PDA

View Full Version : Rockets owner Leslie Alexander donates $10 million towards HarveyFund

FlashBolt
08-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Not basketball related but I think this is the biggest news out there in any subject. Props to the Rockets owner. Initially he planned to donate $4 million but raised it to $10 million.

Heediot
08-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Mad props. He's the type that's wants to be low key about it too.

Vinylman
08-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Awesome gesture

likemystylez
08-29-2017, 04:22 PM
I love how he did it under the radar too. Hopefully some more heavy hitters jump in.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2017, 04:30 PM
The community of Houston is going to need so much help. Having lived there for 19 years, I can tell you they hate big government, were laughing at how helpless New Orleans was so many years after Katrina (seriously, there are still houses with tarps, ****ing fix it yourself already), and the city is very resilient. But this hurricane is just destroying Houston. They will need real help, well outside the dysfunctional, terribly inefficient FEMA, or anything else the govt offers. Alexander's efforts are awesome, and hopefully the city recovers sooner rather than later. But this **** will take some time to recover from, even for a city that doesn't sit around waiting for Daddy Washington to assist them with everything.

mrblisterdundee
08-29-2017, 08:01 PM
The community of Houston is going to need so much help. Having lived there for 19 years, I can tell you they hate big government, were laughing at how helpless New Orleans was so many years after Katrina (seriously, there are still houses with tarps, ****ing fix it yourself already), and the city is very resilient. But this hurricane is just destroying Houston. They will need real help, well outside the dysfunctional, terribly inefficient FEMA, or anything else the govt offers. Alexander's efforts are awesome, and hopefully the city recovers sooner rather than later. But this **** will take some time to recover from, even for a city that doesn't sit around waiting for Daddy Washington to assist them with everything.

The recovery will take years, and will most assuredly require billions from your much-maligned "Daddy Washington." Part of Houston's flooding issues stem from the lack of regulations regarding impervious surfaces, perfect for pooling water.

IndyRealist
08-29-2017, 08:17 PM
I was going to comment, but the thread this direction is going in is nonsense.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Part of the flooding also might be 4 feet of water in 4 days in a city at sea level....

Point is, Houston will actually need help. In years past they essentially asked FEMA to leave they are so poor at what they do. Certain cities are more dependent than others. Houstonians are in a spot they never thought they would be, needing their neighbors help, and the help of those everywhere.

JordansBulls
08-29-2017, 09:52 PM
Glad to see him helping out. Had water up halfway to my driveway and flooded in the street about 3 feet. We got a 7-8 hour break after the last band that was spewing out 5-6 inches of rain an hour. That break saved us from getting water inside. I will be personally apart of the relief work effort.

Vinylman
08-30-2017, 07:30 AM
not ripping the nba but alexander gives $10 million and all the NBA can do is give $1 million and the same for the NBAPA when they make billions upon billions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

pretty sad

jaydubb
08-30-2017, 07:53 AM
This will be a nice tax write off

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Vinsanity115
08-30-2017, 09:12 AM

Good publicity and tax write off!

Better than not doing anything though? Cant say the money wort help.

Vinsanity115
08-30-2017, 09:12 AM
I lived in Texas 4 years, knew some people in Houston, most of them didn't believe it would get this large and did not evacuate initially. Crazy stuff going on, scary to even look at the depth of that water..

Hawkeye15
08-30-2017, 09:38 AM
I lived in Texas 4 years, knew some people in Houston, most of them didn't believe it would get this large and did not evacuate initially. Crazy stuff going on, scary to even look at the depth of that water..

I lived in Houston for 14 years. There was a storm right after Katrina (can't remember the name), and EVERYONE left. You basically sat in a car for 10 hours to drive 100 miles, the roads were so packed with people fleeing. The storm blew over a few lawn chairs....people in Houston weren't leaving after that. I sat through Rita, nobody left. If you have been stuck trying to leave and been in a hot, miserable car, with nowhere to go to the bathroom, for 12 hours, you won't leave even if a category 10 is headed your way.

This time? You are ****ed. Houses that have never flooded, are 5 feet underwater right now. The city is screwed, it will take so much recovery from people there. Flood insurance? Great that you have it, but you are now claim 1 of 80,000?

Just sucks all the way around

IndyRealist
08-30-2017, 09:42 AM

Most corporate donations are. Doesn't mean it helps any less.

Hawkeye15
08-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Most corporate donations are. Doesn't mean it helps any less.

plus you don't get to write off every penny of donations most the time.

btw, don't mind my posts above. Due to personal experiences, I get so fired up over hurricane relief. Irrational is the word I would use actually. Needless to say, I hate New Orleans.

Saddletramp
08-30-2017, 04:41 PM
I lived in Houston for 14 years. There was a storm right after Katrina (can't remember the name), and EVERYONE left. You basically sat in a car for 10 hours to drive 100 miles, the roads were so packed with people fleeing. The storm blew over a few lawn chairs....people in Houston weren't leaving after that. I sat through Rita, nobody left. If you have been stuck trying to leave and been in a hot, miserable car, with nowhere to go to the bathroom, for 12 hours, you won't leave even if a category 10 is headed your way.

This time? You are ****ed. Houses that have never flooded, are 5 feet underwater right now. The city is screwed, it will take so much recovery from people there. Flood insurance? Great that you have it, but you are now claim 1 of 80,000?

Just sucks all the way around

Rita was after Katrina. You're probably thinking of Ike when people didn't leave but the worst part of Ike was the storm surge. And that was devastating. Not necessarily to Houston, but the coastline and Galveston were hammered with up to 14 feet of water. I lost two cars and the only reason I didn't lose all of my belongings was because I lived on the second floor of an apartment.

https://youtu.be/J1BcBaam7c8

Saddletramp
08-30-2017, 04:49 PM
And awesome on Leslie Alexander. One of the greatest owners in sports and it goes beyond sports with him.

FlashBolt
08-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Hate when people donate and some smarty always has to say "tax-writeoff." Why don't YOU donate your money and claim a write-off.. no one does it because it's not beneficial. It's better you don't donate.

FlashBolt
08-30-2017, 09:10 PM
And awesome on Leslie Alexander. One of the greatest owners in sports and it goes beyond sports with him.

Micky Arison donated $2 million, too.

Saddletramp
08-30-2017, 10:31 PM
Micky Arison donated $2 million, too.

Awesome. JJ Watt started a fund starting at a $200,000 goal and last I heard its up to $8.5 million. Incredible. The Titans, Jets and Patriots are some other teams/owners that have donated $1 million as well. Amazing.

FlashBolt
08-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Awesome. JJ Watt started a fund starting at a $200,000 goal and last I heard its up to $8.5 million. Incredible. The Titans, Jets and Patriots are some other teams/owners that have donated $1 million as well. Amazing.

Always liked J.J. Watt. Bit disappointed other NBA players aren't stepping up considering they're making this much. Still no word from LeBron regarding this issue.. dude is always the first to step up. I hope they get a charity game going to raise money. Some All-Star type event. Pretty sure they can easily raise money with how much celebs and fans are dying for a basketball game to watch.

Saddletramp
08-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Always liked J.J. Watt. Bit disappointed other NBA players aren't stepping up considering they're making this much. Still no word from LeBron regarding this issue.. dude is always the first to step up. I hope they get a charity game going to raise money. Some All-Star type event. Pretty sure they can easily raise money with how much celebs and fans are dying for a basketball game to watch.

Yeah. It'd be great if Harden or even CP3 were doing something like what Watt's been doing. Clint Capella has apparently been retweeting a bunch of storm related rescue info. He's a solid dude.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Rita was after Katrina. You're probably thinking of Ike when people didn't leave but the worst part of Ike was the storm surge. And that was devastating. Not necessarily to Houston, but the coastline and Galveston were hammered with up to 14 feet of water. I lost two cars and the only reason I didn't lose all of my belongings was because I lived on the second floor of an apartment.

https://youtu.be/J1BcBaam7c8

Yeah, Galveston did get a surge. I remember driving down Broadway, and there were boats in the middle of the street. I actually went to college in Galveston. I LOVE that city. I lived at 18th and Winnie for 3 years, in a house built in 1892, that survived Karla. God the parties and chicks from that house....ahhhhh

I meant specifically Houstonians. I, and many, sat in parking lots of cars, trying to flee, only for it to be nothing to Houston. After that, nobody was leaving, for anything short of an incoming asteroid.

tucksoe
08-31-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah. It'd be great if Harden or even CP3 were doing something like what Watt's been doing. Clint Capella has apparently been retweeting a bunch of storm related rescue info. He's a solid dude.
CP3 gave $50,000!!

FlashBolt
08-31-2017, 11:03 AM
CP3 gave $50,000!!

That's less than 1%. One-fifth of one percent. Sandra Bullock donated $1 million and she doesn't even make nearly as much.

Saddletramp
08-31-2017, 01:40 PM
Yeah, Galveston did get a surge. I remember driving down Broadway, and there were boats in the middle of the street. I actually went to college in Galveston. I LOVE that city. I lived at 18th and Winnie for 3 years, in a house built in 1892, that survived Karla. God the parties and chicks from that house....ahhhhh

I meant specifically Houstonians. I, and many, sat in parking lots of cars, trying to flee, only for it to be nothing to Houston. After that, nobody was leaving, for anything short of an incoming asteroid.

Oh yeah, and what's odd is they've smartened up and now allow incoming lanes to serve as outgoing lanes at places but Houstonians still won't leave. Gotta include the looting a-holes as a reason, too.

The Strand flooded but it's already drained. We definitely got off lucky down on the Island.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Oh yeah, and what's odd is they've smartened up and now allow incoming lanes to serve as outgoing lanes at places but Houstonians still won't leave. Gotta include the looting a-holes as a reason, too.

The Strand flooded but it's already drained. We definitely got off lucky down on the Island.

man, good memories on the Strand dude. That was my jam from 1996-2000, and I visited many times after for the cook-offs, and just in general. My good buddy runs a team that dominates the seafood portion of the cookoff every year haha.

Vinsanity115
08-31-2017, 01:58 PM

Just sucks all the way aroundThat explains things a little more. I guess I kind of am the same way and would have underestimated it too..they often never do turn out this size result.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk