PDA

View Full Version : Down 3-0 Against the 2017 Warriors, build a team with .....

JordansBulls
08-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Down 3-0 Against the 2017 Warriors, build a team with no more than 2 players all time that have won league mvp and a 6th man and fill out the roster to beat the Warriors and come back from 3-0. No more than 4 allstars on the squad as well for those years you are choosing the players.

What would your roster look like?

Example:

PG Kyrie or Stockton or Zeke or Payton for example (allstar either one)
SG MJ (MVP)
SF Dale Ellis (1988)
PF Lebron( MVP year pick one)
C Ewing (1993)

6th man --> Ben Gordon
Remember for the guys that won mvp it doesn't matter if you pick a non mvp year, they still were guys who won mvp.

GREATNESS ONE
08-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Payton or Stockton
MJ
Kawhi Leonard
Robert Horry? A stretch 4 here
Shaq

6th man
Manu? Clarkson? Rocco? StillBallin? Scoots? Would it even matter?

lakerfan85
08-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Payton
MJ
Kawhi
Lebron
Porzingis
Sixth man- M. Cooper

Bostonjorge
08-10-2017, 12:02 AM
C. KG MVP 2007
PF. Rodman 1990
SF. Pippen 1991
SG. Kobe MVP 2006
PG. Nash Rookie year

6th man Jason Tatum

Rodman did a great job guarding Magic, Bird and Jordan. KD would have a hard time getting past Rodman. Pippen will also guard KD at times to keep A fresh man on KD. Defense is going to win this championship.

KG will anchor the defense while Kobe leads the offense.

j-bay
08-10-2017, 12:13 AM
Payton or Kidd(NJ Nets version)
Jordan
Odom
Pippen
Duncan
6th Man-Kersey

Lloyd Christmas
08-10-2017, 01:03 AM
This one seems pretty easy to me:

PG - Parker
SG - Ginobili
SF - Bowen
PF - Lebron
C - Duncan
6th - Horry

Basically the spurs at their peak plus Lebron. I thought about Duncan at PF with Shaq, but he'd stop all ball movement. Lebron fits too well in pop's system.

NYKalltheway
08-10-2017, 03:43 AM
MJ doesn't play in a Finals Game 7, bad choice :D

JAZZNC
08-10-2017, 05:29 AM
Stockton
MJ
Bowen
Kawhi
Duncan

KAT

ewing
08-10-2017, 09:31 AM
John Paxson
MJ
Pip
Horce
Bill
BJ

WaDe03
08-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Wade
MJ
Kawhi
LeBron
Ewing

Manu

Hawkeye15
08-10-2017, 10:18 AM
John Stockton (1995)
Reggie Miller (1996)
Scottie Pippen (1995)
Larry Bird (1985)
Hakeem Olajuwon (1993)
6th- Peja Stojakovic (2008)

Defenders who can switch on picks, try going small ball on that lineup. 3 (4 with Stockton I guess) shooters to keep up with a bomb war if necessary as well, and this team would destroy GS on the glass.

Isn't it sad, that you actually have to put in effort, to build a team with 2 MVP's, and 4 all stars, to beat GS? In reality, the rules set in place by the OP, builds a team GS ACTUALLY HAS!

mrblisterdundee
08-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Down 3-0 Against the 2017 Warriors, build a team with no more than 2 players all time that have won league mvp and a 6th man and fill out the roster to beat the Warriors and come back from 3-0. No more than 4 allstars on the squad as well for those years you are choosing the players.

What would your roster look like?

PG: 98-99 Payton
SG: Jordan
SF: Pippen
PF: LeBron
C: Davis
6th man: 90-91 Rodman

LeonFSU
08-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Conley
Jordan
McGrady
Kawhi
Shaq

Towns

ewing
08-10-2017, 01:38 PM
DJ
Ainge
Bird
McHale
Parish
Walton

Hawkeye15
08-10-2017, 01:54 PM
DJ
Ainge
Bird
McHale
Parish
Walton

I get what you are doing, but no team, in history, is beating the current GS team in modern rules imo.

Who exactly, is either Parish, or Walton guarding? Or McHale for that matter? You don't have any defenders who can leave the paint up front on your team.

ewing
08-10-2017, 02:09 PM
I get what you are doing, but no team, in history, is beating the current GS team in modern rules imo.

Who exactly, is either Parish, or Walton guarding? Or McHale for that matter? You don't have any defenders who can leave the paint up front on your team.

Green can shoot all the 3s he wants and he can try to defend Kevin McHale.

Hawkeye15
08-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Green can shoot all the 3s he wants and he can try to defend Kevin McHale.

I thought about the 86' Celtics a lot. They would get lost in a track meet unfortunately, and the sheer amount of open 3's GS would have, would be way too much. They just don't have the defenders to stop the long range shots, or dribble drives that 4 of the Warriors can handle, 3 at an elite level. Like at all.

I would use the basis of that team, but sprinkle in more versatile defenders up front. I know the theory is that Boston will just have layup after layup, but it wouldn't be that easy unfortunately.

I also get that you don't think this current GS team is as special as others do. I disagree. There has never been a team this talented up top. No team has ever had this much elite talent all in the peaks of their careers, and players who mesh so well with each other. They are a machine dude, unlike anything we have seen before. Barring injuries/chemistry issues, they are running the table the next few years.

Dade County
08-10-2017, 03:06 PM

LOL

No more then 4 All Stars right?

Dragic
Wade
Jordan
AD
Timmy

KAT

Wade to the line 97 times... Jordan doing what he does... AD & Timmy dominating the paint. Dragic consistently pushing the ball up court with Wade & Lbj on each side. I need better 3pt shooting though.

hugepatsfan
08-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Ron Harper
Ray Allen
Kawhi
Lebron
KG

KAT

mrblisterdundee
08-10-2017, 03:55 PM

How about all-time lineups from specific teams? That makes it a little more interesting than as currently constructed:

• Celtics: Bradley, Havlicek, Pierce, Bird, Garnett, Smart
• Lakers: Magic, West, Baylor, Gasol, Shaq, Artest
• Bulls: Rose, Jordan, Butler, Pippen, Grant, Rodman
• Spurs: Parker, Ginobili, Leonard, Duncan, Robinson, Elliott/Bowen/Gervin/Rodman
• Rockets - Harden, Drexler, McGrady, Pippen, Olajuwon, Battier

Hawkeye15
08-10-2017, 04:03 PM
How about all-time lineups from specific teams? That makes it a little more interesting than as currently constructed:

• Celtics: Bradley, Havlicek, Pierce, Bird, Garnett, Smart
• Lakers: Magic, West, Baylor, Gasol, Shaq, Artest
• Bulls: Rose, Jordan, Butler, Pippen, Grant, Rodman
• Spurs: Parker, Ginobili, Leonard, Duncan, Robinson, Elliott/Bowen/Gervin/Rodman
• Rockets - Harden, Drexler, McGrady, Pippen, Olajuwon, Battier

right, that is the only way to beat this Warriors team, is to put together a stacked roster from different teams or years. That is kind of my point in my original post.

The OP said: You can only have 2 players that ever won MVP. You can also only have 4 players who made an all star team in the year you use them.

That seems easy, right? I mean, my god, what a team you can put together, with 2 MVP's, and 4 all stars (2 of them being the MVP's).

BUT, that is literally what GS is haha, and every one of those guys is in their peak. ****ing insane dude.

MVP's: Durant, Curry (2 times)
All stars: Durant, Curry, Klay, Green (multiple years, all in 2017)
Finals MVP's: Durant, Iggy
All NBA: Durant, Curry, Green, Klay--have all made it in the past 2 seasons.

Their 4 studs are all under 30, and in their absolute peaks right now.

GS is the same as putting an all-forever team together. It's that ridiculous what we are seeing right now, and it's more annoying by the day.

ewing
08-10-2017, 04:12 PM
I thought about the 86' Celtics a lot. They would get lost in a track meet unfortunately, and the sheer amount of open 3's GS would have, would be way too much. They just don't have the defenders to stop the long range shots, or dribble drives that 4 of the Warriors can handle, 3 at an elite level. Like at all.

I would use the basis of that team, but sprinkle in more versatile defenders up front. I know the theory is that Boston will just have layup after layup, but it wouldn't be that easy unfortunately.

I also get that you don't think this current GS team is as special as others do. I disagree. There has never been a team this talented up top. No team has ever had this much elite talent all in the peaks of their careers, and players who mesh so well with each other. They are a machine dude, unlike anything we have seen before. Barring injuries/chemistry issues, they are running the table the next few years.

If Houston can stay healthy they will give them problems

Hawkeye15
08-10-2017, 04:17 PM

if they catch fire maybe, but not really otherwise. At least not problems in that they stand a chance to win a 7 game series unless completely weird things happen.

I know you are a nostalgic guy (your 90's bias at times shows through strong!), so maybe it will take until you are looking back at this GS team to understand what you are really watching. 4 players, 2 of which are 1st ballot HOF'ers, the other 2 will make it, all in their absolute peaks, with symmetrical skillsets, and role players that are not only good, but fit. There has never been a team this talented up top. There have been teams with the names (think early 80's Lakers), but those names weren't at their peaks near the same time, some guys falling, some rising, etc. GS has 2 of the top 4 players in the game, another top 10 player, and another top 25 player. Oh and they bring a guy off the bench that won Finals MVP just 2 years ago..

They will jack any team I have ever seen. Too good on both ends, and they can easily replace one of their stars production if foul trouble or injury play.

ewing
08-10-2017, 04:26 PM
if they catch fire maybe, but not really otherwise. At least not problems in that they stand a chance to win a 7 game series unless completely weird things happen.

I know you are a nostalgic guy (your 90's bias at times shows through strong!), so maybe it will take until you are looking back at this GS team to understand what you are really watching. 4 players, 2 of which are 1st ballot HOF'ers, the other 2 will make it, all in their absolute peaks, with symmetrical skillsets, and role players that are not only good, but fit. There has never been a team this talented up top. There have been teams with the names (think early 80's Lakers), but those names weren't at their peaks near the same time, some guys falling, some rising, etc. GS has 2 of the top 4 players in the game, another top 10 player, and another top 25 player. Oh and they bring a guy off the bench that won Finals MVP just 2 years ago..

They will jack any team I have ever seen. Too good on both ends, and they can easily replace one of their stars production if foul trouble or injury play.

I am not saying they aren't great, they are. Last year I crowned them before the season started. Right now I am saying the Rocket got a shot. Just like Clev had a shot two years ago. you guys are caught in the moment. Yes they are great but they are also beatable.

hugepatsfan
08-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Don't see it. HOU is a top heavy team around their top 2... except GS's top 2 is still decisively better. And then GS has at least 3 players better than anyone else on HOU.

I get that it isn't as simple as just comparing talent but it's not like there's questionable fits in GS. They have about as perfect a team chemistry as you could dream up. The pieces fitting together would be a much bigger concern in HOU than in GS.

Hawkeye15
08-10-2017, 04:32 PM
I am not saying they aren't great, they are. Last year I crowned them before the season started. Right now I am saying the Rocket got a shot. Just like Clev had a shot two years ago. you guys are caught in the moment. Yes they are great but they are also beatable.

You know what, you are right. I shouldn't just cancel the season before it starts. Weirder things have happened.

I guess we both agree, GS is very, very heavy favorites to repeat. That doesn't mean the other 29 teams just quit.

WaDe03
08-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Just saw my team didn't fit the requirements.

Wade
Jordan
Kawhi
LeBron
Whiteside

Manu

mightybosstone
08-10-2017, 04:46 PM
I'd go with something like this:

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Kawhi Leonard
PF: Lebron James (MVP)
C: Hakeem Olajuwon (MVP)
6th man: Dwyane Wade

I want guys who can defend multiple positions at an elite level, playmakers, elite 3-point shooters and guys with experience coming up clutch in big moments. As a massive homer, Hakeem had to make the list, and I had to decide between MJ or Lebron. I went with Lebron solely because I think he's a more versatile player who matches up better in today's NBA against a team like Golden State. But if I switched to MJ, my team would look more like this:

SG: Michael Jordan (MVP)
PF: Robert Horry
6th: Dwyane Wade

Edit: I'm a little confused by OP's rules on a second reading. Can you not have four all-stars on your team? Or you just can't four guys who were all-stars at the same time? If the former is true, then swap out Kawhi for Horry in my first squad and swap out Wade for an elite 6th man and shooter like Jason Terry.

ewing
08-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Don't see it. HOU is a top heavy team around their top 2... except GS's top 2 is still decisively better. And then GS has at least 3 players better than anyone else on HOU.

I get that it isn't as simple as just comparing talent but it's not like there's questionable fits in GS. They have about as perfect a team chemistry as you could dream up. The pieces fitting together would be a much bigger concern in HOU than in GS.

I don't think there top two are decisively better. I also don't think they have next best 3 players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostonjorge
08-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Seriously tho this Warriors team is not the Ultimate team ever. A back to back Championship after this coming year and 3 in 4 years. No way they get a 3 peat in 2019. This team "can" happen and over take them. They don't need Jordan form the past to save them.

C. Robin Lopez with his hair in breads on away games
PF James
SF George
SG Westbrook
PG. Ball(he's 6'6)

6th man Ingram. Ingram has always been a dangerous scorer since Duke. Better scorer then Harrison Barnes was for GS. His game will grow especially his scoring. Death lineup.

C. James
PF. George
SF. Ingram
SG. Westbrook
PG. Ball

James plays the Green role and runs the team defense. Only guards the best bigs and only on switches does he guard the best ball handling scoring players. 6'8

George gets the Crowder role in Boston. Guard the best scoring players . KD is the Super assignment for him. 6'9

Ingram plays off the ball scoring and he can keep the other teams defense honest. His on ball defense is also a weapon. 6'9

Westbrook gets the Isiah Thomas role in Boston as the "Ace". The guy who gets you buckets over anyone. Closing out every game in the 4th. 6'3

Ball runs the point and he has 2 key close to elite assets already as a ball handler. He don't turnover the ball and he can run a offense with his passing game. Getting assist and making wide open 3's will be his role. 6'9

Hawkeye15
08-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Seriously tho this Warriors team is not the Ultimate team ever. A back to back Championship after this coming year and 3 in 4 years. No way they get a 3 peat in 2019. This team "can" happen and over take them. They don't need Jordan form the past to save them.

C. Robin Lopez with his hair in breads on away games
PF James
SF George
SG Westbrook
PG. Ball(he's 6'6)

6th man Ingram. Ingram has always been a dangerous scorer since Duke. Better scorer then Harrison Barnes was for GS. His game will grow especially his scoring. Death lineup.

C. James
PF. George
SF. Ingram
SG. Westbrook
PG. Ball

James plays the Green role and runs the team defense. Only guards the best bigs and only on switches does he guard the best ball handling scoring players. 6'8

George gets the Crowder role in Boston. Guard the best scoring players . KD is the Super assignment for him. 6'9

Ingram plays off the ball scoring and he can keep the other teams defense honest. His on ball defense is also a weapon. 6'9

Westbrook gets the Isiah Thomas role in Boston as the "Ace". The guy who gets you buckets over anyone. Closing out every game in the 4th. 6'3

Ball runs the point and he has 2 key close to elite assets already as a ball handler. He don't turnover the ball and he can run a offense with his passing game. Getting assist and making wide open 3's will be his role. 6'9

GS would smash either of those teams.

Ball? Are you high?

Westbrook and LeBron wouldn't last 2 minutes on the same team.

And yes, the current GS team would beat any team in history in today's rules.

WaDe03
08-10-2017, 05:43 PM
I'd go with something like this:

PF: Lebron James (MVP)
6th man: Dwyane Wade

I want guys who can defend multiple positions at an elite level, playmakers, elite 3-point shooters and guys with experience coming up clutch in big moments. As a massive homer, Hakeem had to make the list, and I had to decide between MJ or Lebron. I went with Lebron solely because I think he's a more versatile player who matches up better in today's NBA against a team like Golden State. But if I switched to MJ, my team would look more like this:

SG: Michael Jordan (MVP)
PF: Robert Horry
6th: Dwyane Wade

Edit: I'm a little confused by OP's rules on a second reading. Can you not have four all-stars on your team? Or you just can't four guys who were all-stars at the same time? If the former is true, then swap out Kawhi for Horry in my first squad and swap out Wade for an elite 6th man and shooter like Jason Terry.

You've got to start the GOAT on both of those teams.

CP3
Wade
Kawhi
LeBron
Hakeem

Ray

CP3
Wade
Jordan
Kawhi
Hakeem

Horry

mightybosstone
08-10-2017, 11:09 PM
You've got to start the GOAT on both of those teams.

CP3
Wade
Kawhi
LeBron
Hakeem

Ray

CP3
Wade
Jordan
Kawhi
Hakeem

Horry

Nah. I want Wade coming off the bench as an elite offensive spark plug. Also, with Paul and either Jordan or Lebron, that's a lot of ball handlers already in the starting lineup. And I'd prefer to have elite shooters starting. I definitely don't want a lineup with Wade and Jordan together, because that's a lot of mediocrity in terms of perimeter shooting from my wings.

hugepatsfan
08-11-2017, 11:40 AM
I don't think there top two are decisively better. I also don't think they have next best 3 players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine anyone making an argument for Harden or CP3 being better than either Durant or Curry. I guess how wide the gap is between them we could debate but it really isn't even remotely debatable that both Durant and Curry are better than either.

Who on HOU besides CP3/Harden is better than Iggy? Gordon, Ariza, Capela, Anderson, Tucker? Don't see it with any of those guys.

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 11:50 AM
I can't imagine anyone making an argument for Harden or CP3 being better than either Durant or Curry. I guess how wide the gap is between them we could debate but it really isn't even remotely debatable that both Durant and Curry are better than either.

Who on HOU besides CP3/Harden is better than Iggy? Gordon, Ariza, Capela, Anderson, Tucker? Don't see it with any of those guys.

Houston can shoot the ball really well. There's only one possession for the ball so let's not act like the Warriors aren't a bit overkill offensively in terms of distribution of the ball. If Rockets can surround the team with solid shooters/defenders, Houston can steal a few games just by getting damn hot from the three. Harden and CP3 can give you 50 every night. It's not impossible. The way Rockets are designed are primed to beat the Warriors, tbh.

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Houston can shoot the ball really well. There's only one possession for the ball so let's not act like the Warriors aren't a bit overkill offensively in terms of distribution of the ball. If Rockets can surround the team with solid shooters/defenders, Houston can steal a few games just by getting damn hot from the three. Harden and CP3 can give you 50 every night. It's not impossible. The way Rockets are designed are primed to beat the Warriors, tbh.

Houston needs to be hitting to keep with the Warriors. And does any team, really want to get into a shooting contest with GS?

I get we are just trying to figure out who might stand a chance, but in all reality, the Warriors needs to play bad, and any other team great, in order to beat the Warriors in a single game, let alone a series.

ewing
08-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Really? Harden just averaged a near triple double. It is completely conceivable that people wouldn't rank those guys one two and even more believable that they could be outplayed by Harden and Paul in 7 game series. and yeah I take a healthy Gordon

hugepatsfan
08-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Curry and KD actually do give you 50 every night, at least on average. They each average 25 per game.

And then Klay averages 22 so basically any combination of their top 3 has two guys that will get you 50.

Yeah HOU shots the 3 well... GS shoots it better.

Yeah HOU has two great players... GS is headed by 2 better players than either of HOU's stars.

Yeah HOU has good role players behind their top 2... GS has two all-NBA calber guys beyond their top two and then their own good role players.

The Warriors obviously aren't going to go 82-0 and then 16-0. So sure, HOU can definitely beat them. But to say they're "primed to beat the Warriors" is just absurd. It's not even a fair fight on paper.

ewing
08-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Houston needs to be hitting to keep with the Warriors. And does any team, really want to get into a shooting contest with GS?

I get we are just trying to figure out who might stand a chance, but in all reality, the Warriors needs to play bad, and any other team great, in order to beat the Warriors in a single game, let alone a series.

you do have to play really good to beat a great team. should go without saying

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 01:01 PM

Houston has the personnel. They are loaded offensively since their system is just about points, points, and points. You can't stop the Warriors offensively, anyways. Whatever you do won't work considering you require two defenders on Klay, KD, or Steph. I can see Houston beating them but obviously Warriors are still favorites. Houston can beat ANY team if they knock down their threes. If they hit 20+ threes, Warriors are going to need to be able to counter with something close to that. Houston took 40 threes per game last year. That's 25% more than the Warriors did.

nastynice
08-11-2017, 01:47 PM

It's what makes him greater than lebron :)

So him losing in 6 would be better for his legacy than winning in 7, cuz you know, not playing in game 7's is what makes him better

Or was that finals appearances? ..something like that..

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 01:54 PM
you do have to play really good to beat a great team. should go without saying

Houston will need to play above what they will produce on average, and GS will need to produce less.

Basically, Houston needs to play out of their minds to have a chance.

Regarding your other post to Patsfan, no, Harden can't be considered the same as Curry/Durant. Harden is wonderful offensively, but he is not on either of those players overall level. Does anyone really have confidence in either Harden, or Paul, when it gets deep in the playoffs anyways?

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Houston has the personnel. They are loaded offensively since their system is just about points, points, and points. You can't stop the Warriors offensively, anyways. Whatever you do won't work considering you require two defenders on Klay, KD, or Steph. I can see Houston beating them but obviously Warriors are still favorites. Houston can beat ANY team if they knock down their threes. If they hit 20+ threes, Warriors are going to need to be able to counter with something close to that. Houston took 40 threes per game last year. That's 25% more than the Warriors did.

if Houston can get on fire, and/or GS is missing shots they typically make, sure, anything can happen. You play that series 20 times, Houston might win 2-3 times.

nastynice
08-11-2017, 01:58 PM

this guy gets it :clap: :clap: :nod:

Lebron really needs to make a power move next summer and okc hou need to make pushes to keep those pairs together, or else things could get kinda boring.

IKnowHoops
08-11-2017, 02:01 PM
right, that is the only way to beat this Warriors team, is to put together a stacked roster from different teams or years. That is kind of my point in my original post.

The OP said: You can only have 2 players that ever won MVP. You can also only have 4 players who made an all star team in the year you use them.

That seems easy, right? I mean, my god, what a team you can put together, with 2 MVP's, and 4 all stars (2 of them being the MVP's).

BUT, that is literally what GS is haha, and every one of those guys is in their peak. ****ing insane dude.

MVP's: Durant, Curry (2 times)
All stars: Durant, Curry, Klay, Green (multiple years, all in 2017)
Finals MVP's: Durant, Iggy
All NBA: Durant, Curry, Green, Klay--have all made it in the past 2 seasons.

Their 4 studs are all under 30, and in their absolute peaks right now.

GS is the same as putting an all-forever team together. It's that ridiculous what we are seeing right now, and it's more annoying by the day.

Lolololol, I'm very glad I'm not annoyed by GS.

ewing
08-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Houston will need to play above what they will produce on average, and GS will need to produce less.

Regarding your other post to Patsfan, no, Harden can't be considered the same as Curry/Durant. Harden is wonderful offensively, but he is not on either of those players overall level. Does anyone really have confidence in either Harden, or Paul, when it gets deep in the playoffs anyways?

Of course he can

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Of course he can

he isn't on their level as a player. When he can guard me, maybe then.

ewing
08-11-2017, 03:40 PM
he isn't on their level as a player. When he can guard me, maybe then.

you can like Curry more even think he is definitely a better player saying is on another level is silly. there is no MJ in todays league. LeBron is the closest after him there are a handful of truly guys and they include James Harden.

Hawkeye15
08-11-2017, 03:48 PM
you can like Curry more even think he is definitely a better player saying is on another level is silly. there is no MJ in todays league. LeBron is the closest after him there are a handful of truly guys and they include James Harden.

and that is fine, but he isn't in my top tier for guys I am taking. Curry and Durant are. Then again, it's all about perception as well. I wouldn't take Westbrook either on the same level as Curry, Durant, Lebron, or Leonard.

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 04:21 PM
if Houston can get on fire, and/or GS is missing shots they typically make, sure, anything can happen. You play that series 20 times, Houston might win 2-3 times.

I'm giving them more of a shot. This Warriors team is historic but CP3+Harden surrounded by shooters is nothing to scoff at. Still, this speaks volumes to how great the Warriors/stacked they are. Harden+CP3 are two top ten players and they are still underdogs against the Warriors. Is that a first?

nastynice
08-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Lolololol, I'm very glad I'm not annoyed by GS.

Annoyed or not, they arguably seemed to played a role in creating POSSIBLE (based on talent, gotta see how it plays out) would be chip favorites or at least chip contenders most years, in Houston and okc.

Also lebron is gonna have a chance to make a splash here next summer, be it going somewhere, or bringing someone to Cleveland.

Plus the Spurs are the Spurs. A little Patriot-y type thing going on.

Let's just call lebron a team, since that's basically what he is, that's 5 teams, yes these gold state warriors are favorites, but things could change, injury, one of the current 2nd tier teams could make another splash.

Either way, assuming (hoping) all health problems are minimal, watching these 5 teams in the playoffs you gonna be seeing some high quality **** that people from other eras woulda loved to have seen. Stop complaining bout ur first world problems

nastynice
08-11-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm giving them more of a shot. This Warriors team is historic but CP3+Harden surrounded by shooters is nothing to scoff at. Still, this speaks volumes to how great the Warriors/stacked they are. Harden+CP3 are two top ten players and they are still underdogs against the Warriors. Is that a first?

I'm sure 80's Boston LA saw the same in each other. Blazers/jazz/sonics vs them bulls

Coulda seen that vs the heat if things panned out the way they, and I, thought they would. But that broke down fast.

Can never get too comfy..

mightybosstone
08-11-2017, 05:42 PM

I agree with this. Houston isn't on Golden State's level right now. Nobody is.

This I don't remotely agree with. Harden was a better basketball player last season than Curry—period. And even if Durant is better than him, there's not a huge difference between the two. Harden is absolutely in that conversation of the five best players in the league, and there's zero case you could make to me that he doesn't belong in the same discussion as those guys.

As far as the playoffs go, I don't know. Paul has never really made a truly deep playoff run, but he's put up some pretty eye-popping numbers in the postseason, and I can recall some pretty spectacular moments from him in his career. Harden has been more of a mixed bag, but I can recall just as many huge games from Harden in the postseason than I can bad ones. Everyone likes to bring up the elimination games against Golden State and San Antonio, and that Game 6 against the Clippers. But no one wants to bring up the countless exceptional performances he's had in the playoffs in his career.

There are a lot of guys who have underperformed in the playoffs—Curry being one of them. The only reason we don't talk about Curry's underwhelming postseason production is that he's played on stacked teams that have overcome his subpar performance.

FlashBolt
08-11-2017, 05:50 PM
We're getting to that point where it's going to be impossible evaluating an individual player due to the amount of stacked teams we're heading towards. Harden had a top five NBA season last season while Curry had a very underwhelming season. I'd take Curry, though. Production =/= better player and won't these days. No qualms about Harden being on anyone's top five list but I think Curry/AD/KD/LeBron/Kawhi are just on another level compared to everyone else.

Tier 1: Curry/AD/KD/LeBron/Kawhi
Tier 2: Harden/Westbrook/CP3/Giannis/Butler/PG
Tier 3: Wall/Green/Lillard/Kyrie/Klay
Tier 4: Gasol/Blake/Hayward/Thomas
Tier 5: Howard/Bradley Beal/Horford
That's how I'd see it.

WaDe03
08-11-2017, 06:00 PM
We're getting to that point where it's going to be impossible evaluating an individual player due to the amount of stacked teams we're heading towards. Harden had a top five NBA season last season while Curry had a very underwhelming season. I'd take Curry, though. Production =/= better player and won't these days. No qualms about Harden being on anyone's top five list but I think Curry/AD/KD/LeBron/Kawhi are just on another level compared to everyone else.

Tier 1: Curry/AD/KD/LeBron/Kawhi/Wade
Tier 2: Harden/Westbrook/CP3/Giannis/Butler/PG
Tier 3: Wall/Green/Lillard/Kyrie/Klay
Tier 4: Gasol/Blake/Hayward/Thomas
Tier 5: Howard/Bradley Beal/Horford
That's how I'd see it.

I agree!

Leftcoast_yg
08-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Kobe kobe kobe kobe kobe

B'sCeltsPatsSox
08-13-2017, 10:42 PM

Maybe we can give the Celtics a two-year heads up so McHale and DJ can hit the gym and work on their three-point shot haha.

JordansBulls
08-14-2017, 12:54 AM
John Stockton (1995)
Reggie Miller (1996)
Scottie Pippen (1995)
Larry Bird (1985)
Hakeem Olajuwon (1993)
6th- Peja Stojakovic (2008)

Defenders who can switch on picks, try going small ball on that lineup. 3 (4 with Stockton I guess) shooters to keep up with a bomb war if necessary as well, and this team would destroy GS on the glass.

Isn't it sad, that you actually have to put in effort, to build a team with 2 MVP's, and 4 all stars, to beat GS? In reality, the rules set in place by the OP, builds a team GS ACTUALLY HAS!

It's not building a team to beat GS, it is building a team that would beat them basically 4 in a row.

Hawkeye15
08-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Maybe we can give the Celtics a two-year heads up so McHale and DJ can hit the gym and work on their three-point shot haha.

in all fairness, in today's NBA, the Celtics would never have built their roster that way, and Bird would have been the best stretch 4 the game has ever seen...and if you put GS back into 1986, things are a little different.

Simply put, in today's game, GS can't be beat by any team in history, we literally have to assemble one from all timers to challenge them.

Hawkeye15
08-14-2017, 08:45 AM
It's not building a team to beat GS, it is building a team that would beat them basically 4 in a row.

right. And I don't think that is possible. But that was my best attempt..

JasonJohnHorn
08-15-2017, 11:55 PM
You need a disgustingly efficient scoring team that is good at defense. Oldschool PG might be a problem because guys like Stockton were a little on the short side. Want to put him in there, but...

PG: Jason Kidd (later years; not All-Star)
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Hakeem

Great passing all around. Great defense at nearly every position, or at leas smart D. 3 great 3pt shooter (Kidd was great later in his career) and one of the most efficient and unguardable bigs who could pass out of a double team and hit the 3-ballers.

I don't know any team could sweep those Warriors... but this team would have a shot.

YAALREADYKNO
08-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Jason Kidd (01-02) Allstar
Kawhi Leonard (16-17) Allstar
Lebron James(12-13) MVP
Ron Artest (05-06)
Shaquille O'Neal (00-01) MVP

Peja Stojakovic (04-05)