PDA

View Full Version : So why did Gilbert fire Griffin?

JasonJohnHorn
08-06-2017, 10:31 AM
I'm still waiting for an explanation on this. It seems like this firing was a colossal mistake, and its timing was so bizarre. There seemed to be allusions to some issues, but nothing seems clear.

Has there been any confirmed details as to what exactly happened here?

Vee-Rex
08-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Well, I've heard several reasons were floated out there, but from everything I've heard I believe the most likely reason is:

Griffin wanted more control and money, whereas Gilbert didn't want that.

It's pretty conclusive that Griffin wanted full authority over basketball operations (essentially a president-type role) instead of just being a GM. He actually withdrew from consideration in the Knicks front office for this reason. He wanted to hire his own staff and to have full autonomy.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19947227/former-cleveland-cavaliers-gm-david-griffin-pulls-name-knicks-front-office-search

Since he did a rather impressive job as GM for the Cavs, which originally started as interim GM after Chris Grant's firing, I think Griffin felt he deserved more power (and money of course). Gilbert is one of the most stubborn owners in sports, and so they decided to part ways.

tredigs
08-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Mob bosses don't like sharing money or power. Ipso facto - Griffin exit stage left.

Scoots
08-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Did Gilbert fire Griffin or just not renew him?

Everybody already knew it was coming ... Gilbert has never renewed a GM.

Jerry West is 80 years old and working part time for supposedly $5M a year and Griffin supposedly couldn't get $2M to work 70 hours a week for Gilbert.

krazylegz
08-06-2017, 01:54 PM
gilbert didnt fire david griffin....he just didnt renew/extend his contract.....HUGE DIFFERENCE
iam guessing he didnt extend the contract (which dan gilbert is yet to do with any GM btw) because he is a power hungry idiot who doesnt like to be questioned or challenged

Scoots
08-06-2017, 02:21 PM
gilbert didnt fire david griffin....he just didnt renew/extend his contract.....HUGE DIFFERENCE
iam guessing he didnt extend the contract (which dan gilbert is yet to do with any GM btw) because he is a power hungry idiot who doesnt like to be questioned or challenged

The reason I made it a question is that I think Griffin was sent away before his contract ended.

5ass
08-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Even worse that the cavs didnt let griffin interview for the Magic GM position. ******* move by the cavs, even though as a magic fan i didnt want him to get the job.

ewing
08-06-2017, 04:06 PM
His job was to keep LeBron happy. LeBron starting considering moving, Gilbert blamed Griffen, and overreacted and didn't renew Griffen

Kyben36
08-06-2017, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure why. he may be stuborn but he was getting **** done. sounded like he had a deal for Jimmy lined up and was able to keep kyries displeasure under taps. I think if he had remained its likely you see a totally different Cavs team. and probably for the better.

the only issues I had is some of the awful contracts he has handed out to guys like Thompson shunpert and Smith. though. I slightly blame LeBron because I know he rallied for tomoson to get more money. and I'm pretty sure he lobbied to keep shump and Smith. meaning they had more leverage.

LOb0
08-06-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure why. he may be stuborn but he was getting **** done. sounded like he had a deal for Jimmy lined up and was able to keep kyries displeasure under taps. I think if he had remained its likely you see a totally different Cavs team. and probably for the better.

the only issues I had is some of the awful contracts he has handed out to guys like Thompson shunpert and Smith. though. I slightly blame LeBron because I know he rallied for tomoson to get more money. and I'm pretty sure he lobbied to keep shump and Smith. meaning they had more leverage.

Yeah what move did Griffin really make that wasn't completely obvious or where LeBron wasn't holding a gun to his head?

They really didn't need Griffin.

FlashBolt
08-06-2017, 05:48 PM
It doesn't matter what moves Griffin made. It's that he actually tried making moves that would help the team. Not many GM's actually do their jobs since they are on losing teams and could care less. Griffin was instrumental in landing some key pieces. Korver was a good move even though he wasn't as effective as he could have been. Getting Shump/J.R./RJ/Channing believe it or not, were great pickups.

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2017, 06:42 PM
It doesn't matter what moves Griffin made. It's that he actually tried making moves that would help the team. Not many GM's actually do their jobs since they are on losing teams and could care less. Griffin was instrumental in landing some key pieces. Korver was a good move even though he wasn't as effective as he could have been. Getting Shump/J.R./RJ/Channing believe it or not, were great pickups.

Idk about that, yes they won a chip but he resigned Shumpert to an atrocious contract, max Thompson, traded away draft picks for pennies, traded 2 1st for Mozzy etc. let's not overrate the guy, Gilbert is an awful owner we know but it's not like Griffen is a great GM either

Scoots
08-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Shumpert, JR Smith, and Mozgov were major players in getting them to the finals in LeBron's first year. Those were good moves ... they just were not perfect.

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Shumpert, JR Smith, and Mozgov were major players in getting them to the finals in LeBron's first year. Those were good moves ... they just were not perfect.

No LeBron were major players into getting them to the finals. JR, Shump were for the most part trash. Mozzy had his moments here and there. The trade is not the issue, the fact he resigned Shumpert to a horrible contract, maxed Thompson and traded 2 1st for Mozzy. And at the time Mozzy wasn't worth one 1st

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Gotta put it on Griffen too.

Scoots
08-06-2017, 07:03 PM
No LeBron were major players into getting them to the finals. JR, Shump were for the most part trash. Mozzy had his moments here and there. The trade is not the issue, the fact he resigned Shumpert to horrible contracts are, maxed Thompson and traded 2 1st for Mozzy. And at the Mozzy was worth 2 1st

I put those bad contracts on LeBron.

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Griffen traded 2 1st for Mozzy and a 1st for Channing Freaking Frye. Two BACK UP BIGS

FlashBolt
08-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Idk about that, yes they won a chip but he resigned Shumpert to an atrocious contract, max Thompson, traded away draft picks for pennies, traded 2 1st for Mozzy etc. let's not overrate the guy, Gilbert is an awful owner we know but it's not like Griffen is a great GM either

Blame that on LeBron. He was the one who lobbied for those contracts. David Griffin was the one with a paper and phone on his hand working out the trades to make them better.. He can't help it if LeBron is out there getting his guys paid with lucrative contracts. I mean, they won a ring so Griffin's belief was that if it worked and LeBron is happy, they should do it. Being a GM with LeBron on the team isn't easy. Bad moves and he's gone. Great moves and you win and he still might be gone. Also, one of the 1st round picks was a result of trading Waiters.. who was playing like absolute garbage for the Cavs. They got J.R. and Shump along with the 1st from OKC.. and then traded one of the 1st for Mosgov. Mosgov was instrumental for the Cavs in his first season and the NBA Finals. The way I see it, Cavs won a championship with that roster. Bad or good moves, Griffin did his best with what they had. He wasn't the perfect GM because we can't equate how much of the winning goes to LeBron's greatness but we also can't ignore that the guy genuinely did his best.. which is what a GM should do.

FlashBolt
08-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Griffen traded 2 1st for Mozzy and a 1st for Channing Freaking Frye. Two BACK UP BIGS

I can't speak for all Cavs fans but Channing was huge for the Cavs not only in terms of being a great floor spacer but a locker room guy. Chemistry is a huge thing for teams with LeBron on it.. and from what I've seen on bleacher report and watching them play, Channing was well worth it. He's a 40% shooter who can give you 10 points every night. What more do you expect?

5ass
08-06-2017, 07:49 PM

LOL WTH i didnt even realize the Cavs gave up a 1st for Frye. Thats not terrible, but im just wondering how the Magic ended up with a 2018 2nd :laugh: I guess they didnt want to pay Varajao. Honestly, i was just happy to see Frye gone for anything, I probably didnt look up the details of the trade at the time.

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Blame that on LeBron. He was the one who lobbied for those contracts. David Griffin was the one with a paper and phone on his hand working out the trades to make them better.. He can't help it if LeBron is out there getting his guys paid with lucrative contracts. I mean, they won a ring so Griffin's belief was that if it worked and LeBron is happy, they should do it. Being a GM with LeBron on the team isn't easy. Bad moves and he's gone. Great moves and you win and he still might be gone. Also, one of the 1st round picks was a result of trading Waiters.. who was playing like absolute garbage for the Cavs. They got J.R. and Shump along with the 1st from OKC.. and then traded one of the 1st for Mosgov. Mosgov was instrumental for the Cavs in his first season and the NBA Finals. The way I see it, Cavs won a championship with that roster. Bad or good moves, Griffin did his best with what they had. He wasn't the perfect GM because we can't equate how much of the winning goes to LeBron's greatness but we also can't ignore that the guy genuinely did his best.. which is what a GM should do.

Fair point but he overpaid for those players. Their first finals appearance JR and Shump contributed lil. LeBron and Delly won 2 games for the Cavs. JR had his best game in game 6 IN A LOSS

The year they won the finals, Shump was pretty much a non factor. Mozzy was PURE TRASH his second season and in the finals. JR believe or not actually contributed somewhat and Frye had his moment but nothing special but they major contributors were Irving and James and Thompson offensive rebounding. My point is he overpaid for those guys and not it's going to kill them once James leaves. Griffen is to blame along with LeBron.

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2017, 07:58 PM
I can't speak for all Cavs fans but Channing was huge for the Cavs not only in terms of being a great floor spacer but a locker room guy. Chemistry is a huge thing for teams with LeBron on it.. and from what I've seen on bleacher report and watching them play, Channing was well worth it. He's a 40% shooter who can give you 10 points every night. What more do you expect?

Frye did help the Cavs somewhat but he was trash in Orlando and wasn't worth a first. That's my point. He should of gotten those players for pennies not quarters!

GiantsSwaGG
08-06-2017, 08:00 PM
LOL WTH i didnt even realize the Cavs gave up a 1st for Frye. Thats not terrible, but im just wondering how the Magic ended up with a 2018 2nd :laugh: I guess they didnt want to pay Varajao. Honestly, i was just happy to see Frye gone for anything, I probably didnt look up the details of the trade at the time.

It was a 3 team trade, the 1st ended up with Portland

valade16
08-06-2017, 09:00 PM

I think for a large time there the Cavs' best lineup included Channing Frye starting.

FlashBolt
08-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Fair point but he overpaid for those players. Their first finals appearance JR and Shump contributed lil. LeBron and Delly won 2 games for the Cavs. JR had his best game in game 6 IN A LOSS

The year they won the finals, Shump was pretty much a non factor. Mozzy was PURE TRASH his second season and in the finals. JR believe or not actually contributed somewhat and Frye had his moment but nothing special but they major contributors were Irving and James and Thompson offensive rebounding. My point is he overpaid for those guys and not it's going to kill them once James leaves. Griffen is to blame along with LeBron.

Yes, but in game 7 right after halftime, it was J.R. Smith who made like three straight threes to keep the Cavs in the game. J.R. was huge for the Cavs in 2016. 2017, he was great the last four or so but terrible the first two. Griffin isn't to blame.. what happens if he doesn't resign J.R. and LeBron's friends? C'mon...

Frye did help the Cavs somewhat but he was trash in Orlando and wasn't worth a first. That's my point. He should of gotten those players for pennies not quarters!

Trash in Orlando because they used him incorrectly. He's only there to space the floor. Orlando was a terrible three point shooting team.

JasonJohnHorn
08-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Picks in the late 20's are worth $#!T in the NBA. Guys picked past 15 struggle just to make a roster sometimes by the end of their rookie contract in a lot of cases.

Unless you are Jerry West of Pop/Buford, a late first-round pick is a HUGE crap shoot... worse odds than rolling snake eyes.

If you can get a couple of quality assets for picks like that, it's a good deal. I mean... in the 80's... those would have been second-round picks because there were fewer teams

prodigy
08-07-2017, 12:54 PM
He was not fired common guys do some research. Gilbert let him walk. Griffin wants complete control over all basketball operations which is something Gilbert didn't wanna give up. If i was an owner i wouldn't give that up either. Gilbert bought the cavs because he loves basketball and wants to be apart of it.

BTW- Knicks also said no to Gilbert because he wanted to much control. Granted Gilbert is 10 tens better then Dolan lol. But Griffin prob won't get want he wants and will have to calm his ego down.

Scoots
08-07-2017, 01:08 PM
He was not fired common guys do some research. Gilbert let him walk. Griffin wants complete control over all basketball operations which is something Gilbert didn't wanna give up. If i was an owner i wouldn't give that up either. Gilbert bought the cavs because he loves basketball and wants to be apart of it.

BTW- Knicks also said no to Gilbert because he wanted to much control. Granted Gilbert is 10 tens better then Dolan lol. But Griffin prob won't get want he wants and will have to calm his ego down.

My question is ... if you are working on an employment contract that goes through 2 weeks from today and you get told to not come to work anymore were you fired?

Vee-Rex
08-07-2017, 02:51 PM
My question is ... if you are working on an employment contract that goes through 2 weeks from today and you get told to not come to work anymore were you fired?

Sure, but that isn't an accurate reflection of the Gilbert/Griffin situation.

The terminology used regarding Gilbert/Griffin was that they "parted ways", because they wouldn't/couldn't come to an agreement about Griffin's role and pay when his contract expired. Per Woj on June 19th,

"Sources: As David Griffin departs as Cavs -- "Just couldn't agree on future," source says - Chauncey Billups expected to emerge as candidate"

So it wasn't simply that Griffin was "told not to come to work anymore", but rather he and Gilbert saw the writing on the wall, saw that they were nowhere near like-minded when it came to Griffin's future nor would they ever see eye to eye on that, and agreed to part ways early (likely to give Griffin a chance to seek other jobs after he was refused to speak with other teams earlier).

Being fired/terminated implies that someone did something wrong, or their job performance wasn't up to par and the supervisor/boss decided to end it.

SfgiantsJD3
08-07-2017, 04:11 PM

He was paid the contract, we wasn't resigned/ extended. They decided because his job was ending they didn't want him around. He wasn't fired because they paid him his contract.

Scoots
08-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Sure, but that isn't an accurate reflection of the Gilbert/Griffin situation.

The terminology used regarding Gilbert/Griffin was that they "parted ways", because they wouldn't/couldn't come to an agreement about Griffin's role and pay when his contract expired. Per Woj on June 19th,

"Sources: As David Griffin departs as Cavs -- "Just couldn't agree on future," source says - Chauncey Billups expected to emerge as candidate"

So it wasn't simply that Griffin was "told not to come to work anymore", but rather he and Gilbert saw the writing on the wall, saw that they were nowhere near like-minded when it came to Griffin's future nor would they ever see eye to eye on that, and agreed to part ways early (likely to give Griffin a chance to seek other jobs after he was refused to speak with other teams earlier).

Being fired/terminated implies that someone did something wrong, or their job performance wasn't up to par and the supervisor/boss decided to end it.

Okay ... I have been saying all along that it was probably wrong to call it fired. If it was 6 months before the contract was up and the owner came to the same conclusion that his employee wasn't going to do the job the way he wanted (after the employee agreed that he wasn't going to do the job the way the owner wanted ... or for the compensation he wanted) and told him to no longer show up for work ... is it being fired then?

Jamiecballer
08-08-2017, 12:26 AM
Frye did help the Cavs somewhat but he was trash in Orlando and wasn't worth a first. That's my point. He should of gotten those players for pennies not quarters!Sometimes all you've got to spend are quarters. Or your pennies are a foreign currency or some **** so you don't have much choice.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk