PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't Westbrook signed?

Scoots
08-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Total speculation, but is there any reason for him to not sign that's good for OKC?

Vinylman
08-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Have they offered the extension?

Only reason if he wants to stay is to help build a better team by taking less next offseason

Logically it is because he thinks he could leave next summer

warfelg
08-26-2017, 06:35 PM
The only one I can think of is selfish:
He wants to wait until after the season and hopes the cap goes up to over $100mil, and he can qualify to the supermax at over $100mil cap.

That's roughly:
$35,000,000
$37,800,000
$40,824,000
$44,089,920
$47,617,113

That's a lotta dough right there. He loses out on roughly $8mil by signing right now.

Romeo Naes
08-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Keeping his options open. Smart man.

goingfor28
08-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Waiting for KD to come home

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Balltime
08-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Keeping his Laker dream window open. Paul George must be in his ear.

Scoots
08-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Have they offered the extension?

Only reason if he wants to stay is to help build a better team by taking less next offseason

Logically it is because he thinks he could leave next summer

Yes, $207M has been on the table for a while now.

He could be holding back to make sure the team offers PG huge money next year before he signs.

Vinylman
08-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Yes, $207M has been on the table for a while now.

He could be holding back to make sure the team offers PG huge money next year before he signs.

I actually think he wants to stay and if he does he might as well help the team have the most flexibility...

Can he get more years next year signing an extension then?

warfelg
08-26-2017, 08:22 PM
I actually think he wants to stay and if he does he might as well help the team have the most flexibility...

Can he get more years next year signing an extension then?

No, but there is a strange CBA rule about an extension can't go up by a certain amount if signed before a certain amount of time after the original contract.

IIRC this is kinda like Wall's deal. They agreed but he won't sign until the date passes.

Dade County
08-26-2017, 08:41 PM
The creation of a new super super team that can take down GS.

Bostonjorge
08-26-2017, 09:43 PM
He's waiting to see if his arch enemy wins another title. Okc is one big time player away from beating GS. If not then he can form the team to stop his arch enemy form three peating. Turn James into Robin and take down the bad guys once and for all.

Scoots
08-26-2017, 11:47 PM
He's waiting to see if his arch enemy wins another title. Okc is one big time player away from beating GS. If not then he can form the team to stop his arch enemy form three peating. Turn James into Robin and take down the bad guys once and for all.

IIRC the contract offer is automatically void if he doesn't sign in the next month or so.

Dade County
08-26-2017, 11:51 PM
IIRC the contract offer is automatically void if he doesn't sign in the next month or so.

Good.

Hope he doesn't sign.

Westbrook, Lbj, PG & whoever need to join forces. Maybe all of them go to Lakers or an organization that can give them at least 25mil each.

Scoots
08-27-2017, 01:17 AM
Good.

Hope he doesn't sign.

Westbrook, Lbj, PG & whoever need to join forces. Maybe all of them go to Lakers or an organization that can give them at least 25mil each.

Westbrook and LBJ on one team would certainly be interesting.

Bostonjorge
08-27-2017, 04:23 AM
Good.

Hope he doesn't sign.

This is Durants nightmare. It's a "if" to happen but this is what Durant wakes up to screaming. Seeeing his "old Robin" or if you saw him as that, coming for him. If it's in a Okc jersey or not, Durant has fear. Westbrook is coming GS. Coming for revenge.

Scoots
08-27-2017, 09:15 AM
This is Durants nightmare. It's a "if" to happen but this is what Durant wakes up to screaming. Seeeing his "old Robin" or if you saw him as that, coming for him. If it's in a Okc jersey or not, Durant has fear. Westbrook is coming GS. Coming for revenge.

Hehe ... I doubt it. But it would be interesting to say the least.

Bostonjorge
08-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Hehe ... I doubt it. But it would be interesting to say the least.

I'm just hyping up the Westbrook vs Durant matchup. I actually like watching GS and especially Green play. Just having some fun with the rivalry of old teammates.

The $207 million contract extension is crazy $ to pass up. Most players would of signed the guarantee contract on the first day.

Scoots
08-27-2017, 01:25 PM
I'm just hyping up the Westbrook vs Durant matchup. I actually like watching GS and especially Green play. Just having some fun with the rivalry of old teammates.

The $207 million contract extension is crazy $ to pass up. Most players would of signed the guarantee contract on the first day.

If the cap decreases next year they won't be able to offer as much ... but if it increases they will be able to offer more. If he was waiting until next year to see if PG stayed I would think the team would have known that and not made him the formal offer (If Westbrook was being a team player and keeping the team informed of his thinking).

FlashBolt
08-27-2017, 02:00 PM
A) Keeping options open with leverage.

2) He wants to leave.

I'm assuming he wants to figure out what OKC can do in regards to Paul George just so they can try and make salaries work.

Scoots
08-27-2017, 02:50 PM
A) Keeping options open with leverage.

2) He wants to leave.

I'm assuming he wants to figure out what OKC can do in regards to Paul George just so they can try and make salaries work.

I was assuming it was your last note ... but if that was true wouldn't he and his agent have made that clear and the team wouldn't have made the offer just to have it sit out there all this time?

FlashBolt
08-27-2017, 03:30 PM
I was assuming it was your last note ... but if that was true wouldn't he and his agent have made that clear and the team wouldn't have made the offer just to have it sit out there all this time?

Well, I mean next season is huge for us in regards to:

PG
Kanter
Westbrook

All are under player options for that season and I fully expect PG+Westbrook to opt out while Kanter opts in. I would like for Kanter to opt out because he's already gotten so much while doing so little but I doubt it. The guy won't see this type of money from us again and I doubt teams are THAT interested in him.

However, assuming all of them opt out, we have a lot of room to work with. I'm guessing Westbrook is willing to take more/less depending on the situation. If PG stays, I can see Westbrook staying. If PG leaves, I think Westbrook wants to see where we're heading. Quite frankly, I don't know either. Ideal scenario for us would be for Kanter to opt out and take less on a lengthier contract, get Westbrook to reisgn, and try to surround him with at least another All-Star talent with shooters. I feel we don't need a player as good as PG but just someone who Westbrook can rely on to make an impact at times. I really doubt PG resigns but we'll see. If we get to the WCF, I can see it happening.

Bostonjorge
08-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Westbrook and Durant was a tough out come playoff time. George is no Durant but I see him taking the Robin roll better then both west/Durant did. GS is the only team I see running them off the court but not in 4. Don't know if Kanter only plays good against the Spurs but he needs to be that 3rd scoring option.

Want to see the Okc vs Rockets rematch.

LOb0
08-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Because OKC has cheap *** owners that only make moves when someone threatens to leave and has no one good locked up on the team?

I still think he should sign because his knees could go at any time.

KingPosey
08-28-2017, 05:46 PM
The only one I can think of is selfish:
He wants to wait until after the season and hopes the cap goes up to over $100mil, and he can qualify to the supermax at over $100mil cap.

That's roughly:
$35,000,000
$37,800,000
$40,824,000
$44,089,920
$47,617,113

That's a lotta dough right there. He loses out on roughly $8mil by signing right now.

That's the ONLY reason you can think of? I mean I also immediately think that maybe he wants to wait to see if he can convince PG to stay after he likes it and they both work their deals to get more help. I guess that's unheard of though

europagnpilgrim
08-28-2017, 06:01 PM
He is keeping his options open like any smart player would do, he wants to probably get pampered as well by other teams to see what it feels like on the open market like KD/Lebron/Melo did prior, he might want a bigger market like a NY/Chicago , if he average a triple double in that type of market he would be 5x a better player if you let the media hype in NY speak on it, they would say he was Magic/Kidd/Oscar all combined with Lebron athletic ability with AI attack mode/heart

if I were him I would go elsewhere(NY pretty much) since he has basically maxed out his welcome in OKC with a Finals trip and a league mvp award, as well getting to the WCF in a decade

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Keeping his Laker dream window open. Paul George must be in his ear.
Exactly. They have a pretty short window with their rookie deals. But let's say the free agents come in 2018-19. They'd easily have:

PG: Ball, Ennis
SG: Clarkson, Hart
SF: George, Ingram, Kuzma
PF: James, Nance Jr.
C: Zubac, Bryant

They could even try George at shooting guard. The only significant weakness is at center, but they'd have ring-chasers lining up around the block.

Bostonjorge
08-28-2017, 09:13 PM
Exactly. They have a pretty short window with their rookie deals. But let's say the free agents come in 2018-19. They'd easily have:

PG: Ball, Ennis
SG: Clarkson, Hart
SF: George, Ingram, Kuzma
PF: James, Nance Jr.
C: Zubac, Bryant

They could even try George at shooting guard. The only significant weakness is at center, but they'd have ring-chasers lining up around the block.

The lakers C matchups against GS C really good I would say.

FlashBolt
08-28-2017, 10:53 PM
LeBron isn't going to LAL with those rookies wasting his prime years against the Warriors. If he's going to LAL, he's getting more than PG to that team..

LaVar Ball
08-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Lakers

Cal827
08-28-2017, 11:48 PM
^ The Great Lavar Ball has Spoken!

Cal827
08-28-2017, 11:49 PM
Also, what Flashbolt said, options open with leverage.... I feel he resigns, but he wants to light a little fire under management to ensure the team remains a legitimate contender.

TheDish87
08-29-2017, 01:24 PM
bcuz hes going to the Lakers, duh

SfgiantsJD3
08-29-2017, 02:47 PM
I think OKC has pens on backorder

LA4life24/8
08-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Options... thats all. Just like lebron pg13 cp3 boogie etc... none of them know what they are gonna do yet, westy doesn't wanna get locked up even for insane money until he knows all his options and where the chips are gonna fall.

likemystylez
08-29-2017, 09:53 PM
if westbrook doesnt end up re signing- the durant haters best issue an apology. One of the main reasons durant left OKC is that he was unclear of the future of that team... where the warriors seemed to be on the same page up and down the organization

FlashBolt
08-29-2017, 09:59 PM
if westbrook doesnt end up re signing- the durant haters best issue an apology. One of the main reasons durant left OKC is that he was unclear of the future of that team... where the warriors seemed to be on the same page up and down the organization

People hate Durant because of the team he joined.. not why he left. If he had gone to the Wizards or something, backlash would only come from OKC fans. Since he went to the Warriors, backlash comes from pretty much a fan of every team outside the Warriors fanbase.

LaVar Ball
08-30-2017, 12:41 AM

Incorrect. Westbrook going to a rebuilding team like the Lakers isn't the same as Durant going to a 73-9 Warriors team who came up short in the final minute from repeating as champions.

hugepatsfan
08-30-2017, 02:49 PM
People hate Durant because of the team he joined.. not why he left. If he had gone to the Wizards or something, backlash would only come from OKC fans. Since he went to the Warriors, backlash comes from pretty much a fan of every team outside the Warriors fanbase.

I'd still hate him if he went to WAS :D

In all seriousness though you absolutely hit the nail on the head. I think there will be some disappointment with Westbrook anyway just because of how he's been held up as the guy who will stick with his team. It'd be a let-down if he left as a neutral fan. But it wouldn't be a ***** move like KD's signing was.

Scoots
08-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Incorrect. Westbrook going to a rebuilding team like the Lakers isn't the same as Durant going to a 73-9 Warriors team who came up short in the final minute from repeating as champions.

"rebuilding"? I thought the Lakers were rocketing right to the top?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Why commit now when the same offer will be there a year from now?

Scoots
08-31-2017, 11:13 AM
Why commit now when the same offer will be there a year from now?

From Westbrook's side, security. From the Thunder side, ability to plan and market.

R. Johnson#3
09-02-2017, 11:57 PM
In all honesty I think it's because he wants to see how it plays out with PG. I believe Russ wants to stay in OKC but first he wants to see if it all works out.