PDA

View Full Version : GM Survey: Warriors champs, LeBron MVP

mrblisterdundee
10-04-2017, 01:48 PM
The NBA recently released its annual GM survey. The site was down when I last checked, but ESPN wrote an article about the survey. Some results, like the Warriors being favorites, were expected. But some others were surprising, such as the fall of Westbrook from the MVP conversation:

Fifty percent of GMs who voted in the survey say Cleveland's LeBron James will win the MVP. Russell Westbrook, last year's MVP, wasn't one of the top five vote-getters in this year's survey, which is likely a reflection of the Oklahoma City Thunder adding fellow All-Stars Paul George and Carmelo Anthony.
In addition to winning this season's MVP category, James was voted by GMs as the league's best passer, best leader, toughest to plan for, best small forward (and second-best power forward), most versatile and the player with the highest IQ.
Other categories of interest: 29 percent of NBA GMs voted for Minnesota's Karl-Anthony Towns as the player they'd pick today to build a franchise around. Towns led the category for the second consecutive season. Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo was voted second, receiving 21 percent of the vote.
Towns also won the voting in the "most likely to have a breakout season" category, receiving 21 percent of the voting. New York's Kristaps Porzingis and Indiana's Myles Turner tied for second in the voting (14 percent).
- Ian Begley, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20912906/nba-gm-survey-predicts-golden-state-warriors-repeat-champions)

warfelg
10-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Just a reminder they picked Kris Dunn as the 2016/17 pre season ROY.

Jahlil Okafor as the 2015/16 Preseason ROY.

Hawkeye15
10-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Just a reminder they picked Kris Dunn as the 2016/17 pre season ROY.

Jahlil Okafor as the 2015/16 Preseason ROY.

yeah these are fun reading pieces only.

zn23
10-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Some curious things that stood out:

It seems like none of the GMs have ever heard of Lauri Markkanen. I mean he only dominated Eurobasket and basically carried Finland. They're highly overrated Lonzo Ball. Markkanen will be the better pro, and have a better career. I guess dominating Summer League against bums who won't get to play is more impressive than dominating against top European talent.

Also, how is Marc Gasol ranked higher than Jokic as a center, but Jokic is ranked higher as International player? If Jokic is ranked as the better international player, and they play the same position, he should have higher votes than Gasol for for center as well.

Also, Jamal Crawford is way past his prime and does not make the impact they think he does.

What I found most interesting was the last question of what rules need to change:

1. Playoff seeding Ė 27%

2. Draft Lottery odds/system Ė 21%

3. Draft combine (timing, medical testing, etc.) Ė 11%

4. Advance-the-ball rule Ė 7%

Also receiving votes:Enforce discontinued dribble; Adopt FIBA goaltending/basket interference rules; Fouls on flailing jump-shots; Intentional fouls; Minimum age; National TV schedule (more balanced); No max contracts; Reduce replay; Revenue sharing; Schedule

I'm guessing the Western Conference GMs all voted for no.1 because of how lop-sided the conferences have become.

Lottery system that's in place is as good as it gets. They could have it like the NFL where last place team automatically gets the no.1 pick. But the truth is, you just can't change that. I know SVG proposed eliminating the draft, that would destroy any chance small market teams have to get top draft prospects.

Don't really know about 3 and 4.

But it's also interesting that they want there were votes for 'Adopt FIBA goaltending/basket interference rules'. Love that rule.

Scoots
10-04-2017, 05:48 PM
93% Warriors win the title is shocking.

LeBron the MVP favorite seems unlikely. I think they are predicting he's going to play mad and all out during the regular season ... I doubt it. But without IT maybe it does happen. We'll see.

Westbrook getting less than half the support at PG that Curry got is a little surprising.

The PF voting tells how weak that position is when 2 of the top 3 are small forwards and the #1 played center more in his career than PF.

Pop is slipping ... he lost 1% from 83% to 82%.

valade16
10-04-2017, 05:58 PM
93% Warriors win the title is shocking.

LeBron the MVP favorite seems unlikely. I think they are predicting he's going to play mad and all out during the regular season ... I doubt it. But without IT maybe it does happen. We'll see.

Westbrook getting less than half the support at PG that Curry got is a little surprising.

The PF voting tells how weak that position is when 2 of the top 3 are small forwards and the #1 played center more in his career than PF.

Pop is slipping ... he lost 1% from 83% to 82%.

Really? I read that as "7% of NBA GMs are idiots"

HandsOnTheWheel
10-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Lol "shocking".

tredigs
10-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Really? I read that as "7% of NBA GMs are idiots"

That was Myers'/Warriors vote. Can't choose your own team/players.

'Bron has been the GM's predicted MVP every year they've done this now (well at least the 8 years they've done player predictions). I'd be curious how many GM's actually do the voting, and how many are done by assistants.

The "if you were starting a franchise today and could sign anyone in the NBA, who would it be?" is the most interesting question on the GM Survey IMO as it is the most in line with their actual operations. In 14/15 it went Bron > AD > KD. In 15/16 it was AD as the runaway huge favorite at 87% of the votes. James and KD sharing 13%. Last year KAT was the big favorite followed by 'Bron, KD and then Curry. And now it's KAT followed by Giannis. Seems AD has fallen out of favor of the GM's from their huge expectations. I would tend to agree with that assessment.

valade16
10-04-2017, 06:46 PM
That was Myers'/Warriors vote. Can't choose your own team/players.

'Bron has been the GM's predicted MVP every year they've done this now (well at least the 8 years they've done player predictions). I'd be curious how many GM's actually do the voting, and how many are done by assistants.

The "if you were starting a franchise today and could sign anyone in the NBA, who would it be?" is the most interesting question on the GM Survey IMO as it is the most in line with their actual operations. In 14/15 it went Bron > AD > KD. In 15/16 it was AD as the runaway huge favorite at 87% of the votes. James and KD sharing 13%. Last year KAT was the big favorite followed by 'Bron, KD and then Curry. And now it's KAT followed by Giannis. Seems AD has fallen out of favor of the GM's from their huge expectations. I would tend to agree with that assessment.

That explains it then lol

JordansBulls
10-04-2017, 07:02 PM
When was the last time Lebron wasn't predicted to be the MVP?

tredigs
10-04-2017, 07:10 PM
When was the last time Lebron wasn't predicted to be the MVP?

'Bron has been the GM's predicted MVP every year they've done this now (well at least the 8 years they've done player predictions).

Raps08-09 Champ
10-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Lebron not winning MVP. He will coast in the regular season like he has the past few years now then step it up in the playoffs.

tredigs
10-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Kawhi definitely has the best shot at MVP next season. No voter fatigue, least star-studded roster of the top 6 teams, top 5 player about to hit his peak. It will take injuries + an incredible performance from one of the other great players in the league to overcome him I'd imagine.

Bostonjorge
10-04-2017, 09:42 PM
If any team gets a better record then the Warriors, then a player from that team is winning MVP.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Giannis, Kawhi and Davis are the 3 best candidates IMO.

tredigs
10-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Kawhi and Davis are the 2 best candidates IMO.

Pels won't have HCA even if they do make the playoffs. Westbrook snuck in due to the historic triple double dialogue and the fantastic last week+ (capped by the game/finish of the year), but you essentially can not win MVP without HCA under normal circumstances`. He's also a borderline top-10 player when healthy (granted he could break out a bit more this year), and is often hurt, which does not help. I'd put his chances under 5% next year but who knows. Giannis in the East is a sneaky pick though. They could potentially earn HCA and his game only gets better every season (last year up to a highly efficient 23/9/5 with elite D).

Vee-Rex
10-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Prior to the start of last year's season I picked Russ to win the MVP.

This year I'm picking Kawhi.

ewing
10-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Prior to the start of last year's season I picked Russ to win the MVP.

This year I'm picking Kawhi.

I'm with ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aust
10-06-2017, 12:01 AM
Kuzma voted 2nd biggest draft steal after Dennis Smith

Aust
10-06-2017, 12:03 AM
I hope Kawhi wins MVP. I don't want Harden because of CP3, anyone from GS because the talent on that team, Lebron because the talent on that team, Westbrook because PG/Melo.

Cmon Kawhi! Or Davis, Davis would be cool too.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-06-2017, 12:25 AM
Award aside, I feel like LeBron is the most valuable player. He has been for a while IMO.

But I think the award is Kawai's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GREATNESS ONE
10-06-2017, 12:26 AM
Kevin Durant will win MVP. Someone had to say it.

Heediot
10-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Pelican aren't going to make the playoffs.

Nuggets-Memphis-Clippers-Jazz-Blazers all are going to have better records.

stephcurry182
10-06-2017, 11:26 AM
LeBron is the MVP for every season he plays. Its a joke that he is not. The GMs just understand that

FlashBolt
10-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Who cares about MVP anymore. It's all about who pumps up the best stats on a bad team or who is playing well on a great team. No longer has any true meaning.

Scoots
10-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Who cares about MVP anymore. It's all about who pumps up the best stats on a bad team or who is playing well on a great team. No longer has any true meaning.

Except what it does for your next contract.

tredigs
10-06-2017, 11:01 PM

What MVP's in the last 5 years do you disagree with and why?

HandsOnTheWheel
10-06-2017, 11:03 PM
Except what it does for your next contract.

Lol yup. Slap on an extra 60M to my contract pls.

Chronz
10-07-2017, 01:32 AM
What MVP's in the last 5 years do you disagree with and why?

A loaded question I'm sure

prodigy
10-07-2017, 09:18 AM
technically Lebrons the MVP every season. I'm not sure theres a guy whos more important then Lebron James to any franchise. Westbrook would be the only guy who comes close right now. But unless lebron just goes nuts im sure he will be overlooked. he's expected to dominate and take his team to the finals so he's kinda punished for it.

warfelg
10-07-2017, 10:30 AM
A loaded question I'm sure

Very loaded.

warfelg
10-07-2017, 10:31 AM
technically Lebrons the MVP every season. I'm not sure theres a guy whos more important then Lebron James to any franchise. Westbrook would be the only guy who comes close right now. But unless lebron just goes nuts im sure he will be overlooked. he's expected to dominate and take his team to the finals so he's kinda punished for it.

Yup. I say the same thing about Tom Brady. They are hands down the MVP easily, the reason they donít get more love in it is because writers think itís boring.

Has nothing to do with coasting in the reg season. LeBron is just too good. Donít @ me.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Giannis fixed his shot mechanic. He's been drilling shots left and right now. MVP!!!!!!! Also no Parker till February so Giannis will be shouldering the load most of the season. Factor in other MVP candidates like Westbrook got PG13 and Melo so he's out. Harden got CP3 so chance is he's out. Curry or Durant have a big4 so no chance. Leonard is injured for a while so that might mess his chances up. Yeah LeBron lost Irving and IT is injured so LeBron maybe has a chance yet again with only Love and Wade as the main guys. Who am I missing that has a chance?

tredigs
10-07-2017, 12:53 PM
He is objectively not the best player every reg season. Many/Most yes, definitely not every. Post season he has a better case but most years there is at least a debate. Overall though, obviously the most consistent and best player above the rest year in/out.

FlashBolt
10-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Giannis fixed his shot mechanic. He's been drilling shots left and right now. MVP!!!!!!! Also no Parker till February so Giannis will be shouldering the load most of the season. Factor in other MVP candidates like Westbrook got PG13 and Melo so he's out. Harden got CP3 so chance is he's out. Curry or Durant have a big4 so no chance. Leonard is injured for a while so that might mess his chances up. Yeah LeBron lost Irving and IT is injured so LeBron maybe has a chance yet again with only Love and Wade as the main guys. Who am I missing that has a chance?

He takes forever to shoot because he's so tall and lengthy.. that's something he just won't be able to fix. I hope he improves his shot because that's his #1 issue but I'm not sure if he can develop a better alternative.

FlashBolt
10-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Yup. I say the same thing about Tom Brady. They are hands down the MVP easily, the reason they donít get more love in it is because writers think itís boring.

Has nothing to do with coasting in the reg season. LeBron is just too good. Donít @ me.

In NFL, you can make a case Aaron Rogers or a few guys like even Cam were better than Brady. It's tough to say Tom is that much better than everyone else considering the game is literally won on two ends. I mean, the guy catching the ball is just as important as the QB. Basketball is just different to where we can realistically point at one guy like we did with Jordan and they just stood out. LeBron has been that guy for nearly a decade but he probably won't win MVP and not due to voter fatigue but because he's had it taken away from him so many years that he gave up caring about it.