PDA

View Full Version : Would Kobe fit on a Lakers super-team?

mrblisterdundee
08-29-2017, 08:17 PM
We've been hearing a lot about how the Lakers might be preparing for a super-team led by the likes of LeBron, George, Westbrook and/or other stars, along with their rookie blue-chippers such as Ball and Ingram.
In all the scenarios, I haven't really heard of a marquee shooting guard coming to Los Angeles, unless that's Ball or George. I have a hard time thinking Caldwell-Pope is the answer, not based on talent but on the amount of cap space the Lakers would have for him and the other stars.
Would Kobe fit as a closer for that team? Would he be able to accept playing around 20 minutes a game, sacrifice usage and be an ancillary option until late in the fourth? Could he even accept a vet minimum contract?
He'd probably be 40 by the time any super team came together, but it seems like he would still be a decent closer at the end of games, sucking in defenses. He's also proven an adept passer, if he's willing to help keep the ball moving.

j-bay
08-29-2017, 08:31 PM
We've been hearing a lot about how the Lakers might be preparing for a super-team led by the likes of LeBron, George, Westbrook and/or other stars, along with their rookie blue-chippers such as Ball and Ingram.
In all the scenarios, I haven't really heard of a marquee shooting guard coming to Los Angeles, unless that's Ball or George. I have a hard time thinking Caldwell-Pope is the answer, not based on talent but on the amount of cap space the Lakers would have for him and the other stars.
Would Kobe fit as a closer for that team? Would he be able to accept playing around 20 minutes a game, sacrifice usage and be an ancillary option until late in the fourth? Could he even accept a vet minimum contract?
He'd probably be 40 by the time any super team came together, but it seems like he would still be a decent closer at the end of games, sucking in defenses. He's also proven an adept passer, if he's willing to help keep the ball moving.

The name in bold is just a dream by Lakers fans. Russ wants the keys to cars. He isn't sharing. I believe Kobe, Lebron, and George would be fine. Ball would kind of be the problem. In other words Lakers lose a playoff game and LaVar opens his mouth, saying something along the lines of "You need to give my son the ball" and insulting them in the process, making Kobe, Lebron and Paul mad at Lonzo. But other than that i can see them playing well together

DanG
08-29-2017, 08:40 PM
When I clicked I thought you were talking about Kobe in his prime. Laker fans have moved on and so has Kobe, he retired at the right time. At this point Kobe would be detrimental to any team in the NBA if he actually played some minutes. He can't defend, he's old, injury prone and I'm sure he hasn't even thought about a comeback.

LA4life24/8
08-29-2017, 08:54 PM
Ummm nah, kobe always said he wouldn't ring chase, that when he couldnt be the man on a team he'd be done. And i fully believe that.

Also if a lakers super team does happen ie lebron pg13 etc id bet a lot of money wade comes here for a small amount of money to play w bron and ring chase. He'd only have to play like 10-15 mins a night during the season and could ramp up during the playoffs

LOb0
08-29-2017, 09:59 PM
It would be fun but, Kobe is completely done. His body has nothing left.

FlashBolt
08-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Ummm nah, kobe always said he wouldn't ring chase, that when he couldnt be the man on a team he'd be done. And i fully believe that.

Also if a lakers super team does happen ie lebron pg13 etc id bet a lot of money wade comes here for a small amount of money to play w bron and ring chase. He'd only have to play like 10-15 mins a night during the season and could ramp up during the playoffs

It's easy to say you wouldn't ring chase when you've already been on superior teams good enough to win championships compared to some other players who weren't as fortunate. Also pretty easy to say you wouldn't have joined X player or X team when you're nearing retirement or are retired.

To the OP's question, no. The issue with Kobe is his defense. I'm sure he can get you 15 points off the bench easy but it'll be under inefficient usage because Kobe's personality wouldn't be to take the most efficient shot but to take any shot he believes he could make. It worked for Kobe that the Lakers were willing to sacrifice a few years so he could give the fans a scoring show but if you want to win, that type of player is not going to be helpful. Kobe or MJ, it makes no sense.

Lakers + Giants
08-29-2017, 11:40 PM
Kobe retired way after his body was done. His body gave up on him. Way too much mileage.

europagnpilgrim
08-30-2017, 01:56 AM
Of course he would fit, but to what extent would he try and fit in so the team could click on all cylinders and win big, when he was young and had Diesel it made sense for him to pick and choose since Diesel was so dominant but post Shaq he was going to get his shots at a heavy rate regardless who was there since he was given the keys to the franchise which ultimately let him do it until the wheels fell off, literally

Kobe who wore #24 was a different animal and had the Lakers by the throat so he could show everybody his Jordan style game regardless of the outcome which wouldn't work well for a 40yr old who owns or co owns the city of LA(bball wise), he loved to shoot and score rather it stunted the growth of young players or veterans, had Nash stayed healthy during that year they had Pau/Dwight he would have still taken Nash usage and dropped those assists along with the free flow let it fly shoot at will offense that Mike D'Antoni had allowed, like he said prior to Nash/Howard joining them it was his team/city and that's just the way he rolled, especially after Shaq was traded, at least prior to that Phil during the 3peat could channel his aggressiveness a lil bit until that 04' Finals, it was a wrap from there

he would respect Lebron(if he were to be on the Lakers) the most but knowing his competitive nature he would want the glory and would want his minutes, even at the age of 40 right now, but George/Ball would get told by KB to take a back seat since they haven't proven nothing as far as championship hardware is concerned

Vinsanity115
08-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Kobe retired way after his body was done. His body gave up on him. Way too much mileage.

It was honestly hard to watch the super athletic Kobe so stiff and clumsy in his final years..it looked painful even watching him despite him still being pretty skillful.

At least we will always have his final game to remember in those final years, that was a blast.

Vinsanity115
08-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Prime Kobe I don't think would work either. Didn't prime Kobe already have a super team with the Gary Payton, Malone thing? It didn't really work.

Hawkeye15
08-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Kobe's body is done at this point. Not for being a regular human, but he can't do the things he wants to anymore, which would drive him, and his teammates, insane.

Prime Kobe had a super team...and no, chucking a bunch of names at the wall doesn't always work. Most people thought a Wade/LeBron pairing was unfair. Any moron should have realized certain players overlap each other to a high degree. The reason GS works so well, is because they have players who are so unselfish, and have so many complimentary skillsets, not contradicting..

Hawkeye15
08-30-2017, 09:34 AM

easy to say when you are gifted the best franchise in the game, the best big man of this generation in his peak, one of the best coaches to ever step on the sideline, and multiple great players and role players that gave you championship help since day 1.

Nope, instead, after being a 2nd option on 3 championship teams, and helping run Shaq out of town, he demands a trade when things get a little down. What a guy

ewing
08-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Kobe is retired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lakers squad
08-30-2017, 01:21 PM
Kobe was great, but his time has past...at this point D. Wade would make a hell of a lot more sense for that role!

LOb0
08-30-2017, 09:12 PM
I just want to take this chance again to say ******* you Mike D'antoni for playing Kobe 48 minutes a game for that long *** stretch and basically ending his career. It was so ridiculous.

KingPosey
08-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Sure, but are YOU gonna be the one to convince him to ply 10 minutes a game? I'm not gonna ducking do it.

LA4life24/8
08-30-2017, 10:00 PM
easy to say when you are gifted the best franchise in the game, the best big man of this generation in his peak, one of the best coaches to ever step on the sideline, and multiple great players and role players that gave you championship help since day 1.

Nope, instead, after being a 2nd option on 3 championship teams, and helping run Shaq out of town, he demands a trade when things get a little down. What a guy

I meant he said that at the end of/his declining years... thats why he didnt take any kind of pay cut so the lakers could possibly sign other stars...

Early in a players career yes everyone should be chasing rings but even in the end had kobe never won a chip or even only 1 he's not the type of guy to jump on a loaded team where his contribution would be minimal at best.

Kobe always wanted to be the guy regardless the outcome. Yes he was gifted a great opportunity coming into the league but he made the most of it and earned everything he got.

FlashBolt
08-30-2017, 10:08 PM
I meant he said that at the end of/his declining years... thats why he didnt take any kind of pay cut so the lakers could possibly sign other stars...

Early in a players career yes everyone should be chasing rings but even in the end had kobe never won a chip or even only 1 he's not the type of guy to jump on a loaded team where his contribution would be minimal at best.

Kobe always wanted to be the guy regardless the outcome. Yes he was gifted a great opportunity coming into the league but he made the most of it and earned everything he got.

Not many players wanted to play with Kobe down the latter end of his career. There was no more ring-chasing for him. Where could he have gone? Kobe's ego would never have put him to a team to ring-chase at that point of his career because he already developed a Mamba Mentality point of view that he had to hold his reputation up to. Does anyone here believe Kobe doesn't ring chase if he was playing for a God-ridden team for 5+ years let alone for 10+ years that some players have had to deal with? I mean, this isn't fair to players who just never had the opportunity early in their career to play on great teams. Didn't Kobe try to get traded to the Lakers pre-draft? Isn't that ring chasing? Didn't Kobe try to get his way to the Bulls - who had a 49-33 record that season? I mean, it wasn't great but that's certainly better than most teams that some of these superstars have been a part of.

Balltime
08-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Kobe can play great defense and facilitate in his youth. Kobe is a basketball player. He does whatever it takes to win. 5 rings don't lie.

ldawg
08-30-2017, 10:53 PM
LOL Lakers super team? where is the Lakers super team? Wow thats pretty bold for a team not projected to make the playoffs. A better question would be if Kobe would fit on Lakers rebuilding team. No, he would go into Carry this team mode when they are not winning. Kobe retired because he got injured and they were not competing Look who he was playing with. To answer the question If he was playing with Lebron, George etc then Yes.

Sssmush
08-31-2017, 12:45 AM

The question should be "is there any possible way the Lakers could bring in a super team without Kobe managing to force his way onto the team and making it all about hm?"

LoL you'll never sneak a "super team" or potential title team into LA without Kobe being all over that ****. And he definitely needs 20 shots a game minimum. And his agent is the GM.

Also Lebron not coming and no Paul George, Westbrook or CP3 either. So whatever super team will have to have other guys on it

allen45
08-31-2017, 01:35 AM
Kobe has nothing to prove anymore, just like Jordan and others.

KB24PG16
08-31-2017, 05:14 AM
Nah Kobe is done with the nba, the guy genuinely seems happy with his life. He had nothing left in the tank anyways he drained it all. helluva competitor

lakers squad
08-31-2017, 07:56 AM
Not many players wanted to play with Kobe down the latter end of his career. There was no more ring-chasing for him. Where could he have gone? Kobe's ego would never have put him to a team to ring-chase at that point of his career because he already developed a Mamba Mentality point of view that he had to hold his reputation up to. Does anyone here believe Kobe doesn't ring chase if he was playing for a God-ridden team for 5+ years let alone for 10+ years that some players have had to deal with? I mean, this isn't fair to players who just never had the opportunity early in their career to play on great teams. Didn't Kobe try to get traded to the Lakers pre-draft? Isn't that ring chasing? Didn't Kobe try to get his way to the Bulls - who had a 49-33 record that season? I mean, it wasn't great but that's certainly better than most teams that some of these superstars have been a part of.

That is a question we will never truly know the answer too, but my belief's are that Kobe had such a old school of thought where you go at the best to win the chip, and the fact he wanted to be the guy, I couldn't see him doing it and riding someone's coat tail's to win one, thats jmo!

Hawkeye15
08-31-2017, 08:43 AM

yeah, but what player with 5 chips with the only franchise they have ever played for, leaves to chase rings? That would be straight up pathetic

Hawkeye15
08-31-2017, 08:45 AM
That is a question we will never truly know the answer too, but my belief's are that Kobe had such a old school of thought where you go at the best to win the chip, and the fact he wanted to be the guy, I couldn't see him doing it and riding someone's coat tail's to win one, thats jmo!

oh no, we KNOW that is the truth haha. He straight up helped run Shaq out of town because he was sick of sharing the spotlight, and being a #2. Just so happened to coincide with Shaq's decline, and Kobe's peak, so it happened to work out for the Lakers, and Kobe.

FlashBolt
08-31-2017, 11:08 AM

By definition, did he not ring chase by putting himself to the Lakers knowing they will give him a better opportunity during his career? What had his career been like playing with Charlotte?

Vinsanity115
08-31-2017, 02:00 PM

Nope, instead, after being a 2nd option on 3 championship teams, and helping run Shaq out of town, he demands a trade when things get a little down. What a guyWhat is he supposed to do though? Leave LA because they're so good?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hawkeye15
08-31-2017, 02:04 PM
What is he supposed to do though? Leave LA because they're so good?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

not at all. But giving him credit for sticking it out with the Lakers his whole career is laughable. When you get the criticism of players who leave their original franchises because, "Kobe, Bird, Magic, Duncan all stayed!!", you have to apply context.

Who would leave being married to Kate Upton if she is amazing to boot? Why would Kobe have left the Lakers? I mean, people crap on LeBron, or many others, for leaving, yet Kobe demanded a ****ing trade from a team that gave him 3 championship haha.

lakers squad
09-01-2017, 04:42 AM
oh no, we KNOW that is the truth haha. He straight up helped run Shaq out of town because he was sick of sharing the spotlight, and being a #2. Just so happened to coincide with Shaq's decline, and Kobe's peak, so it happened to work out for the Lakers, and Kobe.

Yes Kobe wanted to be the man, that's part of the reason he wanted Shaq gone. Kobe also felt shaq was lazy, and did not stay in good enough shape, and that pissed Kobe off! Nonetheless this was a sad day for me as a lakers fan when this deal went down. I also wanted D. Wade in that deal and the Lakers tried to get him included, but the heat refused. But as you pointed out it all worked out for everyone involved in the end!

Hawkeye15
09-01-2017, 08:47 AM

I get the point you are trying to make, but we also can't pat a guy on the back for sticking it out in the rebuilding years with a franchise that is paying him for yesterday, and helped give him 5 rings. At that point, he doesn't owe anything to the Lakers, but cmon, it would be a total dick move to leave under any circumstance.

He is a type A, yes. Very difficult people, but also people who will win.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2017, 08:51 AM
Yes Kobe wanted to be the man, that's part of the reason he wanted Shaq gone. Kobe also felt shaq was lazy, and did not stay in good enough shape, and that pissed Kobe off! Nonetheless this was a sad day for me as a lakers fan when this deal went down. I also wanted D. Wade in that deal and the Lakers tried to get him included, but the heat refused. But as you pointed out it all worked out for everyone involved in the end!

I don't blame Kobe, he is type A, expects nothing but excellence from everyone around him, and those types are very tough to get along with. Jordan was the classic type A.

I interject when it's laid out like a compliment that Kobe stayed, because there is no context to that statement if it's given as a compliment to Kobe, and criticism to another player. What player wouldn't stay with the damn Lakers, while being provided what he had as teammates. That is like someone giving me a pat on the back for staying with Eva Mendes, and she lets her hot sisters bang me and is the coolest chick ever. Where the hell would I go?

WaDe03
09-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Even better, Wade will be the SG.

lakers squad
09-01-2017, 01:11 PM
@ Hawkeye....lmao, Love the way you put that! I completely agree!

ManRam
09-01-2017, 01:24 PM
the premise of this thread is stupid. nothing really else to say. guy is cooked. a "closer"? come on now.

LA4life24/8
09-01-2017, 10:06 PM
I mean if kobe was a ring chaser he coulda signed for the vets min w the spurs or warriors or cleveland... but hes not that guy either.

I get what you guys are tryna say too but honestly the whole "ring chasing mentality" is silly anyway... i mean isnt that the reason they all play for? They want to win. Every single player is ring chasing lol

Some guys just have different means of ring chasing, ie joining a loaded team ie durant. But at tbe end of the day some guys wanna win so badly they dont care what anyone says about them or thinks about them or what it does to their rep they just wanna win they'll do anything again ie durant joining the warriors.

Balltime
09-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Let's give props for Kobe for not ring chasing in today's era.

JasonJohnHorn
09-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Kobe had a hero-ball mentality. That doesn't work on a team like the Warriors. You got to be a willing and eager passer. Westbrook. Kobe. McGrady. I don't think those guys would fit on a team like that.

You could have a 'super team' with those guys with the right players. Kevin Garnett, for example, is willing to take less shots and focus on defense and rebounding. And if you threw in a C like Mutumbo, you got some more of the same. But even point guards who share would be less effective. Guys like Stockton and Chris Paul could play very well off the ball, but they are far more effective with the ball, and would do better for the team than simply letting a Kobe Bryant dominate the ball.

That said, if you had

PG: Kidd
SG: Kobe
SF: Korver
PF: KG
C: Mutumbo

That line up would constitute a super team with a role player and Kobe would fit in very well with that team.