PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the 2017/2018 NBA ROY?

Rocco007
07-28-2017, 05:51 PM
WHO WILL WIN THE 2017-18 NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR AWARD?
Odds as of July 20th 2017 at Bovada

Lonzo Ball (LAL) +250

Dennis Smith Jr. (DAL) +300

Ben Simmons (PHI) +375

Jayson Tatum (BOS) +500

Markelle Fultz (PHI) +1000

De’Aaron Fox (SAC) +1000

Malik Monk (CHA) +1600

Josh Jackson (PHX) +1600

Jonathan Isaac (ORL) +3300

Justin Jackson (SAC) +3300

Lauri Markkanen (CHI) +3300

John Collins (ATL) +3300

http://www.oddsshark.com/nba/rookie-of-the-year-odds

GREATNESS ONE
07-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Lonzo BBB Ball

Bostonjorge
07-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Odds say it's Ball

Tatum will be the offensive rookie of the year

jaydubb
07-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Thomas bryant

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

C-ross12
07-28-2017, 06:42 PM
My guess is DSJ. They're giving him the keys to the car from day one and he has a lot of talent. Him going 9 will be a future talking point for sure.

Scoots
07-28-2017, 06:50 PM
There are a lot of possible winners. It usually goes to the top scoring rookie. Lonzo has a good narrative, but I doubt he wins it.

Rivera
07-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Ben Simmons

tredigs
07-28-2017, 07:04 PM
I don't think Dennis Smith Jr is destined to be a high impact guy when it c ones to winning (sort of reminds me of the Stevie Franchise mold), but that kid is exciting to watch and is going to get buckets next season. He will be in the running for sure. But if I had to take one guy it's got to be Ben Simmons. He has an edge in knowing the ins and outs of the NBA game and a ton of NBA practice time in. Couple that with a big role, a highlight-reel game and probably being the most talented "rookie" and he is the best bet.

DanG
07-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Simmons or Ball.

Dade County
07-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Simmons or Ball.

This

Hawkeye15
07-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Whichever player scores the most

Rocco007
07-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Jason Tatum being on a playoff team will hurt his chances IMO...
Ben Simmons, Lonzo Ball and Dennis jr to me are all even money...

Whoever can elevate their team to the next level wins it...regardless of stats...
DSJ will probably lead all rookies in scoring...Lonzo will lead in assists..Simmons and Ball will battle it out for triple doubles...

tredigs
07-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Whichever player scores the most

Next year may be the exception to the rule unless D Smith jr shocks the world, specifically as voters now have higher bbiq's and the Simmons/Ball passing game/narrative in general will get a on of attention.

LaVar Ball
07-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Besides an old washed up Dirk, the Mavericks don't really have anyone. Dennis Smith JR is going to have the keys to the car, but all the defenses will load up on him easily. Harrison Barnes and Wes Matthews, meh.

The answer is mah boy!!!!

jaydubb
07-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Ben Simmons and Lonzo ball are gonna light up the stat sheet in so many ways. Simmons will have higher scoring numbers and Lonzo will have higher assists numbers. Dennis Smith will lead all rookies in scoring and may be 3rd behind Lonzo and Simmons in assists. All 3 will be fun to watch imo

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Balltime
07-28-2017, 09:47 PM
There are a lot of possible winners. It usually goes to the top scoring rookie. Lonzo has a good narrative, but I doubt he wins it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x617BADm6sw

Balltime
07-28-2017, 09:56 PM
Jason Tatum being on a playoff team will hurt his chances IMO...
Ben Simmons, Lonzo Ball and Dennis jr to me are all even money...

Whoever can elevate their team to the next level wins it...regardless of stats...
DSJ will probably lead all rookies in scoring...Lonzo will lead in assists..Simmons and Ball will battle it out for triple doubles...

This is my top 4 players in the running too.

Twolves88
07-28-2017, 10:09 PM
I have to go for DSJ. He has a decent but underwhelming core around him He is going to show a ton of strength and be in the spotlight.

5ass
07-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Dsj has a vet team and carlisle. I expect him to win this. Top scorer and ROY.

Kyben36
07-28-2017, 11:14 PM
id guess lonzo myself. LA francise will give him a huge push and his impact will look better since they have tanked the last 3 years.they could have been a better team. in fact were. but tank near the end to keep their picks.

they will likely be a fringe playoff team.

though. I think Dennis Smith could also have a huge impact on the mavs

sixer04fan
07-29-2017, 01:24 AM
Lonzo or Simmons for me. Then DSJ, Tatum, and Fultz 2nd tier.

Simmons has a huge advantage coming in with a year of the NBA experience under his belt. He didn't play a game last year, but he practiced a lot, trained with the team, traveled, and learned a lot from the coaches. That's a big maturation process he's gone through compared to the incoming rookies. He's also got the talent, skillset, and role (lead ball handler) to put up stats and have a huge impact on a team that will be on people's radar this year. However, I could definitely see him and Fultz taking ROY votes from each other. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

I think Lonzo will struggle with consistency, but the spotlight will be on him and he'll be given a huge role immediately. He'll put up big stats for sure as a regular triple double threat. There's no one in his way and he'll make others around him better offensively. He's probably the favorite IMO with like a 51/49 advantage over Simmons.

I think people are expecting too much from DSJ immediately. He could be great right away, but a great summer league doesn't equal a great NBA production. I don't think the high volume is going to be there right away. He's still got Harrison Barnes, Dirk, Seth Curry, Wes Matthews, and probably Nerlens taking away some of the spotlight. But, he could break out and take on a larger role earlier than expected. It's not like he's on an amazing team.

Tatum comes in as an NBA-ready rookie. But he's playing with Hayward, Thomas, Horford, Crowder, Smart. That's a lot of proven veterans that will have huge roles. ROYs are rookies that are given the keys right away with high volume to put up stats. Don't see that happening with Tatum.

Kyben36
07-29-2017, 04:15 AM
I think personally I see it hard to make a case for Simmons or fultz. and hear me out.

for one. I think Simmons struggles a lot finding his position. size of a PF or center at 7 foot. guard skills. and last time I checked (though I understand he has been working ) and iffy shot. I just can't see that translating to ROY

fultz I think has a reasonable season. but I think it's going to be a major learning curve. cause I see them running Simmons at PG. or point fowaard. and it may take time to begin to play more comfortably off the ball.

and more importantly that anything. both are competing with the other. who is going to get more credit for improvement. it would be a hard sell if both play well.

a few others. I think Tatum ends up lost similarly to brown. just too many 3s on that team for him to get consistent minutes and any type of impact.

Jackson I think is a project and won't ha e immediate success in offense. especially with other more offensive minded guards around him. D he will shine though.

Fox I think could be really good. but I'm unsure he will have a big enough impact to compete with my two choices of lonzo or Smith

Isaac will look lost. im not sure where the major try him. but at either toward spot he has a long way to go.

Mark I just don't see it

Frank is a major project.

Collins could be a sneaky pick. but I don't see it.

again lonzo will apear to push a major franchise in record more that he actually has an impact. and his name and LA statute could get him major push.

and personally. I. could see the mavs pushing for a playoff spot as well.

mightybosstone
07-29-2017, 08:17 AM
I'm taking one of the young playmaking guards: Ball, Smith, Fox or Fultz. They're all playing for bad teams and will pretty much have free reign to run those offenses. Simmons certainly has a shot, though. With both he and Fultz on the same team and Embiid (hopefully) healthy for a full season, I just have no idea what to expect from that Philly team. But I really look forward to watching that core develop next year.

jd25213
07-29-2017, 09:02 AM
Josh Jackson

TheDish87
08-02-2017, 08:46 AM
id guess lonzo myself. LA francise will give him a huge push and his impact will look better since they have tanked the last 3 years.they could have been a better team. in fact were. but tank near the end to keep their picks.

they will likely be a fringe playoff team.

though. I think Dennis Smith could also have a huge impact on the mavs

no LA is going to be a fringe playoff team. Probably somewhere in the bottom 5-8

Heediot
08-02-2017, 09:04 AM
monk at those odds look juicy, he was a top 2-3 pure scorer for the '18 draft.

Hawkeye15
08-02-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm taking one of the young playmaking guards: Ball, Smith, Fox or Fultz. They're all playing for bad teams and will pretty much have free reign to run those offenses. Simmons certainly has a shot, though. With both he and Fultz on the same team and Embiid (hopefully) healthy for a full season, I just have no idea what to expect from that Philly team. But I really look forward to watching that core develop next year.

yeah I would just love to see Philly stay healthy for once. See what the hell they actually have..

eDush
08-02-2017, 09:25 AM
I'm taking one of the young playmaking guards: Ball, Smith, Fox or Fultz. They're all playing for bad teams and will pretty much have free reign to run those offenses. Simmons certainly has a shot, though. With both he and Fultz on the same team and Embiid (hopefully) healthy for a full season, I just have no idea what to expect from that Philly team. But I really look forward to watching that core develop next year.I would take Fultz cause he's https://youtu.be/ASQSTjgf7zs :nod:

Mave1002
08-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Kyle killa Kuzma.

Hawkeye15
08-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Next year may be the exception to the rule unless D Smith jr shocks the world, specifically as voters now have higher bbiq's and the Simmons/Ball passing game/narrative in general will get a on of attention.

the voters for ROY are lazy dude. Smith probably gets it, because I think he will have 35 mpg in Dallas, and be the leading scorer in the rookie class. If Simmons/Ball get it, because of narrative, that kind of shoots down the IQ of the voters, doesn't it haha? "Oh look at the highlights, he must be ROY!"

Htownballa1622
08-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Whichever guy gets the most TRIPLE DOUBLEZZZ!

That's how it works right?

Jk. Ball because ESPN will be on his :censored:(whether he's good or not).

eDush
08-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Ball will win ROY for obvious reason with Fox having an outside chance :nod:

Balltime
08-02-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say it's lonzo ball

FlashBolt
08-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Embiid should be considered a rookie.. he only played 36 games!

FlashBolt
08-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Whichever guy gets the most TRIPLE DOUBLEZZZ!

That's how it works right?

Jk. Ball because ESPN will be on his :censored:(whether he's good or not).

Hey.. it's not that Harden didn't deserve MVP. Truthfully, they both did. Harden didn't lead his team to that more many wins and there's no debate in terms of who had the more help designed to complement the team. Harden would not have been able to get Andre Roberson and Sabonis to knock down their shots.. RWB in the Rockets system would have been his dream.

Htownballa1622
08-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Hey.. it's not that Harden didn't deserve MVP. Truthfully, they both did. Harden didn't lead his team to that more many wins and there's no debate in terms of who had the more help designed to complement the team. Harden would not have been able to get Andre Roberson and Sabonis to knock down their shots.. RWB in the Rockets system would have been his dream.

Yeah, Harden should've just let Clint, Beverly, and everyone know to just box their guys out while he went and hunted down every rebound.

lakers squad
08-02-2017, 06:27 PM
I would go Simmons, but fultz will take some of his votes though, so ill go with ball...watch out for tatum, he's my dark horse. Even though I hate the Celtic's, this kid will be special. Doubt he gets enough pt though!

FlashBolt
08-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Yeah, Harden should've just let Clint, Beverly, and everyone know to just box their guys out while he went and hunted down every rebound.

At least he had guys who could shoot better than Harden himself could.. Russ had to dish the ball out to a wide open Andre Roberson! Woohoo!

Scoots
08-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Embiid should be considered a rookie.. he only played 36 games!

LeBron should be considered a rookie, he's never admitted being bald before!

LA_Raiders
08-02-2017, 09:21 PM
BB Ball; he will average double double.

Romeo Naes
08-03-2017, 12:50 AM
I'm going with Ball. Now that didn't sound right lol.

KnickaBocka.44
08-03-2017, 01:01 AM

Yes, most modern players do dream of playing for a coach, in a system that only requires gettin buckets.

KnickaBocka.44
08-03-2017, 01:04 AM
LeBron should be considered a rookie, he's never admitted being bald before!

It's almost like he's a new FA signing that no one wants to come to Cleveland to play with 🤔

warfelg
08-03-2017, 11:36 AM
If the Sixers make the playoffs I think there's a chance that Simmons/Fultz might be co-ROY.

TheDish87
08-03-2017, 01:35 PM
playoffs arent supposed to matter but since the Sixers are still disliked they let it play a role in picking Brogdon over Saric.

Vinylman
08-03-2017, 02:21 PM
If the Sixers make the playoffs I think there's a chance that Simmons/Fultz might be co-ROY.

do you understand how the voting works? It is almost a statistical impossibility

FlashBolt
08-03-2017, 07:56 PM

In that weak East, it'll be disappointing if you guys don't make it.

GREATNESS ONE
08-03-2017, 08:35 PM
In that weak East, it'll be disappointing if you guys don't make it.

They probably won't and that's not throwing shade on Philly but I just can't see them staying Healthy.

Losing Embiid again this year will be a HUGE Blow.

crewfan13
08-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Looking at the odds, fultz would be a good bet in my mind. I've never been as sold on ball as others have been and I need to see him actually perform against real NBA players before I buy the hype. (I don't see him being enough of a threat as a pull-up shooter or dribble penetrator to really make his great passing transcendent like some seem to think.) They all need to prove something, but fultz was the first pick for a reason and he's being given some relatively weak odds based upon a few summer league games that aren't really predictive of future success.

Gibby23
08-03-2017, 11:12 PM
That Ball boy

TheDish87
08-04-2017, 08:37 AM
They probably won't and that's not throwing shade on Philly but I just can't see them staying Healthy.

Losing Embiid again this year will be a HUGE Blow.

but everyone is currently healthy. Even if Embiid missed half the season we still have enough talent to make the playoffs. We have a pretty deep team this year.

Vinylman
08-04-2017, 09:33 AM
full odds

TheDish87
08-04-2017, 09:44 AM
full odds

Fultz a +1k is crazy and so worth it, might jump on that if i can get it on my book. Even Simmons at +375 seems too good to pass up. Would throw one out there for Fox too just in case he starts most of the year.

Vinylman
08-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Fultz a +1k is crazy and so worth it, might jump on that if i can get it on my book. Even Simmons at +375 seems too good to pass up. Would throw one out there for Fox too just in case he starts most of the year.

The longshot bet I was thinking about was Collins just because the ATL is going to suck so hard that he could put up some ridiculous numbers

Storch
08-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Im going to go with the dark horse and say josh jackson. Perhaps his defense will add more wins to the suns

TheDish87
08-04-2017, 10:59 AM
The longshot bet I was thinking about was Collins just because the ATL is going to suck so hard that he could put up some ridiculous numbers

true. i didnt even look that far down lol. But him starting with Schoeder and Illy out there who can stretch the floor good enough should help him get his. Ill be in Vegas in the early weeks of the season so ill have to take a look at everything then too.

TheDish87
08-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Im going to go with the dark horse and say josh jackson. Perhaps his defense will add more wins to the suns

hes gonna need the offensive numbers to compete for ROY and hes prob 2 years away from being a consistent threat scoring wise. He will make an impact though.

ciaban
08-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Simmons or Ball.
Simmons getting in game time last year, and already adjusting to the league will help him a lot this season.

warfelg
08-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Simmons getting in game time last year, and already adjusting to the league will help him a lot this season.

Getting in game time?

TheDish87
08-04-2017, 01:28 PM

if Simmons had played even a minute last year he wouldnt be eligible for ROY...