PDA

View Full Version : Do The Boston Celtics become the new Most Hated Team in the League?

LaVar Ball
09-01-2017, 09:50 PM
I hope this doesn't come off as a bait or anything of that sort.

With Kyrie forcing his way out of Cleveland...and becoming a conference final rival as a Celtic, leaving the greatest player in the world, with Gordon Hayward leaving the Jazz (rumored to be going to Boston but held off for another 6-7 hours to get his player tribune piece in), Isaiah Thomas being loyal to the Celtics organization and playing his heart out post-sister's death and recruiting GH to come to Boston, only to be traded away and have his value plummet over the whole hip issue thing.

The Celtics as a team for the now and future are better. No question. But the way everything transpired, Kyrie IMO is a bit of a hated man, and Ainge ain't no angel.

Do you think Boston has become the new hated team in the league?

LA4life24/8
09-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Nah. Everyone still focused on the warriors. I dont think kyrie lost much respect around the league, at least by players.

I could be wrong but ehh no more disdain than the franchise normally receives (which isnt anywhere neae what the lakers receive for whatver reason)

5ass
09-01-2017, 10:19 PM
I dont blame Kyrie for leaving. He doesnt like playing with Lebron, or he doesnt like Lebron personally, or a little bit of both. I got that feeling at the end of the last game of the finals that Kyrie and Lebron werent that close. I kind of saw it through out the play offs too. Lebron wants to play with his best friends. Wherever he goes next, i think Wade and maybe Melo will follow. Meanwhile, Irving plays for an elite coach who will put the ball in his hands a little bit more and just use him better overall.

Can some Cavs fans let me know if they see it too? Who was Lebron closest with last season?

I kind of like the Celtics. Smart is a great defender, but they need more defense. Offense is good. kyrie-hayward-horford will be a very good 1st,2nd,3rd option. Brown is a fun young player. Tatum will be an allstar IMO.

goingfor28
09-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Lol no. Still easily GS

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nastynice
09-01-2017, 10:33 PM
not even close.

but they did up their villain status by a good margin...possible villains of the east?

ewing
09-01-2017, 10:44 PM
No LeBron is too good and to big an ******* not to take that title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dade County
09-01-2017, 11:20 PM
No reason for Boston to be hated.

Lbj is going to run through the East & GS is going to run through the league.

IndyRealist
09-02-2017, 12:21 AM
So we villify KD for "taking the easy path" and joining the Warriors, but we also villify Irving for wanting to be out of Lebron's shadow and be his own man?

And Utah could have given Gordon Hayward a max contract 5 year deal out of his rookie contract. They did not and he entered restricted free agency. Instead he got a 4yr offer with a player option which they matched. If Utah had been loyal to Hayward to begin with, he'd still be under contract right now. Loyalty goes both ways.

tredigs
09-02-2017, 12:47 AM
Not at all. Just makes Boston extremely interesting to watch next year (even as a 1 seed I did not get much out of watching Boston outside of IT's crazy 4th Q performances here and there). They're up there with Minny and Houston as teams you'd click first on your league-pass "top-8" for next season.

They won't be hated until they actually win something.

Bostonjorge
09-02-2017, 01:15 AM
The east belongs to Kyrie now

j-bay
09-02-2017, 01:50 AM
Nah the Villians are GSW. Possibly the Lakers as well next year.

More-Than-Most
09-02-2017, 02:31 AM
the hate is lebron first and warriors 2nd....... everything else is so far away its sad. The celtics arent hated because they arent a threat :shrug:

GoferKing_
09-02-2017, 03:36 AM
Nope.

PurpleLynch
09-02-2017, 06:12 AM
No, GS is still the villain and Boston hasn't a history of being considered the villains of the league as far as I know, unlike my Lakers.

By the way, if next year Lebron joins us with another 1-2 superstar, I'm eager to see if we will return with our villain status or we will be considered as the good underdog against the almighty evil overlord that is GS.

Green_Monster
09-02-2017, 08:43 AM
the hate is lebron first and warriors 2nd....... everything else is so far away its sad. The celtics arent hated because they arent a threat :shrug:

You guys just illogically hate Ainge though, am I right?

eDush
09-02-2017, 09:13 AM
No, GS is still the villain and Boston hasn't a history of being considered the villains of the league as far as I know, unlike my Lakers.

By the way, if next year Lebron joins us with another 1-2 superstar, I'm eager to see if we will return with our villain status or we will be considered as the good underdog against the almighty evil overlord that is GS.Lebron's not leaving the Cavs regardless of how they fare next season which is one of the reason why Kyrie left to have his own team to lead. Not sure why some fans still think he would do another Heatles incident and hurt his entire city of Ohio. I trust Durant when he said Labron will stay for good :nod:

Heediot
09-02-2017, 09:23 AM
In b4 this turns into a 20 plus page Warriors bash.

Ishkabibble
09-02-2017, 10:32 AM

Put it this way; back in the 80's during an on-court brawl between the Celtics and Atlanta, Tree Rollins bit Ainge's finger. To this day, 90% of the fans that recall that incident swear Ainge bit Tree Rollins. He was the hate-able Celtic because he played with 4 Hall of Famers.
But I'll tell you what; the NBA could use more GM's like Danny Ainge. Who made this off season more fun than he did? Trading the #1 overall pick, then Avery Bradley, signing Gordon Hayward then capping it off with that crazy Irving/Isaiah Thomas trade. The guy's got balls, that's for sure. He had a young team that'd had won 53 games and next season he'll be bringing back a total of 4 players off that 15 man roster. Right or wrong he's got a vision for his team and he's definitely unafraid to make franchise-altering decisions. I almost feel bad for Brad Stevens who for all intents and purposes is starting all over again.

BoSox47
09-02-2017, 10:33 AM
I hope this doesn't come off as a bait or anything of that sort.

With Kyrie forcing his way out of Cleveland...and becoming a conference final rival as a Celtic, leaving the greatest player in the world, with Gordon Hayward leaving the Jazz (rumored to be going to Boston but held off for another 6-7 hours to get his player tribune piece in), Isaiah Thomas being loyal to the Celtics organization and playing his heart out post-sister's death and recruiting GH to come to Boston, only to be traded away and have his value plummet over the whole hip issue thing.

The Celtics as a team for the now and future are better. No question. But the way everything transpired, Kyrie IMO is a bit of a hated man, and Ainge ain't no angel.

Do you think Boston has become the new hated team in the league?

No, at least not yet. Hypotherically if the celtics made it to the finals, I think a lot of casual fan would jump on the Celtics bandwagon just to see something besides the Cavs or Warriors win it. However if the Celtics win then I believe they become one of the most hated teams. Dont think they have a chance at winning the NBA championship for 2 more years.

Vee-Rex
09-02-2017, 10:41 AM

Yep.

1. LeBron
2. Golden State
3. Danny Ainge

Vee-Rex
09-02-2017, 10:43 AM

By the way, if next year Lebron joins us with another 1-2 superstar, I'm eager to see if we will return with our villain status or we will be considered as the good underdog against the almighty evil overlord that is GS.

LeBron leaving Cleveland would mean the return of Evil LeBron, as he has only been seen in a Heat jersey thus far.

So you guys would be high up there on the hate list.

Big Zo
09-02-2017, 10:45 AM
I've always hated the Celtics, but they're still irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, just like all the other Eastern Conference teams.

Green_Monster
09-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Yep.

1. LeBron
2. Golden State
3. Danny Ainge

I'd probably hate him if he was an opposing GM too. The way he turned this team around in four short years is incredible.

eDush
09-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Yep.

1. LeBron
2. Golden State
3. Danny Ainge

I'd probably hate him if he was an opposing GM too. The way he turned this team around in four short years is incredible.Some people just hate greatness and they are great at what they do. Ainge is a genius :nod:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-02-2017, 04:10 PM
I'd probably hate him if he was an opposing GM too. The way he turned this team around in four short years is incredible.

Eh, Danny Ainge was Christian Laettner before Christian Laettner.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Well they weren't exactly a team people should have liked to begin with.

Vinsanity115
09-02-2017, 04:14 PM
No way. Love the Celtics as an outside fan

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vinsanity115
09-02-2017, 04:15 PM
I dont blame Kyrie for leaving. He doesnt like playing with Lebron, or he doesnt like Lebron personally, or a little bit of both. I got that feeling at the end of the last game of the finals that Kyrie and Lebron werent that close. I kind of saw it through out the play offs too. Lebron wants to play with his best friends. Wherever he goes next, i think Wade and maybe Melo will follow. Meanwhile, Irving plays for an elite coach who will put the ball in his hands a little bit more and just use him better overall.

Can some Cavs fans let me know if they see it too? Who was Lebron closest with last season?

I kind of like the Celtics. Smart is a great defender, but they need more defense. Offense is good. kyrie-hayward-horford will be a very good 1st,2nd,3rd option. Brown is a fun young player. Tatum will be an allstar IMO.This

Jamiecballer
09-02-2017, 04:39 PM
I agree with whomever said yes - of the east. GS clearly but for the reasons OP outlined the Celtics will have turned off some.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

TheMightyHumph
09-02-2017, 05:11 PM
I have hated the Celtics since 1962

Balltime
09-02-2017, 06:22 PM
I think it's the Sixers. A bunch of cocky *** kids who like the run their mouths without even doing anything yet. They want the fame without the sweat.

Lakers + Giants
09-02-2017, 07:26 PM
As a laker fan I should say yes but tbh i don't really see them as a threat tbh. At least not til they still add another big piece.

I'd hate them if we were competitive, but we aren't so nothing to hate atm.

Vinsanity115
09-02-2017, 09:06 PM
I think it'll easily be the Warriors and Rockets, but I will agree Sixers are somewhat annoying

Tumstock
09-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Celtics has easily been the most hated team for the last two years on /r/nba and twitter

cmellofan15
09-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Don't hate the Celtics but its sickening how they treated IT after carrying them, playing injured and after his sister got killed. I hope he gets to get them back in the playoffs this year.

LaVar Ball
09-03-2017, 12:31 AM
I have hated the Celtics since 1962

Mah man!

JasonJohnHorn
09-03-2017, 12:59 AM
I don't think most fans outside of Utah or Cleveland would care. And I don't think either fan base would have the 'Celtics' so much as they may dislike the player.

But both players appreciated their former team's fan base and said all the right things when leaving Utah took a gamble by letting Hayward hit free agency when they could have traded him. That is on the team.

Kyrie let the team know what he wanted while he still had trade value. They got a pretty goo haul back for him.

bagwell368
09-03-2017, 07:05 AM
So we villify KD for "taking the easy path" and joining the Warriors, but we also villify Irving for wanting to be out of Lebron's shadow and be his own man?

And Utah could have given Gordon Hayward a max contract 5 year deal out of his rookie contract. They did not and he entered restricted free agency. Instead he got a 4yr offer with a player option which they matched. If Utah had been loyal to Hayward to begin with, he'd still be under contract right now. Loyalty goes both ways.

Nah.... Stevens is the Coach that first planted the idea of playing in the NBA in Hayward's mind. He wanted to play for him, and if you don't buy that - then GH looking at Utah's chances of winning a title over the next five years out of the West, vs an up and coming C's in the East.

Either way it's a business, and he made his move.

bagwell368
09-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Put it this way; back in the 80's during an on-court brawl between the Celtics and Atlanta, Tree Rollins bit Ainge's finger. To this day, 90% of the fans that recall that incident swear Ainge bit Tree Rollins. He was the hate-able Celtic because he played with 4 Hall of Famers.

He was hated because he was a pest on D that would set blind screen looking for fouls, and a total whiner on O. Like say Laimbeer in Detroit, he's loved by his fans and hated by most others.

[/QUOTE]But I'll tell you what; the NBA could use more GM's like Danny Ainge. Who made this off season more fun than he did? Trading the #1 overall pick, then Avery Bradley, signing Gordon Hayward then capping it off with that crazy Irving/Isaiah Thomas trade. The guy's got balls, that's for sure. He had a young team that'd had won 53 games and next season he'll be bringing back a total of 4 players off that 15 man roster. Right or wrong he's got a vision for his team and he's definitely unafraid to make franchise-altering decisions. I almost feel bad for Brad Stevens who for all intents and purposes is starting all over again.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, Stevens is tied in very closely to every move DA made/makes. Stevens knows he's got more talent than last year, and he knows he's expected to deliver. That might scare off many, but for him it's a challenge that he'll meet/exceed or "die" trying.

bagwell368
09-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Don't hate the Celtics but its sickening how they treated IT after carrying them, playing injured and after his sister got killed. I hope he gets to get them back in the playoffs this year.

Please. He insisted that he wouldn't sign any short deals and wanted a full max (years and money) after the season. Since he's all about money and having him as one of the 3 maxes would mean the C's would never win a title with him, DA read it right. Trade him. After all IT is the one that gave money as the answer to what he wanted.

DA gave IT a chance, and Stevens got the most out of him, funny how IT and his aggrieved fans don't think of that. He just had his career year, and any team that gives him a max are idiots. C's are well shot of the guy. BTW IT is a miserable performer in the playoffs. After you get past a few high scoring games, he played poorly under extra D you see in playoffs, even Detroit the weakest D and Washington the second weakest D gave him fits last year, he played a lot more poor/meh halves than he played great ones, and if Rondo didn't get hurt it would have been much worse. If IT is still on the Cavs and playing by the ECF, KY will eat IT for breakfast.

IT will be a bench player or retired by '19-'20. Not a max.

eDush
09-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Please. He insisted that he wouldn't sign any short deals and wanted a full max (years and money) after the season. Since he's all about money and having him as one of the 3 maxes would mean the C's would never win a title with him, DA read it right. Trade him. After all IT is the one that gave money as the answer to what he wanted.

DA gave IT a chance, and Stevens got the most out of him, funny how IT and his aggrieved fans don't think of that. He just had his career year, and any team that gives him a max are idiots. C's are well shot of the guy. BTW IT is a miserable performer in the playoffs. After you get past a few high scoring games, he played poorly under extra D you see in playoffs, even Detroit the weakest D and Washington the second weakest D gave him fits last year, he played a lot more poor/meh halves than he played great ones, and if Rondo didn't get hurt it would have been much worse. If IT is still on the Cavs and playing by the ECF, KY will eat IT for breakfast.

IT will be a bench player or retired by '19-'20. Not a max.He actually demanded Boston to show him the brink truck like who talks like that?!?
:shrug:

That's what Karma does IT :(

CELTICS4LYFE
09-03-2017, 08:54 AM
What reason would people have to hate?? "Celtics were disloyal to IT" ??? What?? Because we maximized his talent and turned him into a Allstar from a off the bench spark plug?? Whatever payday he gets next year he should owe to Stevens/DA.

Figure NBA fans would appreciate at well built TEAM not a bunch of superstars playing together that everyone is complaining about now...

Kyrie wants to be his own Man.

Hayward should thrive as second option.

Horford does all the little stuff.

Smart is a tenacious defender and can play his role now.

Brown/Tatum are the young guns for the future.

Still have draft picks stashed.

IndyRealist
09-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Nah.... Stevens is the Coach that first planted the idea of playing in the NBA in Hayward's mind. He wanted to play for him, and if you don't buy that - then GH looking at Utah's chances of winning a title over the next five years out of the West, vs an up and coming C's in the East.

Either way it's a business, and he made his move.

That actually doesn't contradict what I said. If Utah had given Hayward a max deal instead of letting him hit RFA, he WOULD be under contract in Utah right now.

Vinylman
09-03-2017, 03:02 PM
he is a cu nt

Cal827
09-03-2017, 03:37 PM
They haven't won anything of significance yet, so at this point, nope. At this point, it's more individual hate for Irving/Ainge anyways.

ewing
09-03-2017, 09:49 PM

IT will be a bench player or retired by '19-'20. Not a max.

^^^ not a hater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk