PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp and Preseason 2017

daleja424
09-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Training camp opens Tuesday 9/26/17. Pre-season schedule is posted below, and surprise... 5 of the 6 HEAT Preseason games will be covered by SunSports!!!

http://i65.tinypic.com/117wvfl.jpg

AllBall
09-25-2017, 04:29 PM
FYI, open to public Training Camp scrimmage at FAU this Saturday, September 30th.

Can't believe first pre-season game is this Sunday!! :D

AllBall
09-27-2017, 02:16 PM

Nice!

Dade County
10-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Things that I am looking forward in seeing....

When Whiteside gets into foul trouble, will Bam be able to fill in effectively (blocking shots, easy finishes); because if he can that puts us in a very good position defensively all year long. So we won't really get that mad when the refs call BS calls on Whiteside to take him out of the game.

Winslow... Just trying to see if he developed other parts of his offensive game. If he can't shoot, theres nothing we can do about it, but if he worked on finishing at the rim, making a timely pass for an easy score, maybe being another ball handler option on the fast break; I can live with that.

beasted86
10-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Yesterday in the scrimmage, Winslow didn't look good shooting. Air-ball 3 and other bad misses from outside and finishing at the rim.

But then again Whiteside looked poor as well.

I expect Waiters and Richardson to hit the ground running. Both looked in good shape.

beasted86
10-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Headed to the game tonight also, hope I can see something that gives me hope for the wing position, but so far Winslow isn't the starter we need. J-Rich and even McGruder have him beat for the starting spot.

Dade County
10-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Highlight against Atl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLFc4EK9ZM

Starting lineup
Dragic
Waiters
McGruder
JJ
Whiteside

Winslow 23min, 6pts, 3blk
Bam 6min, 1-8FT, 1pt

All-In
10-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Mcgruder looked good today.....If he continues making 3s he'll be starting over Winslow

All-In
10-02-2017, 01:51 AM
It feels like Bam probably wont get much playing time unless theres injuries.....The front court rotation seems like Whiteside/Johnson starting and Olynyk/Winslow off the bench, which makes sense if Winslow isn't making threes pair him with Olynyk

The Olynyk/Johnson frontcourt will be something to monitor too since their both skilled bigs, could be good offensively if we put shooters with them

Our defense is ready made but our offense has some work to do

And we need to start making free throws for christ sakes

AllBall
10-02-2017, 09:57 AM
I was under the impression that Olynyk is starting. Looks like that's what the Heat offered to him.

Based on the perspective of Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens, the Heat may have invested $50 million in a backup big man when it comes to Kelly Olynyk. Not, Stevens said, because of shortcomings, but rather versatility. "Kelly Olynyk easily could have been a starter the last few years, but he was so unique as a backup big," Stevens told the Boston Herald. "He could be very unique and very good as a starter, too. But for us, it just gave us a different dimension when he went into the game." The Heat's decision at power forward figures to come down to James Johnson or Olynyk, who also is expected to receive extensive minutes at center.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-ira-nba-column-20170930-story.html

Also, why would you move JJ to start if the second unit killed it with him coming off the bench? If it ain't broke...

All-In
10-02-2017, 07:23 PM
I was under the impression that Olynyk is starting. Looks like that's what the Heat offered to him.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-ira-nba-column-20170930-story.html

Also, why would you move JJ to start if the second unit killed it with him coming off the bench? If it ain't broke...

We can only assume at this point and since JJ started the first preseason game thats all we have to go off of

Spo likes to tinker around with lineups so he might start Winslow next preseason game then start Olynyk the next after that just to see what he likes

Nothing is set in stone as of now so we'll see next game

AllBall
10-02-2017, 11:26 PM
We can only assume at this point and since JJ started the first preseason game thats all we have to go off of

Spo likes to tinker around with lineups so he might start Winslow next preseason game then start Olynyk the next after that just to see what he likes

Nothing is set in stone as of now so we'll see next game

True, Spo did joke around and said he may throw and all forward lineup out there and make teams adjust to us. :laugh2: I wanna see that one happen! haha

All-In
10-03-2017, 06:38 AM
True, Spo did joke around and said he may throw and all forward lineup out there and make teams adjust to us. :laugh2: I wanna see that one happen! haha

Mcgruder, Winslow, White, JJ, Olynyk....Anything is possible haha

The battle to be starting SF will be an interesting one too....Mcgruder has the edge with JRich on his heels and Winslow having a slight chance too

hotdalton18
10-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Mcgruder looked good today.....If he continues making 3s he'll be starting over Winslow

Winslow isn't really in the competition...he doesn't make sense at all for the starting rotation

It's between J Rich and McGruder and if they can get away with bringing J Rich off the bench to make that unit even better they will

hotdalton18
10-03-2017, 04:52 PM
I get Bam won't be playing in regular season unless there's injuries or blow out but playing him 5 minutes in preseason is ********

All-In
10-04-2017, 12:54 AM
Winslow isn't really in the competition...he doesn't make sense at all for the starting rotation

It's between J Rich and McGruder and if they can get away with bringing J Rich off the bench to make that unit even better they will

Did you read my post right above the one you posted?

"The battle to be starting SF will be an interesting one too....Mcgruder has the edge with JRich on his heels and Winslow having a slight chance too"

And of course Winslow is in the running, he started last year and the coaching staff really likes his intangibles but hes definitely behind Mcgruder and JRich so his chances are slim

AllBall
10-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Thank goodness we have preseason to work out all the kinks. I'm glad Spo is playing with different lineup combinations. That starting lineup with Dragic/McGruder/Waiters/JJ/Whiteside is horrible. Would like to see Dragic/Richardson/Waiters/Olynk/Whiteside to start for next game.

Whiteside did good. TJ played well, I can see that the 3 ball range now comes with A LOT less effort than before, so he should be hitting that consistently without running out of gas. Winslow looking more lean and fit. Still good driving, jumpshot still missing.

Mr. Baller
10-07-2017, 09:46 AM
They wont start Olynyk with Whiteside. They want to play fast.

AllBall
10-08-2017, 01:18 AM
They wont start Olynyk with Whiteside. They want to play fast.

Well, they did it anyways. :laugh2:

All-In
10-08-2017, 02:12 AM
I know its not even the regular season yet and its only preseason but...

A concern so far is that we decided to pay roughly $11-$12.5 million a season for Olynyk while Babbitt was a better fit costing only min

Olynyk is clearly the better player and more versatile but Babbitt is a better and more consistent shooter and thats the most important aspect when considering we're a drive-and-kick team built around Dragic/Waiters as the primary ball-handlers with JJ, Winslow, JRich, TJ all to have some ball-handling duties as well

Its going to take time for Olynyk to find his role on the team but I remain skeptical....

A player that I want to take over the "Babbitt" role, start the game/half and play about 18 min per is Okaro White....His first year in the league last season he shot 35% from three, 38% from the corners and in the 35 games he played in last season we went 26-9 while he had a +8.6 net rating....He's long, strong, athletic, good defender that can switch and knows his role.....Hes not getting any consideration but I wish he was

Dragic/Waiters run a drive-and-kick style offense, with Whiteside being a rim-running space eater and White/Mcgruder 3-and-D hustle players......I just like the fit of that starting unit

Right now things to monitor:

Olynyk's integration, Winslows development and our overall three point shooting

beasted86
10-08-2017, 07:02 PM
3 point shooting is a major concern.

Like I said weeks ago, I don't expect JJ, Dragić, Ellington, Waiters, etc you have a career year simultaneously again.

Without the 3 shooting the drive lanes for Waiters and Dragić shrink down to nothing.

All-In
10-09-2017, 02:12 AM
3 point shooting is a major concern.

Like I said weeks ago, I don't expect JJ, Dragić, Ellington, Waiters, etc you have a career year simultaneously again.

Without the 3 shooting the drive lanes for Waiters and Dragić shrink down to nothing.

Yep

Thats why the loss of Babbitt could hurt us greatly, but its still too early of course, hopefully Olynyk finds his touch, he has time

Mcgruder's 3pt improvement is a breath of fresh air, hopefully it continues, that will for sure help..JRich and TJ seem to be shooting the ball fairly well so far too....I think White needs more playing time too, he shot well for a rookie last year....Waiters, Dragic, Ellington, JJ and Olynyk are the ones Im most worried about

We were the worst 3pt shooting team the first half of the reg season then the best 3pt shooting team the 2nd half of the reg season last year, we can't have that type of volatility this year

AllBall
10-09-2017, 10:40 AM
I know its not even the regular season yet and its only preseason but...

A concern so far is that we decided to pay roughly $11-$12.5 million a season for Olynyk while Babbitt was a better fit costing only min

Olynyk is better than Babbit. Since he's the only new guy, it's going to take a bit. As far as the money, what the Heat did with all the contracts was setup the amounts to match what is currently the leauge standard. Don't think of it in millions, but as % of salary cap. It also makes it easier to move players 1:1 because the contracts match up. More flexibility this way.

All-In
10-10-2017, 03:33 AM
Olynyk is better than Babbit. Since he's the only new guy, it's going to take a bit. As far as the money, what the Heat did with all the contracts was setup the amounts to match what is currently the leauge standard. Don't think of it in millions, but as % of salary cap. It also makes it easier to move players 1:1 because the contracts match up. More flexibility this way.

Considering the JRich extension, the TJ poison pill, the possible Winslow extension and now maybe the more than expected Mcgruder extension (hes playing SO good so far) that extra Olynyk money would have help us more off the books than on since after those deals we're going to have plenty of movable contracts anyways....We could've resigned Babbitt or even Reed on short-term (player options) low-money deals and the overall team performance would've been the same, more flexibility with that

But, all of this is mute if Olynyk plays good, which he did today starting next to Whiteside.....His 3pt shooting is still a worry of mine especially since our offensive success last year was built off of 3pt shooting but his screening, ball-handling, passing and overall offensive skill is a huge plus

And I just want to reiterate how much a breath of fresh air Mcgruder has been.....Both he and JRich deserve to start

lavilevi23
10-11-2017, 08:23 PM
I know its still just preseason and he missed a ton of time but man is Winslow struggling right now... Every time he touches the ball I cringe and expect a turnover or a stupid mistake.

All-In
10-12-2017, 11:56 PM
Its not even the regular season yet and we already have a starter out for 3-6 months.....great

lavilevi23
10-13-2017, 01:37 AM
Sucks...
Butttt we still have a bunch of players capable of producing at this same position. This basically means J-Rich is gonna start with Winslow and Ellington getting more playing time.

airfryer
10-13-2017, 01:54 AM
Looking forward to it!Amazing (http://topairfryerreviews.com/)!

All-In
10-13-2017, 02:09 AM
How the roster shapes out will be interesting too, especially since we need wing help:

Dragic/TJ
Waiters/Ellington/Matt Williams
JRich/Winslow/White/Mcgruder-IR
Olynyk/JJ/Mickey
Whiteside/Bam/Haslem

Two-Way Contract: Derrick Walton

-The last spots on the team will be down to Hammons, Mickey, Williams, Liggins....Both Hammons/Mickey contracts are guaranteed but since we need wings more I think Hammons should get cut and either Williams or Liggins makes the team

-I dont care about AJ Hammons, we should cut him, Mickey has far more upside and should get a roster spot....If you include Winslow and White we have 8 guys who are PF/C....we need wings

-So for me its down to Liggins and Williams, we can give Williams a Two-Way and sign Liggins, but I think Matt Williams' shooting will come in handy so I have him making the 15....either one is better than Hammons

All-In
10-13-2017, 02:14 AM
Sucks...
Butttt we still have a bunch of players capable of producing at this same position. This basically means J-Rich is gonna start with Winslow and Ellington getting more playing time.

Yea, JRich looks primed for a breakout year, I wouldn't be surprised if he averages 15 PPG.....TJ too, both looked great during the preseason

beasted86
10-15-2017, 06:58 PM
I'm still nervous about outside shooting heading into the season. I hope the defense can carry them until they figure it out.

AllBall
10-16-2017, 10:16 AM

Those projection systems make no sense. So they were using the preseason to determine what they believe was going to be the actual rotation? lol

All-In
10-17-2017, 12:54 AM

Those projection systems make no sense. So they were using the preseason to determine what they believe was going to be the actual rotation? lol

So we have a better a chance at winning more games...without Mcgruder? hahahaha

Mcgruder shot 44% from 3 in the preseason, was looking like a for sure starter and our best 3-and-D wing

Got to love advanced stats

All-In
10-17-2017, 01:10 AM
I'm still nervous about outside shooting heading into the season. I hope the defense can carry them until they figure it out.

We shot 28.6% from three in the preseason, if that continues we're not making the playoffs guaranteed

Im also nervous about Whiteside

His overall stats were fine but we played at a much faster pace this preseason, last season we had a pace of 97 and this preseason we were close to 106, thats a huge jump in possessions

While Whiteside was on the floor he had a net rating of -8.2 and played really bad defense for his standards....maybe it was just the preseason and he wasn't trying....IDK if we're going to keep up that pace, I doubt it but that does seem like a league wide trend so it'll be something to monitor

Olynyk, JRich, TJ and Winslow were the only players out of 18 who had a positive net rating