PDA

View Full Version : You get to re-select on pick from your team's past: what would change

JasonJohnHorn
09-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, you, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished... He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. You've leaped into your favorite team's former (or current) GM at the moment you get to re-select that most awful pick. And so, as you, Dr. Beckett find yourself putting right what once went wrong.

What does Al (your only guide on this journey, an observer from your own time who appears in the form of a hologram that only you, Sam Beckett, can see and hear) say at the end of the show to demonstrate that you've changed everything for the better?

What is the result of you changing history for the better?

j-bay
09-11-2017, 11:54 PM
There would be 2 choices I would change.

1.With the 1st pick in the 2001 NBA Draft, the Washington Wizards select......Pau Gasol(Kwame Brown)

2.With the 4th Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Washington Bullets select....Kevin Garnett(Rasheed Wallace)

Ariza's Better
09-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Easy, Kwai Leonard instead of Marcus Morris.

mudvayne387
09-12-2017, 07:51 AM
In the 2009 draft, the Knicks selected Jordan Hill 8th overall. The player taken one pick later ? DeMar DeRozan. The player taken one pick ahead ? Stephen Curry.

warfelg
09-12-2017, 07:56 AM
1998 Larry Brown promised Larry Hughes he was going to draft him despite later admitting that Dirk and Paul Pierce were better players.

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2017, 08:45 AM
In the 2009 draft, the Knicks selected Jordan Hill 8th overall. The player taken one pick later ? DeMar DeRozan. The player taken one pick ahead ? Stephen Curry.

Curry is obviously great. A franchise-changing player.

To be honest, though DeRozan is only going to get you to mediocrity, especially with the players he would have been working with. I mean... do you think Melo and DeRozan would have blended? I'd rather get an average player that I can put around a real franchise player, than a big-fish-small-pond guy who is never going to be efficient enough for me to actually build a contender around.

I'm sure you can find a bigger fubar in Knicks draft history. The drafted that guy Vince Carter jumped over to dunk on in the Olympics head of Ron Artest for instance. And that dude never played a game in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
09-12-2017, 08:52 AM
I would have kept Ray Allen, instead of trading him for Stephon Marbury on draft night. An Allen/KG duo, would have for sure fought deep into the playoffs a handful of years.

Me and Mr. T
09-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Woops. Just realized this is NBA redraft. I need more coffee.

Scoots
09-12-2017, 09:06 AM
I'm tempted to say the Warriors use the 3rd pick in the 1980 draft to pick Kevin McHale instead of trading that pick and Robert Parish to the Celtics for the pick they used on Joe Barry Carroll.

1983 Take Clyde Drexler rather than Russell Cross

1995 Take Kevin Garnett rather than Joe Smith

1996 Take Kobe Bryant rather than Todd Fuller

1997 Take Tracy McGrady rather than Adonal Foyle

1998 Keep Vince Carter rather than trade him for Antawn Jamison

That was a REALLY bad 4 year run by the Warriors.

Of all of them I think I'd take 1995 because in no re-draft of 1996 is Kobe lasting to the Warriors pick.

Jeffy25
09-12-2017, 09:36 AM
There would be 2 choices I would change.

1.With the 1st pick in the 2001 NBA Draft, the Washington Wizards select......Pau Gasol(Kwame Brown)

2.With the 4th Pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Washington Bullets select....Kevin Garnett(Rasheed Wallace)

Well you only get one ;)

I assume Garnett?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Bucks:

1992 Instead of Todd Day I would of took any of Horry, Sprewell.

1995 Instead of draft night trade of Trent for Respert. I would of took any of Finley or Ratliff.

1996 Could of flat out picked Ray Allen instead of Marbury or draft Kobe.

1997 Kept our own pick as in Danny Fortson instead of trading his rights for Ervin"Stone Hands" Johnson. Danny could grab like 10 boards in 5 minutes of play.

1998 Draft Dirk for our selves and keep him.

2000 Instead of trading rights to Jason Collier and a future first to Rockets for Przybilla. I would of just out right selected Jamaal Magloire farther down the draft. Besides kept the future first.

2002 Instead of Marcus Haislip I would of took Tayshaun Prince.

2003 Instead of taking TJ Ford. I would of selected David West or Josh Howard.

2005 Instead of Andrew Bogut I would of selected Chris Paul.

2007 Instead of Yi Jianlian I would of selected Marc Gasol.

2008 Instead of drafting Joe Alexander the bust. I would of selected any of Brook Lopez, RobinLopez, Roy Hibbert, Ryan Anderson, Kotsa Koufus, Serge Ibaka, Nicolas Batum, George Hill, DeAndre Jordan, Goran Dragic.

2009 I guess instead of Brandon Jennings I could of picked Jrue Holiday or Jeff Teague or Ty Lawson.

2010 Instead of Larry Sanders I could of picked Eric Bledsoe or Avery Bradley.

2011 Instead of the 3 team trade of us selecting Jimmer for the Kings. I would of skipped the trade so we got Klay Thompson. Which we almost did. But we ended up with Tobias Harris and Stephen Jackson.

2012 Instead of John Henson I would of selected Draymond Green or Jae Crowder or Kris Middleton.

2013 Stand pat with G.O.A.T. Giannis at #15.

2014 Touchy subject. Yeah now Jabari Parker is injury prone. So we could of just picked injured Joel Embiid and tanked next couple years with Giannis on rookie contact yet. Now no more tanking for us. That was our window.

2015 I would of either kept Rashad Vaughn or picked Sam Dekker.

2016 Stand pat with Thon Maker and Malcom Brogdon.

2017 We will see.

R. Johnson#3
09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Lamarcus Aldridge over Andrea Bargnani

Andre Iguodala over Rafael Araujo

Andre Drummond over T Ross

One thing all those picks have in common is that the player ID rather have taken went directly after the one that was taken.

hugepatsfan
09-12-2017, 10:03 AM
I would say JuJuan Johnson over Jimmy Butler is the worst in recent memory for the Celtics.

TylerSL
09-12-2017, 10:16 AM
With the second overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the Miami Heat select: Russell Westbrook, Guard out of UCLA. Our fortunes were good after that draft anyway, but they could have been so much better had we done that.

Hawkeye15
09-12-2017, 10:23 AM
I would say JuJuan Johnson over Jimmy Butler is the worst in recent memory for the Celtics.

to be fair, that wasn't a can't miss at all....

Strengths: A well-rounded forward with great qualities for a future role-player ... Solid athlete with nice overall quickness ... Great length ... Extremely active on both ends of the court ... Impressive player in transition ... Uses his good strength and body control to finish plays around the rim ... Doesn't need to dominate the basketball to be effective offensively ... Shows good instincts cutting to the rim ... Catches the defense off-guard with a lot of backdoor cuts ... Confident spot-up shooter, that does a lot of damage in the mid-range ... Developed a solid pull up jumpshot as a senior ... Aggressive when looking for contact ... Shot 6.5 free throws a game in the 2010-2011 season on a very respectable 78.3% clip ... An efficient passer (1.59 assist/turnover) that has the ability to make the simple plays to set up his teammates ... Highly unselfish ... Makes a big impact on the offensive glass, keeping possessions alive and getting a lot of tip-ins ... Tough defender with all the tools needed to become very valuable in this area ... Gets a lot of deflections with his long arms ... Smart kid with a good head on his shoulders and a strong work-ethic ...

Weaknesses: Good all-around player, but lacks any one great skill... Fits the "jack of all trades, master of none" mold ... Not a stand-out athlete ... Hasn't proven that he can consistently create offense for himself ... Not an isolation player, feeds off the play of his teammates ... Could really open up his game by adding range to his jump shot ... Hasn't shown that he can be a consistent threat from behind the arc ...

Overall: Like Wesley Matthews before him, Butler could really be a nice player if he lands in the right situation ... Unlike many rookies in his draft class, Butler could see NBA playing time without hurting the team by playing poor defense or taking bad shots ... That, coupled with his positive attitude and personality, should get him a few looks in the early second round ... If he continues to improve his outside shooting ability, he might be one of this class' sleepers ...

he was basically looked at as maybe a good role player, nothing else. Not like passing up a sure thing, which most teams have done.

hugepatsfan
09-12-2017, 11:03 AM
to be fair, that wasn't a can't miss at all....

he was basically looked at as maybe a good role player, nothing else. Not like passing up a sure thing, which most teams have done.

Yeah it's always tough to rip on a team for passing on a guy that late. If he was a sure-fire star he wouldn't have been there to begin with.

I actually thought of another one for BOS... trading up for Olynyk ahead of Giannis. Again though, that's really a hindsight one. Olynyk is a solid 20 minute a night big and at #14 that's honestly solid value. Giannis was seen as a reach at the time.

Guys like Lavine (#13), Saric (#12), Nurkic (#16), Gary Harris (#19), Capela (#25), Rodney Hood (#22) Jokic (#41) are all arguably better than the guys we got in 2014 - Smart (#6), James Young (#17). I think it's tough to argue though that any of them should have gone ahead of Smart though at the time. So it's more the ones we passed on for Young (but even Young was considered great value at #17).

Other than that, BOS hasn't generally picked too high so there's no huge misses I can think of. Brown to me looks like he was the best pick at #3. Tatum hasn't even played yet so can't comment on that one. I think those two and then the move-up for Olynyk are the only times Ainge has ever picked in the lottery for himself so in recent history it's tough to find "stars" we missed on.

j-bay
09-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Well you only get one ;)

I assume Garnett?

Yes i would only get to pick one but those are my top 2. And yess Garnett.

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2017, 11:18 AM
I would have kept Ray Allen, instead of trading him for Stephon Marbury on draft night. An Allen/KG duo, would have for sure fought deep into the playoffs a handful of years.

Who knows... maybe you could have drafted a guy like Paul Pierce later... those three might have been able to make a run ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm tempted to say the Warriors use the 3rd pick in the 1980 draft to pick Kevin McHale instead of trading that pick and Robert Parish to the Celtics for the pick they used on Joe Barry Carroll.

1983 Take Clyde Drexler rather than Russell Cross

1995 Take Kevin Garnett rather than Joe Smith

1996 Take Kobe Bryant rather than Todd Fuller

1997 Take Tracy McGrady rather than Adonal Foyle

1998 Keep Vince Carter rather than trade him for Antawn Jamison

That was a REALLY bad 4 year run by the Warriors.

Of all of them I think I'd take 1995 because in no re-draft of 1996 is Kobe lasting to the Warriors pick.

I think the one that would ahve made the biggest difference was skipped: Mutombo instead of Billy Owens.

Mullen, Hardaway and Hill with Mutumbo... rebound defense and scoring. That team would have killed it.

But don't feel to bad... they've made up for their draft-day mistakes lately ;-)

mrblisterdundee
09-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Re-picking in the draft is one of the biggest trigger phrases for any Blazer fan's nightmares. The lowest-hanging fruit is Durant over Oden or Jordan over Bowie, but I'll get more contemporary: The Blazers pick Giannis instead of C.J. with the 10th pick in the 2013 draft.
Giannis backs up Batum and Aldridge at the forward spot while getting his NBA legs. When the Blazers won't back the Brinks truck up for the oft-injured Frenchman, Giannis takes over. Aldridge still leaves, which is fine by me. You have Giannis, so no need to spend on Aminu. Your 2015-16 Blazers:

PG: Lillard, Frazier
SG: Henderson, Crabbe
SF: Giannis, Harkless
PF: ?, Leonard
C: ?, Plumlee, Kaman

Get a two-way big man and you're in the hunt.

Hawkeye15
09-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Who knows... maybe you could have drafted a guy like Paul Pierce later... those three might have been able to make a run ;-)

yeah and I just picked one move. If I listed all the draft mistakes the Wolves made that created a huge win/loss disparity, PSD would lock my account for too many letters/words.

Heediot
09-12-2017, 11:36 AM
I think the one that would ahve made the biggest difference was skipped: Mutombo instead of Billy Owens.

Mullen, Hardaway and Hill with Mutumbo... rebound defense and scoring. That team would have killed it.

But don't feel to bad... they've made up for their draft-day mistakes lately ;-)

When they had Tim, Mullin, Spree and Webber all on the roster, I don't know how you **** that up! If they stuck together that offense would have killed it.

Scoots
09-12-2017, 12:21 PM

The Warriors didn't draft Owens they traded Mitch Richmond for him. I'd rather have kept Richmond.

IndyRealist
09-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Kill Hitler, obviously.

Or not trade what would be the #2 pick in the 1984 draft for Tom Owens. Knowing the Pacers they would have taken Sam Bowie instead of Jordan.

Either/or.

valade16
09-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Re-picking in the draft is one of the biggest trigger phrases for any Blazer fan's nightmares. The lowest-hanging fruit is Durant over Oden or Jordan over Bowie, but I'll get more contemporary: The Blazers pick Giannis instead of C.J. with the 10th pick in the 2013 draft.
Giannis backs up Batum and Aldridge at the forward spot while getting his NBA legs. When the Blazers won't back the Brinks truck up for the oft-injured Frenchman, Giannis takes over. Aldridge still leaves, which is fine by me. You have Giannis, so no need to spend on Aminu. Your 2015-16 Blazers:

PG: Lillard, Frazier
SG: Henderson, Crabbe
SF: Giannis, Harkless
PF: ?, Leonard
C: ?, Plumlee, Kaman

Get a two-way big man and you're in the hunt.

The Jordan one is the worst because they had Clyde Drexler from the year before. So they'd have had Michael Jordan and Clyde Drexler for the forseeable future. And they had a ton of other assets such as Jim Paxson, Kiki Vandeweghe, Mychal Thompson and a young Jerome Kersey.

That team would have been loaded and won God knows how many titles.

The KD one is a little more dicey. It would have been Roy/KD/LMA and that core would have surely won oodles of titles except Roy would still have broken down and then we're left with KD/LMA. They would have done very well, but without more support they likely come as close as OKC came and then given KD's nature he leaves us high and dry anyway. Heck, they both would likely bolt.

YAALREADYKNO
09-12-2017, 05:03 PM
1984 Charles Barkley over Sam Perkins
1985 Karl Malone over Detlef Schremph
1996 Kobe Bryant over Samaki Walker
2004 Andre Igoudala or Luol Deng over Devin Harris
2011 Jimmy Butler (keep the pick instead of trading it to Denver) over Jordan Hamilton
2013 Giannis Antetoukounmpo or Rudy Gobert over Kelly Olynyk