PDA

View Full Version : Noel resigns with Dallas

redsox12
08-26-2017, 01:30 PM
Nerlens Noel will sign a one-year, $4.1 million qualifying offer with the Mavericks, according to Chris Hayes of ESPN.

rotoworld

ewing
08-26-2017, 01:34 PM
rotoworld

wow, that's peanuts. i think his guy could really help some playoff teams. Mobile rim protection should be at a premium with all the small ball going on

IndyRealist
08-26-2017, 01:35 PM
More players should play on the qualifying offer and be unrestricted the next year. Good for him.

eDush
08-26-2017, 01:37 PM
rotoworld

wow, that's peanuts. i think his guy could really help some playoff teams. Mobile rim protection should be at a premium with all the small ball going onLol how much you make to call that peanuts?
:no:

FlashBolt
08-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Nerlin is a very good player. Hope he stays healthy. Always liked the dude but felt Sixers gave up on him too soon.

ewing
08-26-2017, 01:43 PM
how do qualifying offers work?

Scoots
08-26-2017, 01:43 PM
More players should play on the qualifying offer and be unrestricted the next year. Good for him.

I agree.

IndyRealist
08-26-2017, 01:44 PM
Nerlin is a very good player. Hope he stays healthy. Always liked the dude but felt Sixers gave up on him too soon.

I think the Sixers just had a cluster **** in their frontcourt and needed to do something. They always intended to trade one of the 3 but overestimated the market for Okafor.

IndyRealist
08-26-2017, 01:47 PM

The team extends a QO to retain his rights and make him restricted. He can sign a deal, which the team can match, or he can play 1 year for the QO. I believe if he plays on a QO he can refuse to be traded. The following year he is unrestricted, though his Bird rights are still with his old team.

warfelg
08-26-2017, 01:48 PM
I think the Sixers just had a cluster **** in their frontcourt and needed to do something. They always intended to trade one of the 3 but overestimated the market for Okafor.

We didn't overestimate the market. Colangelo thought there was a market.

eDush
08-26-2017, 01:56 PM

I think the Sixers just had a cluster **** in their frontcourt and needed to do something. They always intended to trade one of the 3 but overestimated the market for Okafor.They just need to play Okafor cause he is unstoppable in the paint and everyone knows it including the Mavs coach looking befuddled at coming up with a strategy to stop him!
https://youtu.be/nKnwVCBkeEg

I would take Okafor over Noel all day long FTW :clap:

IndyRealist
08-26-2017, 02:02 PM
They just need to play Okafor cause he is unstoppable in the paint and everyone knows it including the Mavs coach looking befuddled at coming up with a strategy to stop him!

Adam Morrison once scored 30 in a game. Brandon Jennings scored 55 once. Single games don't mean much. Everyone looks good in highlights.

warfelg
08-26-2017, 02:10 PM
They just need to play Okafor cause he is unstoppable in the paint and everyone knows it including the Mavs coach looking befuddled at coming up with a strategy to stop him!

Okafor is ****.

eDush
08-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Adam Morrison once scored 30 in a game. Brandon Jennings scored 55 once. Single games don't mean much. Everyone looks good in highlights.Lol you're crazy if ur comparing them to Okafor who plays like a prime Duncan in the paint without the defense. Everyone favorite Boogie can't even stop Okafor...why is that?!?
:shrug:

https://youtu.be/RXIZEAo9Fec
The Sixers doesn't run any plays for Okafor cause they don't care about winning games to get high picks duh. If I was the Dubs GM, I would trade their Iggy back for Okafor straight up right now and consider myself lucky! :nod:

:dance:

eDush
08-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Okafor is ****.No true center can dominate the paint like Okafor other than Duncan. Not his fault that the Sixers wants to lose by not running plays for him but he still can score all day long in the paint, trust me on this :nod:

https://youtu.be/H8D74ovRMo0
Smooth baby!!!
:cheer:

Chronz
08-26-2017, 02:25 PM

Why the **** doesn't a team just offer a 2 year deal player option at the max tho?

eDush
08-26-2017, 02:25 PM
So who wins this matchup between Okafor and Towns?!?
https://youtu.be/20VGdpFAhCM

I say Okafor without bias but you still have haters here comparing him to Morrison :crazy:

I'm just being honest when I say the Sixers is misusing Okafor in order to lose games for high picks :(

Chronz
08-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Play 2k at least fake fan

ewing
08-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Play 2k at least fake fan

what?

Chronz
08-26-2017, 02:27 PM

Do you think hinkie would've valued them all the same way

warfelg
08-26-2017, 02:29 PM
No true center can dominate the paint like Okafor other than Duncan. Not his fault that the Sixers wants to lose by not running plays for him but he still can score all day long in the paint, trust me on this :nod:

https://youtu.be/H8D74ovRMo0
Smooth baby!!!
:cheer:

Except Duncan could play off ball, pass, rebound, get lose balls, play defense. You know....everything else required to play in the NBA.

Take it as someone that's had the misfortune of watching every Okafor game the last two years...he's ****. And his entire rookie season the offense ran through him and it was cap.

Oh and no true center can dominate the paint?

Yea except Whiteside, Embiid, Jokic, Gasol....

warfelg
08-26-2017, 02:33 PM

No.

Especially if you believe the rumor of on draft night Hinkie wanted to take Porzingas regardless of what happened and ownership overroad him.

tp13baby
08-26-2017, 02:36 PM

Honestly can't believe the forum where people that Okafor would be better than Towns. Seriously made me laugh and it wasn't even close in my opinion.

eDush
08-26-2017, 02:37 PM

No.

Especially if you believe the rumor of on draft night Hinkie wanted to take Porzingas regardless of what happened and ownership overroad him.I thought Hinkie wanted Dlo if he was available regardless if KP was there or not

warfelg
08-26-2017, 02:41 PM
I thought Hinkie wanted Dlo if he was available regardless if KP was there or not

DLo to us was a very media created (and somewhat fan) narrative because of the lack of a guard.

Most people think his board was Towns/KP/Another PG/DLo/Okafor, and owners went DLo/Okafor/Towns.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-26-2017, 02:51 PM
I always wanted Noel on the Bucks. But not at $20M per unless it was a sign and trade and Mavs took on any two of these three Delly, Telly, Henson.

ewing
08-26-2017, 03:00 PM

no, he's a genius

Scoots
08-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Despite this Noel is still FAR more likely to stay than to leave the Mavs. Next year a few teams will have money, but will they value Noel over what is looking like a stacked FA class compared to the Mavs being able to fill their roster and still max Noel?

IndyRealist
08-26-2017, 08:13 PM

I think Philly was trying to exploit a market inefficiency: that people overvalue players drafted highly regardless of their actual performance. There was likely some GM out there, like eDush, that thinks that Okafor was just misused and that HE would be the one to turn Okafor into an all-star. Darko Milicic was in the league TEN YEARS due to that market inefficiency. NBA teams are just smarter now, and he burned his trade opportunities by asking for an astronomical ransom early (much like Kevin Pritchard did with Paul George).

Mr.B
08-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Despite this Noel is still FAR more likely to stay than to leave the Mavs. Next year a few teams will have money, but will they value Noel over what is looking like a stacked FA class compared to the Mavs being able to fill their roster and still max Noel?

That's definitely possible. Although I also would not be surprised if the Mavs trade Noel at the deadline.

Scoots
08-26-2017, 11:46 PM
That's definitely possible. Although I also would not be surprised if the Mavs trade Noel at the deadline.

In a lot of ways Noel is a perfect center for the modern NBA ... except the shooting, but you can't have everything. If I was the Mavs I wouldn't let him get away easy.

TheDish87
08-27-2017, 09:42 AM
how this dude turned dow 4/70 is unreal. hes not worth a max and its highly doubtful he gets offered one next year

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Monroe did same thing with Pistons. Noel just came from a lottery team and going to a old washed up Dirk team. Matthews over paid and injuryprone and getting up there in age. Dirk should of retired. Barnes is so so. Noel is like nah I'm hitting the road after this season.

Vinylman
08-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Monroe did same thing with Pistons. Noel just came from a lottery team and going to a old washed up Dirk team. Matthews over paid and injuryprone and getting up there in age. Dirk should of retired. Barnes is so so. Noel is like nah I'm hitting the road after this season.

Wasn't Monroe different though? He didn't want Detroit to match and didn't he by playing for the QO get to the cap explosion year?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Moose I believe just wanted out of Detroit so he flat out took the QO. Then following year got max deal by my Bucks.

Oakmont_4
08-27-2017, 11:18 AM
We didn't overestimate the market. Colangelo thought there was a market.

There was a market, he flat out refused to trade him to BOS. Then waited to long and panicked. He didn't get close to full value. Played it all wrong.

Oakmont_4
08-27-2017, 11:20 AM
how this dude turned dow 4/70 is unreal. hes not worth a max and its highly doubtful he gets offered one next year

Probably doesn't want to be in DAL. Taking the QO and betting on himself was his only way out. Yeah 4/$70 is a great contract, but he's taking a deal that's below market, because their is no competition for his services being he's a RFA. He'll bet on himself and get that same contract on a team he wants to go to, if not a better one. So long as he stays healthy this was a good move by him.

Oakmont_4
08-27-2017, 11:22 AM
In a lot of ways Noel is a perfect center for the modern NBA ... except the shooting, but you can't have everything. If I was the Mavs I wouldn't let him get away easy.

If he plays well, I could see the C's chasing him hard at the deadline. He's a perfect fit into their weaknesses and now that his contract isn't a crazy number, they can actually afford to bring him in. If he tells DAL he doesn't want to be there long term, they'll get something for him while they can

warfelg
08-27-2017, 11:28 AM
There was a market, he flat out refused to trade him to BOS. Then waited to long and panicked. He didn't get close to full value. Played it all wrong.

I agree 100%.

Half the reason he had this mess was he kept turning down offers for Okafor because he through the could get more, then boxed himself into a corner of having to deal someone just to move them. Take any one of the Okafor deals and the Noel situation plays out completely differently.

Oakmont_4
08-27-2017, 11:31 AM
I agree 100%.

Half the reason he had this mess was he kept turning down offers for Okafor because he through the could get more, then boxed himself into a corner of having to deal someone just to move them. Take any one of the Okafor deals and the Noel situation plays out completely differently.

Yeah, he's still in PHI and you guys are a better team haha. Completely agree

Scoots
08-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Probably doesn't want to be in DAL. Taking the QO and betting on himself was his only way out. Yeah 4/$70 is a great contract, but he's taking a deal that's below market, because their is no competition for his services being he's a RFA. He'll bet on himself and get that same contract on a team he wants to go to, if not a better one. So long as he stays healthy this was a good move by him.

I don't know that he has any issue with being in Dallas ... if he wants more money waiting is the way to get it ... even if it's staying in Dallas.

warfelg
08-27-2017, 03:34 PM
I don't know that he has any issue with being in Dallas ... if he wants more money waiting is the way to get it ... even if it's staying in Dallas.

Yup. Like I predicted at the start RFA was gonna suck for him because Dallas had the cap space to counter any offer. Noel had 0 leverage. Now with the QO if Dallas wants him next year they have to pay.

FlashBolt
08-27-2017, 03:34 PM
I don't know why Dallas is having trouble attracting free agents. If there was a boss I'd work for, it would hands down be Cuban. Dude would set you up for life if you're on good terms with him and seeing his humility makes it impossible to hate him. Like with Dirk, you'd have to assume Cuban would do anything for him just because Dirk has been such a loyal player to that team. The knowledge and access to what Cuban can offer is unlike many teams. Noel on the other hand is still a youngling who should have taken that 4 year $70 million contract. He's constantly injured and despite his potential, has yet to make any sufficient impact. I think he'll be a good player due to Sixers limiting him often but this is why I had a problem with NBA players making this much money. All these kids are going to get the wrong idea about what it takes to get that kind of money.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Mavs are lottery. Most top players want easy wins now days. Noel wants out. So he took the QO. Dirk is just about ready to retire. He probably should have already. Matthews and Barnes paid handsomely. They wont move the needle let alone playoffs. Mavs almost had Jordan. But CP3 talked him to go back to Clippers. If Cuban wants a guy he should call Clippers back up about Jordan. But not so sure Clippers ready to purge the roster. Curious if Jordan is happy about CP3 leaving for Rockets. I know Clippers paid Blake to stay. But that was just keeping a asset.

Vinylman
08-27-2017, 04:30 PM

are you speaking "technically" or are you seriously making the argument that a guy who is constantly injured is going to get a bigger commitment next year than 4/70 in a market with significantly less cash?

How is he going to play himself into a bigger deal? There are tons of 5s who will be much more cost effective and much more reliable from an injury standpoint.

Honestly 4/70 was a gift in this years market with a guy with his injury history.

Vinylman
08-27-2017, 04:33 PM
For Noel to break even he would have to get a 3/66 deal next offseason

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Hoops Rumors‏*@HoopsRumors 12h
12 hours ago

More
There are conflicting reports as to whether Nerlens Noel did or did not receive a four-year, $70MM offer. Details: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/08/west-notes-randle-noel-donovan.html*...

Vinylman
08-28-2017, 02:24 PM

can you fix the link... It leads to nothing lol

I am actually interested to see if it is true because I find it hard to believe Dallas offered him that ... and if they did that he turned it down.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Looks like they deleted it. But right after I posted that. Another place said he did get that offer sheet like July 1. I think he doesn't wanna rot with the Mavs. He's going full Monroe here.

TheDish87
08-28-2017, 03:57 PM
rot? its not like a contender is gonna offer him what he wants

Oakmont_4
08-28-2017, 05:43 PM

Right, but if he flat out tells DAL he wants out, they can easily trade him to a contender with his small contract and then he can get whatever he wants with said contender.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-28-2017, 06:09 PM

Well he was RFA. He didn't want Mavs to match offer sheet. So he took QO. I suppose he didn't want to be the bad guy and ask for a sign and trade. Cause I'm sure Cuban wouldn't of accepted junk to match Noels salary demands of $20M per. So taking QO is the easy way out but a risk if he gets injured then his stock next year will be low. Besides next draft has a few big men coming out.

mrblisterdundee
08-28-2017, 06:59 PM

He can't shoot well-enough to be a power forward, and Embiid is just too big to be anything but a center. They were never meant to be together long-term. Noel and Harrison look like a front court of the future for Dallas, if they can hold on to him.

Vinylman
08-29-2017, 06:47 AM
Right, but if he flat out tells DAL he wants out, they can easily trade him to a contender with his small contract and then he can get whatever he wants with said contender.

why would they trade him to a contender he wants to sign with long term? with that contract they will trade him to the highest bidder... if that ends up being where he wants to go great... if not ... he is in the same position as this past summer.

on a side note ... this is gonna happen with more and more of these guys who think they deserve a max but whose play doesn't warrant it... money is only going to get tighter the next couple of years and teams are going to want to see significant contributions before doling out the big bucks.

IndyRealist
08-29-2017, 08:44 AM
why would they trade him to a contender he wants to sign with long term? with that contract they will trade him to the highest bidder... if that ends up being where he wants to go great... if not ... he is in the same position as this past summer.

on a side note ... this is gonna happen with more and more of these guys who think they deserve a max but whose play doesn't warrant it... money is only going to get tighter the next couple of years and teams are going to want to see significant contributions before doling out the big bucks.

I'm fairly certain if you play on a qualifying offer, it comes with a no trade clause.

IndyRealist
08-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Here it is, since it came up a few times:

There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:

When the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, his Larry Bird/Early Bird rights are not traded with him, and instead becomes a Non-Bird free agent. The player's consent is also required for any subsequent trades that season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

TheDish87
08-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Well he was RFA. He didn't want Mavs to match offer sheet. So he took QO. I suppose he didn't want to be the bad guy and ask for a sign and trade. Cause I'm sure Cuban wouldn't of accepted junk to match Noels salary demands of $20M per. So taking QO is the easy way out but a risk if he gets injured then his stock next year will be low. Besides next draft has a few big men coming out.

where are you getting this from? they were negotiating for quite some time and he just wasnt happy with the offers they made.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Usually when a player takes the QO he wants out. Its rare but it happens. Monroe did it recently. Also Mavs are a lottery team in the west. Noel probably had enough lottery days with 76ers.

TheDish87
08-29-2017, 10:56 AM
so you made it up he wants out? ok. Im not even a Noel fan but he took the QO bcuz he wanted more money than what was offered and no contender is offering him a max anyway. You make it sound like he spent 7 losing season in Philly when he was only here for 2.5 lol.

Vinylman
08-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Here it is, since it came up a few times:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

so his bird rights don't go with him even if he agrees to the trade?

If true then why would he care where he gets traded?

The only place he maintains bird rights is in Dallas

So at the end of the day he will still be traded for the best deal Dallas can get or he won't be traded at all... (he vetoes it)

that rule is beyond weird because it doesn't do anything for the player if he has already made up his mind on not wanting to play for his current team... it is actually hurts him in terms of bird rights

IndyRealist
08-29-2017, 03:54 PM
so his bird rights don't go with him even if he agrees to the trade?

If true then why would he care where he gets traded?

The only place he maintains bird rights is in Dallas

So at the end of the day he will still be traded for the best deal Dallas can get or he won't be traded at all... (he vetoes it)

that rule is beyond weird because it doesn't do anything for the player if he has already made up his mind on not wanting to play for his current team... it is actually hurts him in terms of bird rights

I'd imagine the main benefit for the player is that he doesn't have to uproot his family and move twice in a year. RFA is stacked heavily against players.