PDA

View Full Version : How far do the Rockets go if they get Melo?

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 09:59 AM
How far do you think this team would make it? I think it would be a very fun team to watch.

CP3/Brown
Harden/Gordon
Ariza/Mbah a Moute
Melo/Tucker
Capela/Nene

Could the give the Warriors a run for their money or maybe beat them? Do they play a team USA style of ball? Do you like my new sig?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-14-2017, 10:13 AM
What they giving up assets wise to dump Anderson? Knicks breakdown and just take Anderson or what?

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 10:29 AM
What they giving up assets wise to dump Anderson? Knicks breakdown and just take Anderson or what?

Any picks/young players plus Anderson. Maybe get a 3rd team involved. I'm just saying IF they get him how good will they be.

chi-townlove1
09-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Better than Wade could ever be. In fact Harden is better than Wade ever was.

:hide: from WaDe03

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Better than Wade could ever be. In fact Harden is better than Wade ever was.

:hide: from WaDe03

Haha stop the nonsense, he's not even close.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Why do Bulls fans hate Wade so much lol? Is it because he knocked you all out of the playoffs every year?

IndyRealist
09-14-2017, 11:09 AM
They're better without him (Melo that is, I don't know why Wade and Ball come up in every thread).

ewing
09-14-2017, 11:13 AM
I don't feel he will be a great fit in Houston. I actually think Portland would work out best for Melo

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:17 AM
I don't feel he will be a great fit in Houston. I actually think Portland would work out best for Melo

I like the mix in Houston because they could throw out a bunch of different solid defensive groups to balance out Harden and melos lack of defense.

With the Blazers I think their defense would be horrible but they would definitely be fun to watch.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:18 AM
They're better without him (Melo that is, I don't know why Wade and Ball come up in every thread).

They like to throw jabs at me.

As for Melo, why do you think they would be better? In the playoffs you need all the star power you can get, the more guys who can take over a game the better.

IndyRealist
09-14-2017, 11:20 AM
They like to throw jabs at me.

As for Melo, why do you think they would be better? In the playoffs you need all the star power you can get, the more guys who can take over a game the better.

Except Melo is not a star. He is not good. He's an average scorer who gets to take as many shots as he wants to get his ppg up.

Heediot
09-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Regular season he won't be a nice a fit as people are saying, but in the playoffs, if you have him as your 3rd option, that's pretty gold. He won't have to force his game in the playoffs as he did with the knicks. He is still a handful to guard when you need a bucket against tighter defenses. Not too many can create the looks he can against strong defenses. For me, he will be more helpful in the playoffs like Kyrie. They need to find a way to help on defense though. But Rox are better in the playoffs with him vs. Rhyno.

hugepatsfan
09-14-2017, 11:24 AM
I think Melo would be great for HOU so they can stagger playing time and rest everyone more. We talk about how with Harden/CP3 they will line up rotations so one is always on the court. If you add Melo to the mix you can make that where you have 2 of the 3 guys on the court at once for the whole game that way you have two guys that can go one on one if you need them to at all times.

The problem with Melo is that he doesn't bring anything else to the table. So in the playoffs once guys are extended and he's playing with Harden/CP3 for basically the whole game he becomes mostly just a spot up shooter since you're not going to consistently put the ball in his hands over theirs on set plays. And as a spot-up shooter Anderson is better. Melo can attack close-outs better and even though he sucks on defense I have to think he can be better than Anderson. So he'll be an improvement but with the personnel they have it'd be dumb to let him consistently run ISO and that's the only thing he really does all that well.

So basically I think he'll help them in the regular season by offering more rest for Harden/CP3 but come playoff time I think his impact will be reduced.

Heediot
09-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Except Melo is not a star. He is not good. He's an average scorer who gets to take as many shots as he wants to get his ppg up.

I think a guy like Klay will put up nice shooting pct but when defenses clamp down in the playoffs inconsistency shows. If Melo is the third option on a playoff teams coaches will be losing sleep IMO, just because of his scoring arsenal.

hugepatsfan
09-14-2017, 11:28 AM
I think a guy like Klay will put up nice shooting pct but when defenses clamp down in the playoffs inconsistency shows. If Melo is the third option on a playoff teams coaches will be losing sleep IMO, just because of his scoring arsenal.

His scoring arsenal is going one on one on a high volume of plays but being relatively inefficient at it and being a good, not great spot-up shooter. In the playoffs you're going to play top 5ish players like Harden/CP3 for 40 minutes each which is like all the game. And I can't imagine why you'd ever run a set play for Melo to go one on one with those two much better options on the floor. If he's consistently doing anything more than spot-up shooting (which again he isn't anything special at) then HOU's coaching staff are idiots.

Heediot
09-14-2017, 11:29 AM
So basically I think he'll help them in the regular season by offering more rest for Harden/CP3 but come playoff time I think his impact will be reduced.

Personally, I think it's the opposite. His touches will be less in the regular season and when defenses hedge on Paul and Harden in the post season , I think he'll make the opposition pay more then people believe. The problem might be on d, like Kyrie, so they have to find a way to help/cover him.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:29 AM

This is the main thing you have to account for. He won't be the 1st option and will have worse defenders guarding him and less defenses set for him. This makes a huge difference.

IndyRealist
09-14-2017, 11:37 AM
This is the main thing you have to account for. He won't be the 1st option and will have worse defenders guarding him and less defenses set for him. This makes a huge difference.

I don't see it. The guy who guards Harden is not the guy who guards Melo. He'll see the same defender regardless. Against the Warriors Melo will see Durant whether Harden is on the floor or not.

If he gets to Houston and dramatically improves in efficiency, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. But I don't see his 20ft iso game helping two ultra efficient guards by taking shots from them.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:39 AM

He's a top 40 player in the league. He would see a huge difference in the opposing defense and would take less but more efficient shots.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:47 AM
I don't see it. The guy who guards Harden is not the guy who guards Melo. He'll see the same defender regardless. Against the Warriors Melo will see Durant whether Harden is on the floor or not.

If he gets to Houston and dramatically improves in efficiency, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. But I don't see his 20ft iso game helping two ultra efficient guards by taking shots from them.

I think you see a lot less ISO with him playing next to 2 great playmakers in Harden and CP3. They will get him in his spots imo. He will have a lot of open looks. It's all speculation but I think we would see an upgrade to his efficiency.

You give the Durant example and I'll give you that but, is Kawhi going to guard Harden or Melo? Will Butler guard Harden or Melo? Thunder would match up well like the Warriors.

Heediot
09-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Melo's problem is shot selection. Playing with Cp3 in your ear, I think that improves. Cp and Harden will make things easier for him. If he plays smarter, his efficiency will improve. Maybe he won't force his game as much in this situation.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Another thing about Melo in Houston, he would be a matchup nightmare for some teams.

Wolves would have to guard him with Taj and Melo bullied him last year. If not Taj than Wiggins who is a bad defender.

When the Rockets roll out the CP3-Gordon-Harden-Melo-Capela lineup the thunder will have to guard him with Patterson or Kanter.

Spurs will be guarding him with LMA.

FlashBolt
09-14-2017, 12:21 PM
I'm not one to apologize for Melo's basketball ability as I think his development in the league over his career has been poor. Where we've seen LeBron and Wade transition into new roles, Melo has been the same player. A high USG% scorer who never used his talents in a better way.

On the other hand, you guys are probably foolish as hell if you don't think a 15 year old Melo wouldn't defer to Harden or CP3. He'd have the ball less but his efficiency would skyrocket.

IndyRealist
09-14-2017, 12:30 PM
I'm not one to apologize for Melo's basketball ability as I think his development in the league over his career has been poor. Where we've seen LeBron and Wade transition into new roles, Melo has been the same player. A high USG% scorer who never used his talents in a better way.

On the other hand, you guys are probably foolish as hell if you don't think a 15 year old Melo wouldn't defer to Harden or CP3. He'd have the ball less but his efficiency would skyrocket.

I wanna say it WAS Melo who was coming back from injury so came off the bench and played horribly. He said it was because he wasn't getting enough looms to get into rhythm.

There is no inverse correlation between usage and efficiency, i.e. usage curve. It's a myth.

Vee-Rex
09-14-2017, 12:34 PM
You're not gonna beat Golden State with insufficient talent. No matter how cohesive your team is, no matter how well they play perfect basketball - you need star power plus that.

Melo isn't the prototypical team basketball player and it would take some work to get him acclimated to that kind of atmosphere and it would take work to get him to contribute in multiple ways, but Houston has a better chance of beating Golden State with Melo than without. The ceiling is just simply higher, even if it turns out to not help the team as much as hoped.

It's like Blackjack. Dealer/Golden State has a J/? card. And I have a 10/6. I could STAY and take my chances, but we all know Golden State's other card is gonna be a 9 or 10. Hitting would be risky and may not get the job done at all but you're likely losing to GS without hitting.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 12:38 PM
I wanna say it WAS Melo who was coming back from injury so came off the bench and played horribly. He said it was because he wasn't getting enough looms to get into rhythm.

There is no inverse correlation between usage and efficiency, i.e. usage curve. It's a myth.

But there is a correlation when you play next to elite players and playmakers. Look at Wade who shot 55% from the field in 2014 on 1 leg with LeBron as opposed to shooting 47% the year LeBron left. Melo will hit open shots and I think he would get a lot of them.

I won't be surprised at all if Kyries shooting percentage drops.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 12:39 PM
As for the question of the thread, I think they go to the WCF and push the Warriors to 6 and yes I love my new sig.

valade16
09-14-2017, 12:44 PM
If they face SA in the 2nd Round that would be a fun series to watch, if they survive that they lose to GS in the WCF.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 12:50 PM
This could end up being a very fun playoffs in the west this year if the seeding falls like this:

1. Warriors vs 8. Pelicans
2. Rockets vs 7. Clippers
3. Spurs vs. 6. Nuggets
4. Thunder vs 5. Wolves

1. Warriors vs 4. Thunder or Wolves
2. Rockets vs 3. Spurs

1. Warriors vs 2. Rockets

IndyRealist
09-14-2017, 01:05 PM
But there is a correlation when you play next to elite players and playmakers. Look at Wade who shot 55% from the field in 2014 on 1 leg with LeBron as opposed to shooting 47% the year LeBron left. Melo will hit open shots and I think he would get a lot of them.

I won't be surprised at all if Kyries shooting percentage drops.

See, that I'll buy. But if his efficiency drops bc he doesn't get enough shots, that might well cancel out any bump he gets from Paul and Harden.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 01:20 PM
See, that I'll buy. But if his efficiency drops bc he doesn't get enough shots, that might well cancel out any bump he gets from Paul and Harden.

Maybe but I guess it depends on the way they decide to use him. Do they use him as a 3rd option or is he the 2nd scoring option? I would like to see him taking open corner 3s, open midrange looks or shots from the short corner, putting his head down and attacking the basket, and an occasional ISO here and there because they are needed throughout the course of a game.

FlashBolt
09-14-2017, 03:11 PM

I meant in terms of how he's getting the ball and how that would help him in terms of shot selection.

krazylegz
09-14-2017, 03:12 PM
answer to thread.....................ABOUT AS FAR AS IF THEY DIDNT GET MELO

XshaqattackX
09-14-2017, 03:29 PM
If Melo went to Rockets
- the Pick and Pop with Harden/Cp3 and Melo would be good. It would be hard to stop them unless teams have at least 2 great defenders guarding them.

- The best defender Butler/Leonard is most likely going to cover Harden more than Melo because he's still the greatest threat the opposing team has to contend with.

- As for defence. Not to sure about Harden lol but I could see Melo becoming an average defender because he's now conserving energy on offense. (Thought it's all about their mindset)

- I'd say Melo will become the second option because of CP3 pass first playstyle. (I still think he's one of the best scorers in the NBA. Not to sure if anyone agrees with me)

Just answering everyone's post with my own opinion

XshaqattackX
09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Also, if Melo wants to be a Rocket doesn't that mean he already accepts the role of not being the #1 option. In other words, he already decided that he's going to be more of a team player by not doing many ISO's unless otherwise and start utilizing is passing which he's not bad at

mrblisterdundee
09-14-2017, 05:59 PM
Carmelo Anthony would probably be the second-best third option in the league in Houston. I could see him still getting around 22 points a game, while topping 39 percent from three and being one of the league's premier small-ball power forwards. The Rockets would soar ... until Golden State inevitably shoots them down.

KnickNyKnick
09-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Melo would be that player to atleast match up with GS. Those playoff games Harden fell off on Melo would have carried the load. So i think they could beat GS. Heck, i think SA can beat GS.

Jamiecballer
09-14-2017, 06:55 PM

If he gets to Houston and dramatically improves in efficiency, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. But I don't see his 20ft iso game helping two ultra efficient guards by taking shots from them.Yeah, this move does nothing for the Rockets imo

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

R. Johnson#3
09-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Really? People think Melo gives the Rockets a shot at beating the Dubs? This is almost as funny as all those people who thought the Knicks were a playoff team last off-season. Talent aside, that team minus KD has been together for years! Now KD has a year under his belt with them and clearly he meshes well. The Rockets would look greag on paper but that big 3 still hasn't played a game together.

Now bring talent into it and they still don't have a chance. Harden and Melo don't play D. Furthermore, Melo can't get his *** back on D while the Dubs push the ball all game. The Rockets have some solid defenders but they also have some awful ones. The Rockets wouldn't be able to stifle the Dubs on D and it's just not possible to out do them on the offensive end in a 7 game series. To be honest, I think the Dubs and Spurs could handle the Rockets even if they got Melo.

Jamiecballer
09-14-2017, 06:57 PM

On the other hand, you guys are probably foolish as hell if you don't think a 15 year old Melo wouldn't defer to Harden or CP3. He'd have the ball less but his efficiency would skyrocket.Well of course he would. I think most 15 year olds would defer to a grown man.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

KingPosey
09-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Whats funny is for always being known as an Iso-Guy, Melo has proven repeatedly that his game translates beautifully when we play internationally. I think he will surprise people on how he fits on a team like Houston if he goes there

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Whats funny is for always being known as an Iso-Guy, Melo has proven repeatedly that his game translates beautifully when we play internationally. I think he will surprise people on how he fits on a team like Houston if he goes there

This.

JasonJohnHorn
09-14-2017, 09:56 PM
Having two guys who give up easily on D would just cause CP3 to have an aneurysm twice as fast.

Also, Melo already got that coached pushed out of one job.

JasonJohnHorn
09-14-2017, 10:05 PM

Judging a guy by how he plays in international play on a team that is significantly stacked compared to every other team in the field is not a great measure.

I'll judge him by how he played with guys like Iverson and Amare. And how role players like Shane Battier are able to make him inefficient by making sure to stand on one side of him.

ewing
09-15-2017, 12:18 AM
I like the mix in Houston because they could throw out a bunch of different solid defensive groups to balance out Harden and melos lack of defense.

With the Blazers I think their defense would be horrible but they would definitely be fun to watch.

I disagree. Portland has a rim protector and Melo can play the 4 next to him. He isnt a bad defender in that role. He is still a big strong mobile dude. Portland's other stars are also move the ball more ball movers and are jump shooters which I think let's Melo play his role more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
09-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Judging a guy by how he plays in international play on a team that is significantly stacked compared to every other team in the field is not a great measure.

I'll judge him by how he played with guys like Iverson and Amare. And how role players like Shane Battier are able to make him inefficient by making sure to stand on one side of him.

Yeah bc Shane Battier was a "role player" if only defense counted

mrblisterdundee
09-15-2017, 12:57 AM
I disagree. Portland has a rim protector and Melo can play the 4 next to him. He isnt a bad defender in that role. He is still a big strong mobile dude. Portland's other stars are also move the ball more ball movers and are jump shooters which I think let's Melo play his role more

Portland can't afford Carmelo and Nurkic, which means they're not getting Carmelo. He'd be a big upgrade over Aminu or Harkless, but Portland's kind of stuck at small forward until Turner's gone.

IKnowHoops
09-15-2017, 01:15 AM
Yeah bc Shane Battier was a "role player" if only defense counted

Yes, he is undoubtedly a role player.

ewing
09-15-2017, 06:50 AM

he was undoubtedly one of the best defensive players in the league.

Heediot
09-15-2017, 08:18 AM
Really? People think Melo gives the Rockets a shot at beating the Dubs?

Not one person said they were going to beat the dubs with Melo. People are saying he will help in some aspects.

IndyRealist
09-15-2017, 09:18 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html

PayDaPiper
09-15-2017, 09:19 AM
They will make it to whatever round they run into GS. GS is going to be a well oiled machine in year 2 with that squad.

I also think the most successful and toughest offenses to guard are based on ball movement...GS, Spurs, CLE

Melo is the ultimate ball stopper, 1 on 1 player, that does not win in the playoffs...

R. Johnson#3
09-15-2017, 11:58 AM
Not one person said they were going to beat the dubs with Melo. People are saying he will help in some aspects.

Help them do what?

The only thing Melo brings is scoring while being a huge liability on defence. No team will out score the Warriors.

Heediot
09-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Help them do what?

The only thing Melo brings is scoring while being a huge liability on defence. No team will out score the Warriors.

The difference between a Melo vs. a Lowy and a Derozan, is Melo and guys like PG can beat a defense easier with their Iso skills in the playoffs. You need guys that can break down the defense in the playoffs. Melo has been forcing it in the playoffs with the knicks, but as a third option, he can let the game come to him.

I agree defense is a concern, but guys that are fearless and capable of closing out and wanting the big shot have their value. The ball hog iso Kobe, Kyrie, Melo type's have their value if you have the other pieces to complement them.

It doesn't matter if they beat the Warriors or not, if they can get him for good value like say Rhyno and filler, you do it. Who thinks they are going to beat GS, you must be bored looking to troll.

KingPosey
09-15-2017, 12:25 PM

Ya because him going to one of the most stacked teams in the NBA and playing In a style and league that's becoming more and more like the international style isn't comparable. Gtfo of here

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Good point. I also think Melo would defend the 4 better.

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 01:48 PM
Yea I don't think they beat the dubs but I think they could push them to 6. Could be 5, maybe even 7 if they catch fire.

I don't think the dubs sweep the current Rockets and I think Melo would make it more interesting.

mightybosstone
09-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Western Conference Finals. But they'd lose to the Warriors just like everyone else. It would be insanely fun to watch, though...

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Western Conference Finals. But they'd lose to the Warriors just like everyone else. It would be insanely fun to watch, though...

How many games do you think?

FlashBolt
09-15-2017, 02:31 PM
How many games do you think?

Probably in six. I think Capela is the wildcard. If dude can cover Melo's defensive mishaps and get some good putbacks/pick&roll action, Rockets have a good shot. Not impossible but it has to go their way for four games.

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Probably in six. I think Capela is the wildcard. If dude can cover Melo's defensive mishaps and get some good putbacks/pick&roll action, Rockets have a good shot. Not impossible but it has to go their way for four games.

Capela could be huge and I think 6 too but would Melo have much trouble guarding Green?

FlashBolt
09-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Capela could be huge and I think 6 too but would Melo have much trouble guarding Green?

There isn't much to guard in Draymond. The guy isn't capable of getting his own shot consistently enough for you to have to lock him down. He'll set a pick, get open, and then shoot his three. He'll get the ball and watch for one of those shooters to get free. It's not like Draymond dominates the paint or anything. I mean, against LeBron in that same position, Draymond would get smoked. The reason Draymond is a perfect PF defender in this league is because of his versatility. Dude is strong and quick enough to guard huge centers (which there aren't many of but he has held his own) and he's much quicker than guys like Love/LMA - who are too stationery to outplay Draymond.

WaDe03
09-15-2017, 03:06 PM
There isn't much to guard in Draymond. The guy isn't capable of getting his own shot consistently enough for you to have to lock him down. He'll set a pick, get open, and then shoot his three. He'll get the ball and watch for one of those shooters to get free. It's not like Draymond dominates the paint or anything. I mean, against LeBron in that same position, Draymond would get smoked. The reason Draymond is a perfect PF defender in this league is because of his versatility. Dude is strong and quick enough to guard huge centers (which there aren't many of but he has held his own) and he's much quicker than guys like Love/LMA - who are too stationery to outplay Draymond.

Yea I agree so I don't think there would be much need to cover up Melos defense. Melo can guard Green and when they go small either match them by putting Melo at C and bringing in either Tucker or Mbah a moute. If you don't match them and keep Capela in the put Melo on Iggy.

Harden should be fine on Klay, it's just all effort there. Is he willing to chase him around since CP3 and Melo will take a lot of the offensive burden off of him?

The problem comes because Durant and Curry can't be guarded and while they'll have good defenders on them it won't be enough of the others can't help off. I guess on the plus side Klays offense always goes to **** in the playoffs/finals.

They would need huge series from Harden CP3 and Melo to have a chance.

Philly Hammer
09-16-2017, 10:54 PM
I don't feel he will be a great fit in Houston. I actually think Portland would work out best for MeloAny team other than the Knicks is a good fit for Melo.