PDA

View Full Version : Doc Relieved of Front Office Duties

HandsOnTheWheel
08-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Per Woj. Lawrence Frank will take over primary FO responsibilities including President of basketball operations and GM.

Probably a couple years too late on this one.

kobe4thewinbang
08-04-2017, 02:26 PM
I see this as a prelude to Rivers being fired if they have another bad season. Galinari busting his hand doesn't bode well, ala Blake Griffin punching out his trainer, but at least the Clippers have realized coach/president can only be pulled off by a select few.

Source - https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/08/lawrence-frank-replaces-doc-rivers-as-head-of-clippers-basketball-ops.html

Lawrence Frank is the coach from the Nets who had a nice rookie campaign, but then went 0-16 and got ousted by Jason Kidd as coach and then bought out.

Do you see Doc lasting past the All Star Break? How do you think the Clippers will do?

I think it all depends on Griffin, who just got a huuuge payday. He's gotta step up. They could make the playoffs, seeing as they only lost Reddick and got a decent haul for CP3.

goingfor28
08-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Doc should've never been given his GM role in the first place. He's an ok coach at best and an AWFUL GM.
That team had a very strong bench when they were under VDN and Doc traded them for washed up former Celtics and other trash while also giving away draft picks. Dude is ****ing clueless when it comes to building a roster.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Scoots
08-04-2017, 03:35 PM
He's not even that good a coach. Should have fired him a while back, and at the very least when CP3 asked out.

Odd for his replacement to be in as team president when there doesn't appear to be any reason to think he'd be any better at that job than Doc.

I like Frank as a coach so if he's the Clippers future then that's good ... but the future should start sooner than later.

Chronz
08-04-2017, 03:59 PM
My god........

WaDe03
08-04-2017, 04:24 PM
They should have rid him of his coaching duties. Possibly the most overrated coach ever.

Chronz
08-04-2017, 04:49 PM
He's not even that good a coach. Should have fired him a while back, and at the very least when CP3 asked out.

Odd for his replacement to be in as team president when there doesn't appear to be any reason to think he'd be any better at that job than Doc.

I like Frank as a coach so if he's the Clippers future then that's good ... but the future should start sooner than later.
I liked him as a coach but hes been around too long and was always the guy CP3 brought in so Blake may have a say on the next coach. Still the team was prepping for Doc to minimize his role up stairs all year, I just didn't think it was to this degree. Hopefully West is the defacto GM.

mrblisterdundee
08-04-2017, 05:08 PM
He was already relieved as the final decision-maker the moment Jerry West was brought on. This is just making it official.
Rivers isn't even that creative of a coach either. I hope he doesn't become a broadcaster either. He always sounds severely dehydrated.

Dade County
08-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Well said everyone

LMAO

Lakers + Giants
08-04-2017, 05:40 PM
A little too late. With CP3 gone it doesn't matter now.

Heediot
08-04-2017, 05:40 PM
time for the new gm to get rid of austin just to get rid of the nepotism cloud hovering above the team.

austin and filler for kyrie, work your magic jerry west!

GodsSon
08-04-2017, 07:07 PM
LOL

That is all.

Scoots
08-04-2017, 08:50 PM
time for the new gm to get rid of austin just to get rid of the nepotism cloud hovering above the team.

LOL, that would be awesome!

LaVar Ball
08-04-2017, 08:57 PM
They should have rid him of his coaching duties. Possibly the most overrated coach ever.

I remember him getting coach of the year for leading Orlando to a 41-41 record in the 99-00 season and not even making the playoffs in the weak east.

Thibs was the master mind defensive guru on those Celtic teams that made it to 2 finals in 2008 & 2010.

TrueFan420
08-04-2017, 09:02 PM
I remember him getting coach of the year for leading Orlando to a 41-41 record in the 99-00 season and not even making the playoffs in the weak east.

Thibs was the master mind defensive guru on those Celtic teams that made it to 2 finals in 2008 & 2010.

Both Doc and Thibs are better Assistant Head Coach/Top Assistant than Head Coach themselves in my opinion.

TrueFan420
08-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Honesty I think it would be a great idea for multiple reasons. The one you listed plus it shows he's truly in charge and it's not docs call anymore plus Austin sucks.

Chronz
08-04-2017, 11:02 PM

Thibs was the master mind defensive guru on those Celtic teams that made it to 2 finals in 2008 & 2010.You may be right. BUT........

I remember him winning COY too,much more fondly than you apparently. That he won COY before AND won a title should earn him some kind of respect. Hes beaten Pop when both had a 50/50 chance of winning, hes outcoached many of our competitors. What has done him in has been his inability to separate what hes felt over the years from the projections of where players are at in their careers. In other words, this move should make him a better coach. He was so full of himself, he thought he could do it all when his lone talent lays in motivating athletes and drawing sideline out of bounds plays. Literally, thats it. Hes done very good listening to his assistants but hes seems incapable of learning his teams strengths defensively as hes changed his system alot over the years. Dude is great offensively tho.

Cracka2HI!
08-04-2017, 11:25 PM
I'm very happy this happened. I like Doc A LOT more than most. I like Austin more than that. Honestly I think the reason I might like them is because they've been **** on so bad. They aren't nearly as bad as PSD thinks they are. However I do remember being the first one to HATE Doc as a GM. When he traded Bledsoe for FA Redick and Jared Dudley I hated his ***. Then Phoenix traded Caron Butler to The Bucks later that off-season and I lost it. In theory Doc could have traded Butler for Redick and kept Bledsoe to trade for a WAY bigger get than JJ. At that time Bledsoe needed to go for nothing less than a starting SF. You know, the thing the team always needed. It's pissing me off writing this because now I'm remembering how Doc donked off Dudley. AAAAHHHHHHHH. Anyway, Doc should have never been GM, but he's a good coach. I'm looking forward to the season. I have no idea what to expect from The Clippers. I can see 50 wins or dead last in The West and anything in between. My current projection is 38 wins. Will that be enough for Doc to keep his job?

FlashBolt
08-05-2017, 01:16 AM
I thought he was a top coach after he left Boston because he always seemed like a coach that everyone liked playing for and that's certainly a huge factor. It turns out Doc is just a great salesman. This guy is an above average coach who needs not be put into the same sentence as Pop. One ring his entire coaching career and it just so happened to be on the rebirth of a "Big Three" concept team. His GM skills are laughable. Literally five seasons and he still has no idea that his team won't win anything as constructed. They should have traded Blake long ago. He's actually a worse player. At least when he was younger, he had insane athleticism and was capable of beating other players just by that advantage. He can't even get past a turtle now.. When was the last time this guy elevated for a dunk? His athleticism is dropping like Dwight but at least Dwight played defense.

GoferKing_
08-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Took them awhile.

Scoots
08-05-2017, 11:45 AM
I thought he was a top coach after he left Boston because he always seemed like a coach that everyone liked playing for and that's certainly a huge factor. It turns out Doc is just a great salesman. This guy is an above average coach who needs not be put into the same sentence as Pop. One ring his entire coaching career and it just so happened to be on the rebirth of a "Big Three" concept team. His GM skills are laughable. Literally five seasons and he still has no idea that his team won't win anything as constructed. They should have traded Blake long ago. He's actually a worse player. At least when he was younger, he had insane athleticism and was capable of beating other players just by that advantage. He can't even get past a turtle now.. When was the last time this guy elevated for a dunk? His athleticism is dropping like Dwight but at least Dwight played defense.

Doc won when he had elite coordinators. Not so much when not.

Griffin still has elite athleticism ... it's his brain that I question. Draymond is in his head ... 2 years ago I saw him actively running away from going at Green. Griffin still has a shot at being a superstar because he's incredibly talented (athletic, rebounding, shooting, passing) ... he just has to be able to impose his will and he has got to get a lot better on D. Who knows, maybe this year he will do what Russ did last year and all of his numbers will take a big leap ... probably not, but it's possible.

Vinylman
08-05-2017, 12:33 PM
The Austin Rivers stuff in here is priceless

As for Doc... we need to pull up that thread when he was originally put in that position... there are some high quality laughs in that thread on how great he would do in the FO/HC combo position

FlashBolt
08-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Doc won when he had elite coordinators. Not so much when not.

Griffin still has elite athleticism ... it's his brain that I question. Draymond is in his head ... 2 years ago I saw him actively running away from going at Green. Griffin still has a shot at being a superstar because he's incredibly talented (athletic, rebounding, shooting, passing) ... he just has to be able to impose his will and he has got to get a lot better on D. Who knows, maybe this year he will do what Russ did last year and all of his numbers will take a big leap ... probably not, but it's possible.

His athleticism is elite but that was essentially what made his game so potent in his earlier years. It's declined to a point where though still elite, it's a far different Blake. He's relying more on skills than athleticism and it's a bit like what we're seeing from LeBron in these later years. LeBron's athleticism has declined but he's made up for it by developing other parts of his game. Blake is hitting that time where he's declined in athleticism but hasn't elevated his other parts of the game. He's a good passer but let's be honest, most of this dude's impact was based off him powering to the basket. We're not seeing that same Blake and haven't for at least two years. His injuries are also worth noting. Remember when he was a top five player? He's fallen so hard I sometimes forget he's in the league.

Scoots
08-05-2017, 02:28 PM
His athleticism is elite but that was essentially what made his game so potent in his earlier years. It's declined to a point where though still elite, it's a far different Blake. He's relying more on skills than athleticism and it's a bit like what we're seeing from LeBron in these later years. LeBron's athleticism has declined but he's made up for it by developing other parts of his game. Blake is hitting that time where he's declined in athleticism but hasn't elevated his other parts of the game. He's a good passer but let's be honest, most of this dude's impact was based off him powering to the basket. We're not seeing that same Blake and haven't for at least two years. His injuries are also worth noting. Remember when he was a top five player? He's fallen so hard I sometimes forget he's in the league.

He really fell off a cliff ... but like I said, I think it's more mental than anything else. If this year he's got it together with CP3 off the team he could be huge. We'll have to see.

JasonJohnHorn
08-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Too little; too late.