PDA

View Full Version : Reasoning behind NBA westward monopolisation?

HandsOnTheWheel
07-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Is there a specific reason that all the great players in the league are thinking of moving West? I know the East has some undesirable (to put it lightly) teams such as the Nets, Knicks, Magic, etc., but it's just baffling that these players all want to go West (Rumored Lebron next year Melo this year). Seeing the other thread that called for eliminating conferences with 8 divisons including expansion teams may be mandatory at this point, or at least something along those lines. As if the Finals weren't already meaningless as it is right now, there would literally be zero point in watching with all the good players out West. Your thoughts on this?

warfelg
07-27-2017, 08:10 AM
GM's have built better teams with a star or two. We're in an age where stars no longer want to play alone. They want to team up. So the teams that already have a star or two are going to find it easier to bring in another star to their team.

JasonJohnHorn
07-27-2017, 08:58 AM
The weather? I mean.. Florida is ok.. but the humidity? Cali is much nicer.

This is really just chance though. It's east teams making bad picks in the draft and then failing to build around talent, so the talent leaves.

warfelg
07-27-2017, 09:17 AM

This is really just chance though. It's east teams making bad picks in the draft and then failing to build around talent, so the talent leaves.

I mean....not all these cities in the west that are gathering talent have great weather. You think the weather in Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Denver, Portland is all that much better than some of the eastern cities? Some of those places get brutally cold in the winter, almost more so than eastern cities.

Add in some of these western cities are very remote. No I'm not talking for making money off the court, but rather just travel time. It takes two more hours to get from Portland to the next closes NBA city (Sacramento) by car than it does to go from Boston, past NYC (Knicks and Nets), Philly (Sixers), to Washington (Wizards).

Frankly it all comes down to stars. GM's in the west have been better and more creative at obtaining, keeping, and building around stars than GM's in the east.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2017, 09:19 AM
I mean....not all these cities in the west that are gathering talent have great weather. You think the weather in Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Denver, Portland is all that much better than some of the eastern cities? Some of those places get brutally cold in the winter, almost more so than eastern cities.

Add in some of these western cities are very remote. No I'm not talking for making money off the court, but rather just travel time. It takes two more hours to get from Portland to the next closes NBA city (Sacramento) by car than it does to go from Boston, past NYC (Knicks and Nets), Philly (Sixers), to Washington (Wizards).

Frankly it all comes down to stars. GM's in the west have been better and more creative at obtaining, keeping, and building around stars than GM's in the east.

I live in the twin cities. The weather, is amazing from May-October. It SUCKS from Dec-Feb haha

ewing
07-27-2017, 09:21 AM
everyone wants to be Kobe

warfelg
07-27-2017, 09:27 AM
I live in the twin cities. The weather, is amazing from May-October. It SUCKS from Dec-Feb haha

I mean....that's true of the entirety of the NE part of the country. Heck, September-November, sometimes even December is amazing. December-March is brutal, less with cold, more with snow.

Aside from LA the weather thing really gets overblown IMO.

Scoots
07-27-2017, 09:27 AM
GM's have built better teams with a star or two. We're in an age where stars no longer want to play alone. They want to team up. So the teams that already have a star or two are going to find it easier to bring in another star to their team.

Players have always wanted to play with other stars. Barkley was doing it 25 years ago ... it just so happened he went west too.

It's just that right now the better owners/GMs on average are in the West.

warfelg
07-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Players have always wanted to play with other stars. Barkley was doing it 25 years ago ... it just so happened he went west too.

Don't disagree at all. Teams/GM's in the west have always been more innovative. Look at the advanced stuff. Out of the east the Sixers and maybe the Raptors (even though on court doesn't show it) have invested as much in the analytical department, rehab, practice facilities, sportvue, ect as about half the teams in the west. GSW, Houston, OKC, Dallas, Portland, Phoenix are really ahead in all of that.

Since this is a part of what has also changed for the Sixers through "The Process" (TM) here's a look at what they did with the training facility (getting out of a college gym they were in before):
http://www.nba.com/sixers/video/teams/sixers/2016/09/23/1474667532473-comp-1-797420/

https://www.libertyballers.com/2016/9/23/12992236/sixers-new-practice-facility-opening-photos-video-ben-simmons-dario-saric-brett-brown

Hawkeye15
07-27-2017, 09:36 AM
I mean....that's true of the entirety of the NE part of the country. Heck, September-November, sometimes even December is amazing. December-March is brutal, less with cold, more with snow.

Aside from LA the weather thing really gets overblown IMO.

you guys don't get very cold weather. Not to nitpick, but get your *** to Minneapolis/St Paul in mid January...

My sister brought up a good point though (she went to school at Brown). In Providence, it will be 29 degrees, and wet. That might actually be terrible..

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Only bad part was Hakeem was on a huge decline soon as Barkley arrived.

warfelg
07-27-2017, 09:50 AM
you guys don't get very cold weather. Not to nitpick, but get your *** to Minneapolis/St Paul in mid January...

My sister brought up a good point though (she went to school at Brown). In Providence, it will be 29 degrees, and wet. That might actually be terrible..

Yea. You guys get that nice "dry" snow, which I know is strange. We get a strange wet cold snow that usually has rain before or after that leads to disgusting slush and miserable days.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Yea. You guys get that nice "dry" snow, which I know is strange. We get a strange wet cold snow that usually has rain before or after that leads to disgusting slush and miserable days.

right. I mean, when the windchill is -40, gtfo. But otherwise, 5 degrees and sunny, is better than 25 degrees and wet, imho.

This week, is 62/82, all week, medium humidity. It's perfect. And to think, in 6 months, it will be horrible outside, when I am walking into a Wolves game..

Scoots
07-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Don't disagree at all. Teams/GM's in the west have always been more innovative. Look at the advanced stuff. Out of the east the Sixers and maybe the Raptors (even though on court doesn't show it) have invested as much in the analytical department, rehab, practice facilities, sportvue, ect as about half the teams in the west. GSW, Houston, OKC, Dallas, Portland, Phoenix are really ahead in all of that.

Since this is a part of what has also changed for the Sixers through "The Process" (TM) here's a look at what they did with the training facility (getting out of a college gym they were in before):
http://www.nba.com/sixers/video/teams/sixers/2016/09/23/1474667532473-comp-1-797420/

https://www.libertyballers.com/2016/9/23/12992236/sixers-new-practice-facility-opening-photos-video-ben-simmons-dario-saric-brett-brown

The Pelicans are still where the Sixers were ... last I heard they were still using their football training staff for the NBA team. It used to be that the worst owner in the NBA was in LA, but now it may be in NO.

The really sad part of it is that the East has, on average, the most passionate and knowledgeable fans. They have been horribly screwed by bad owners for a long time, and after a brief time out of the bad owner category Gilbert is working his way back in.

mike_noodles
07-27-2017, 12:48 PM
I think weather is part of it. Winning can cure that, but if all things are equal, most people take the warmer weather.

Scoots
07-27-2017, 11:13 PM
I think weather is part of it. Winning can cure that, but if all things are equal, most people take the warmer weather.

"if all things are equal" is a LONG way to go since all things are never equal.

IndyRealist
07-28-2017, 04:19 PM
No one in the East has built a team to take down Cleveland aside from Boston, and they're out of money. When/if the Cavs break up, players will move East again.

eDush
07-29-2017, 10:42 AM

This is really just chance though. It's east teams making bad picks in the draft and then failing to build around talent, so the talent leaves.Florida >>>>>> Utah all day long. Just ask Trey :nod:

Heediot
07-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Like others said, well run teams will draw players in. It's not about geography.

eDush
07-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Like others said, well run teams will draw players in. It's not about geography.Then you never been to South Beach before. It's why Hayward was considering the Heat. Anyplace over Utah unless you call Burke a liar :(

eDush
07-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Like others said, well run teams will draw players in. It's not about geography.:bs: Then why does Kyrie wants to play for the Knicks so badly unless you think it's well run :facepalm:

Well run teams falls behind geography all day long if pay is equal. Anyone who says otherwise is bs'ing, trust me on this :nod:

AllBall
07-30-2017, 12:31 AM
Weather has nothing to do with it. Sacramento wasn't attracting no one and neither was the Lakers (had to give a ridiculous contact to Mozgov and Deng) or the Clippers for decades.

It has to do with being a well run franchise.

I believe it can also be that players enjoy being in a more competitive conference, they may enjoy it more and don't find playing in the kiddie pool night in and night out attractive.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Buddy Buddy.

eDush
07-30-2017, 04:27 AM
Weather has nothing to do with it. Sacramento wasn't attracting no one and neither was the Lakers (had to give a ridiculous contact to Mozgov and Deng) or the Clippers for decades.

It has to do with being a well run franchise.

I believe it can also be that players enjoy being in a more competitive conference, they may enjoy it more and don't find playing in the kiddie pool night in and night out attractive.Then explain why Kyrie is urging the Cavs to trade him to the Knicks unless you think they are a well run franchise :laugh:

Kyben36
07-30-2017, 05:14 AM
for a long time. the West has had better GMs then the East. and they seem to be capitalizing on dumb GMs playing the I. give up and let's try again mentality.

the fact is. probably 80 percent of the time a star is traded. it will be out of conference. to either the East or West. it just seems most of the East has given up though chassing the Cavs (who seems to be imploading) or the celtics. the hawks realized overpaying a PF or center is not worth it when they don't have enough anyway. George and pavers demanded out. Jimmy was traded for a rebuild. and now Kyrie is unhappy. Knicks want melo out. it just seems that a lot of East teams are trasding or letting stars go. and a lot of East teams are capitalizing. I don't think it's anything other than that. West gms capitalizing on stupid East GMs. fact is n today's nba. you need two to 3 real studs. and if you have one. it might be time to stop treading water and go for broke. a la Lakers and Sixers.

warfelg
07-30-2017, 08:59 AM
Then explain why Kyrie is urging the Cavs to trade him to the Knicks unless you think they are a well run franchise :laugh:

Because Kyrie is from NJ and wants to play in front of friends.

warfelg
07-30-2017, 09:01 AM
No one in the East has built a team to take down Cleveland aside from Boston, and they're out of money. When/if the Cavs break up, players will move East again.

Agreed. GM's in the east want to just bow. In the west these GM's want to build teams knowing that one injury, one series, one game can randomly happen in their favor and they could beat the Warriors.

THE MTL
07-30-2017, 12:05 PM
I just think the GMs in the West (particularly in the smaller markets) have done much better job managing their teams. From drafting, retaining stars, payroll and because of that they are in position where they are attractive for free agents.

FreedomofSpeech
07-30-2017, 01:25 PM
It's been like this for about 20 years now. Lets list some to the great players that have gone West that were drafted in the East or were playing in the East.

Webber
Shaq
A. Hardaway
Butler

Can anyone add to it. I know there are more. Overall I think mostly because The West Drafts way better and has better franchise management.

Saddletramp
07-30-2017, 03:05 PM
:bs: Then why does Kyrie wants to play for the Knicks so badly unless you think it's well run :facepalm:

Well run teams falls behind geography all day long if pay is equal. Anyone who says otherwise is bs'ing, trust me on this :nod:

Did the weather suddenly change in the Bay Area over the past half decade or was it ownership?

And btw, I don't think I'd "trust" you on just about anything.

warfelg
07-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Did the weather suddenly change in the Bay Area over the past half decade or was it ownership?

And btw, I don't think I'd "trust" you on just about anything.

Did the weather in LA change only on the lakers and not the Clippers. Come on, that's the easier one. :) :hi5: :nod: :facepalm: :burn: :IveRunOutOfEmojisOffTheTopOfMyHead:

Scoots
07-30-2017, 03:22 PM
It's been like this for about 20 years now. Lets list some to the great players that have gone West that were drafted in the East or were playing in the East.

Webber
Shaq
A. Hardaway
Butler

Can anyone add to it. I know there are more. Overall I think mostly because The West Drafts way better and has better franchise management.

Well ... Webber was drafted east and traded west for A. Hardaway on draft night. I don't think you can claim both of them.

Wilt
Kareem
It's a REALLY long list, but history has plenty of great teams going the other way too.