PDA

View Full Version : Article: The Darko Milicic Story

kobe4thewinbang
08-03-2017, 01:29 PM
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20211833/nba-bust-darko-milicic-finds-success-back-home-serbia

Pretty good article, IMO. Yeah, I know, it's the offseason. But hey, at least the guy saved his money and found some joy in his life (fruit farming) after seeing an escape in the NBA and not really ever finding his place there. Would post it here, but it's really long and in depth.

Crazy so many teams took a chance on him. Judging by him keeping posters of his play on his walls, he seems to associate some pleasant memories with his bust of a career. He still has the nice cars and a mansion.

TrueFan420
08-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Didn't read the whole thing but def will. Sounds like he's doing well. Good for him.

tp13baby
08-03-2017, 04:25 PM
He is also a mentor. Most don't know but Jokic actually after one of his first few practices wanted to go home. With him and Jokics brothers they helped Jokic get his **** straight and learned from Darkos mistakes and really helped.

I wish nothing but the best for Darko. Seems like a class act. One thing is for sure he has been absolutely crucial in making Denver a bigger basketball city. Where Denver would be without Melo or Jokic is scary.

IndyRealist
08-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Glad to hear Darko had success after basketball. The last thing most of us heard about him was the kickboxing debacle.

JasonJohnHorn
08-04-2017, 08:53 AM
I still feel like had he be drafted by somebody other than Detroit, or rather, was coached by somebody other than Larry Brown as a rookie, he would have had a far more impressive career. Not to suggest that he would have been an All-Star, but, I mean... we see JaVale McGee still playing, and that dude ended up getting one huge contract. I think Darko could have set a higher bar than that.

But as a teenager coming into the league and essentially being told he's a useless tool who gets in the way while Brown was trying to win a championship, I feel like that completely tore him down. It took a while to build himself back up after two years of that. I mean... it was a joke around Detroit that Darko was the 'human victory cigar', because Brown only brought him out when the win was secured.

I mean... the dude's FG% jumped from around .300 for two seasons under brown, to over .500. That's gotta tell you something. And that's playing on the same team with the same teammates. In 05/06, he started with Detroit, who had a new head coach, and Darko was shooting over .500. This is one of the reasons I don't have as much respect for Larry Brown as I do other coaches. He was great with guys who knew how to play, but when it came to developing talent... he just wanted fully formed players.

What if.

kobe4thewinbang
08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I still feel like had he be drafted by somebody other than Detroit, or rather, was coached by somebody other than Larry Brown as a rookie, he would have had a far more impressive career. Not to suggest that he would have been an All-Star, but, I mean... we see JaVale McGee still playing, and that dude ended up getting one huge contract. I think Darko could have set a higher bar than that.

But as a teenager coming into the league and essentially being told he's a useless tool who gets in the way while Brown was trying to win a championship, I feel like that completely tore him down. It took a while to build himself back up after two years of that. I mean... it was a joke around Detroit that Darko was the 'human victory cigar', because Brown only brought him out when the win was secured.

I mean... the dude's FG% jumped from around .300 for two seasons under brown, to over .500. That's gotta tell you something. And that's playing on the same team with the same teammates. In 05/06, he started with Detroit, who had a new head coach, and Darko was shooting over .500. This is one of the reasons I don't have as much respect for Larry Brown as I do other coaches. He was great with guys who knew how to play, but when it came to developing talent... he just wanted fully formed players.

What if.True, I mean look at Larry Brown now. Those other teams took a chance at Darko, but I guess his time with the Pistons was too much.

One Nut Kruk
08-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Kinda seems like a bit of an idiot but I'd love to hang around with him and pound a few of those beers with no hands.

ewing
08-04-2017, 10:57 PM

What if.

I didn't read the article but Darko was a talented guy that was also total head case. Blaming his career on LB seems silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk