in terms of how much he cares about winning than Tim Duncan. Watching him play vs the Warriors and show zero resistance to them was all I needed to see that this wasn't going to work out. It's not even about the system because a guy like Pau has done so well for the Spurs but no one talks about how he is fitting in.

kdspurman
10-06-2017, 01:46 PM
I think LMA just wants to pump stats up on a losing team. With Portland, no one really had much expectations to win it but with Spurs, you're expected to perform at all times. LMA seems more like Dwight Howard in terms of how much he cares about winning than Tim Duncan. Watching him play vs the Warriors and show zero resistance to them was all I needed to see that this wasn't going to work out. It's not even about the system because a guy like Pau has done so well for the Spurs but no one talks about how he is fitting in.

That's what it seems like... I just hope he can buy in. The guy got farther in his career than he's been, and he's unhappy.

I think Pop will make a little adjustment to get him the ball a little more in his sweet spots, but some of it is on him. He lacked aggression, especially having so much of a size advantage. Contract year for him, he can't be as timid if he wants, if not for SA then at least for himself and his future elsewhere

mrblisterdundee
10-06-2017, 01:54 PM
This might be the first season in 20 years the Spurs don't win 50 games. Kawhi's return date is still unknown. He's basically their only star. The perennially underwhelming LaMarcus is unhappy. Will he be able to keep the Spurs playing at a high level? I doubt it.
Add to that how much tougher the western conference is this year, and the Spurs look to be falling this season. Unfortunately, they're not bad enough to take advantage of the last year of tanking.

Scoots
10-06-2017, 02:21 PM
I mean him not opening up and sharing how he felt with Pop for over a year, and not playing like he's capable wasn't going to get full value anyway. (They did try and move him but just couldn't make it work) Him coming into camp in better shape, motivated, with a clear head? Who knows maybe they can deal him mid-way through and get better value than they would've before.

I personally don't think they move him, but it's possible, especially if he starts playing at a higher level

Pop is a good communicator, but only if the player wants to talk. Not sure how Pop let it get that far, but now maybe Pop can explain why playing the way he wants is good for LMA ... it certainly hasn't worked with him from anyone else. It's funny as this was my biggest concern with LMA going to the Spurs ... he's been about the drama and the spotlight for years, and he was never going to be THE guy with the Spurs.

SoulBrotha
10-06-2017, 03:11 PM
This guy is weird. He wants to be the guy but when the opportunity came when Lenard got hurt he missed turn around fall away jump shot after shot. Really feel bad for the spurs on this one because now their stuck with a walking headcase

FlashBolt
10-06-2017, 09:10 PM
This guy is weird. He wants to be the guy but when the opportunity came when Lenard got hurt he missed turn around fall away jump shot after shot. Really feel bad for the spurs on this one because now their stuck with a walking headcase

He'll opt out next season so it's only for a year. Let's see if he gets his head straightened out and just plays Spurs basketball. It ain't easy playing for Pop but that's on LMA to understand before he signed there.

FlashBolt
10-06-2017, 09:12 PM
This might be the first season in 20 years the Spurs don't win 50 games. Kawhi's return date is still unknown. He's basically their only star. The perennially underwhelming LaMarcus is unhappy. Will he be able to keep the Spurs playing at a high level? I doubt it.
Add to that how much tougher the western conference is this year, and the Spurs look to be falling this season. Unfortunately, they're not bad enough to take advantage of the last year of tanking.

With how tough the West is, it's a valid reason. I'm convinced Pop could lead the Spurs to at least 45 wins without Kawhi for the entire season in any other season. But they should get it if Rudy is healthy.

Chronz
10-06-2017, 09:45 PM

They're relying on a few too many unproven players and guys like Pau/Green who are entering the decline stages of their 30's. What are the odds that TP/Gay return to form, Pau has a resurgent year with his slimmed down physique, and Kawhi steps it up another notch? Can Pop get more from LMA who seems intent on dominating the ball more.

Patty and Murray are their big determinants this year IMO

kdspurman
10-06-2017, 10:34 PM

Kawhi is missing the pre-season, so the expected return date is game 1, to this point.

WaDe03
10-07-2017, 12:28 PM
He should've taken the MLE for a season in Miami like Riley asked him too then got paid to stay. Could've won a championship.

Dragic
Wade
Joe/Deng
LMA
Whiteside

Vee-Rex
10-07-2017, 02:06 PM
I hear players at or around 30 are encouraged to slim down more to compensate for slower limbs and for injury resistance. The heavier you are, the more strain there is on your body, limbs and all.

smith&wesson
10-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Trade LA trade LA.. that's what pops should be asking his gm