PDA

View Full Version : PSD NBA All-Time Player Power Rankings: #5

HandsOnTheWheel
09-26-2017, 02:58 AM
Take into account careers (Accolades/Rings/Awards/Accomplishments/Peak/Longevity) of each of the available players and take your pick

1.) Michael Jordan
2.) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3.) Lebron James
4.) Wilt Chamberlain
5.)

Chronz
09-26-2017, 06:26 AM
Shaq 4 me. I could buy an argument for Duncan tho.

kdspurman
09-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Td

Hawkeye15
09-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Shaq here for me, but I won't argue with a Duncan selection either.

Lakers + Giants
09-26-2017, 10:32 AM
I got Duncan here but as others have stated, im fine with Shaq here too.

FlashBolt
09-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Tim here. Shaq's short period of TRUE dominance doesn't beat an established career of full dominance. Granted, Shaq's 1998-2003 years were just unstoppable but then again, Tim was arguably the best defender since he's been in the league and has been the foundation of a winning organization for nearly two decades.. also, has more rings. Even in the latter years of his career, he was one of the best rim protectors/defenders.

Shq is #6 for me, easily.

mrblisterdundee
09-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Duncan's the only guy left with 15 all-star, all-NBA, and all-defensive team selections. He's easily the greatest power forward ever, while simultaneously being one of the best centers ever.
This could have been O'Neal, had he committed himself more. I remember listening a podcast involving someone close to Shaquille saying he purposely chose to have more stardom outside of basketball, even knowing it would effect how great he could be on the court. Managing his weight better would have also extended his prime. Even then, he's the most physically imposing player ever.

FlashBolt
09-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Duncan's the only guy left with 15 all-star, all-NBA, and all-defensive team selections. He's easily the greatest power forward ever, while simultaneously being one of the best centers ever.
This could have been O'Neal, had he committed himself more. I remember listening a podcast involving someone close to Shaquille saying he purposely chose to have more stardom outside of basketball, even knowing it would effect how great he could be on the court. Managing his weight better would have also extended his prime. Even then, he's the most physically imposing player ever.

LeBron is physically the most imposing player if we're considering the lifetime of that player.

Ebbs
09-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Bird and then Shaq for me.

More-Than-Most
09-26-2017, 03:59 PM
Duncan or Shaq... both should get back to back

HandsOnTheWheel
09-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Shaq by a slim margin over Timmy for me

Chronz
09-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Tim here. Shaq's short period of TRUE dominance doesn't beat an established career of full dominance. Granted, Shaq's 1998-2003 years were just unstoppable but then again, Tim was arguably the best defender since he's been in the league and has been the foundation of a winning organization for nearly two decades.. also, has more rings. Even in the latter years of his career, he was one of the best rim protectors/defenders.

Shq is #6 for me, easily.

So Shaq was better. You just rank longevity higher

FlashBolt
09-26-2017, 05:36 PM
So Shaq was better. You just rank longevity higher

It's not a mathematical equation but I do think Tim's longevity has to matter. I mean, T-Mac had a few amazing seasons that destroys Vince but Vince to me, should be ranked higher.

Dade County
09-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Shaq then Magic

mrblisterdundee
09-26-2017, 08:06 PM
LeBron is physically the most imposing player if we're considering the lifetime of that player.

Lifetime has nothing to do with it. We're talking about size and brute force. LeBron is the most physically impressive player ever. But prime Shaq would manhandle him and everyone else on the block.

YAALREADYKNO
09-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Shaq or magic

Chronz
09-28-2017, 09:07 PM
It's not a mathematical equation but I do think Tim's longevity has to matter. I mean, T-Mac had a few amazing seasons that destroys Vince but Vince to me, should be ranked higher.

That's taking it too far man, Vince is a zero time first teamer, one time 2nd and 3rd team vs 2, 3, 2 for the Mac. He also led his team to the playoffs far more often, played better when he got there (this was arguably true in their first series together too). But Vince ranks higher because he had some role playing years? That's like ranking Fisher above cp3 if cp3 only played 1 year or something. That's foul

FlashBolt
09-28-2017, 11:53 PM
That's taking it too far man, Vince is a zero time first teamer, one time 2nd and 3rd team vs 2, 3, 2 for the Mac. He also led his team to the playoffs far more often, played better when he got there (this was arguably true in their first series together too). But Vince ranks higher because he had some role playing years? That's like ranking Fisher above cp3 if cp3 only played 1 year or something. That's foul

It's close enough to where Vince's longevity and prolonged durability pushes him past T-Mac. I already went over T-Mac having better seasons but if we're being fair, Vince just had the better overall career. I place a lot of emphasis on longevity because we give way too much credit to guys who have those few elite seasons and then try to rank them over guys who have been healthy and produced comparable or if not, better output. Are we going to sit here and act like LeBron being healthy at ALL times isn't a trait that counts for anything?

Vinsanity115
09-29-2017, 12:53 AM
Bird here.

JAZZNC
09-29-2017, 05:40 AM
Duncan. The longevity, ability to play both ends of the court at a high level the entire time, accolades, success through completely different offensive systems and a myriad of players, and it's not a fluke that soooo many guys panned out and became great NBA players next to him. I take him every day over Shaq.

Vee-Rex
09-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Why is the poll closed with Shaq and Duncan at 8 each?

I wanted to put my vote in for Duncan.

tredigs
09-29-2017, 12:58 PM
I did not vote but if those are the two then it is Duncan > Shaq on an All Time list.

kdspurman
09-29-2017, 01:00 PM
I've seen 3 more votes for TD that aren't accounted for. Can add them or have a tie breaker thread

HandsOnTheWheel
09-29-2017, 02:40 PM
I've seen 3 more votes for TD that aren't accounted for. Can add them or have a tie breaker thread

Yes add them. Duncan wins here.

kdspurman
09-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Yes add them. Duncan wins here.

All set

Chronz
09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
It's close enough to where Vince's longevity and prolonged durability pushes him past T-Mac. I already went over T-Mac having better seasons but if we're being fair, Vince just had the better overall career. I place a lot of emphasis on longevity because we give way too much credit to guys who have those few elite seasons and then try to rank them over guys who have been healthy and produced comparable or if not, better output. Are we going to sit here and act like LeBron being healthy at ALL times isn't a trait that counts for anything?

Its unfair to say the clearly superior player goes down with the inferior legacy because the other guy had some role player years. I don't see how it's close enough given the facts in the post above. Tmac has as many all NBA 1st team selections than vc has overall so you would really have to define longevity or what seasons you're assessing because I don't see the argument.

Chronz
09-29-2017, 03:16 PM
Tie breaking thread is necessary

HandsOnTheWheel
09-29-2017, 03:29 PM
On second thought lets do a tiebreaker. Poll was open for 3 days, officially ended in a tie, why not. Still think TD wins anyways but it'll be interesting.

tredigs
09-29-2017, 04:07 PM
On second thought lets do a tiebreaker. Poll was open for 3 days, officially ended in a tie, why not. Still think TD wins anyways but it'll be interesting.

Sounds good. We might even make it to #8 before the season starts ; )

FlashBolt
09-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Its unfair to say the clearly superior player goes down with the inferior legacy because the other guy had some role player years. I don't see how it's close enough given the facts in the post above. Tmac has as many all NBA 1st team selections than vc has overall so you would really have to define longevity or what seasons you're assessing because I don't see the argument.

Making an All-NBA team isn't the end all, be all. How many guys today get cut from ASG and All-NBA teams? is that how we define how great a player truly is? Who's to say that X player is better because he got a few more arbitrary votes to get into the All-NBA team?

Chronz
09-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Making an All-NBA team isn't the end all, be all. How many guys today get cut from ASG and All-NBA teams? is that how we define how great a player truly is? Who's to say that X player is better because he got a few more arbitrary votes to get into the All-NBA team?

That would be a great point, if not for the fact that by any objective measure, tmac remains the same superior player. I could use a plethora of barometers but I think all NBA is the simplest way to show just how little vince reached that level. By all means tho point out the specific seasons, its the only fair way. I think you'll find you either underestimate tmacs longevity or you selectively overstate longevity

Chronz
09-29-2017, 07:13 PM

Rename it tie breaker to draw intrigue. We may nab a Lakers fan

FlashBolt
09-29-2017, 07:59 PM
That would be a great point, if not for the fact that by any objective measure, tmac remains the same superior player. I could use a plethora of barometers but I think all NBA is the simplest way to show just how little vince reached that level. By all means tho point out the specific seasons, its the only fair way. I think you'll find you either underestimate tmacs longevity or you selectively overstate longevity

The more plausible scenario is that you're a bit too biased with T-Mac.