PDA

View Full Version : How do people feel about kobes "challenges"?

Jamiecballer
08-29-2017, 02:43 PM
In case you hadn't heard, Kobe has been issuing challenges to other athletes via social media. The majority of them seem to be NBA players encouraging them to reach a new level ie. @JohnWall - make first team all-NBA defense, @Giannis - win MVP. As an aside Kobe clearly doesn't like Toronto @Derozan - reconnect with an old friend in Compton haha, like seriously, we gave you 81 you owe us.

Anyhoo, at first I thought it was pretty cool, and if Kobe has the respect and impact his fans have always maintained he has than someone may be inspired by his challenge for sure.

But didn't I hear Kobe was going to be very involved with the Lakers post playing days, if not as an actual employee still as a lifelong laker kinda thing? Doing whatever he can to help the Lakers organization?

I'm curious how Laker fans feel about this, because at first blush it's hard to see how this does anything to help the Lakers. This is the arena the Lakers compete in, if he is held in such high regard than you would think it would benefit the Lakers to have him issuing personal challenges to young Lakers only and not competitors no?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hawkeye15
08-29-2017, 02:45 PM
I think it's pretty cool actually

FlashBolt
08-29-2017, 02:46 PM
This is a non-topic, tbh. He's a basketball fan first-and-foremost and he's entitled to his opinion of what he wants a player to achieve. It's weird but I would have thought he would have issued a challenge to Kyrie to win a championship without LeBron or something. Seems he knows not to touch that subject, yet. Kinda pumped Giannis asked for a challenge because he didn't get one from Kobe and Kobe told him to be an MVP. Certainly possible if Giannis can get his team to at least 55 wins while posting absurd numbers.

cheddar08
08-29-2017, 02:51 PM
As a huge Kobe and Lakers fan, I find it pretty cool. He is always going to be a Laker but at this point he is just a fan. I enjoy it, he is still an idol to some of these guys playing and it is cool to see him interact from this standpoint instead of trying to destroy them on the court. It's a different side of Kobe you didn't get to see when he was playing.

Now if he took a role with the Lakers, that would be a different story.

Jamiecballer
08-29-2017, 02:54 PM
I think it's pretty cool actuallyAs do I.

Jamiecballer
08-29-2017, 02:56 PM
As a huge Kobe and Lakers fan, I find it pretty cool. He is always going to be a Laker but at this point he is just a fan. I enjoy it, he is still an idol to some of these guys playing and it is cool to see him interact from this standpoint instead of trying to destroy them on the court. It's a different side of Kobe you didn't get to see when he was playing.

Now if he took a role with the Lakers, that would be a different story.That's cool, see that's why I asked because I thought he was unofficially involving himself with the Lakers already but was not certain.

Jamiecballer
08-29-2017, 02:59 PM
This is a non-topic, tbh. He's a basketball fan first-and-foremost and he's entitled to his opinion of what he wants a player to achieve. It's weird but I would have thought he would have issued a challenge to Kyrie to win a championship without LeBron or something. Seems he knows not to touch that subject, yet. Kinda pumped Giannis asked for a challenge because he didn't get one from Kobe and Kobe told him to be an MVP. Certainly possible if Giannis can get his team to at least 55 wins while posting absurd numbers.Giannis asked for one? What a great sign from a young player to be reaching out to say gimme something

Vee-Rex
08-29-2017, 03:00 PM
I love it. I miss Kobe as-is, so any kind involvement in the NBA for him is cool from my perspective.

cheddar08
08-29-2017, 03:01 PM
That's cool, see that's why I asked because I thought he was unofficially involving himself with the Lakers already but was not certain.

At the moment he isn't involved at all, as far as I am aware. I think he doesn't want to get involved now that Magic has taken over until may be he is a bit more established in the front office. Would be huge breaking news to see Magic and Kobe differ on an opinion that effects the team. Best off to leave one cook in the kitchen until things get better in my opinion.

Jamiecballer
08-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Couldn't he have challenged DeMar to play defense

FlashBolt
08-29-2017, 03:07 PM
Giannis asked for one? What a great sign from a young player to be reaching out to say gimme something

https://twitter.com/giannis_an34/status/900767397556232192

Yeah, it was definitely a good sign for Bucks fans, haha. Gotta love it.

LaVar Ball
08-29-2017, 03:12 PM
I challenge Kobe to come out of retirement and play with mah boy!

aman_13
08-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Kobe said he barely watched last year lol.

lakerfan85
08-29-2017, 03:44 PM
I think it's cool also.. I think the NBA needs more past greats to do things like this... Most of the time you have former players bashing today's players..

Hustla23
08-29-2017, 03:46 PM
Couldn't he have challenged DeMar to play defense

lmao underrated comment.

valade16
08-29-2017, 03:47 PM
That's a hell of a bar to set for Giannis. He asked for one so lets see how he does.

TheDish87
08-29-2017, 03:51 PM
its not like Kobe is motivating these guys via social media.

europagnpilgrim
08-29-2017, 03:52 PM
nothing wrong with it at all

he is motivating those players and it carries weight since he did what he did while playing

and plus its not like he is saying far fetched scenarios, Giannis is the mvp of his team which could translate over to league mvp status if his team wins more games, IT was in the mvp race talk so making 1st team all nba isn't out the question though it will be tough with the guards today and him duplicating what he did this past season

I don't remember the other challenges he threw out there but I am sure they are well within that such players range to accomplish

Jamiecballer
08-29-2017, 03:55 PM
its not like Kobe is motivating these guys via social media.Maybe. If Jordan is your guy though and he calls you out and says something like that it could be something you want to live up to because you hold them in such high regard

KingPosey
08-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Also aren't they all under the same shoe company he's under?

TheDish87
08-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Maybe. If Jordan is your guy though and he calls you out and says something like that it could be something you want to live up to because you hold them in such high regard

eh i get your point but its via the internet and he is just stating the obvious i feel. Of course Giannis is working to become MVP or Wall to be even better on D, etc. Now if he were contacting them in a more personal way it might hold more weight however to me personally Kobe is gone and not involved in the league so i doubt these guys put much stock in it and just appreciate him thinking of them or whatever.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2017, 04:49 PM

Now if he took a role with the Lakers, that would be a different story.

yep. Every NBA player grew up loving specific players, teams, etc. They are straight up fans, just like the rest of us

jaydubb
08-29-2017, 06:06 PM
In case you hadn't heard, Kobe has been issuing challenges to other athletes via social media. The majority of them seem to be NBA players encouraging them to reach a new level ie. @JohnWall - make first team all-NBA defense, @Giannis - win MVP. As an aside Kobe clearly doesn't like Toronto @Derozan - reconnect with an old friend in Compton haha, like seriously, we gave you 81 you owe us.

Anyhoo, at first I thought it was pretty cool, and if Kobe has the respect and impact his fans have always maintained he has than someone may be inspired by his challenge for sure.

But didn't I hear Kobe was going to be very involved with the Lakers post playing days, if not as an actual employee still as a lifelong laker kinda thing? Doing whatever he can to help the Lakers organization?

I'm curious how Laker fans feel about this, because at first blush it's hard to see how this does anything to help the Lakers. This is the arena the Lakers compete in, if he is held in such high regard than you would think it would benefit the Lakers to have him issuing personal challenges to young Lakers only and not competitors no?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using TapatalkAs a laker fan, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.. Kobe has always been the type of guy to help other players from different teams on their game, even while he was still playing in the nba. Challenging other players to reach their potential shouldn't really come as a surprise to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DanG
08-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Come on now, we are all people, we should celebrate success. If Giannis wins MVP at the age of 23, it's because of the hard work he's put in. Just because I'm a Lakerfan doesn't mean that now I hope Jayson Tatum busts because he's on the rival Celtics. I just hope the players on the Lakers ball out.

D-Leethal
08-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Kinda corny but I like how Kobe is branding himself post-NBA career.

FlashBolt
08-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Come on now, we are all people, we should celebrate success. If Giannis wins MVP at the age of 23, it's because of the hard work he's put in. Just because I'm a Lakerfan doesn't mean that now I hope Jayson Tatum busts because he's on the rival Celtics. I just hope the players on the Lakers ball out.

Everyone here loves Giannis but him winning an MVP, he has to show an improves leadership quality and be able to put his team in a competitive atmosphere.

Jeffy25
08-31-2017, 12:42 AM
It's fine?

I care so incredibly little about what players have to say off the court. But cool, challenge players to do more.

This is the part of the NBA I detest. The talk.

Sssmush
08-31-2017, 12:48 AM

"Lonzo Ball - Do not be worst defensive player in entire league and have a PER greater than 5. Also do not bring the reality TV crew into the locker room more than 100 times."

Sssmush
08-31-2017, 12:51 AM
"Demarcus Cousins -- **** that ****."