PDA

View Full Version : Rockets sold for $2.2B

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Sporting News NBA‏*@sn_nba 8m
8 minutes ago

More
Houston businessman Tilman Fertitta buying Rockets for record $2.2 billion http://dlvr.it/Pkxq76....

Htownballa1622
09-05-2017, 11:29 AM
🤘🏽

Scoots
09-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Great news for the Rockets ... probably.

Vinylman
09-05-2017, 12:39 PM
meh... more owners need to get out now...

not a lot of upside to valuations as the TV revenue is now baked into the numbers

rhino17
09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Fertita will be a Mark Cuban type owner......

Everything he owns is garbage, he is known to cut corners, and most consider him to have Italian mob ties

He's definitely a shady guy, but also has always been a big rockets fan

I'm also concerned that he doesn't have enough money to operate the team the same way Les used to.

RowBTrice
09-05-2017, 01:01 PM
This guy related to the Fertitas that use to own UFC?

LOb0
09-05-2017, 01:24 PM

Everything he owns is garbage, he is known to cut corners, and most consider him to have Italian mob ties

I'm also concerned that he doesn't have enough money to operate the team the same way Les used to.

Yeah this would worry me if I'm a Rockets fan. Alexander was a really good owner.

Rivera
09-05-2017, 01:59 PM
being honest that seems cheap considering they are in a big market, and a much better team/franchise than the clippers who sold for 2 B.

I would think the Rockets are worth much more, but I guess the value is tied to the TV Revenue vs the franchise

Vinylman
09-05-2017, 02:04 PM
being honest that seems cheap considering they are in a big market, and a much better team/franchise than the clippers who sold for 2 B.

I would think the Rockets are worth much more, but I guess the value is tied to the TV Revenue vs the franchise

The clipps were a massive overpay... I am actually surprised the rockets got this much to be honest...

The TV revenue is peaking so a valuation based purely in terms of future cash flows isn't going to get much better than right now.

beasted86
09-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Jersey endorsement money is right around the corner. Easy $10-$15M per season.

Saddletramp
09-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Yeah. They're cousins, I think.

This will probably go well for a few years but he's not going to go above and beyond for the long haul.

This is going to suck.

sep11ie
09-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I worked for this dude. He is a prick.

Saddletramp
09-05-2017, 03:13 PM
I worked for this dude. He is a prick.

I have, too. I know.

warfelg
09-05-2017, 03:40 PM
The clipps were a massive overpay... I am actually surprised the rockets got this much to be honest...

The TV revenue is peaking so a valuation based purely in terms of future cash flows isn't going to get much better than right now.

Agreed on the Clips. Because it was an open auction someone was bound to put a huge number in to ensure they got their prize.

IndyRealist
09-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Of course he did.

Jeffy25
09-05-2017, 04:32 PM

He's worth more than Les lol And definitely has more cash flow, plus it's a salary cap sport. It's not like ownership really prohibits winning when it comes to spending often.

Have you ever watched his show? Billionaire Buyer?

Jeffy25
09-05-2017, 04:33 PM

distant cousins.

lakers squad
09-05-2017, 04:36 PM
@ Jeffy 25...Well when you get into luxury tax to keep a good team together, this stuff really matter's...some owner's are willing to pay a massive tax to win and others are not!

Scoots
09-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Yeah. They're cousins, I think.

This will probably go well for a few years but he's not going to go above and beyond for the long haul.

This is going to suck.

This is why I say "probably".

I wonder if he would move them if he got offered a few hundred million to do it too.

If he disagrees with Morey will he listen or just put his foot down?

Saddletramp
09-05-2017, 05:44 PM
This is why I say "probably".

I wonder if he would move them if he got offered a few hundred million to do it too.

If he disagrees with Morey will he listen or just put his foot down?

I'd put the odds of him moving the team at pretty much zero. He'd sell before he moved them. He's Galveston born/U of H schooled and headquarters up in Houston. He's not going anywhere. Then again, nothing he'd do would surprise me, including going waaaaay over the luxury tax. But I'd put going too far over the tax as about as likely as him relocating the team.

As far as Morey goes, Fertitta is a pretty stubborn businessman (they all are) but he also surrounds himself with people who know exactly what they're doing. And he might think he can get someone better than Morey. Or Morey could walk after he sees what's up.

Saddletramp
09-05-2017, 05:46 PM
@ Jeffy 25...Well when you get into luxury tax to keep a good team together, this stuff really matter's...some owner's are willing to pay a massive tax to win and others are not!

Exactly. And if you only know him through Billion Dollar Buyer then you don't really know him.

rhino17
09-05-2017, 06:42 PM
As far as Morey goes, Fertitta is a pretty stubborn businessman (they all are) but he also surrounds himself with people who know exactly what they're doing. And he might think he can get someone better than Morey. Or Morey could walk after he sees what's up.
Tilman has been on Les' board of advisors for the Rockets for years, I'm pretty sure he has always been on board with morey

FlashBolt
09-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Wiki the guy. Says he's been a part of the franchise indirectly/directly for over 20+ years. Seems to me whoever is willing to pay this much has some sort of interest with the team. The guy is from Houston - which definitely helps. I hope this doesn't change anything that Houston has done lately. Their team has improved drastically in a short period of time. Harden has been more impactful on that team than I believe most expected. Good for you guys. Let's hope a few of those games proceeds goes towards rebuilding Houston. You've got a fan in me!

mrblisterdundee
09-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Fertitta apparently offered $81 million in 1993 before Alexander outbid him with $85 million. I bet he's wishing he would have spent an extra $5 million or so back in the day.

allen45
09-06-2017, 02:36 AM
The price sounds a little less for me.

Vinylman
09-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Jersey endorsement money is right around the corner. Easy $10-$15M per season.

its 100 million for the entire league which the players get half... its peanuts

FlashBolt
09-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Holy hell, he's related to the UFC Fertita brothers? Goddamn that family is wealthy.