PDA

View Full Version : Should the Cavs chase after Conley?

JasonJohnHorn
08-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Recent comments from Marc Gasol have suggested that there may be issues in Memphis. Chandler didn't pan out. Zach is gone. And the team is saddled with a HUGE contract for Mike Conley.

The Cavs just downgraded at point guard. This biggest criticism of Kyrie was his defense: his offense was stellar. Now they have somebody who isn't as good at O, and who is far worse on D (more due to size than work ethic).

Conley is a stellar defender, a solid playmaker, and a strong 3pt shooter: everything the Cavs need in a PG. And frankly, in terms of chemistry, he's a better fit for them than Kyrie.

Problem? Contract. Conley is due 28.5 mil next season. But the Cavs got some expiring contract they could throw at Memphis:

IT (6.5 expiring), Frye (7.5 expiring), RJ (2.5 likely retiring), James Jones (1.5 this past year and retiring), and Shump (10 million). That's 28 million. If the Cavs through in their own first (not the BK first), or even two, the Grizz have a high scoring PG, and a defensive shooting guard, and a PF/C who can shoot threes (and a couple of expiring retirees that don't even need to be in the trade. That would give them pieces that they can sell to fans and a good coach can use, a pick or two, and they get rid of the Conley contract.

The Cavs get the point guard that fits them, Love, Crowder, Smith and Korver will get a guy who sets them up, on defense they'll have a huge upgrade, and they get to keep their core. A little less depth, but if Wade does get a buyout, that could help out there.

So the Cavs have the pieces to make this work, and the pieces would give the Grizzlies cap relief for next year.

Should the Cavs go for Conley? Would he be a good fit? Or is that contract just too ugly? Would Memphis even be interested?

Thoughts?

MJNetsIsles
08-22-2017, 11:10 PM
No.

HandsOnTheWheel
08-22-2017, 11:27 PM
No.

Balltime
08-22-2017, 11:29 PM
yes

Raps18-19 Champ
08-22-2017, 11:32 PM
No.

LOb0
08-22-2017, 11:46 PM
No..

JordansBulls
08-22-2017, 11:50 PM
They are too stacked already. Have Rose and Isaiah when would Conley play?

still1ballin
08-22-2017, 11:59 PM
No

GiantsSwaGG
08-23-2017, 12:04 AM
No

JAZZNC
08-23-2017, 12:53 AM
Conley is arguably better than both of those guys.

Saddletramp
08-23-2017, 02:23 AM

Thomas would be a part of the package for Conley. Re-read.

allen45
08-23-2017, 04:48 AM
I think Conley could be a good fit.

Heediot
08-23-2017, 05:35 AM
IT, K Love, TT, JR Smith, BK Pick for Conley, Gasol & J. Green

Conley
Crowder
James
Green
Gasol

Bully Ball vs. Warriors

Scoots
08-23-2017, 10:01 AM
It would make the Cavs better, but it probably doesn't happen.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-23-2017, 10:12 AM
I could see the Grizzlies eventually blowing it up. Sounds like Gasol ready for changes according to a few of them latest articles. Then Conley be next in line dealt. Since ZBO and Carter left and Allen maybe gone as well. Also Parson's contract is dead weight holding the team hostage now.

Vee-Rex
08-23-2017, 12:40 PM
IT, K Love, TT, JR Smith, BK Pick for Conley, Gasol & J. Green

Conley
Crowder
James
Green
Gasol

Bully Ball vs. Warriors

Hell naw.

Heediot
08-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Hell naw.

Too much? BK Pick?

TO Rapz
08-23-2017, 03:34 PM
I think the whole point of that Kyrie trade is so the Cavs have flexibility if Lebron walks. - regular response

No. - psd response

TheDish87
08-23-2017, 03:56 PM
lol why in the world would the Grizz do this?

TheDish87
08-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Conley is definitely better than both of those guys.

fixed

SteveZissou
08-23-2017, 04:23 PM
No.

WaDe03
08-23-2017, 05:04 PM
If they can get Conley and Gasol without giving up Love LeBron and Crowder they would be the favorites, especially after Wade comes via buyout.

Heediot
08-23-2017, 05:43 PM
If they can get Conley and Gasol without giving up Love LeBron and Crowder they would be the favorites, especially after Wade comes via buyout.

Those two make 50 million so Cleveland has to send JR, Shump, TT, IT, Frye and probably BK picks to offset some of those bad contracts.

mrblisterdundee
08-23-2017, 05:55 PM
I'd rather try to make a trade of Love and Osman for Gasol. Memphis isn't going anywhere in the west. Love is four years younger and can probably be the top scorer in Memphis. Osman's young, somewhat promising, and unlike Parsons, can physically play. Cleveland's taking a risk on LeBron sticking it out. But their starting five and second unit would be stacked:

PG: Thomas, Rose
SG: Wade?, Smith, Korver
SF: Crowder, Shumpert
PF: LeBron, Frye
C: Gasol, Thompson

WaDe03
08-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Those two make 50 million so Cleveland has to send JR, Shump, TT, IT, Frye and probably BK picks to offset some of those bad contracts.

So then they'll end up with:

Conley/Rose
Wade/Korver
LeBron/Crowder
Love/Green
Gasol/Zizic

I'd do that for sure, don't know if the Grizzlies would though.

Heediot
08-23-2017, 06:11 PM
I'd rather try to make a trade of Love and Osman for Gasol. Memphis isn't going anywhere in the east. Love is four years younger and can probably be the top scorer in Memphis. Osman's young, somewhat promising, and unlike Parsons, can physically play. Cleveland's taking a risk on LeBron sticking it out. But their starting five and second unit would be stacked:

Yeah Gasol makes a bigger difference overall, as LeBron would take away from Conley's need to control the game with the ball.

IndyRealist
08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
1. How is Irving better than IT offensively?
2. Traded players may be traded by themselves immediately. They may not be traded in a package with other players for...3 months?

da ThRONe
08-23-2017, 06:27 PM
The time to get Conley was before this Thomas trade. Irving for Conley made sense for the Grizzs. Why would you trade Thomas for Conley? Conley is the better player and younger and after next season actually cheaper.

da ThRONe
08-23-2017, 06:30 PM

No way Memphis agrees to this. Why take back all that salary for decent players just for a pick that isn't a given to be top 3? That team wouldn't even be bad enough to tank to get two high picks next year.

da ThRONe
08-23-2017, 06:37 PM
I think the whole point of that Kyrie trade is so the Cavs have flexibility if Lebron walks. - regular response

No. - psd response

It's like the old saying about "scared money". The Cavs are shooting themselves in the foot trying to hedge their bets. James is arguably a top 5 player all time. When is a franchise going to see another player like this? You go all in trying to win a title and if it all goes wrong so be it, but you roll the dice. Now they are IMO a worse team because two of their best 3 players can't defend well enough and can't compete when James rest. Samething that killed them last year.

mrblisterdundee
08-23-2017, 07:58 PM
The time to get Conley was before this Thomas trade. Irving for Conley made sense for the Grizzs. Why would you trade Thomas for Conley? Conley is the better player and younger and after next season actually cheaper.

Conley's better than Thomas, but he's actually one year older than Thomas, who isn't necessarily getting that Brinks truck. Conley's going to make $30 million starting next season, too, so I don't necessarily think he's cheaper either. That said, I would much rather have him than Thomas, and he would fit way better with LeBron. But I'm not trading the Nets pick to get him, considering LeBron's probably gone.

JasonJohnHorn
08-23-2017, 09:20 PM
lol why in the world would the Grizz do this?

Well... they've lost their depth to free agency. Z-Bo is gone, Parsons hasn't panned out, Carter is gone. They've just been getting depleted each year.

This would give them a high-scoring PG, a big with range, a 3/D SG (guy who could help fill out a starting line-up), and given that they are expiring, it would clear cap space from the Conley deal and free them up, making things more flexible.

da ThRONe
08-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Ok everything I read on different forums said Thomas would be 30 this season.

FlashBolt
08-23-2017, 09:50 PM
If IT can give Cavs 20 points and around 6 assists, he's done his job. I don't know what you guys are expecting.. IT is an absolute stud. Bad defense and playoff coverage on him are literally the only two cons of him. Outside of that, this guy is an offensive juggernaut. I think he can give LeBron valuable minutes to rest - something Kyrie never seemed to be able to do.

Mave1002
08-23-2017, 11:40 PM
To keep LBJ

1.) Offer IT + TT + Osman + future picks (except for the Nets pick) to the Clips for DJ and Pat Beverly
2.) Send Kevin Love back to Minny to play behind KAT (KAT/Love/Wiggins/Butler/Teague) and get Dieng/Aldrich
3.) Put the Nets pick on the block to either dump more salary or get the best defender possible

-The try to sign Avery Bradley and KCP next year

Jordan/Aldrich
James/Dieng
Crowder/Shumpert
Caldwell-Pope/Smith
Bradley/Beverly

You've got em all (at least) checked
-Curry (Bradley/Beverly)
-Thompson (KCP)
-Durant (LBJ)
-Dray (Crowder)

JAZZNC
08-24-2017, 01:20 AM
fixed
Thanks, wanted to say that but figured there'd be some goobers saying IT "scored a bunch" so that makes him better. Rose isn't even in the convo.

allen45
08-24-2017, 04:51 AM
Ok everything I read on different forums said Thomas would be 30 this season.

All I know he's going 30 as well.

TheDish87
08-24-2017, 08:36 AM
I'd rather try to make a trade of Love and Osman for Gasol. Memphis isn't going anywhere in the west. Love is four years younger and can probably be the top scorer in Memphis. Osman's young, somewhat promising, and unlike Parsons, can physically play. Cleveland's taking a risk on LeBron sticking it out. But their starting five and second unit would be stacked:

who the hell is Osman?

TheDish87
08-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Well... they've lost their depth to free agency. Z-Bo is gone, Parsons hasn't panned out, Carter is gone. They've just been getting depleted each year.

This would give them a high-scoring PG, a big with range, a 3/D SG (guy who could help fill out a starting line-up), and given that they are expiring, it would clear cap space from the Conley deal and free them up, making things more flexible.

no reason to eat all that salary for a team that doesnt make the playoffs. At least Conely and Gasol help them sell tix and compete. When they move on form their 2 best players it will be a rebuild not a bunch of maxed out, overpaid players with multi year deals.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Bucks almost had Conley a long time ago. Our offer was Sessions and just drafted Joe Alexander. Wished it happened.

Vee-Rex
08-24-2017, 10:51 AM
who the hell is Osman?

Google is your friend.

TheDish87
08-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Google is your friend.

very little info. hes being mentioned like hes important but that doesnt seem to be accurate.

kobe4thewinbang
08-24-2017, 04:33 PM
The Cavaliers just got AWAY from luxury tax by swapping Kyrie's 3 years for I.T.'s expiring deal. Why the heck would they take on last summer's albatross contract player? More likely that Parsons or Gasol get shipped out before the 35 million Mike "Curry Money" Conley.

FlashBolt
08-24-2017, 05:58 PM
Cavs got:

$25 million saved in luxury tax. Possibly used down the line. I'm not sure if that had a huge part in negotiations but LeBron is a huge advocate for owners spending money when needed.

IT - who I believe can replicate Kyrie's offensive ability just for the regular season. playoffs, I think he'll be limited.
Don't want to hear it about defense. They both suck. Get over it. Kyrie is not CP3, folks.. I read somewhere that Boston with IT on the court had the same offensive rating as the Warrior.

Jae Crowder - Good overall player on an insanely great contract. People need to lay off him. This dude gets paid pennies for what he's doing compared to other players. Look at what Shumpert's getting paid..

Zizic - No idea about this guy. I'd say if he can just play valuable minutes on the court while TT is resting and play well with the 2nd unit, he's worth it. Practically a bonus.. imagine if they can develop this guy further? He's got great hands, good PnR ability, and really good at cutting. He will play well with LeBron. Good at setting picks too so that might come in handy with IT.

Brooklyn pick.. Could go anywhere but if this turns out to be a top five pick in a really good draft... Cavs won.

Boston got:

Kyrie Irving.. who is an elite offensive player but incapable of doing anything else. unlike IT, has shown zero ability to carry a team ALONE. I'd rather have Kyrie for playoff purposes but I do think some of you are focusing on the name and his Finals Game 7 performance rather than what he has actually played like all season. He shows up for the big games, no doubt, but can he even get you enough wins to play those big games? We'll find out. Thankfully, he has a good enough of a team to at least make the playoffs. But what if Kyrie has a bad year or the Celtics have a disappointing season and Kyrie no longer wants to sign with them for an extension? Good luck. You just lost valuable assets.

And the way I see it, look at what Pacers and Bulls got for PG/Butler.. both who are better than Irving. Cavs got an absolute steal. Could you imagine if they traded Irving for Oladipo/Sabonis? My god.

mrblisterdundee
08-25-2017, 01:11 PM
IT - who I believe can replicate Kyrie's offensive ability just for the regular season. playoffs, I think he'll be limited.
Kyrie Irving.. who is an elite offensive player but incapable of doing anything else. unlike IT, has shown zero ability to carry a team ALONE. I'd rather have Kyrie for playoff purposes but I do think some of you are focusing on the name and his Finals Game 7 performance rather than what he has actually played like all season.
It's difficult to compare Thomas and Irving. The best player next to Thomas in the playoffs was Horford, while Kyrie had LeBron sucking in defenses whenever he got into the post. Thomas is going to get way more open shots and increase his efficiency, along with Crowder. I expect both of their shooting percentages to increase specifically because they now play with LeBron.

JasonJohnHorn
08-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Bad defense.

That's the problem though, isn't it. It's why Kyrie, despite his offensive game (which is frankly better than IT's), was unable to help the Cavs compete against the Warriors this year.

When Curry was slowed by injury last year, and the Warriors were missing their defensive anchor (Bogut), and Green got suspended, allowing LBJ to run wild, Kyrie's offensive brilliance looked great, because his lack of D didn't hurt them much.

But this year, with a healthy Curry, Kyrie looked like shambles on defense. IT will look even worse, and he is easier to guard in a 7-game series than Kyrie. Once a player has to defend him a couple of nights, it's easier to see what adjustments you can make to take advantage of the size difference.

It's why he's not making 15 million a year, and why he got picked 60th.

He's a great talent and a work horse, but his size (not his talent or work ethic) make him a liability.

FlashBolt
08-27-2017, 04:24 PM
That's the problem though, isn't it. It's why Kyrie, despite his offensive game (which is frankly better than IT's), was unable to help the Cavs compete against the Warriors this year.

When Curry was slowed by injury last year, and the Warriors were missing their defensive anchor (Bogut), and Green got suspended, allowing LBJ to run wild, Kyrie's offensive brilliance looked great, because his lack of D didn't hurt them much.

But this year, with a healthy Curry, Kyrie looked like shambles on defense. IT will look even worse, and he is easier to guard in a 7-game series than Kyrie. Once a player has to defend him a couple of nights, it's easier to see what adjustments you can make to take advantage of the size difference.

It's why he's not making 15 million a year, and why he got picked 60th.

He's a great talent and a work horse, but his size (not his talent or work ethic) make him a liability.

I don't think you're giving IT enough credit here.

1) Kyrie did help the Cavs compete against the Warriors. The Warriors just had too much. Can't blame Kyrie on that one. He showed up but guys like K.Love, Deron Williams, J.R. Smith (for the first 2-3 games, he couldn't have played any worse), Iman Shumpert, Kyle Korver, TT. Those guys just didn't show up for anything.

2) I said it when Cavs won, if Warriors played 100%, no team would have beaten them last season. They didn't play 100% while LeBron+Kyrie played 200%. That's the difference. If Warriors didn't have KD this season, it would be a close match. I mean, it's not like Curry played exceptional defense on Kyrie, either. They both suck at it.

3) What IT makes and what he got picked at doesn't say anything. Plenty of players get shafted with bad contracts and picks.

Is anyone going to equate Steph's value to his $10 million per year?

What about low draft pick selections like Manu, Draymond, Maurice Cheeks, DeAndre Jordan, Jimmy Butler, and Drexler?

Lost in IT's size is the fact that he did carry the Boston Celtics, he was at the top of the leading scorer of the league for quite some time, and he was an exceptional player that takes the game serious. I mean, his sister dies and he still suits up. That's someone who wants to play and that is invaluable these days.

Vinsanity115
08-28-2017, 03:01 AM
No, but I think Spurs/Conley is an amazing fit... contract sucks though.