PDA

View Full Version : Best BENCH off-season addition

Scoots
09-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Which player joined a different team's bench was the best addition to the team?

Nuggets Trey Lyles
Warriors Nick Young, Omri Casspi
Rockets Luc Mbah a Moute, Tarik Black, PJ Tucker
Clippers Sam Decker, Montrezl Harrell, Lou Williams, Willie Reed, Milos Teodosic
Grizzlies Tyreke Evans
Timberwolves Jamal Crawford
Pelicans Ian Clark
Thunder Ray Felton
Kings Vince Carter, Zach Randolph
Jazz Thabo Sefolosha, Ekpe Udoh, Jonas Jerebko

Hawks Miles Plumlee, Luke Babbitt, Marco Belinelli
Bulls Justin Holiday
Cavs Jose Calderon, Jae Crowder, Derrick Rose
Pistons Langston Galloway
Pacers A lot of changes, I have no idea who they added is not going to start and who is
Magic Aaron Afflalo
76ers Amir Johnson
Raptors CJ Miles

I'm sure I missed some players who changed teams, who are not going to start, and who will have significant roles on their new teams.

aman_13
09-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Love what the Rockets did.

CJ Miles will be starting for the Raptors.

FlashBolt
09-15-2017, 02:51 PM
I say Cavs but that's because their bench was pretty terrible. A few rookies and veterans who just took up spots and did nothing. Crowder+Rose are capable of adding 30-40 points to the team.

kdspurman
09-15-2017, 03:00 PM
Remains to be seen whether Rudy Gay comes off the bench or not, but if he does, I could see him being a real factor with that 2nd unit.

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Jae Crowder was easily the best addition imo.

Under the radar pick, Brandon Paul (BP3) joining the Spurs.

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Remains to be seen whether Rudy Gay comes off the bench or not, but if he does, I could see him being a real factor with that 2nd unit.

Forgot you all signed him. He was looking orettt good to start last season, hopefully he gets back to his ways and he sounds pretty confident that he will.

I would assume he wouldn't be starting though right? I doubt you all move LMA to C. Also, have there been any more LMA trade rumors?

kdspurman
09-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Forgot you all signed him. He was looking orettt good to start last season, hopefully he gets back to his ways and he sounds pretty confident that he will.

I would assume he wouldn't be starting though right? I doubt you all move LMA to C. Also, have there been any more LMA trade rumors?

I honestly have no idea, he's got some insight on it though obviously cause Pop shared his vision with him. I could def see them starting LMA at the 5, and have Pau be the backup big tho. We'll see tho, the need for bench scoring is there w/Simmons gone and Patty possibly starting the first few months w/TP out.

No LMA rumors, and there probably won't be any legit rumors. I'd be a little shocked if he's moved mid-season, unless of course he's balling his *** off the first couple months.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Only new players for the Bucks are our drafted rookies as in Wilson and Brown. Beasley left and Hawes was a stretch provision casualty. Jet free agent yet. Ex-Celtics James Young and Wisconsin Badger Bronson Koenig is our two way players for G-league Wisconsin Herd.

warfelg
09-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Sixers also added rookie Furkan Korkmaz. In underrated already on the roster "moves" is going to be Jerryd Bayless being healthy, TJ McConnell moving back to the bench, Dario Saric back to the bench, and NBA Champion James Michael McAdoo was added on a 2-way contract.

5ass
09-15-2017, 05:39 PM
The Magic added Simmons, Afflalo, Mack, and Speights. They have good depth IMO

MJNetsIsles
09-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Nets Demarre Carroll

Scoots
09-15-2017, 10:45 PM

You mean Crowder isn't going to start? :p

Scoots
09-15-2017, 10:54 PM
I'm looking forward to Omri Casspi, PJ Tucker, Milos Teodosic, Thabo Sefolosha, Jae Crowder, and Rudy Gay play on their new teams.

IndyRealist
09-15-2017, 11:25 PM
I love the Thabo (Jazz) and Crowder (Cavs) additions, but in terms of sheer bench value and depth, gotta go with the Rockets.

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 11:30 PM
You mean Crowder isn't going to start? :p

I believe he's going to come off the bench, especially if they get the GOAT!

IndyRealist
09-15-2017, 11:32 PM
For the Pacers: One of Cory Joseph or Darren Collison will start, the other will be the backup PG. Also added to the bench is Domatas Sabonis. The others are either rookies or don't matter.

Tbh, I might like the bench better than the starters: Joseph (probably), Lance Stephenson, Glenn Robinson III, Sabonis/TJ Leaf, Al Jefferson/Ike Anigbogu. That's a tough squad, if nothing else.

Heediot
09-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Teodosic going to bring back lob city y'all watch. Those alley oops will return, the guy is arguably the best passer in the world.

prodigy
09-16-2017, 09:48 AM
I say Cavs but that's because their bench was pretty terrible. A few rookies and veterans who just took up spots and did nothing. Crowder+Rose are capable of adding 30-40 points to the team.

He missed Jeff Green also who ya he's been MIA for some time now. But 30 is not that old and i feel on the right team he can do good things.

Heediot
09-16-2017, 10:21 AM

No one was complaining about their depth before the finals. Were they the best Bench? No, but they had an adequate bench.

Scoots
09-16-2017, 11:24 AM
No one was complaining about their depth before the finals. Were they the best Bench? No, but they had an adequate bench.

The Warriors bench wasn't a traditional bench in that their top scorer scored less than 8 per game, but they were efficient. That may change this year with Nick Young and Omri Casspi coming off the bench too. Somehow the Warriors bench may be the best in the NBA this year ... but that's another thread.

Heediot
09-16-2017, 12:50 PM
The Warriors bench wasn't a traditional bench in that their top scorer scored less than 8 per game, but they were efficient. That may change this year with Nick Young and Omri Casspi coming off the bench too. Somehow the Warriors bench may be the best in the NBA this year ... but that's another thread.

Warriors have nice depth. Cavs had a lot of pieces to work with. I don't believe people were saying the bench sucked vs. the Raps, Boston and Indy.

prodigy
09-16-2017, 01:04 PM

Its not like the big 4 will all be sitting at the same time very often. Well i guess in blowouts they will so maybe quite often, but you know what i mean lol. My point is its nice for bench players to play along side a Durant, curry, green or Thompson because of how much attention they warrant. So when ur bench guys get wide open shots or lanes on a consistent basis thats pretty nice.

BoSox47
09-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Celtics with Daniel Thies and Shane Larkin :shush:

Scoots
09-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Its not like the big 4 will all be sitting at the same time very often. Well i guess in blowouts they will so maybe quite often, but you know what i mean lol. My point is its nice for bench players to play along side a Durant, curry, green or Thompson because of how much attention they warrant. So when ur bench guys get wide open shots or lanes on a consistent basis thats pretty nice.

Hopefully the big 4 are around 30 minutes per game which leaves almost 120 minutes for Zaza and the bench.

Scoots
09-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Someone create a poll post for Best Bench 2018 thread.

mrblisterdundee
09-16-2017, 10:58 PM
Some of the best best off-season bench additions were from the draft. Bell could turn into a Draymond clone, eventually starting at center. Kuzma could eventually take the starting spot from Randle. Lou-Will could have a big season as sixth man for the Clippers.

Heediot
09-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Some of the best best off-season bench additions were from the draft. Bell could turn into a Draymond clone, eventually starting at center. Kuzma could eventually take the starting spot from Randle. Lou-Will could have a big season as sixth man for the Clippers.

Bell is more of an athlete and Draymond a ball handler and passer.

prodigy
09-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Hopefully the big 4 are around 30 minutes per game which leaves almost 120 minutes for Zaza and the bench.

I sure hope you got better bench players then ZaZa lol. then again he can just cheap shot star players so he might be key lol.

Also I think 30min is wishful thinking because the West is so much better. Its hard to see the Warriors blowing out spurs, thunder, rockets, Wolves etc... But still crap teams like Lakers so maybe.

prodigy
09-17-2017, 09:12 AM

For the Cavs Kay Felder could become the new Irving and I could become the next Lebron...

XshaqattackX
09-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Teodosic going to bring back lob city y'all watch. Those alley oops will return, the guy is arguably the best passer in the world.

As fun as it would be to watch lob city again it's probably not what the Clippers want due to Blake Griffin being injury prone hence why he chooses not to dunk like he used too

Scoots
09-17-2017, 03:59 PM
I sure hope you got better bench players then ZaZa lol. then again he can just cheap shot star players so he might be key lol.

Also I think 30min is wishful thinking because the West is so much better. Its hard to see the Warriors blowing out spurs, thunder, rockets, Wolves etc... But still crap teams like Lakers so maybe.

I think Zaza is likely still a starter, not coming off the bench.

Considering the Warriors added 4 players who are going to need some minutes in Bell, Jones, Casspi, and Young, as well as them wanting to get more minutes from McCaw, and from what Kerr has said they are looking to increase the productivity and the time from the bench. And the fact that Green averaged 32.5 minutes per game last year and Thompson averaged them most of the top 4 at 34 minutes, add to that that the team should be considerably better than last year in their 2nd year together and with Curry and Green having their least efficient offensive seasons last year in the last 3, they are likely to come back to the mean and improve, and the benc has improved considerably ... Aiming to get closer to 30 and free up 10 more total minutes from the "big 4" is hardly a stretch, they just have to play a lot less in the 4th quarter.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Let's just say the Warriors already.

Scoots
09-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Let's just say the Warriors already.

I don't know that they had the best bench player moved from another team.

prodigy
09-18-2017, 10:28 AM

Considering the Warriors added 4 players who are going to need some minutes in Bell, Jones, Casspi, and Young, as well as them wanting to get more minutes from McCaw, and from what Kerr has said they are looking to increase the productivity and the time from the bench. And the fact that Green averaged 32.5 minutes per game last year and Thompson averaged them most of the top 4 at 34 minutes, add to that that the team should be considerably better than last year in their 2nd year together and with Curry and Green having their least efficient offensive seasons last year in the last 3, they are likely to come back to the mean and improve, and the benc has improved considerably ... Aiming to get closer to 30 and free up 10 more total minutes from the "big 4" is hardly a stretch, they just have to play a lot less in the 4th quarter.

Dropping guys 4 plus minutes though is no easy task. Teams are building up and getting ready for them.

prodigy
09-19-2017, 02:56 PM

That's why I feel if the cavs landed Cousins with that nets pick they would beat the warriors. Warriors are a beast of a team and built GREAT! expect for one area. Center. Ya they can shut down Thompson, most the league can. But Boogie and Love in the front court would be insane. I don't see how the warriors can stop that. I could see Cousins avg 30 easy for the series.

Scoots
09-19-2017, 10:43 PM
That's why I feel if the cavs landed Cousins with that nets pick they would beat the warriors. Warriors are a beast of a team and built GREAT! expect for one area. Center. Ya they can shut down Thompson, most the league can. But Boogie and Love in the front court would be insane. I don't see how the warriors can stop that. I could see Cousins avg 30 easy for the series.

Yeah, at that point the Warriors would go into games saying they've got 36 fouls to use at that position, and they'd want those fouls to be hard.

prodigy
09-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Yeah, at that point the Warriors would go into games saying they've got 36 fouls to use at that position, and they'd want those fouls to be hard.

Boogie is tougher then anyone Warriors could throw at him. Best bet would be to have Boogie go Green and lose his cool maybe get tossed. Not sure lebron would let that happen though.

Scoots
09-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Boogie is tougher then anyone Warriors could throw at him. Best bet would be to have Boogie go Green and lose his cool maybe get tossed. Not sure lebron would let that happen though.

I don't think Boogie is "tougher" than Zaza or David West ... but he's FAR more athletic than they are. It would be tough to beat the Cavs with Boogie for sure though. I would really like to see Cousins on a good team to see if his efficiency would reflect his talent or not.

WaDe03
09-20-2017, 02:23 PM
I don't think Boogie is "tougher" than Zaza or David West ... but he's FAR more athletic than they are. It would be tough to beat the Cavs with Boogie for sure though. I would really like to see Cousins on a good team to see if his efficiency would reflect his talent or not.

IT/Rose
Wade/JR
LeBron/Korver
Love/Crowder
Cousins/TT

They're coming for you.

prodigy
09-22-2017, 10:44 AM
IT/Rose
Wade/JR
LeBron/Korver
Love/Crowder
Cousins/TT

They're coming for you.

Thats sick lol.

mightybosstone
09-22-2017, 01:14 PM
Homer pick: PJ Tucker. I've been a fan of his since he was at UT, and I see him providing a lot of the heart and hustle lost when Beverley got traded. He also gives the Rockets so much more versatility defensively. He, Ariza and Mbah a Moute gives the Rockets one of the best core of perimeter defenders in the league.

Non-homer pick: Jae Crowder. The Cavs needed defense, and Crowder should really help them in that regard. And the fact that he's actually an excellent 3-point shooter means he won't be a liability on offense like Shumpert tends to be. Should the Cavs get to the Finals again, Crowder could be a really big piece for them to trying to bring down the Warriors.

mightybosstone
09-22-2017, 01:15 PM
IT/Rose
Wade/JR
LeBron/Korver
Love/Crowder
Cousins/TT

They're coming for you.

How are they going to get Cousins, but keep all the other guys here? I don't see a scenario where this could be possible.

WaDe03
09-22-2017, 01:26 PM
How are they going to get Cousins, but keep all the other guys here? I don't see a scenario where this could be possible.

Pelicans disappoint again, signs leading to an unhappy boogie and departure, Cavs offer Shump Frye and the Nets pick allowing the Pelicans to trade for a different all star or draft Bagley Porter or Doncic.

mightybosstone
09-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Pelicans disappoint again, signs leading to an unhappy boogie and departure, Cavs offer Shump Frye and the Nets pick allowing the Pelicans to trade for a different all star or draft Bagley Porter or Doncic.

See, the problem with this is that the Nets pick is really the only above average trade chip the Cavs have outside of dealing Love or Lebron. Cousins is worth more than any package the Cavs could likely offer outside of dealing that pick or one of their star players. But on the flip side, I don't think half a year of Cousins is remotely worth that Nets pick either considering he's about to be a free agent.

That's why I don't see these two teams as good trade partners. Cleveland would be stupid to deal the Nets pick for Cousins, and New Orleans would be stupid to take any offer from them that doesn't include that pick.

WaDe03
09-22-2017, 01:48 PM
See, the problem with this is that the Nets pick is really the only above average trade chip the Cavs have outside of dealing Love or Lebron. Cousins is worth more than any package the Cavs could likely offer outside of dealing that pick or one of their star players. But on the flip side, I don't think half a year of Cousins is remotely worth that Nets pick either considering he's about to be a free agent.

That's why I don't see these two teams as good trade partners. Cleveland would be stupid to deal the Nets pick for Cousins, and New Orleans would be stupid to take any offer from them that doesn't include that pick.

Would be risky for Cleveland but if they win the championship it would be worth it wouldn't it?

Obviously this isn't the only trade they could do, they have many options with the pick now.

ewing
09-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Homer pick: PJ Tucker. I've been a fan of his since he was at UT, and I see him providing a lot of the heart and hustle lost when Beverley got traded. He also gives the Rockets so much more versatility defensively. He, Ariza and Mbah a Moute gives the Rockets one of the best core of perimeter defenders in the league.

Non-homer pick: Jae Crowder. The Cavs needed defense, and Crowder should really help them in that regard. And the fact that he's actually an excellent 3-point shooter means he won't be a liability on offense like Shumpert tends to be. Should the Cavs get to the Finals again, Crowder could be a really big piece for them to trying to bring down the Warriors.

I like Tucker and Mbah a Moute. saying the Rockets picked up some damn good role guys isn't a homer pick to me.

Scoots
09-22-2017, 06:37 PM
PJ is probably the one.

WaDe03
09-22-2017, 07:51 PM
PJ is probably the one.

You think he's better than Jae?

Scoots
09-23-2017, 09:21 AM
You think he's better than Jae?

I think Jae's natural position is played by someone who is going to play a lot of minutes. I think PJ's aggressiveness is going to make a bigger difference on his new team than Jae's shooting will on his. But it's close ... we'll have to see.

IndyRealist
09-23-2017, 10:55 AM
I think Jae's natural position is played by someone who is going to play a lot of minutes. I think PJ's aggressiveness is going to make a bigger difference on his new team than Jae's shooting will on his. But it's close ... we'll have to see.

I'd counter by saying that Jae gives them the flexibility to go small, which was by far their better lineups during the playoffs, without having to put less effective players on the floor just to fill the space. I think you'll see a lot of Lebron at 4 and Jae at 3.

mightybosstone
09-23-2017, 12:06 PM
I'd counter by saying that Jae gives them the flexibility to go small, which was by far their better lineups during the playoffs, without having to put less effective players on the floor just to fill the space. I think you'll see a lot of Lebron at 4 and Jae at 3.

Houston will probably use Tucker for similar reasons. I can Houston playing a lot of small ball with Tucker at the 4. But as a player, I'd agree Jae has the potential to have a greater impact in Cleveland and is probably the better player overall.

prodigy
09-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Cousins isn't worth as much as you think and heres why. He's in the last year of his deal. No rebuilding team will trade for him and give up a bunch of talent for a guy who won't commit to the team. Other contenders could make a push but im not sure they could give up a better offer then Cleveland without hurting the team. also depends how the Nets play also. if they are horrible that pick gets even better.

mightybosstone
09-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Cousins isn't worth as much as you think and heres why. He's in the last year of his deal. No rebuilding team will trade for him and give up a bunch of talent for a guy who won't commit to the team. Other contenders could make a push but im not sure they could give up a better offer then Cleveland without hurting the team. also depends how the Nets play also. if they are horrible that pick gets even better.

But to deal Cousins to Cleveland, they'd have to take back some salary in return. What quality pieces does Cleveland even have that they would covet enough to do that? I can't see a scenario where they'd be willing to take on the salaries of Shumpert or Smith. Maybe they do it for Tristan Thompson? Or for Crowder plus other pieces?

prodigy
09-26-2017, 12:57 PM
But to deal Cousins to Cleveland, they'd have to take back some salary in return. What quality pieces does Cleveland even have that they would covet enough to do that? I can't see a scenario where they'd be willing to take on the salaries of Shumpert or Smith. Maybe they do it for Tristan Thompson? Or for Crowder plus other pieces?

I would be happy to include TT in any deal. Nets pick, Frye(expiring) and maybe TT. it wouldn't be to difficult for Cleveland to pull off. Unless Nets play well lol.

TheDish87
09-26-2017, 01:32 PM

if there is a team for him to break out with its the Spurs, he could give them what Simmons gave last year. I was calling for him to make the Sixers over Staus last season after pre-season. Though Sauce proved he can be useful in the end at least. But, Paul has game and i hope he shines.

Heediot
10-02-2017, 06:10 AM
As fun as it would be to watch lob city again it's probably not what the Clippers want due to Blake Griffin being injury prone hence why he chooses not to dunk like he used too

Teodosic going to make it easy for them dudes in clipper land. Only 1 pre-season game, but I've been watching the guy in europe for some time now. He'll make it easier to forget about Paul's passing.

Scoots
10-02-2017, 08:27 AM
Teodosic going to make it easy for them dudes in clipper land. Only 1 pre-season game, but I've been watching the guy in europe for some time now. He'll make it easier to forget about Paul's passing.

The question isn't the passing ... it's the rest of his game that will determine how much he plays.

Heediot
10-02-2017, 01:38 PM
The question isn't the passing ... it's the rest of his game that will determine how much he plays.

Offensively I think he'll be fine. He is a better pure shooter and Passer vs. Sergio (who actually flopped imo last year and hurt Milos' stock in doing so, as teams weren't going to give up as much for an overseas PG).

Defensively though, he might be one of the worst in the league. Maybe if they play him with Beverly they can hide him on that end.

I think his overall impact should supersede that of Austin's, and hopefully Doc will see that too.

WaDe03
10-02-2017, 05:12 PM
If he's off the bench, Wade.