PDA

View Full Version : How much longer will Vince Carter go?

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 12:53 AM
My guess is 42. That would be two more seasons. What he's still doing at his age is great, but it has to end sometime...right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNssvPqjF34&t=

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 01:08 AM
It already ended. The guy is just a good enough of a shooter to where he can squeak into a team. Not really impactful as you think.

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 01:16 AM
It already ended. The guy is just a good enough of a shooter to where he can squeak into a team. Not really impactful as you think.

I feel like you haven't been watching the past couple seasons then. His playmaking and mentorship of the young guys has been his biggest attributes. And just the fact he's friggin 40 starting in the playoffs.

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 01:25 AM
I feel like you haven't been watching the past couple seasons then. His playmaking and mentorship of the young guys has been his biggest attributes. And just the fact he's friggin 40 starting in the playoffs.

I feel like you think Vince is better than he actually really is because you refuse to let go of the fact that NBA legends are not beating father time. Sorry, bud. You want real impact then look at Duncan during his last year when he was still consistently a top level defender. Vince is there for mentorship/shooting. That's it. If he couldn't shoot abocve 35%, he'd be out of the league. Plenty of veterans can mentor younger players. Memphis isn't particularly a young team, though.

More-Than-Most
09-07-2017, 01:26 AM
he hasnt been good in years..... sorry but its true. He is living off of his legacy and good for him but no team should want him because there is better guys out there.

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 03:14 AM
I feel like you think Vince is better than he actually really is because you refuse to let go of the fact that NBA legends are not beating father time. Sorry, bud. You want real impact then look at Duncan during his last year when he was still consistently a top level defender. Vince is there for mentorship/shooting. That's it. If he couldn't shoot abocve 35%, he'd be out of the league. Plenty of veterans can mentor younger players. Memphis isn't particularly a young team, though.

Because I predict he'll go until 42?...you got all that out of that?

40 is ancient in NBA years, he has beaten father time, it's fun to watch for us less-cynical folks.

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 03:21 AM
he hasnt been good in years..... sorry but its true. He is living off of his legacy and good for him but no team should want him because there is better guys out there.

His pay he's getting is off legacy..but his play last year in Memphis, last years in Dallas were definitely good ones for a vet.

More-Than-Most
09-07-2017, 03:32 AM
His pay he's getting is off legacy..but his play last year in Memphis, last years in Dallas were definitely good ones for a vet.

this is whats wrong with the NBA... What is honestly good about 8pts/3 rebounds and a 39 percent shooter in 24 minutes per night? why because he can shoot 37 percent from 3 while taking 1 3 a night? he was trash.

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Because I predict he'll go until 42?...you got all that out of that?

40 is ancient in NBA years, he has beaten father time, it's fun to watch for us less-cynical folks.

Because you make it seem as if he's dunking over everyone while dropping 20+ points.

Scoots
09-07-2017, 10:03 AM
He's shockingly effective for a 40 year old ... but so was Jerry Rice, and 40 year old Jerry Rice and Vince Carter are just holding on by their reputation. They are good enough to play, but they probably should be replaced by a youngster with potential sooner than later.

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Because you make it seem as if he's dunking over everyone while dropping 20+ points.Please point out where I said this. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jamiecballer
09-07-2017, 10:36 AM
he's not trash, he's still a quality NBA player. you have to pretty much ignore the FG% (even though that should go without saying in 2017) because when 2/3rds of your shots are 3 balls you aren't going to be shooting mid 40's %. he's one of the smartest players out there and that doesn't fade. he's got another year or 2.

and what scoots said.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Never cling to the past.

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Please point out where I said this. Thanks.

"What he's still doing at his age is great, but it has to end sometime...right?"

Never said you specifically stated it but you're implying that he's doing something that no one has ever done before. Plenty of players at that age in the NBA could have stuck around. Vince just loves basketball. Tim Duncan could still be playing right now. Vince is just a serviceable player on a team with not much expectations going forward and they like his demeanor in the locker room. It's probably better to replace the guy now than have him. I mean, the guy plays over 25 minutes and scores 8 points per game. It's not exactly impressive but moreso evidence Memphis has done a poor job with their team roster and Parsons always being injured definitely sucks for them.

TheDish87
09-07-2017, 04:25 PM
this is whats wrong with the NBA... What is honestly good about 8pts/3 rebounds and a 39 percent shooter in 24 minutes per night? why because he can shoot 37 percent from 3 while taking 1 3 a night? he was trash.

hes ****ing 40! thats why its impressive dude. he has found a way to contribute while not relying on his freakish athleticism that he once had. once guys like him lose that its usually it for them but he has been able to stay in the game.

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 04:32 PM
"What he's still doing at his age is great, but it has to end sometime...right?"

Never said you specifically stated it but you're implying that he's doing something that no one has ever done before. Vince just loves basketball. Tim Duncan could still be playing right now. Vince is just a serviceable player on a team with not much expectations going forward and they like his demeanor in the locker room.

You probably should have just said this from the beginning and not come off as so salty about whatever you have against the guy.

To be honest, it is something that pretty much never happens. Sure Jordan scraped away in his late 30s..but I'm not gonna act like we see athletic stars in their prime still playing at age 40, and still solidly athletic and serviceable. He did start in the playoffs for Dallas and Memphis, injuries or not. So yeah, I would consider it great for any SG to still be playing at age 40 and still contributing and not painful to watch. It's not like Kobe and Tmac in their final years (ignoring Kobes last game), that was hard to watch for me as a fan, Vince just surprises me. Maybe you don't think it's great, but I do. I mean just admire his athleticism in that video at least...

You can argue replacing him for youth, sure, but like you said his locker room and demeanor have had coaches wanting him to stick around.

I'm not some blind superfan, just because I have the name.

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 04:38 PM
You probably should have just said this from the beginning and not come off as so salty about whatever you have against the guy.

To be honest, it is something that pretty much never happens. Sure Jordan scraped away in his late 30s..but I'm not gonna act like we see athletic stars in their prime still playing at age 40, and still solidly athletic and serviceable. He did start in the playoffs for Dallas and Memphis, injuries or not. So yeah, I would consider it great for any SG to still be playing at age 40 and still contributing and not painful to watch. It's not like Kobe and Tmac in their final years (ignoring Kobes last game), that was hard to watch for me as a fan, Vince just surprises me. Maybe you don't think it's great, but I do. I mean just admire his athleticism in that video at least...

You can argue replacing him for youth, sure, but like you said his locker room and demeanor have had coaches wanting him to stick around.

I'm not some blind superfan, just because I have the name.

Memphis management has been terrible the past few years. They have no direction and the fact they continue working on the same core of Gasol+Conley+Allen and what was left of Z-Bo is a total mess. They signed Carter because they can't get anyone else and due to the lack of clarity on the team. That's just the reality of the situation. Why would I be salty towards Vince Carter? You're the one who has a reason to be salty considering your name is based off him. My point is obvious and clear: He's a 40 years old who is playing a lot of minutes and thus, is bound to have some sort of contribution. But there are plenty of players out there who could be more serviceable if Memphis really wanted to start looking for them. Locker room presence is irrelevant. Am I supposed to say, WOW, he's age 40 and he's such a great locker room guy!?

JAZZNC
09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Yeah if you want to see truely productive play at 40, look at Duncan, Stockton, and Malone. Those guys were actually productive on good teams. Yeah Vince is still playing but he doesn't move the bar much anymore.

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Yeah if you want to see truely productive play at 40, look at Duncan, Stockton, and Malone. Those guys were actually productive on good teams. Yeah Vince is still playing but he doesn't move the bar much anymore.

Yup, my point exactly. Those guys were still contributing meaningful minutes and had an actual impact on winning teams whereas Vince is just hanging around but fortunate enough to get minutes because Memphis is lacking a legitimate roster.

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Memphis was a playoff team, in the West.

He also doesn't play for them anymore..

You don't have to be Duncan, Stockton, and Malone to say 'Hey, good job'

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Memphis was a playoff team, in the West.

He also doesn't play for them anymore..

You don't have to be Duncan, Stockton, and Malone to say 'Hey, good job'

1) check Memphis's roster last season. Bunch of just decent players just making it in the NBA. They had a lack of depth and so Vince played more minutes than he actually would on most teams.

2) Of course he doesn't play for them anymore. What's your point? Aren't we talking about what he did this past season? I mean, I'm not sure what we're judging him by then. Next season didn't happen yet.

3) No, but Duncan and Stockton and Malone were still relevant impactful players while Vince is just there because he's there. Reality hurts, sorry. Nostalgia is painful to get past but it clouds reality.

More-Than-Most
09-07-2017, 05:04 PM
hes ****ing 40! thats why its impressive dude. he has found a way to contribute while not relying on his freakish athleticism that he once had. once guys like him lose that its usually it for them but he has been able to stay in the game.

what does his age have to do with it? its still a bad season... there are still younger players anywhere in the draft better and worth playing over him... i never said he wasnt impressive for his age.. I said 8/3 on under 40 percent shooting with 1 3 point shot a game is bad esp when you lack speed and defense because of age.

Vinsanity115
09-07-2017, 05:43 PM
1) check Memphis's roster last season. Bunch of just decent players just making it in the NBA. They had a lack of depth and so Vince played more minutes than he actually would on most teams.

And yet they made the playoffs, again. So, wouldn't that give even more credit?

2) Of course he doesn't play for them anymore. What's your point? Aren't we talking about what he did this past season? I mean, I'm not sure what we're judging him by then. Next season didn't happen yet.

You sounded like you didn't know.

3) No, but Duncan and Stockton and Malone were still relevant impactful players while Vince is just there because he's there. Reality hurts, sorry. Nostalgia is painful to get past but it clouds reality.

Lol, trust me, I'm not hurt or nostalgic. I'm just not a cynical fan and I enjoy seeing guys I watched growing up still contribute especially ones like Vince. 2 top 10 and a top 25 player don't change my opinion one bit.

red

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 06:25 PM
red

They made the playoffs again because Marc Gasol+Randolph+Conley+Tony Allen have been playing with each other for years and have great chemistry. They would make it with or without Vince.

goingfor28
09-07-2017, 06:57 PM
I feel like you think Vince is better than he actually really is because you refuse to let go of the fact that NBA legends are not beating father time. Sorry, bud. You want real impact then look at Duncan during his last year when he was still consistently a top level defender. Vince is there for mentorship/shooting. That's it. If he couldn't shoot abocve 35%, he'd be out of the league. Plenty of veterans can mentor younger players. Memphis isn't particularly a young team, though.He's not on Memphis anymore

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LOb0
09-07-2017, 07:13 PM
It's funny because Vince now is more athletic than Kobe was from around 2010 till the end of his career. Imagine if he had that body.

It could also be Kobe's playoff grind, which VC rarely went through.

hugepatsfan
09-07-2017, 07:52 PM
I think he's pretty great for a 40 year old :shrug:

He isn't great overall but it's still a great accomplishment to be as effective as he is at his age. I don't see why we can't just give him props for that without qualifying it by saying "yeah well others have been even better"

MJNetsIsles
09-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Flash Bolt is wrong here and should apologize to the OP for unneeded skepticism.

What Vince Carter is able to do at this age is impressive and phenomenal.

FlashBolt
09-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Flash Bolt is wrong here and should apologize to the OP for unneeded skepticism.

What Vince Carter is able to do at this age is impressive and phenomenal.

No, I won't apologize for having an opinion. You should apologize to everyone here for being a Nets fan, though :)

NetsPaint
09-07-2017, 10:19 PM
People throw the word "trash" around. He's far from trash. He's good.

I saw him a decent amount of games last season. He doesn't have big stats, but he's an efficient three point shooter and he moves the ball well. You don't have to be ball dominant and a big stat guy to be effective.

The argument to play somebody younger now is understandable, but you might be forgetting that Carter hasn't been one of the stars of his team. He's not even utilized to score much. In fact he hasn't been much since he was on the Magic, if even that. He's a proven player who teams trust. He's there to give chemistry, mentor, score a little, pass, etc.

Shaun Livingston doesn't have mind-blowing numbers by any means, and anybody who watches him play should know he's still good and isn't easily replaceable.

Vinsanity115
09-08-2017, 12:39 AM
They made the playoffs again because Marc Gasol+Randolph+Conley+Tony Allen have been playing with each other for years and have great chemistry. They would make it with or without Vince.Those 4, especially washed up Allen, way past his prime Randolph, and quitting Gasol are not automatic playoff spots any year in the West. Such a joke.

Vinsanity115
09-08-2017, 12:42 AM
No, I won't apologize for having an opinion. You should apologize to everyone here for being a Nets fan, though :)Apologize for not being a bandwagon fan?

ewing
09-08-2017, 12:46 AM
My guess is 42. That would be two more seasons. What he's still doing at his age is great, but it has to end sometime...right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNssvPqjF34&t=

guys like Vince and Jamal are inspirational. they just want to ball, man

ewing
09-08-2017, 12:51 AM
I think he can defiantly dunk a ball at 60. Will he be able to dunk a basketball at 70?

FlashBolt
09-08-2017, 01:20 AM
Those 4, especially washed up Allen, way past his prime Randolph, and quitting Gasol are not automatic playoff spots any year in the West. Such a joke.

Right. So Vince Carter was the reason they made the playoffs. Who's biased, me or you?

Washed up Allen? Oh, the same Allen who made the NBA 2nd Defensive Team? What were you watching?

Chronz
09-08-2017, 01:30 AM
He's become a great glue guy who optimises the stars best, possibly better than most of their high end role players

Vinsanity115
09-08-2017, 02:01 AM
I think he can defiantly dunk a ball at 60. Will he be able to dunk a basketball at 70?

Idk but I do know his PER efficiency WARP rating won't be as good as Karl Malone when he's 70.

Vinsanity115
09-08-2017, 02:06 AM
Right. So Vince Carter was the reason they made the playoffs. Who's biased, me or you?

Washed up Allen? Oh, the same Allen who made the NBA 2nd Defensive Team? What were you watching?

This will be my last response to you, it's like arguing with a teenager first getting into basketball.

1. Stop putting assumptions and words into my mouth. I never said that, or really anything you've claimed.

2. Allen got 2nd defensive team. Vince got teammate of the year, veteran of the year. Is one off of skill and the other off of solely reputation then? Decide.

I don't get this debate to begin with..there was no debate..it was literally a 'how long will Vince Carter play?' thread. Read the OP, or any of my posts, where does it say anywhere anything you're claiming.

TheDish87
09-08-2017, 08:47 AM
what does his age have to do with it? its still a bad season... there are still younger players anywhere in the draft better and worth playing over him... i never said he wasnt impressive for his age.. I said 8/3 on under 40 percent shooting with 1 3 point shot a game is bad esp when you lack speed and defense because of age.

his age literally has everything to do with it lol come on you cant be that ignorant

Vinylman
09-08-2017, 09:31 AM
the correct answer is

WHO GIVES A *****

/thread

TheDish87
09-08-2017, 10:02 AM
why post then? clearly people like this discussion and its the offseason with nothing going on.

FlashBolt
09-08-2017, 10:11 AM
This will be my last response to you, it's like arguing with a teenager first getting into basketball.

1. Stop putting assumptions and words into my mouth. I never said that, or really anything you've claimed.

2. Allen got 2nd defensive team. Vince got teammate of the year, veteran of the year. Is one off of skill and the other off of solely reputation then? Decide.

I don't get this debate to begin with..there was no debate..it was literally a 'how long will Vince Carter play?' thread. Read the OP, or any of my posts, where does it say anywhere anything you're claiming.

Teammate and veteran of the year... are those actual awards? I mean, you're the one with Vincanity on his name so I do think you're being extremely biased of his actual abilities on the court. In regards to #1, if that Memphis squad composing of Allen, Randolph, Conley, and Marc Gasol are not automatic playoffs, which player on their team made them a playoff team? Are you implying that Carter was that huge of a deal?

Vinylman
09-08-2017, 10:34 AM
why post then? clearly people like this discussion and its the offseason with nothing going on.

I didn't say people shouldn't discuss ... I just offered my opinion on the subject matter... for me it is a stupid topic

in the future... take your own advice... if you don't like a post ... ignore it

Vinsanity115
09-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Lol..a 40 year old NBA player getting people heated.

TheDish87
09-08-2017, 10:57 AM
I didn't say people shouldn't discuss ... I just offered my opinion on the subject matter... for me it is a stupid topic

in the future... take your own advice... if you don't like a post ... ignore it

'who gives a ****?' isnt an opinion. but hey do you and just post that in every thread you dont like.

Vinylman
09-08-2017, 12:19 PM
'who gives a ****?' isnt an opinion. but hey do you and just post that in every thread you dont like.

actually it is the proper opinion on most threads on PSD... the subject matter isn't worth the effort of commenting... discourse for discourses sake makes us all dumber for participating

Vinsanity115
09-08-2017, 01:03 PM
It's a great thread for early September off-season blues thank you very much.

NetsPaint
09-08-2017, 04:52 PM
The Kings will make the Playoffs with the help of Carter.

FlashBolt
09-08-2017, 05:40 PM
actually it is the proper opinion on most threads on PSD... the subject matter isn't worth the effort of commenting... discourse for discourses sake makes us all dumber for participating

I actually agree with this sentiment. Vince isn't even a top what? 100 player in the NBA..

Jamiecballer
09-08-2017, 05:44 PM
It's funny that Vince got slagged for character and commitment and 15 years later it's pretty much impossible to question now. I'm proud of the guy, wish he'd come home.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Vinsanity115
09-08-2017, 06:25 PM
I actually agree with this sentiment. Vince isn't even a top what? 100 player in the NBA..Okay so then why are you the most frequent poster in this thread? Go away already.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Shocked Kidd didn't try to recruit him to Milwaukee. Kidd usually tries to get guys he coached or played with eventually. But were full at the wings.

JasonJohnHorn
09-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Well... if he keeps shootings 3's a .390,somebody may sign him just to sell jerseys and have a 3-pt shooter to bring in to spread the floor during the closing minutes of a quarter.

But really... other than his 3pt shooting, he didn't play well last year (only shot .418 inside the arc, and his per36 is down significantly across the board).

Hawkeye15
09-13-2017, 01:38 PM
It's funny that Vince got slagged for character and commitment and 15 years later it's pretty much impossible to question now. I'm proud of the guy, wish he'd come home.

yeah dude, things went around for Vince. I was guilty of it too. People questioned a lot about him the way he left Toronto, and the way he changed his game (he realized that attacking style wouldn't work long term), and here we are, debating over a 100 year old Vince still playing..

Kudos to him. I would love to see him in a Raps uni

Hawkeye15
09-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Shocked Kidd didn't try to recruit him to Milwaukee. Kidd usually tries to get guys he coached or played with eventually. But were full at the wings.

Keith Van Horn is available

JasonJohnHorn
09-13-2017, 02:08 PM
yeah dude, things went around for Vince. I was guilty of it too. People questioned a lot about him the way he left Toronto, and the way he changed his game (he realized that attacking style wouldn't work long term), and here we are, debating over a 100 year old Vince still playing..

In fairness, while he has matured a lot, he did intentionally tank his performance with the Raptors, and when he first got to the Nets, I remember Kidd having to yell at that dude to get him to hustle on D and chase down loose balls.

I respect that he has managed to turn things around, but that exit out of Toronto and early stint in NJ showed that he wasn't putting in what he should have when he was forcing a trade. That is disrespectful to the fans and the game. The criticism he received then was as valid as the praise he receives now. His FG/FT% tanke until they traded him, then he was back to where he was. That is not a coincident. And on top of that, he pushed to get Wilkens fired only to demand a trade after. Not cool.

That said, we are defined by the choices we make, not the choices we made.

Jamiecballer
09-13-2017, 02:31 PM
I think the level of criticism over the graduation thing really hurt him deeply considering how much of it was coming from fans and media in toronto. I think that was pretty much the end of his commitment to the organization.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Keith Van Horn is available

Hah hahahah. We already had him. I believe we eventually traded him for expiring's in Alan Henderson and Calvin Booth. Yeesh Pure salary dump.

Vinsanity115
09-15-2017, 01:56 AM

I remember that like it was yesterday...people fuming at the mouth because Vince stopped trying to 360 windmill in traffic on opposing centers every night. It was kind of like an addiction, people couldn't handle the transformation to a more well rounded game and less electric dunks.

It was hard for everyone young, but as I grew older I began to realize he was developing a better all around game.

Vince was at his best that first season or two with the Nets. He had every skill he had in Toronto, but finally felt relaxed and sure of his game. His shooting was more lethal as well. 2001 you can argue, but it was a bit of a guessing game masked by extreme athleticism and talent. What surprised me most is him becoming such a good hustler, defender in his later years. Usually it's the opposite.

Vinsanity115
09-18-2017, 10:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGkv6A4rtAI

Felt this belonged here.

Vinylman
09-18-2017, 10:54 AM
I guess this thread will never die... unlike VC's skills

Vinsanity115
09-19-2017, 07:38 PM
I guess this thread will never die... unlike VC's skills

Oh you want this thread to die?

Vinylman
09-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Oh you want this thread to die?

never... I hope it stays on the front page forever :clap:

ewing
09-20-2017, 07:34 AM
^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinsanity115
09-21-2017, 07:32 PM
never... I hope it stays on the front page forever :clap:

Are you sure?

Raps18-19 Champ
09-21-2017, 08:55 PM
I think with a proper diet and exercise he should be able to live a long time.