PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury: NBA HOF'er?

Rivera
09-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Even though I was born and raised 10 min away, the NBA HOF process is and always has been a joke

with that being said, heres an interesting case study:

Stephon Marbury

Great player that one year in GT

Dynamic player in his prime when he was in the league

Paved the way for NBA stars to play overseas

China legend

Remember this is the National Basketball HOF and not the NBA HOF

does he get in? Does being the first marquee name to go overseas and being successful put him in the Hall?

Thoughts

dhopisthename
09-16-2017, 12:23 PM
only 2 all nba's and 2 all star games. wasn't really a winner. Based on his North America achievements not even close, but the question no one can really answer is how much the voters will care about him playing in a terrible china league.

BGeer091
09-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Marbury is one of my all time favorite players. I remember the breaking news at 230am he was traded to the Knicks, and waking up my Dad because I was going nuts. I'd have taken him over Kidd and Nash. However I know that he didn't affect winning as much as them. I don't think he's a HOF

CityofTreez
09-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Stephon Chinabury must be barred from NBA HoF

GREATNESS ONE
09-16-2017, 04:15 PM
StarBury isn't a HOF.

Rivera
09-16-2017, 04:52 PM
With how WEAK the standards are for the NBA HOF, him being the first "star" to go over seas and make a name for himself and pave the way for other NBA stars to use overseas ball to get back in the league as well as using China for a global expansion brand. Because of how week the standards are, I really think he has a chance to make the NBA HOF

jaydubb
09-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Don't act like you guys didn't buy a pair of those shoes..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JasonJohnHorn
09-16-2017, 05:50 PM
If one were to say yes, it would hinge, for me, on a combination of the international play, and his ability to eat vaseline.

I mean, how many players were eating vaseline before him? No... it's a wall that's been broken.

Seriously... his international play was not 'unique' (guys like Nique and Rodman and a host of others have done that), however, he branched more into China as an emerging market.

As an NBA player strictly, I'd say no. You need more than a few All-Star games (something uniquely different qualifies, like Horry's 7 titles and big shots) to make the HOF.

And the thing that kills me is how much BETTER Phoenix and NJ got when he (an All-Star PG) was replaced by Nash and Kidd. I mean... lottery team to contender good.

Even if you take an significantly better All-Star and put him on a team in place of an All-Star, it should likely got from lottery to playoffs, or from first-round exit, to playoff run. With him, it was lottery to contention.

He was a great talent, for sure, and in his prime, he could get guys back peddling, but his efficiency was low.

I respect his approach to marketing (fawk your brand: make shoes kids can afford) and his venture into China was a trend-establishing approach that has actually helped some guys get back into the NBA. If that was the reason... I wouldn't argue.

For his NBA career alone? No. Absolutely not.

Raps08-09 Champ
09-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Lol.

PowerHouse
09-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Paved the way for washed up NBA former stars to play overseas

Well not really, that's been going on for a while now.

Does being the first marquee name to go overseas and being successful put him in the Hall?

The Chinese hall, sure. But in the NBA he was just a guy holding his team back from their full potential. Plus he wasn't even the biggest marquee name to start playing overseas in 2010. So did Allen Iverson.

Meth
09-16-2017, 08:50 PM
NBA Hall of Fame? No

BASKETBALL Hall of Fame? Yes

Rivera
09-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Does being the first marquee name to go overseas and being successful put him in the Hall?

The Chinese hall, sure. But in the NBA he was just a guy holding his team back from their full potential. Plus he wasn't even the biggest marquee name to start playing overseas in 2010. So did Allen Iverson.[/QUOTE]

It's not the NBA HOF. It's the National basketball Hall of Fame. Marbury has had an impact in the game globally

GoferKing_
09-17-2017, 04:51 AM
I am the best basketball player in my Backyard League. I hold every record possible, am on a 12 year winning streak, won every championship year after year. Wher do I sign up for NBA HoF?

IKnowHoops
09-17-2017, 03:35 PM
I am the best basketball player in my Backyard League. I hold every record possible, am on a 12 year winning streak, won every championship year after year. Wher do I sign up for NBA HoF?

I want to see your league records for proof of your accomplishments.

goingfor28
09-17-2017, 11:00 PM
I'm excited to see how badly his NBA comeback attempt fails.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KnicksorBust
09-18-2017, 03:24 AM
"He has won three CBA championships with the Beijing Ducks in 2012, 2014 and 2015, and is widely considered as the greatest foreign player to ever play in the Chinese Basketball Association." - Wikipedia

Did not realize had a dynasty going overseas lmao. Good for him.

I still say no but it is not nearly as ridiculous as I initally thought.

Laker Legend42
09-18-2017, 05:50 AM
Even though I was born and raised 10 min away, the NBA HOF process is and always has been a joke

Stephon Marbury

China legend

does he get in? Does being the first marquee name to go overseas and being successful put him in the Hall?

Thoughts
First off, what does any of that have to do with how close you live to the basketball hall of fame? I am kinda jealous of that fact. Starbury won't make it in but considering the fact that it's not the NBA hall of fame but the hall for all basketball I think a case could be made for him. He became a super duper star in China.

Rivera
09-18-2017, 01:31 PM
"He has won three CBA championships with the Beijing Ducks in 2012, 2014 and 2015, and is widely considered as the greatest foreign player to ever play in the Chinese Basketball Association." - Wikipedia

Did not realize had a dynasty going overseas lmao. Good for him.

I still say no but it is not nearly as ridiculous as I initally thought.

thats what im saying! add a MVP and a movie being made about him too. The arguement isnt as ridiculous as people making it seem. ESPECIALLY with the weak standards

First off, what does any of that have to do with how close you live to the basketball hall of fame? I am kinda jealous of that fact. Starbury won't make it in but considering the fact that it's not the NBA hall of fame but the hall for all basketball I think a case could be made for him. He became a super duper star in China.

I always love to throw in my home town whenever I can because we are a small small town with basically nothing. So the fact I live close to the BBall HOF or anything that ever happens close to my area ima make it known cause i love my little city lol even though I moved to Tampa 2 years ago

Rivera
09-18-2017, 01:36 PM

First off, its not the NBA HOF. There isnt one. Its the NATIONAL basketball hall of fame. Which is why Starbury has a shot.

And Honestly, if there was some type of proof with video or stats recorded with an official body governing the backyard basketball, your probably work make the National Basketball HOF because I dont know what there standards are

I mean Christian Latennar is in the National Basketball HOF for basically his career at Duke and one memorable shot. If he gets in the National Basketball HOF, your credentials are a lock

Hawkeye15
09-18-2017, 01:44 PM
I seemingly need to point this out everytime...

it's the BASKETBALL HOF. So his college, and China contributions, will weigh just like his NBA.

But no, he shouldn't make the basketball HOF.

PowerHouse
09-18-2017, 02:01 PM
First off, its not the NBA HOF. There isnt one. Its the NATIONAL basketball hall of fame.

What is the NATIONAL basketball hall of fame anyways?

The only one Im aware of is the Naismith Memorial Hall of fame.

I mean Christian Latennar is in the National Basketball HOF for basically his career at Duke and one memorable shot.

Laettner is in absolutely no hall of fame except maybe the Duke hall.

TheDish87
09-20-2017, 03:56 PM
The BBall HOF is for American accomplishments so his China career is irrelevant. I do hope he comes back for one last season and then retire

TheDish87
09-20-2017, 04:00 PM
The Chinese hall, sure. But in the NBA he was just a guy holding his team back from their full potential. Plus he wasn't even the biggest marquee name to start playing overseas in 2010. So did Allen Iverson.

It's not the NBA HOF. It's the National basketball Hall of Fame. Marbury has had an impact in the game globally[/QUOTE]

you are answering your own question

LeonFSU
09-20-2017, 04:23 PM
The BBall HOF is for American accomplishments so his China career is irrelevant. I do hope he comes back for one last season and then retire

no, it's taken into account

KingPosey
09-20-2017, 06:42 PM
I think the problem is even the title of this thread specifically asks if hes an "NBA HOF'er"

FlashBolt
09-20-2017, 06:47 PM
I think the problem is even the title of this thread specifically asks if hes an "NBA HOF'er"

There's no criteria to judge that on since it doesn't exist. I mean, where do we set the benchmark?

AllBall
09-20-2017, 07:03 PM
NBA Hall of Fame? No
CBA Hall of Fame? Yes
Basketball Hall of Fame? No

Laker Legend42
09-20-2017, 10:23 PM
There is no such thing as the NBA hall of fame. There are a lot of international players in the hall of fame so that thing about the hall being for American accomplishments is completely wrong. The only thing that stops him is how the voters feel about him the person.

Vinsanity115
09-20-2017, 11:55 PM
If he makes it, it's because the Starburys. Those were nice.

TheDish87
09-21-2017, 08:48 AM
no, it's taken into account

since when? every american or former NBA player lights it up in that joke of league. it has no credibility in regard to making the HOF. I highly doubt the amiercan HOF cares about his Chinese career, nor should they.

Rivera
09-21-2017, 09:31 AM
since when? every american or former NBA player lights it up in that joke of league. it has no credibility in regard to making the HOF. I highly doubt the amiercan HOF cares about his Chinese career, nor should they.

Antonio Diaz-Miguel
Drazen Dalipagic
Kresimir Cosic
Lindsay Gaze

Some of those are coaches, some are players who never step foot on an NBA floor

TheDish87
09-21-2017, 10:58 AM
interesting but still dont thik Starburys CBA career has any type of influence. you whenn ou think Marbury you dont think HOF and when an americans best years were played in China its not going to help. i am fairly certain i can score double figures in that league

Rivera
09-21-2017, 11:02 AM
interesting but still dont thik Starburys CBA career has any type of influence. you whenn ou think Marbury you dont think HOF and when an americans best years were played in China its not going to help. i am fairly certain i can score double figures in that league

no doubt, but his impact is bigger than any nba player who went over seas and beasted. that helps him out as well. he had an impact bigger than basketball in China as well as having a mini dynasty for a basketball team. i really think he has a shot considering the low standards

TheDish87
09-21-2017, 12:12 PM
eh i thin Yaos influence is a big reason why Marbury was able to have one himself. but you arent wrong that the standards are low to get in but he as never the most liked guy in the locker room while in the NBA

bagwell368
09-21-2017, 09:13 PM
No.

Cheeks > Marbury, and he's not in the HOF - for one example of a guy that was much better.

ewing
09-22-2017, 03:03 PM
yes, they should make a statue of him frowning on the bench with a towel over his head.

LaVar Ball
09-22-2017, 03:11 PM

Stephon Marbury

China legend

Thoughts

There is no such thing as an NBA HOF.

It's called the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. If you impact on Chinese basketball and winning championships there, then certainly.

But based of his NBA Career.... Hell no!

%%%%
09-26-2017, 09:29 AM
As a Knick fan, I say no way.

Rivera
09-26-2017, 07:31 PM
There is no such thing as an NBA HOF.

It's called the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. If you impact on Chinese basketball and winning championships there, then certainly.

But based of his NBA Career.... Hell no!

thats what I said, this is not the nba HOF, there is no such thing as an NBA HOF. I used to live 10 min away from the BBall HOF. Thats the only reason I made this thread. Because the basketball HOF is about the contributions to basketball. With marburys successful college season, the buzz he had when he first came, and being the first real star to go over seas which nba players are now following suit. Marbury is a trailblazer in that sense and he had a mini dynasty in China and is having a movie made by him

to me, thats a big impact on the game and more worthy of some HOF'ers who are in there like Christian Lattnear who is in the HOF for one epic all time shot