PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the 5 worst, and 5 best teams in the NBA wins wise this year?

Jeffy25
09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
1-5 Worst

1-5 Best

dhopisthename
09-13-2017, 06:11 PM
warriors-spurs-cavs-Rockets-celtics

nets-suns-lakers-kings-magic-76ers

no order

HeartOfStarks
09-13-2017, 06:21 PM

no order

Probably agree on top 5.

Bottom 5 - Nets, Hawks, Bulls, Pacers, Nuggets

dhopisthename
09-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Probably agree on top 5.

yeah I blanked on the bulls and pacers. I thought about the hawks, but I think they can be like 6-8th worth worst. I however would be shocked if the nuggets are even close to the worst 5.

HeartOfStarks
09-13-2017, 07:24 PM
yeah I blanked on the bulls and pacers. I thought about the hawks, but I think they can be like 6-8th worth worst. I however would be shocked if the nuggets are even close to the worst 5.

Nuggets are probably a bad choice, I just hate their backcourt.

5th worst will probably be 6ers or Magic, could be Knicks too especially if Melo goes.

IndyRealist
09-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Probably agree on top 5.

Pacers will be bad, but not bottom 5 bad. Definitely miss the playoffs, probably end up about 9th-12th worst. The organization doesn't tank on principle. That alone should keep them out of the bottom 5.

HeartOfStarks
09-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Pacers will be bad, but not bottom 5 bad. Definitely miss the playoffs, probably end up about 9th-12th worst. The organization doesn't tank on principle. That alone should keep them out of the bottom 5.

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me; just making a guess and I'm not saying you guys will tank, just don't love your pieces right now outside of Turner and Dipo (who's been a bit underwhelming as well although I still have faith in him).

Don't get me wrong I think Sabonis could turn into something and GRIII is a nice young player, but I just think the Pacers will struggle alot this year. That's not to say you guys won't be good again soon, your franchise always finds a way to win in the long run.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Probably agree on top 5.

The Nuggets? Really? They were almost a .500 team last season and got significantly better this summer, between adding Millsap and the continued development of guys like Harris, Hernangomez and Murray.

HeartOfStarks
09-13-2017, 08:23 PM
The Nuggets? Really? They were almost a .500 team last season and got significantly better this summer, between adding Millsap and the continued development of guys like Harris, Hernangomez and Murray.

Yeah like I said probably not the right choice, but weird **** happens every season - I don't like their backcourt at all, Gary Harris/Mudiay has to be one of the worst defensive guard tandems in the league (it seems to me at least).

The West is just insane now, so I could see a team like the Nuggets having a fall off after losing Gallo, Millsap's 32 going on 33, Jokic is awesome offensively but seems dismal defensively...

I'm probably wrong and they won't be bottom 5 but I was just making an attempt at a bold/unexpected pick.

HeartOfStarks
09-13-2017, 08:31 PM
^^ so yeah I guess Murray will be starting at PG for them this season? Admittedly I'm not super familiar with him.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2017, 09:22 PM
Yeah like I said probably not the right choice, but weird **** happens every season - I don't like their backcourt at all, Gary Harris/Mudiay has to be one of the worst defensive guard tandems in the league (it seems to me at least).

That's an equally perplexing statement. A lot of people are high on Harris because of how good he is defensively, along with his shooting and toughness in getting to the rim. Mudiay objectively sucks, and Murray probably isn't cut out to be a starting point guard, but Harris is one of the most coveted up-and-coming two-way guards in the league right now.

HeartOfStarks
09-13-2017, 09:35 PM
That's an equally perplexing statement. A lot of people are high on Harris because of how good he is defensively, along with his shooting and toughness in getting to the rim. Mudiay objectively sucks, and Murray probably isn't cut out to be a starting point guard, but Harris is one of the most coveted up-and-coming two-way guards in the league right now.

I mean I don't watch a ton of them. Again I was making a guess, obviously I'll most likely be wrong. What I've seen of Harris though, I haven't been super impressed personally. Seems like a slightly undersized SG who gets some steals but struggles against certain offenses, loses focus etc. Don't opposing guards shoot really high FG% against him? I could be wrong but thought I remembered that about him, and in the (admittedly limited) games I've seen him play in, he didn't wow me at all.

I don't watch a ton of Nuggets games though (although I did watch some as they've had ex-Knicks on their squad for a while now). So I may be off on my assessment, wouldn't be the first time and I have no problem saying that.

Kyben36
09-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Top is hard to tell

Bottom

Bulls Hawks pacers kings and nets

Will also toss pelicams in there pemding their direction

IndyRealist
09-13-2017, 10:06 PM
To put this in perspective, the Pacers have not had a top 5 pick since 1988.

IndyRealist
09-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Yeah that wouldn't surprise me; just making a guess and I'm not saying you guys will tank, just don't love your pieces right now outside of Turner and Dipo (who's been a bit underwhelming as well although I still have faith in him).

Don't get me wrong I think Sabonis could turn into something and GRIII is a nice young player, but I just think the Pacers will struggle alot this year. That's not to say you guys won't be good again soon, your franchise always finds a way to win in the long run.

I can almost guarantee you that my evaluation of the team is harsher than yours. But the Pacers don't tank, they don't shut down their players, and they always try for 8th seed. We've got a bunch of average-ish guys and a few bad ones that hopefully won't get playing time.

WaDe03
09-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Top 5: Cleveland Wades, Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, & Celtics.

Bottom 5: Hawks, Bulls (scrubs), Nets, Magic, Pacers (all East).

5ass
09-13-2017, 10:37 PM
Top is hard to tell

Bottom

Bulls Hawks pacers kings and nets

Will also toss pelicams in there pemding their direction

i agree with this.
My top 5 :Warriors-Rockets-Cavs-Celtics-Thunder

FlashBolt
09-14-2017, 12:45 AM
Not going by record but just what I think is inherently the best/worst teams:

Best
Warriors
Cavs
Spurs
Houston
OKC

Worst
Hawks
Bulls
Pacers
Kings
Magic

goingfor28
09-14-2017, 04:10 AM
Not going by record but just what I think is inherently the best/worst teams:

Best
Warriors
Cavs
Spurs
Houston
OKC

Worst
Hawks
Bulls
Pacers
Kings
MagicI agree on your top 5. I don't think OKC will have a top 5 record in the entire NBA bc they play out west, but they are top 5 in terms of talent imo.
Record wise I'd probably put Boston in place of OKC, but only bc they're in the east.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
09-14-2017, 04:26 AM
I agree on your top 5. I don't think OKC will have a top 5 record in the entire NBA bc they play out west, but they are top 5 in terms of talent imo.
Record wise I'd probably put Boston in place of OKC, but only bc they're in the east.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not even sure Boston would have a better record than OKC. They play in the East but I think people are going to be disappointed when they find out Kyrie isn't a 1st option player and that his style of play generates to losing if he's dependent on being that player.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-14-2017, 08:52 AM
I'm not even sure Boston would have a better record than OKC. They play in the East but I think people are going to be disappointed when they find out Kyrie isn't a 1st option player and that his style of play generates to losing if he's dependent on being that player.

Irving was a stat padder and loser prior to LeBron coming back. Also Hayward was use to losing with Jazz before they drafted Gobert. Horford on the decline since 3 years ago. Celtics lost depth and gave up Nets pick. They almost need another big move.

hugepatsfan
09-14-2017, 09:39 AM

I don't think Kyrie will be the "#1 option". I'd expect him to be in a somewhat similar spot to last year where he's the #2 player but #1 shot taker. Last year it was next to Lebron who is obviously better than Hayward. But Hayward was the #1 offensive player for a Jazz team that won 51 games in the West so it's not like he's incapable. Worse than Lebron isn't exactly an insult lol

TheDish87
09-14-2017, 10:06 AM

no order

you cray

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-14-2017, 10:11 AM
you cray

Embiid would have to be healthy and play 50 or 60 games.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 10:12 AM

Do we consider 50-60 games healthy these days lol?

TheDish87
09-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Irving was a stat padder and loser prior to LeBron coming back. Also Hayward was use to losing with Jazz before they drafted Gobert. Horford on the decline since 3 years ago. Celtics lost depth and gave up Nets pick. They almost need another big move.

i dont buy the C's this year but your assessments of Irving and Hayward are horrible here

TheDish87
09-14-2017, 10:15 AM

no he doesnt. even without him we shouldnt be bottom 5 in the east, we could but i dont think so. also fully expect Embiid to pass 50 games played.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Not really. But to keep 76ers out of top 5 lottery. But if he's dinged up now. Then this lingers all season and forced to play back to back's from falling into the basement. Cause not so sure Saric/Simmons and lessor extent Redick would carry them. Yeah they got rookie Fultz. But it wont matter. 76ers go as far as Embiid goes. He's the motor to the car.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-14-2017, 10:24 AM
i dont buy the C's this year but your assessments of Irving and Hayward are horrible here

So I'm wrong about Cavs lottery bound with only Irving and him padding his stats after no LeBron? Cavs multiple #1 lottery picks. Jazz didn't turn it around till Gobert was the man of the team. Yeah Irving got MVP his first All Star game. Was bit odd he got voted in when Cavs were lottery. Cant remember if he was voted in as a starter that year? I forgot. Most likely since old rule ya need wins and PPG to be in. Still that was the year Holiday was traded to the West. Rondo was injured. Also few other guards injured. So more less he was a walk on.

hugepatsfan
09-14-2017, 10:35 AM
So I'm wrong about Cavs lottery bound with only Irving and him padding his stats after no LeBron? Cavs multiple #1 lottery picks. Jazz didn't turn it around till Gobert was the man of the team. Yeah Irving got MVP his first All Star game. Was bit odd he got voted in when Cavs were lottery. Cant remember if he was voted in as a starter that year? I forgot. Most likely since old rule ya need wins and PPG to be in. Still that was the year Holiday was traded to the West. Rondo was injured. Also few other guards injured. So more less he was a walk on.

Bruh, he couldn't even drink legally in the years before Lebron got there.

Look at the 3 rosters he played with in his age 19, 20 and 21 seasons:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2014.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2013.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2012.html

Those teams are trash and again, he was in his age 19, 20 and 21 seasons.

Lebron James couldn't get the Cavs in the playoffs his first or second year. Michael Jordan got into the playoffs but was under .500 in each of his first two full seasons (excluding year 2 where he played 18 games). Michael mother ****ing Jordan, with years of college experience, couldn't lead a team over .500 that early in his career.

You holding Kyrie pre-Lebron years against him for not winning enough is clinically insane lol

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 10:56 AM

Lebron James couldn't get the Cavs in the playoffs his first or second year. Michael Jordan got into the playoffs but was under .500 in each of his first two full seasons (excluding year 2 where he played 18 games). Michael mother ****ing Jordan, with years of college experience, couldn't lead a team over .500 that early in his career.

You holding Kyrie pre-Lebron years against him for not winning enough is clinically insane lol

This! Only GOATs like Wade take their teams to the playoffs their rookie year and puts them on their back to get to the 2nd round and then in their 3rd year win finals MVP in one of the greatest performances ever.

To MillerHighLife, Giannis barely squeak in to the playoffs, why is that?

TheDish87
09-14-2017, 10:59 AM

dude Irving was 18-21 before James on a piss poor team that didnt know what to do after he let and continued to draft poorly. Utah was never Goberts team lololol he just became a defensive anchor while being the 5th option on offense. Without Hayward that team doesnt make the playoffs last year. No idea why you bring up the All Star game, who cares? its irrelevant.

Vee-Rex
09-14-2017, 11:56 AM

:clap:

I've been making this argument for the longest - feels good to finally have someone else that supports it.

Even the Almighty, Perfect, Flawless, Most Humble, Golden-Boy Stephen Curry couldn't get the Warriors to the playoffs his first 3 years, and he was not only older (21, 22, 23) than Kyrie's 1st 3 years, but had a prime Monta Ellis, while not a superstar or anything, was still pretty damn good and certainly better than any teammate Kyrie ever had pre-LeBron.

rhino17
09-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Golden State
Houston
San Antonio
Cleveland
Boston
_______
Knicks
Suns
Lakers
Nets
Magic

FlashBolt
09-14-2017, 12:17 PM
I don't think Kyrie will be the "#1 option". I'd expect him to be in a somewhat similar spot to last year where he's the #2 player but #1 shot taker. Last year it was next to Lebron who is obviously better than Hayward. But Hayward was the #1 offensive player for a Jazz team that won 51 games in the West so it's not like he's incapable. Worse than Lebron isn't exactly an insult lol

Utah wasn't built on offense, though. Hell, George Hill had his best season offensively and was the 2nd best player for them offensively. George Hill is a fourth option player on a championship team. Hayward is a better overall player and I believe he should have the ball more than Kyrie but I believe we'll see the same old Kyrie. The one who won't get others involved at all. Btw, is there a concern with the Celtics in regards to shooting the three? Your three best shooters are out of the team. (Bradley, Crowder, and Thomas). Is that by design?

hugepatsfan
09-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Utah wasn't built on offense, though. Hell, George Hill had his best season offensively and was the 2nd best player for them offensively. George Hill is a fourth option player on a championship team. Hayward is a better overall player and I believe he should have the ball more than Kyrie but I believe we'll see the same old Kyrie. The one who won't get others involved at all. Btw, is there a concern with the Celtics in regards to shooting the three? Your three best shooters are out of the team. (Bradley, Crowder, and Thomas). Is that by design?

It'll definitely be interesting to see how Kyrie transitions. My sense in hearing him talk wasn't that he wanted away from Lebron so he can be the top ball handler. It didn't seem about anything on the court at all even. He basically said he wanted out of an environment where it's one guy and then everyone else off the court. It's probably not fun to play in an environment where the top is always whether the team is good enough for the star player to want to stay.

Irving definitely has room to grow as a facilitator. remember though, he's only 25. Think about this... BOS acquired IT halfway through his age 25 season, the one Kyrie is going into this year. Think about how much his game has improved in BOS's system. And Kyrie is a better individual talent. Another example is Jimmy Butler... in his age 24 season he shot under 40% and averaged 13 points per game and then next year (age 25 season) he was a 20 ppg scorer on 46% shooting. I don't look at Kyrie as a finished player is my point. It's not only going to be interesting to watch how Kyrie fits in right away, but how he progresses (or doesn't over time). He's certainly not at an age where he should be maxed out as a player.

Honestly, I'm not sure how BOS's touches will be managed next year. I don't think Stevens at his core philosophy wants one guy dominating the ball. I know he loves to have Horford handle the ball because he's capable of it and swapping a big man out of the off-ball action for someone more athletic makes a huge difference. Al's facilitating will likely still be a huge part of the BOS offense. Hayward is a capable point forward. Irving we know can go one on one. It will be very interesting how Stevens sorts it all out.

As far as the shooting, not particularly concerned about the loss of guys you mentioned. IT is gone but Irving is a better shooter. Bradley is gone but I think Hayward is a better shooter (same career % with more defensive attention). Crowder was great in the regular season last year but in the playoffs regressed towards his career numbers that Marcus Morris is actually an improvement over. That will be a shooting loss to deal with but that's not related to the loss of Crowder because even if he were back I doubt he would repeat last year.

The big loss shooting wise is Olynyk because he's being replaced by Baynes, a non-shooter. Gerald Green is gone too but his role should be assumed by Tatum, a worse shooter. But his role was smaller so the drop-off isn't that big a deal IMO. We've lost some shooting but we also have much, much better ability to create offense with the ball so hopefully that offsets.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-14-2017, 01:28 PM
This! Only GOATs like Wade take their teams to the playoffs their rookie year and puts them on their back to get to the 2nd round and then in their 3rd year win finals MVP in one of the greatest performances ever.

To MillerHighLife, Giannis barely squeak in to the playoffs, why is that?

Squeaked in playoffs which year? This year? We were 6th seed playoffs. With Middleton missing first 50 games. Then Parker missed the remaining half of the season. Also we had two rookies starting for us. I'd say that's not to shabby for 6th seed. Also Delly and Telly and Henson had down years. Or you talking Giannis rookie year of 2013/14 season going 15 and 67? Easy answer is entire roster was pretty much injured. So default we landed Parker in the draft.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2014.html

Scroll down to games played. Only guy playing all 82 games was iron man Middleton. Sanders played 23 games. Mayo 52 games. Ersan 55. Zaza 53. Wolters 58. Butler 34. Besides the midseason trade of Neal for Sessions. That season was a dumpster fire. Shame Giannis had to witness it. Following season playoffs.

As for your comparison of Wade getting to playoffs rookie year vs Giannis. Go look at our roster compared to Wades roster during rookie years. Heck you had Butler,Jones,Hill,Odom,Grant,Haslem. Hell of a lot better then Giannis rookie roster. Throw Wade into that. That's a nice 7 man rotation.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2004.html Also a healthy season for the Heat players.

WaDe03
09-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Squeaked in playoffs which year? This year? We were 6th seed playoffs. With Middleton missing first 50 games. Then Parker missed the remaining half of the season. Also we had two rookies starting for us. I'd say that's not to shabby for 6th seed. Also Delly and Telly and Henson had down years. Or you talking Giannis rookie year of 2013/14 season going 15 and 67? Easy answer is entire roster was pretty much injured. So default we landed Parker in the draft.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2014.html

Scroll down to games played. Only guy playing all 82 games was iron man Middleton. Sanders played 23 games. Mayo 52 games. Ersan 55. Zaza 53. Wolters 58. Butler 34. Besides the midseason trade of Neal for Sessions. That season was a dumpster fire. Shame Giannis had to witness it. Following season playoffs.

As for your comparison of Wade getting to playoffs rookie year vs Giannis. Go look at our roster compared to Wades roster during rookie years. Heck you had Butler,Jones,Hill,Odom,Grant,Haslem. Hell of a lot better then Giannis rookie roster. Throw Wade into that. That's a nice 7 man rotation.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2004.html Also a healthy season for the Heat players.

I wasn't comparing Wade and Giannis as it's not a debate. I was just wondering why Giannis didn't or barely made the playoffs because you were dogging Kyrie for it. Kyrie has a worse roster than Giannis.

hugepatsfan
09-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Kyrie definitely has flaws as a player and deserves criticism. Not making the playoffs/having a good record leading a team with CJ Miles as his #2 player when he was 19, 20 and 21 is not one of the valid criticisms though. It's really just that simple.

Cal827
09-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Top 5: Warriors, Thunder, Spurs, Wizards, Celtics (In that order)

Bottom 5: Atlanta, Chicago, Kings, Nets, Lakers... (From worst to 5th worst)

I'm surprised some of you are saying Pacers.... even with the crappy trade, I can see them fighting for that last spot in the East playoffs... have you guys watched Myles Turner :D and Oladipo isn't a bad player, it was just the lack of return on a semi-superstar when it comes to future assets (like picks) which was incredibly baffling to me.

I guess I should explain a bit haha

Top 5. Warriors because obviously, Thunder because I think that George/Westbrook are going to work really well with each other, and a good defender/stretch 4 in Patrick Patterson is underrated I feel. Countless times here, he nailed a deep shot after a kick out by Lowry/Derozan... I expect more of the same with the hyper agressive Westbrook :laugh2:...... Spurs because it's the Spurs and they always are near the top of the conference with 50+ wins.....

Wizards because they probably have the best overall team chemistry of any East team, and I feel they'll be the best Eastern Conference team overall now (after seeing the fun that the other trade is doing). Boston and Cleveland are getting used to a bunch of new players/waiting on injured players, and Toronto has retained their core, some of the people leaving commented on the team being somewhat divided (Carroll), also our coach is probably one of the worst at adapting of all playoff teams.... Celtics are 5th because I feel, that once they get going, they'll be able to cook some teams... whether or not it works in the playoffs, we'll see.

Worst:

Atlanta, Chicago are obvious... The Nets will be better, but not enough to pull them out of the gutter, Kings haven't been rebuilding for even a full year yet, so it'll continue this year... and LA because while they have some talent, it's hard to believe this team being able to survive the brutal west night after night. Ingram has ton to prove that he's not going to be a bust like Derrick Williams, and Lonzo Ball would need to have a legendary season for them to jump some teams

Suns are a (dis)honorable mention for bottom 5 as well

Allphakenny1
09-14-2017, 08:58 PM
:clap:

I've been making this argument for the longest - feels good to finally have someone else that supports it.

Even the Almighty, Perfect, Flawless, Most Humble, Golden-Boy Stephen Curry couldn't get the Warriors to the playoffs his first 3 years, and he was not only older (21, 22, 23) than Kyrie's 1st 3 years, but had a prime Monta Ellis, while not a superstar or anything, was still pretty damn good and certainly better than any teammate Kyrie ever had pre-LeBron.

So I want to start this off by saying I completely agree with the premise of this post that Irving's first few years should not be held against him because he was extremely young and not the same player he is today. The problem I have is using Ellis as a positive for Curry. I love Ellis, but he only served to stunt Curry's growth at the beginning of his career. He was the worst complement as a 1-2 player for Curry and stated that they could not work together right after Curry was drafted.