PDA

View Full Version : New player rest rules coming

mrblisterdundee
08-11-2017, 12:40 AM
USA Today reported that the NBA is preparing to pass new prohibitions and scheduling changes to cut back on player-resting:

The rules will be in place by the start of the 2017-18 season, and there will be consequences for teams that do not adhere to them.
Silver hinted at the idea of teams not resting multiple starters in the same game and not resting a starter for away games.
Don’t be surprised if there is a rule against resting healthy players for marquee national TV games.
Among the schedule changes:
• The league will start a week earlier this season, creating more days to play an 82-game schedule.
• Elimination of four games in five days and 18 games in 30 days.
• Reduction of back-to-backs – 14.9 per team down from 16.3 per team last season.
• Reduction of single-game road trips by 17%.
- Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/08/10/player-resting-rules-nba/556173001/)

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 12:54 AM
These athletes today are a bunch of babies. Teams need to stop taking advantage of people and offer fans something if a player is not playing. Very sad group of team management who treat the fans like crap despite them being the reason why the NBA is handing out these contracts. Good job for Silver. A player should NEVER be rested for away games unless they are not medically cleared to do so. It's their job to play through being tired. That giant T.V. deal must have had the NBA rethinking their priorities. Big matchup on national television and you sit your best player(s)? lame.

rhino17
08-11-2017, 01:04 AM
Soccer and baseball (and maybe even hockey, I know nothing about hockey) all rest players regularly throughout the season. I honestly don't see a problem with resting players occasionally, but I do think it is ****** when a team like Golden State rests everyone on the same day. It's basically throwing a game away and telling fans who paid a lot to go **** off. Their job is to win championships and resting can help with that, but it needs to be reasonable.

SportsFanatic10
08-11-2017, 02:20 AM
I like it personally...these guys get paid way too much to rest if healthy enough to play. I bet if they had to forfeit their game check if they sat out not many would. It's a disservice to the fans who pay to watch them. I understand it's usually a coaches decision and they are doing what they deem best for the team, and that's why I like these rules preventing coaches from making those decisions. Roll out your guys every game they can physically play health wise, regular people can't just call in to work for a rest day and neither should these ridiculously rich and pampered athletes that people spend their hard earned money to buy tickets to see.

More-Than-Most
08-11-2017, 03:16 AM
This does nothing... There is nothing to like or dislike because its not going to work... the league cant prove a guy isnt healthy... the warriors are sitting durant because of illness... the cavs are sitting lebron because of leg soreness... boom. Rules dodged.

Let the league come out and say so and so isnt healthy and must play... it will never ever happen because they arent stupid and would be liable if they get hurt after along with the horrid PR nightmare. If I am the warriors and I am sitting curry/durant I am calling it illness.

SportsFanatic10
08-11-2017, 03:30 AM
This does nothing... There is nothing to like or dislike because its not going to work... the league cant prove a guy isnt healthy... the warriors are sitting durant because of illness... the cavs are sitting lebron because of leg soreness... boom. Rules dodged.

Let the league come out and say so and so isnt healthy and must play... it will never ever happen because they arent stupid and would be liable if they get hurt after along with the horrid PR nightmare. If I am the warriors and I am sitting curry/durant I am calling it illness.

Well at least we won't see things like Pop putting Duncan down as a DNP - Old. lol I did like it in a way because he was being honest but they'll have to try harder now I guess lol. There really isn't a solid solution other then cutting down on the schedule but we all know that won't happen cuz $$$.

ewing
08-11-2017, 05:15 AM
Thank god

KnicksorBust
08-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Can't any team... for any player... at any time... list some type of minor injury to circumvent that rule?

More-Than-Most
08-11-2017, 06:36 AM
Can't any team... for any player... at any time... list some type of minor injury to circumvent that rule?

yup... stomach flu... good luck trying to debunk that.

ewing
08-11-2017, 07:13 AM

Of course the NBA can't make these guys act like men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDish87
08-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Soccer and baseball (and maybe even hockey, I know nothing about hockey) all rest players regularly throughout the season. I honestly don't see a problem with resting players occasionally, but I do think it is ****** when a team like Golden State rests everyone on the same day. It's basically throwing a game away and telling fans who paid a lot to go **** off. Their job is to win championships and resting can help with that, but it needs to be reasonable.

baseball is 162 games and soccer players do not rest throughout the season unless they are hurt or its a non league game like some BS cup and most are playing 90+ mins per game.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Exactly. The scheduling changes were announced months ago, and the health stuff is just PR. This whole announcement was just thrown out there because literally nothing was happening in the news for the NBA.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Everybody has to stop talking like the players in the past were tough compared to today's players. Things are wildly different now than they were then. Players are bigger, faster, stronger, have lower body fat, higher muscle mass, and spend FAR more time working on their body and game than ever before. Players today also play harder than they did back in the day. Add to that that the trainers are monitoring the bodies of the players at a higher level than ever before.

As for teams giving something back when players are rested ... sorry, that's the way the world works. The ticket says there will be a show, it does NOT say who will be in the show. If you buy a ticket to a game and the player you wanted to see gets traded before the game do you expect money back? If they are injured? Rest is pre-injury, but the trainers are saying the player is close to injuring themselves by seeing that their play has been slipping in previous games. Would you rather see a player play bad and the team lose because of it?

warfelg
08-11-2017, 09:57 AM
baseball is 162 games and soccer players do not rest throughout the season unless they are hurt or its a non league game like some BS cup and most are playing 90+ mins per game.

162 games in about 181 days too. That's roughly 20 days off.

82 games in 176 days. That's about 90 off days.

Yea......baseball players deserve a few extra off days.

ewing
08-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Everybody has to stop talking like the players in the past were tough compared to today's players. Things are wildly different now than they were then. Players are bigger, faster, stronger, have lower body fat, higher muscle mass, and spend FAR more time working on their body and game than ever before. Players today also play harder than they did back in the day. Add to that that the trainers are monitoring the bodies of the players at a higher level than ever before.

As for teams giving something back when players are rested ... sorry, that's the way the world works. The ticket says there will be a show, it does NOT say who will be in the show. If you buy a ticket to a game and the player you wanted to see gets traded before the game do you expect money back? If they are injured? Rest is pre-injury, but the trainers are saying the player is close to injuring themselves by seeing that their play has been slipping in previous games. Would you rather see a player play bad and the team lose because of it?

your big 3 are tough :rolleyes:

TheDish87
08-11-2017, 10:15 AM

but you are forgetting how improved recovery tools, supplements, and nutrition are now a days. I dont wanna hear GSW players need rest when they win by 15+ most nights and dont even play in the 4th.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 10:25 AM
your big 3 are tough :rolleyes:

No, soft as marshmallows. But when we look back we think of certain players and think the whole league was like that ... like Oak, or the Davis boys, or Mason ... but those guys were the exception not the rule.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 10:42 AM
but you are forgetting how improved recovery tools, supplements, and nutrition are now a days. I dont wanna hear GSW players need rest when they win by 15+ most nights and dont even play in the 4th.

I wasn't talking about the Warriors, but if we are going to talk about the Warriors, they rested starters a TOTAL of 8 games. Curry had 2 rest days, Klay, and Green rested 3 games each. The game that made it national news was a game where all 3 were rested, it was the 8th game in the 8th city in a run over 13 days with 1 non-travel day in those 13 days. Add to that that for the season, and most seasons the Warriors travel more than most of the teams in the NBA and that over the past 3 seasons the Warriors have played more games than any other team in the NBA and getting upset with them for 8 total player rest days out of 410 possible player days for starters gets kind of silly. And as for fans missing out on the players they want to see ... Curry played 79 games, Klay 78, and Green 76 ... the only starters the Warriors rested were there the vast majority of the games, and more than most teams top 3 in games played.

The Warriors DNP-rest being an issue is a false narrative made up by the press who need something to talk about all day every day.

TheDish87
08-11-2017, 11:03 AM
i was just using them as an example of a team who really doesnt need much rest all things considered. i get the occasional rest game if a guy is banged up, no biggie as most will know he took some lumps in prior games. They need to try and spin it like baseball does and call it a 'scheduled day off'

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 11:10 AM
with the amount guys get paid now, and the research teams have on the human body, resting players will never go away, nor should it.

warfelg
08-11-2017, 11:15 AM
with the amount guys get paid now, and the research teams have on the human body, resting players will never go away, nor should it.

I'm calling my shot now:
They're going to put in a rule in the near future that's going to say injured players won't be allowed to travel with the team and if a player is to "rest" on an away game, they should miss the next 2 games.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 11:16 AM
i was just using them as an example of a team who really doesnt need much rest all things considered. i get the occasional rest game if a guy is banged up, no biggie as most will know he took some lumps in prior games. They need to try and spin it like baseball does and call it a 'scheduled day off'

What's funny about that is that those games like the one the Warriors rested against the Spurs used to be (back in the 80's and 90's) called a "scheduled loss" because the schedule and travel was so brutal. Those players didn't get DNP-rest they just lost the game :)

Did you know that no team in NBA history has swept anything more than a 6 road games in a row? You know why? Because it's exhausting to do that much travel and play those games like that. The Lakers won 33 games in a row for the record, but no team has managed to win 7 road games in a row (in one season without a break).

Basically, enough people talked about DNP-rest and the Warriors and Cavs both did it in major matchup games on national TV within a week of each other to make it a big enough deal for it to land on Silver's radar. So now we are here with a press release that really means nothing. They are stretching out the calendar to remove the "scheduled loss" which will reduce the chances of DNP-rest being needed, and nothing about that is new information.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm calling my shot now:
They're going to put in a rule in the near future that's going to say injured players won't be allowed to travel with the team and if a player is to "rest" on an away game, they should miss the next 2 games.

Never going to happen.

warfelg
08-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Never going to happen.

I think it will. And easily.

ewing
08-11-2017, 11:25 AM
What's funny about that is that those games like the one the Warriors rested against the Spurs used to be (back in the 80's and 90's) called a "scheduled loss" because the schedule and travel was so brutal. Those players didn't get DNP-rest they just lost the game :)

Did you know that no team in NBA history has swept anything more than a 6 road games in a row? You know why? Because it's exhausting to do that much travel and play those games like that. The Lakers won 33 games in a row for the record, but no team has managed to win 7 road games in a row (in one season without a break).

Basically, enough people talked about DNP-rest and the Warriors and Cavs both did it in major matchup games on national TV within a week of each other to make it a big enough deal for it to land on Silver's radar. So now we are here with a press release that really means nothing. They are stretching out the calendar to remove the "scheduled loss" which will reduce the chances of DNP-rest being needed, and nothing about that is new information.

you are so soft.

rhino17
08-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Basketball has a physicality and activity component that is about 10x greater than that of baseball. Baseball is the least active sport in existence. And soccer players are absolutely rested all the time in league games.

If resting players results in WINS, then it should absolutely be allowed. Like I said, the problem is when a team like the Warriors rests their entire roster and throws away a game. A player like James Harden was absolutely dead at the end of last season because he took absolutely no time off. As a fan, I would rather he be rested for the playoffs than make sure he plays every single regular season game when possible.

I'm calling my shot now:

That will NEVER happen

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Basketball has a physicality and activity component that is about 10x greater than that of baseball. Baseball is the least active sport in existence. And soccer players are absolutely rested all the time in league games.

If resting players results in WINS, then it should absolutely be allowed. Like I said, the problem is when a team like the Warriors rests their entire roster and throws away a game. A player like James Harden was absolutely dead at the end of last season because he took absolutely no time off. As a fan, I would rather he be rested for the playoffs than make sure he plays every single regular season game when possible.

pretty much. Pops would rest 3 of his stars on a nationally televised game. And hell, this didn't even come up for debate heavily until LeBron sat.

Players make a ton of money now. You need to treat them as an investment, no matter how hard that is to understand for some..

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 11:40 AM
baseball shouldn't even be brought up. I get there are plenty of positions that require you to be fit, but with the amount of fat ***** playing, don't bring up the need for rest, and god forbid you ever flip over to a softball game, where half of them are burritos with a bat. Hell, the GOAT in baseball was a fatty

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Boohoo. Learn to design your team to work, then. All this tanking and resting players because one of them has a small injury is just a discredit to the product. Some of these teams are resting their players for no particular reason other than "tired."

Scoots
08-11-2017, 12:23 PM
I think it will. And easily.

No league forces superstars to miss additional games because they missed 1 game. Can you imagine the backlash if LeBron said "I wanted to play but the league wouldn't let me". Yeah, not going to happen.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 12:24 PM
you are so soft.

Like a marshmallow. But I used to be hard.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Boohoo. Learn to design your team to work, then. All this tanking and resting players because one of them has a small injury is just a discredit to the product. Some of these teams are resting their players for no particular reason other than "tired."

You don't take vacations from work like those other pansies do you.

Vee-Rex
08-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Well at least we won't see things like Pop putting Duncan down as a DNP - Old.

This reminds me of something my ex-girlfriend told me. I didn't love her and I was honest with her about it and she said, "I'd rather if you lied and said you loved me."

People are so butt-hurt about players resting yet they're perfectly fine with teams lying about injuries as long as it comforts their butt-hurt feelings. Like... why? Who cares if it says "rest" or not when we all know players are still gonna rest when they want and just say "sore nipples" or whatever and there isn't a damn thing you, your grandma, or Silver can do about it.

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 01:11 PM
You don't take vacations from work like those other pansies do you.

They have an entire offseason to take vacations. They have luxury hotels and planes at the expense of the team. They have access to private chefs and possibly an entire business manager who handles everything down to the yarn. You can't compare an athlete's lifestyle to your average person. These guys are paid to play a sport - one that requires physical gruesome activities. They get paid lots of money. Guaranteed.

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 02:18 PM

You're the Benjamin Button of marshmellows. Used to be old/hard/stale but as time went in you got younger/soft/fresh, trust me. :nod: :clap:

Scoots
08-11-2017, 02:24 PM
They have an entire offseason to take vacations. They have luxury hotels and planes at the expense of the team. They have access to private chefs and possibly an entire business manager who handles everything down to the yarn. You can't compare an athlete's lifestyle to your average person. These guys are paid to play a sport - one that requires physical gruesome activities. They get paid lots of money. Guaranteed.

So you DO take vacations? Soft.

warfelg
08-11-2017, 02:29 PM

If I tell you I haven't had a vacation since 2008 do I get to say something about them being soft?

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 02:33 PM
If I tell you I haven't had a vacation since 2008 do I get to say something about them being soft?

You're hard as ****!!!

warfelg
08-11-2017, 02:38 PM
You're hard as ****!!!

I just don't get the point of them TBH.

And I'm a golf pro, so I can work 100 hour weeks, play almost every off day, play in events, travel all around to play. I'm not working some 9-5 office job at a desk.

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 02:52 PM

And I'm a golf pro, so I can work 100 hour weeks, play almost every off day, play in events, travel all around to play. I'm not working some 9-5 office job at a desk.

Hell I wouldn't want a vacation either lol.

ewing
08-11-2017, 03:02 PM

no one wants to hear about that

More-Than-Most
08-11-2017, 03:24 PM

running up and down a court while body to body with guys for 3 hours over standing on a field every half inning is 2 very different things.

tp13baby
08-11-2017, 03:36 PM
NBA needs to get rid of back to back games. The quality of play is terrible usually and west coast teams on the road are at a unfair advantage. plus for guys like Embiid who do need nights off. Or older vets who need nights off cause their body can't hold up for 4 games in a week. The NBA created this problem.

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Why are you trolling? Taking vacations is completely different from missing work on a daily schedule. I'm not even sure WTF you're going on about anymore. I don't want to have an irrelevant discussion over vacation when this has NOTHING to do with vacation. These guys aren't getting calls to play an NBA game when they are in the Bahamas, are they?

rhino17
08-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Why are you trolling? Taking vacations is completely different from missing work on a daily schedule. I'm not even sure WTF you're going on about anymore. I don't want to have an irrelevant discussion over vacation when this has NOTHING to do with vacation. These guys aren't getting calls to play an NBA game when they are in the Bahamas, are they?

You don't think other profession rests employees with incredible work loads? You're being naive. Plus as I said, it literally happens in every sport, why should the NBA be any different

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 04:37 PM
You don't think other profession rests employees with incredible work loads? You're being naive. Plus as I said, it literally happens in every sport, why should the NBA be any different

1) You're comparing a physical sport. They're supposed to be in peak condition all season long. The ones that are tired are usually the veterans or McDonald's visitors. These guys get enough rest to show up and perform for the fans. How about this: Don't play and you won't get paid a proportionate amount of your salary. Let's see who gets tired.

2) It's different than any other sport because these guys just got a huge TV deal that is paying all these athletes an insane amount of money but when they organize a nationally televised game, they sit out. NFL, MLB, NHL. No sport league has seen such a huge boost in salary the past few years.

rhino17
08-11-2017, 05:14 PM
1) You're comparing a physical sport. They're supposed to be in peak condition all season long. The ones that are tired are usually the veterans or McDonald's visitors. These guys get enough rest to show up and perform for the fans. How about this: Don't play and you won't get paid a proportionate amount of your salary. Let's see who gets tired.

2) It's different than any other sport because these guys just got a huge TV deal that is paying all these athletes an insane amount of money but when they organize a nationally televised game, they sit out. NFL, MLB, NHL. No sport league has seen such a huge boost in salary the past few years.
I think you are being absurd. The league is about winning and your literally have no idea the physical toll and NBA season makes, so don't pretend you do. If resting equates to more wins (in the case of my team, I'm 100% sure it would) then I have absolutely no problem with it.

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 05:42 PM
I think you are being absurd. The league is about winning and your literally have no idea the physical toll and NBA season makes, so don't pretend you do. If resting equates to more wins (in the case of my team, I'm 100% sure it would) then I have absolutely no problem with it.

Oh, you're the guy who said CP3 to the Rockets was a bad move.. Okay, got it.

1) Don't pretend YOU have any clue of the physical toll these players take.
2) League isn't about winning. Who told you that? Do these guys play for free? Would they be playing basketball if it paid minimum wage? Oh, so it's NOT about winning? It's about what: MONEY. If these TV companies put pressure on the NBA to stop resting players, Adam Silver has no choice. These are billion dollar companies that NBA can't afford to lose association with.
3) I think you are being absurd. I think you have no idea how business works. I think you don't understand how these players are getting paid and why they are getting paid. I don't believe you have the sufficient knowledge to discuss anything in regards to why Silver is trying to stop the resting. Hint: It's not about winning. It's about the money.

Lol @ you thinking these players care more about winning than money. I'm sure you want to believe that these players love basketball so much they just want to compete for a championship but take the money out and the only basketball player you'll see playing is Mr. Professor. Of course studies will show that resting players is beneficial to long-term production and health. Who's denying that? All I'm trying to say is that there has to be a reason for these guys to want to play as well. Once you start moving the line towards "It is beneficial to rest this player for X game so we can win Y and Z games", you cross the path of every team beginning to rest players and no one to prevent it.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 07:25 PM

Yes. Me too.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 07:33 PM

You are saying NBA players should not get 1 work day off over the course of 9 months. And you know they work in the off-season too right?

Do you EVER call in sick when you could actually go to work? Work, where people are expecting you to show up? Do you expect to get paid for those days? If so ... soft.

And, no, I'm not trolling, I'm just using a more adversarial argumentative method. Again, Warriors starters rested a TOTAL of 8 player games for the entire season ... of nearly 500 starting player games ... is THAT really a big issue and worthy of your ire?

Silver can't do anything about it but chirp, and try to give them fewer reasons to take games off. He's not going to reduce the number of games so he's got to spread the schedule out and that's exactly what he did.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 07:34 PM

I don't have such a nice job :)

warfelg
08-11-2017, 07:40 PM
I don't have such a nice job :)

If you have a normal 9-5 I would be more than happy to trade jobs. I would bet you beg for mercy fast.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 08:23 PM
If you have a normal 9-5 I would be more than happy to trade jobs. I would bet you beg for mercy fast.

So would our clients. I played golf as a requirement in high school and because of football and motorcycle riding my arms are so f'd up they don't go straight anymore ... so golf just doesn't work for me. The last time I swung a club I got a hole in one in a tiny little learning course. I dropped the club and vowed I'd never play the game again :)

If you said I could be a driver trainer at a race track 100 hours a week ... I'd switch to that in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I have a 6-6 job ... but it's 7:24 now and I'm sitting at my desk talking to my boss.

ewing
08-11-2017, 09:38 PM
So would our clients. I played golf as a requirement in high school and because of football and motorcycle riding my arms are so f'd up they don't go straight anymore ... so golf just doesn't work for me. The last time I swung a club I got a hole in one in a tiny little learning course. I dropped the club and vowed I'd never play the game again :)

If you said I could be a driver trainer at a race track 100 hours a week ... I'd switch to that in a heartbeat.

Oh, and I have a 6-6 job ... but it's 7:24 now and I'm sitting at my desk talking to my boss.

your to soft for golf

kdspurman
08-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Agreed. They'll just make up some sort of ailment for the player if need be.

The league is doing their part at least to fix some of the turrible scheduling issues they've had, that should take care of some of the issues too.

Also, what about end of the season when guys don't want to risk injury before the playoffs? Will there be a certain window in which resting is/isn't allowed?

kdspurman
08-11-2017, 09:54 PM
I'm calling my shot now:

I don't see that happening. Like if Cleveland/GS rest Curry/Durant/Lebron etc, but their next 2 games are marquee matchups on national television (maybe vs eachother) you think the league will punish the fans of the next 2 games? Or lose money on ratings?

Re: the injury thing, I know some teams have long road trips throughout the season (7+ straight on the road), if a guy tweaks his ankle and only needs to sit out a game or 2, you mean to say they can't join their team for the remaining road games?

Scoots
08-11-2017, 10:12 PM
your to soft for golf

You're too soft for grammar.

Scoots
08-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Agreed. They'll just make up some sort of ailment for the player if need be.

The league is doing their part at least to fix some of the turrible scheduling issues they've had, that should take care of some of the issues too.

Also, what about end of the season when guys don't want to risk injury before the playoffs? Will there be a certain window in which resting is/isn't allowed?

Right now the trainers can see fatigue in the players performance on the court. They will just say something like "out - muscle fiber damage" or some other thing that essentially means fatigue.

ewing
08-11-2017, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=Scoots;31800591]You're too soft for grammar.[/

You're grammar convinced me you are hard

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 10:30 PM
You are saying NBA players should not get 1 work day off over the course of 9 months. And you know they work in the off-season too right?

Do you EVER call in sick when you could actually go to work? Work, where people are expecting you to show up? Do you expect to get paid for those days? If so ... soft.

And, no, I'm not trolling, I'm just using a more adversarial argumentative method. Again, Warriors starters rested a TOTAL of 8 player games for the entire season ... of nearly 500 starting player games ... is THAT really a big issue and worthy of your ire?

Silver can't do anything about it but chirp, and try to give them fewer reasons to take games off. He's not going to reduce the number of games so he's got to spread the schedule out and that's exactly what he did.

They do gets nights off.. Do they play back-to-backs every game? Am I missing something?

Scoots
08-11-2017, 11:28 PM
They do gets nights off.. Do they play back-to-backs every game? Am I missing something?

Yes, I said WORK day off. As in days you have work and miss it anyhow.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-11-2017, 11:54 PM

Well shouldn't we count how much they actually do?

likemystylez
08-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Theres a lot you can do though to create a price for sitting a guy and motivate them to play.

1) Force a player to sit out atleast 5 games (without pay if he claims he has a soreness)
2) Make the the DNP's count as zeros accross the stat boards for the players
3) Eliminate players with more than 10 games missed from any season achievement award ( all nba teams, mvp, most improved, roy etc.)- a lot of contracts have those things as incentives.
4) If a team sits more than 3 regular players at the same game and they all magically start feeling sore at the exact same time (like love, irving and james did 3 or 4 times last year)- then the team is forced to forfit the game and the owner is forced to pay the anticipated revenue to the league for that game
5) allow a team an allowance for missed player games, and if they go over their allowance take away a lottery ball for very 3 games or something.

I could probably think of some more, 4 is a bit harsh- but the point is to make sure the teams really feel they NEED to rest these players when they do. I personally think a lot of players sit out games to somehow prove they are a star in the league- not because the rest is absolutely necessary

warfelg
08-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Theres a lot you can do though to create a price for sitting a guy and motivate them to play.

1) Force a player to sit out atleast 5 games (without pay if he claims he has a soreness)
2) Make the the DNP's count as zeros accross the stat boards for the players
3) Eliminate players with more than 10 games missed from any season achievement award ( all nba teams, mvp, most improved, roy etc.)- a lot of contracts have those things as incentives.
4) If a team sits more than 3 regular players at the same game and they all magically start feeling sore at the exact same time (like love, irving and james did 3 or 4 times last year)- then the team is forced to forfit the game and the owner is forced to pay the anticipated revenue to the league for that game
5) allow a team an allowance for missed player games, and if they go over their allowance take away a lottery ball for very 3 games or something.

I could probably think of some more, 4 is a bit harsh- but the point is to make sure the teams really feel they NEED to rest these players when they do. I personally think a lot of players sit out games to somehow prove they are a star in the league- not because the rest is absolutely necessary

1) 5 is too many. I think 3 is sufficient. And then at that it should only be if they are healthy resting an away game. Either that or the team/player has to pay a fine that gets refunded to anyone who attended the game.

2) Eh. I don't think that would deter people too much.

3) this is the one I think is too harsh. So miss 10 games for any reason and you are eliminated? Players would reject this so hard.

4) this one I think is something that needs to be floated. Maybe not forfeit but definite "loss of income" compensation needs to be paid.

5) eh....teams that are resting guys aren't really in the lottery game anyways.

I think whatever the deterrent to resting players is needs to hit hard for when they are on the road. That's where the problem is. I also think that the teams that rest guys on nationally televised games need to have their cut of the tv revenue income cut.

warfelg
08-13-2017, 11:22 AM
I would argue that there's plenty of ways. How often is a real injury (other than needing stitches) last only 2-3 days?

If these guys need rest maybe they should be allowed to skip a practice, of have a condensed shoot around.

Scoots
08-13-2017, 11:22 AM
1) 5 is too many. I think 3 is sufficient. And then at that it should only be if they are healthy resting an away game. Either that or the team/player has to pay a fine that gets refunded to anyone who attended the game.

3) this is the one I think is too harsh. So miss 10 games for any reason and you are eliminated? Players would reject this so hard.

4) this one I think is something that needs to be floated. Maybe not forfeit but definite "loss of income" compensation needs to be paid.

I think whatever the deterrent to resting players is needs to hit hard for when they are on the road. That's where the problem is. I also think that the teams that rest guys on nationally televised games need to have their cut of the tv revenue income cut.

1) How are you going to determine if the player is 100% healthy?
2) Oh yeah it will. Miss a game and you average 9.9 rebounds rather than 10 for the season. Players will care.
3) 10 games is too few, but miss a quarter of the season and you should not be eligible to win MVP/DPOY/6MOY etc.
4.) So, teams that genuinely have 3 or more injuries that happen between games suddenly forfeit all of their games? Never going to happen.
5) Teams will horrible injury years are often in the lottery, and it's punishing teams that are having bad years anyhow.

In reality none of them matter because you can't tell when a player is resting or injured.

TrueFan420
08-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Making the season a week longer will help. They need to do a better job with the schedule overal tho.

likemystylez
08-13-2017, 03:33 PM
2) Oh yeah it will. Miss a game and you average 9.9 rebounds rather than 10 for the season. Players will care.
3) 10 games is too few, but miss a quarter of the season and you should not be eligible to win MVP/DPOY/6MOY etc.
4.) So, teams that genuinely have 3 or more injuries that happen between games suddenly forfeit all of their games? Never going to happen.
5) Teams will horrible injury years are often in the lottery, and it's punishing teams that are having bad years anyhow.

In reality none of them matter because you can't tell when a player is resting or injured.

Scoots, I agree its very hard to tell if a player is injured or resting, however- like i mentioned with kyrie, lebron, and love all getting injured and recovering at the exact same time? come on- its impossible to prove they arent injured- but when it happens like 3 or 4 times in one season???

So I agree its hard to make the judgement whether a player is injured or just resting- but if the consequences are severe enough, then the players themselves will indicate whether they can play or not. They will indicate how important that rest is.

ewing
08-14-2017, 05:58 AM

That's why you tell them not to be so soft

kobe4thewinbang
08-16-2017, 05:39 PM
I noticed the schedule dropped the other day...and thought it curious that the Lakers almost go a whole week without a game. Not sure how that would affect ratings and revenue, but it could help with rest.

I think these measures may work too, at least kicking these rich punks in the *** a bit, owners are pro-revenue and pro-ratings so they want these bums to play.

Also interesting that they have a few back to back games with the same team. I assume that means flying and then hosting or vice versa, but it wouldn't hurt the league to try out a series-style schedule like in the MLB. It would mean far less travel costs. Just saying. It reminds me of custom schedule options in NBA 2K when I would see the same teams squaring off back to back.

FlashBolt
08-16-2017, 10:43 PM
I noticed the schedule dropped the other day...and thought it curious that the Lakers almost go a whole week without a game. Not sure how that would affect ratings and revenue, but it could help with rest.

I think these measures may work too, at least kicking these rich punks in the *** a bit, owners are pro-revenue and pro-ratings so they want these bums to play.

Also interesting that they have a few back to back games with the same team. I assume that means flying and then hosting or vice versa, but it wouldn't hurt the league to try out a series-style schedule like in the MLB. It would mean far less travel costs. Just saying. It reminds me of custom schedule options in NBA 2K when I would see the same teams squaring off back to back.

Why would Lakers need rest? They're a very young team with rookies coming in. I gotta tell ya, I think Lonzo Ball will draw an insane amount of viewers. His dad has done an amazing job pumping in the Ball family name. If Lonzo can prove everyone wrong, this season will be VERY interesting. I hated his dad but man, this guy has made NBA a whole lot of topics to talk about. Only thing I hate is the stupid BBB products.

kobe4thewinbang
08-17-2017, 01:26 AM
Why would Lakers need rest? They're a very young team with rookies coming in. I gotta tell ya, I think Lonzo Ball will draw an insane amount of viewers. His dad has done an amazing job pumping in the Ball family name. If Lonzo can prove everyone wrong, this season will be VERY interesting. I hated his dad but man, this guy has made NBA a whole lot of topics to talk about. Only thing I hate is the stupid BBB products.Not so much that they need the rest, just that I hadn't seen that kind of gap before. Maybe late in the season? Not sure how schedules typically go. Figured it might be a teams-wide strategy being employed. And yeah, Lonzo is causing enough buzz and credit to Lavar as well. I read somewhere after the schedule dropped that the Lakers have the 3rd most National TV games this upcoming season despite the lack of contender status, not sure how it compares to the average cuz I know they usually get a fair share, but it's definitely getting people interested. Buss family probably real happy compared to having D'Lo run the point, lol. #ImissyouDLO

FlashBolt
08-17-2017, 04:17 AM
Not so much that they need the rest, just that I hadn't seen that kind of gap before. Maybe late in the season? Not sure how schedules typically go. Figured it might be a teams-wide strategy being employed. And yeah, Lonzo is causing enough buzz and credit to Lavar as well. I read somewhere after the schedule dropped that the Lakers have the 3rd most National TV games this upcoming season despite the lack of contender status, not sure how it compares to the average cuz I know they usually get a fair share, but it's definitely getting people interested. Buss family probably real happy compared to having D'Lo run the point, lol. #ImissyouDLO

Lonzo+Ingram+Clarkson are probably going to run the ball every chance they get. Did Ingram pack some lbs on his body? He still looks like he's going to get bullied around the basket.

Heediot
08-17-2017, 06:06 AM
go wnba/college/fiba/euro and reduce games to 40 mins. that basically cuts 13-14 games worth of minutes.

nba is complaining about game length, players/coaches want more rest. fans mostly care for the 4th q and end of games anyway.

warfelg
08-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Hmmm I actually think that a "bye week" built into pre and post all star break would be a great idea. 4-6 days of no games. Tell teams if their players need rest there's a good time.

I didn't add it in but your idea of a series wouldn't really work since you play the other conference only twice in a home and home. But if you want to do back to backs it should have to be a same city or easy trip back to backs. IE: Clips/Lakers back to back; Nets/Knicks; Heat/Magic; Warriors/Kings; Sixers/Wiz....there's a decent amount more where the distance time wise is short. Those should be your back to backs. No more of this Boston/Charlotte back to back BS.

likemystylez
08-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Heard jeff van gundy on nba radio 86 xm today and I gotta agree with his take on all this talk about rest. The nba is the only industry that has management spending so much time and effort getting employees to show up to work and do their jobs that they are paid for.

LOL and these are the same employees during the cba who are worried about not making enough of basketball income (which comes in large part from the tv deals)- yet so many of the star players think their rest is more important than playing.

LOL nba has been around 70 years, and this was never as much of an issue as it id today? how did past generation players survive

Jamiecballer
08-17-2017, 11:12 PM

I think whatever the deterrent to resting players is needs to hit hard for when they are on the road. That's where the problem is. I also think that the teams that rest guys on nationally televised games need to have their cut of the tv revenue income cut.Love idea number 2. Might be the best idea I've heard except there is a problem here. The players aren't the problem. It's strategic and comes from the coaching staff or higher. Still might be the solution.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
08-18-2017, 04:30 AM
Heard jeff van gundy on nba radio 86 xm today and I gotta agree with his take on all this talk about rest. The nba is the only industry that has management spending so much time and effort getting employees to show up to work and do their jobs that they are paid for.

LOL and these are the same employees during the cba who are worried about not making enough of basketball income (which comes in large part from the tv deals)- yet so many of the star players think their rest is more important than playing.

LOL nba has been around 70 years, and this was never as much of an issue as it id today? how did past generation players survive

again different league... you are delusional if you think a MJ had as off season like a Lebron... the league today guys might rest more during the year but because of social media etc guys are working out in the off season hard as hell with little to no me time... again comparing the league when say wilt played to now is just as much idiotic because less teams/less travel... Now lets add in the media factor and how players are forced to do interviews etc etc etc... the league is much much much different now and top stars have it harder compared to the 90s/80s and so on down the list because of social media/media and the quick up and down play plus all the other aspects that go into a much more evolved game plan.... But I guess none of these factors matter right? Old players/coaches/fans should try to understand such things or shut up because they are speaking from a ignorant point of view.

Heediot
08-18-2017, 08:07 AM
again different league... you are delusional if you think a MJ had as off season like a Lebron... the league today guys might rest more during the year but because of social media etc guys are working out in the off season hard as hell with little to no me time... again comparing the league when say wilt played to now is just as much idiotic because less teams/less travel... Now lets add in the media factor and how players are forced to do interviews etc etc etc... the league is much much much different now and top stars have it harder compared to the 90s/80s and so on down the list because of social media/media and the quick up and down play plus all the other aspects that go into a much more evolved game plan.... But I guess none of these factors matter right? Old players/coaches/fans should try to understand such things or shut up because they are speaking from a ignorant point of view.

In the 90's there were stars who busted there ***** off just as much as the stars today, and there are stars that didn't work out as much just there are stars today similarly. Today's players may have better advancement in workouts and nutrition, but that doesn't take away from some of the guys in the 90's work ethics. Most of the time with a few exceptions, the best for the best in any sport or field are usually the guys who bust their tail off regardless of time in history. History favors those who are bold and those who are willing to suffer/sacrifice.

What interviews? I haven't heard one ****ing interview from anyone besides KD going to India.

likemystylez
08-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Michael Jordan might be the worst example you could have picked to illustrate that point. Michael Jordan was/is the most iconic athlete in pro sports history and it isnt even close. Michael Jordan was starring in movies, doing all sorts of interviews, (and not through webcam from the comfort of his home), he was in as many commercials as any player in the league is today, oh yeah and he was constantly attending events to build his brand (Literally speaking)

Scoots
08-18-2017, 09:47 AM

You think Walmart doesn't spend considerable resources dealing with planning for, and working to reduce the frequency of employees not showing up for work?

TheDish87
08-18-2017, 11:48 AM

oh poor guys having to take a few mins to address the media, that must be so taxing. it must suck to fly in a private jet and now flying as easy and convenient as ever. these guys have it easier then ever with all the advancements in nutrition, exercise, supplements, recovery tools, etc, etc, etc. No one is forcing these dudes to go hard in the off season but its their job so its natural to keep working to be prepared.

More-Than-Most
08-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Michael Jordan might be the worst example you could have picked to illustrate that point. Michael Jordan was/is the most iconic athlete in pro sports history and it isnt even close. Michael Jordan was starring in movies, doing all sorts of interviews, (and not through webcam from the comfort of his home), he was in as many commercials as any player in the league is today, oh yeah and he was constantly attending events to build his brand (Literally speaking)

um Jordan is the perfect example because of how iconic he was and in todays game in his prime it would be insane but back then Jordan did not get covered anywhere close to how lebron/kobe got covered in the mid 2000s and on.

More-Than-Most
08-18-2017, 03:10 PM
oh poor guys having to take a few mins to address the media, that must be so taxing. it must suck to fly in a private jet and now flying as easy and convenient as ever. these guys have it easier then ever with all the advancements in nutrition, exercise, supplements, recovery tools, etc, etc, etc. No one is forcing these dudes to go hard in the off season but its their job so its natural to keep working to be prepared.

um if lebron did half the ******** charles/Jordan did in the off season from the gambling/partying/drinking/etc they would be shunned out of the league... and yes the advancements today are just that but players are bigger/stronger/faster and the game is quicker and much more intelligent.

TheDish87
08-18-2017, 03:42 PM
no one cares about players gambling or partying unless they get out of line and how does that matter in terms of needing more rest in the season lol. Players arent as bigger, faster, and stronger than you think either. The game sure is faster but way less physical so who cares? how does that justify needing more rest when there are so many great and fast recovery options. you have done a poor job with your take.

likemystylez
08-18-2017, 03:50 PM
um Jordan is the perfect example because of how iconic he was and in todays game in his prime it would be insane but back then Jordan did not get covered anywhere close to how lebron/kobe got covered in the mid 2000s and on.

Jordan would have adapted to coverage. hed move the ball, the team would work better to get him in positions to score. I understand the officiating was ridiculously favoring him (esp his last 2 or 3 yrs)- but Jordan in a league without hand checking- hed figure it out.

Another thing I thought to add to the social media BS point that was made. POP and the spurs are the ones who really made this sitting players thing so trendy. Generally speaking-spurs players are about as low profile as possible. LMAo, 26 yr old k leonard isn't sitting out games in march because he has exhausted himself on social media.... I just don't buy it.

I don't believe tony parker works harder the last 5 days then a guy like John Stockton did 20 yrs ago..... regardless of what technologies are available in their eras

Vee-Rex
08-18-2017, 03:53 PM
I read somewhere that 32-33'ish minutes in today's NBA is the equivalent of 36 minutes in the '90's NBA. The pace of today's league is faster, there's more movement and spacing on offense (which means defenses have to sprint/scramble/run more often to recover), there's less emphasis on post game which gives defenders breathers, and athletes are generally quicker. "Rest" days aren't because a player is tired and CANNOT play, they're utilized to maximize a player's effectiveness and help avoid injury with the more high octane style of today's basketball. Science overwhelmingly supports and encourages this.

I mean, I can play 48 minutes 82 games a season if I'm not moving much at all on the court.

^^^Extreme hyperbolizing, but it's to illustrate a point. Today's game is different from the '90's and the comparisons just need to stop.

likemystylez
08-18-2017, 03:54 PM
You think Walmart doesn't spend considerable resources dealing with planning for, and working to reduce the frequency of employees not showing up for work?

I don't think walmart has a problem with employees wanting to get paid and not show not for work to this level. I don't think their executive team is nearly as worried about it.... to change the hours or coverage to accommodate employees wanting to get paid for sitting at home.

I could be wrong, but I think its made pretty clear in most industries that you are expected to be at work if possible. Staying home from work because you cant go to work is one thing, staying home because you are tired is kind of unprofessional in most lines of work.

More-Than-Most
08-18-2017, 07:31 PM
I read somewhere that 32-33'ish minutes in today's NBA is the equivalent of 36 minutes in the '90's NBA. The pace of today's league is faster, there's more movement and spacing on offense (which means defenses have to sprint/scramble/run more often to recover), there's less emphasis on post game which gives defenders breathers, and athletes are generally quicker. "Rest" days aren't because a player is tired and CANNOT play, they're utilized to maximize a player's effectiveness and help avoid injury with the more high octane style of today's basketball. Science overwhelmingly supports and encourages this.

I mean, I can play 48 minutes 82 games a season if I'm not moving much at all on the court.

^^^Extreme hyperbolizing, but it's to illustrate a point. Today's game is different from the '90's and the comparisons just need to stop.

pretty much something i said and i got called soft lol.

Scoots
08-18-2017, 09:23 PM
I don't think walmart has a problem with employees wanting to get paid and not show not for work to this level. I don't think their executive team is nearly as worried about it.... to change the hours or coverage to accommodate employees wanting to get paid for sitting at home.

I could be wrong, but I think its made pretty clear in most industries that you are expected to be at work if possible. Staying home from work because you cant go to work is one thing, staying home because you are tired is kind of unprofessional in most lines of work.

Let's review what level "this level" is ... Warriors starters missed a total of 8 work days to rest for the year, and they had more work days than any other team except the Cavs. Do you think the typical Walmart employee averages fewer unexcused absences a year?

The fact is that the "new player rest rules" are nothing because the league knows they can't keep teams from resting players, and they know it's not really a big deal, it's just that it's been talked about enough they had to say something.

likemystylez
08-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Let's review what level "this level" is ... Warriors starters missed a total of 8 work days to rest for the year, and they had more work days than any other team except the Cavs. Do you think the typical Walmart employee averages fewer unexcused absences a year?

The fact is that the "new player rest rules" are nothing because the league knows they can't keep teams from resting players, and they know it's not really a big deal, it's just that it's been talked about enough they had to say something.

LOL I think the league views it as a bigger issue than you do. the last few years they have re arranged the schedule, theyve added time on the all star break, they have looked at travel patterns. They have adjusted the schedule of teams headed into nationally televised games. IMO the league has gone above and beyond what could be reasonable expected to resolve the issue from their end.

Thats a lot of adjustments for something that "isnt really a big deal". The people making the tv deals and the advertisers might disagree with you as well.

ewing
08-19-2017, 07:10 AM

Van Gundy is like the one honest voice in basketball these days

Scoots
08-19-2017, 08:36 PM
LOL I think the league views it as a bigger issue than you do. the last few years they have re arranged the schedule, theyve added time on the all star break, they have looked at travel patterns. They have adjusted the schedule of teams headed into nationally televised games. IMO the league has gone above and beyond what could be reasonable expected to resolve the issue from their end.

Thats a lot of adjustments for something that "isnt really a big deal". The people making the tv deals and the advertisers might disagree with you as well.

The "new player rest rules" is not a big deal. The schedule rearranging was already all a done deal. This is just talk to talk.

Scoots
08-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Van Gundy is like the one honest voice in basketball these days

Oh yeah, he NEVER exaggerates or says something he doesn't believe.

ewing
08-20-2017, 12:14 AM
Oh yeah, he NEVER exaggerates or says something he doesn't believe.

of course he does but he says more things right then anyone

alexander_37
08-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Hockey is played in roughly 45 second shifts and almost every team runs all 4 of their lines. Goalies are kind of played like pitchers usually the starter playing 50-60 games backups playing the rest.

I like this change tbh should help lower injuries at least a bit. Really its helping star heavy teams though.

Scoots
08-20-2017, 10:35 AM

He's never agreed with a coach firing. Never.

da ThRONe
08-20-2017, 10:38 AM
It all goes back to reducing the season. 82 games just isn't optimal any more for television, players health, and (maybe most importantly) gambling. If somebody in the league office(that matters) finally gets the idea that less is more the league will reduce a lot of the issues that they feel they have today.

ewing
08-20-2017, 04:30 PM
He's never agreed with a coach firing. Never.

he's basis for coaches b/c he is one. kind of like you are basis for everything in the status quo/current trend b/c your team is the most talented/successful

Scoots
08-20-2017, 08:45 PM
he's basis for coaches b/c he is one. kind of like you are basis for everything in the status quo/current trend b/c your team is the most talented/successful

I know JVG has biases ... that was my point. The way he talks it's clear he's always kind of protecting himself from losing a possible future job. He's not the worst by any means, but he doesn't always tell the truth either.

Actually my opinions on pretty much everything regarding the NBA haven't changed in a decade at least. And I think you'll find I'm far from being for the status quo. But I'm a realist and I realize what is and what is not going to change any time soon, and I can tell when someone is talking because they feel it's important they say something.

FlashBolt
08-21-2017, 01:27 AM

You only like him because he loves the old school style of basketball and that fits your agenda.

valade16
08-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Interesting that many people are mad at teams for resting players and Pop is pretty much the biggest culprit and he has largely avoided any criticism. He is an almost mythical figure at this point.

Vee-Rex
08-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Interesting that many people are mad at teams for resting players and Pop is pretty much the biggest culprit and he has largely avoided any criticism. He is an almost mythical figure at this point.

He has taken some criticism.

The problem is that people HATE certain players (especially LeBron) and so when those players rest it produces unprecedented quantities of anger inside of them.

Honestly, that's what all of this is about. Again, I refer to the b2b last year on December 13th and December 14th. Cavs played the Grizzlies both nights. On the first night, Marc Gasol rested. There was NO ONE, I repeat - NO ONE that got upset about this. Cavs won.

Then on the 2nd night (Dec 14th), LeBron rested (Grizzlies won) and it very nearly caused World War 3.

People are hypocrites.

likemystylez
08-21-2017, 03:54 PM
You only like him because he loves the old school style of basketball and that fits your agenda.

No- hes just a straight shooter.... and his narrative doesn't seem to be following a networks agenda.

He calls out refs all the time for questionable calls or solutions to game situations.

He doesn't believe a game should be reffed or played different in the playoffs.

He calls out players for protesting BS narratives like the Mike Brown "Hands up don't shoot"- where the players are supporting that just to be trendy and don't really have a solid understanding of the situation.

Generally speaking regardless of the source- he doesn't accept BS explanations at face value.

Scoots
08-21-2017, 05:49 PM

He gets criticized, but he just says "stuff it" and the league and the press know they can't do anything to him. :)

valade16
08-21-2017, 05:57 PM
He gets criticized, but he just says "stuff it" and the league and the press know they can't do anything to him. :)

I meant more so from fans and/or people here on PSD.

likemystylez
08-21-2017, 06:13 PM

See, I wouldn't have a problem with that except when the spurs owner Peter Holt comes out during the lock out complaining about owners are operating in the red during the last CBA.

I realize Peter Holt and pop aren't the same person, but if operating in the red was such a strong concern for Peter Holt during the lock out- You think he might talk to his employees about the importance of keeping the TV companies happy. Otherwise its hard to take anybody from the organization seriously about anything if they pretend to be worried about something one day when it fits their agenda and then it doesn't matter the next day.

FlashBolt
08-21-2017, 08:42 PM
No- hes just a straight shooter.... and his narrative doesn't seem to be following a networks agenda.

He calls out refs all the time for questionable calls or solutions to game situations.

He doesn't believe a game should be reffed or played different in the playoffs.

He calls out players for protesting BS narratives like the Mike Brown "Hands up don't shoot"- where the players are supporting that just to be trendy and don't really have a solid understanding of the situation.

Generally speaking regardless of the source- he doesn't accept BS explanations at face value.

You would be surprised at how many times JVG just straightup contradicts himself but since he's always speaking some controversial junk, people disregard it. He has some great points but gets lost talking about himself and way off-topic.

Scoots
08-21-2017, 11:10 PM
You would be surprised at how many times JVG just straightup contradicts himself but since he's always speaking some controversial junk, people disregard it. He has some great points but gets lost talking about himself and way off-topic.

The best thing he does is call Jackson on HIS contradictions.

FlashBolt
08-21-2017, 11:12 PM
The best thing he does is call Jackson on HIS contradictions.

Jackson is a joke. Only commentator I like is Barkley.. cause he's funny. Rest are just annoying.

Scoots
08-22-2017, 12:27 AM
Jackson is a joke. Only commentator I like is Barkley.. cause he's funny. Rest are just annoying.

I've never heard Barkley work a game that I recall.

I think it should be 1 play by play guy and 1 color guy who should be a former player or coach and he should have a long contract so he can say what he wants and not have to care who hears it. 2 or 3 color guys is WAY too many.