PDA

View Full Version : How good would this team be? Would it change the league?

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 08:48 PM
So I'm waiting on the first team to start a small ball lineup, or go with no PG if they have a "point forward", or even both. I feel like one or the other will happen soon. I'm going to build a team doing both and they're going to be coached by the GOAT.

This is a multiple question thread made out of forum boredom. Here is the following team, made on the Spurs next offseason due to their cap space and ability to possibly get more. For the bench just factor the veteran players who would flock to the team for the minimum and factor in how the Spurs pull players out of their ***. Possibility of Mills and Gasol still being there. PG and LeBron take 1 year deals, Wade comes for the minimum or exception.

Wade
PG
Kawhi
Gay
LeBron

PG and Kawhi take turns defending the PG and best wing player. Wade and guy guard the worst wing players (in including PF as a wing nowadays) and LeBron guards the center.

How good would this team be?

Would they win the championship?

What team in an actual playoffs series could give them problems due to them going small? Wolves? Would Towns abuse LeBron? Pelicans? Do they even make it? Same for Clippers?

Does the size mismatch outweigh LeBrons mismatch on the other end?

I think you're going to see one or the other styles soon but, with LeBron you could potentially do both. Pop may be the perfect coach to make it work.

I feel the Warriors start Zaza just to have a little size tbh.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 09:00 PM
The Warriors started a small ball lineup of Curry, Klay, Iguodala, Barnes, and Green in the 2015 finals.

The Warriors offense works smoother to start games because of Zaza's screens and picks. They also don't start Green at center to keep him from wearing out, and to keep KD from spending too much time at 4 and wearing him out, and playing Iguodala too many minutes and making him more likely to get injured.

IndyRealist
08-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Lebron wouldn't want to take that beating for 82+ games.

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 09:18 PM
The Warriors started a small ball lineup of Curry, Klay, Iguodala, Barnes, and Green in the 2015 finals.

The Warriors offense works smoother to start games because of Zaza's screens and picks. They also don't start Green at center to keep him from wearing out, and to keep KD from spending too much time at 4 and wearing him out, and playing Iguodala too many minutes and making him more likely to get injured.

Good points and same to Indyrealist, LeBron probably says no.

Is it THAT much of a beating these days though? With everyone wanting to space out and shoot jumpers I feel their aren't too many bully type bigs anymore that bang, especially back to the basket on a consistent basis.

I mentioned Towns earlier as he's that space the floor style but will also go inside (although not stronger than LeBron) but you also have your Capela, DJ, Noel style bigs. Does guarding them even put much pressure on the defender? I feel on most nights LeBron and Gay could switch on and off who guards the 5 and 4 over the course of the game.

The biggest problem I see would be the Pelicans in terms of size but we don't even know if they make he playoffs OR if Cousins is still there after this season.

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Lebron wouldn't want to take that beating for 82+ games.

Would it be dumb to go most of the season with a traditional lineup and then with about 10 games left switch to this lineup and say this is your playoff lineup because you think it causes tons of mismatches and would be your best lineup?

IndyRealist
08-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Good points and same to Indyrealist, LeBron probably says no.

Is it THAT much of a beating these days though? With everyone wanting to space out and shoot jumpers I feel their aren't too many bully type bigs anymore that bang, especially back to the basket on a consistent basis.

I mentioned Towns earlier as he's that space the floor style but will also go inside (although not stronger than LeBron) but you also have your Capela, DJ, Noel style bigs. Does guarding them even put much pressure on the defender? I feel on most nights LeBron and Gay could switch on and off who guards the 5 and 4 over the course of the game.

The biggest problem I see would be the Pelicans in terms of size but we don't even know if they make he playoffs OR if Cousins is still there after this season.

I would run out every vet min 7fter I could get my hands on and beat the tar out of him every time he's on defense. Unless they're going to give up easy rebounds and uncontested layups, big men still have to bang in the paint.

Year before last the Pacers tried to "play small", except Paul George refused to play PF. So to make everyone happy 6'6" CJ Miles played PF. He spent 2/3 of the season injured.

IndyRealist
08-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Would it be dumb to go most of the season with a traditional lineup and then with about 10 games left switch to this lineup and say this is your playoff lineup because you think it causes tons of mismatches and would be your best lineup?

I think you do it in spurts every game, when the match up favors you. I don't think you do it a whole game ever. That's just asking for Mr. 12th man to put Lebron on the deck.

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 09:35 PM
I would run out every vet min 7fter I could get my hands on and beat the tar out of him every time he's on defense. Unless they're going to give up easy rebounds and uncontested layups, big men still have to bang in the paint.

Year before last the Pacers tried to "play small", except Paul George refused to play PF. So to make everyone happy 6'6" CJ Miles played PF. He spent 2/3 of the season injured.

Yea that pissed me off when PG did that. If I remember right, it took him a few games but then he started dominating but didn't want to play the 4 anymore.

TrueFan420
08-12-2017, 01:42 AM
I think speedy, J rich, Mike D,
Troy Murph and Folye will run the floor wit them

Heediot
08-12-2017, 11:27 AM
wade is on the decline. i know you like to speculate about his future and want him and bron together in scenarios where they can challenge for titles. take it easy, he's going to be a vet-min ring chaser after this year. this team has too many guys who need the ball in their hands.

YAALREADYKNO
08-12-2017, 01:05 PM
I think speedy, J rich, Mike D,
Troy Murph and Folye will run the floor wit them

Or how about

Baron Davis
Monta Ellis
Jason Richardson
Stephen Jackson
Al Harrington

LA4life24/8
08-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Dont the bucks pretty much do this already w the freak?