PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Blazers trade Crabbe to Brooklyn

mrblisterdundee
07-25-2017, 04:17 PM
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, the Portland Trailblazers are trading shooting guard Allen Crabbe to the Brooklyn Nets:

Brooklyn signed Crabbe to a four-year, $75 million offer sheet a year ago. Portland matched the sheet and, under league rules, needed to wait one full year to include Crabbe into a deal with the Nets.
The Nets will send forward Andrew Nicholson to the Blazers, league sources said. Portland will likely waive the remainder of the three years, $20 million on Nicholson's contract, and use the stretch provision to ease the luxury tax hit on the Blazers' cap, league sources said.
- Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20155116/the-portland-trail-blazers-trading-guard-allen-crabbe-brooklyn-nets-sources-said)

M.L.G.A.
07-25-2017, 04:32 PM
did not contracts not have to match because nets have cap room?

Dade County
07-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Go Nets! They trying though.

It would be cool if they could get the 8th seed this upcoming season. Boston better try to trade that pick asap lol

Chronz
07-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Lol. Olshey losing his touch

hugepatsfan
07-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Go Nets! They trying though.

It would be cool if they could get the 8th seed this upcoming season. Boston better try to trade that pick asap lol

Anything can happen but I still feel pretty good about that pick. They've added Russell, Crabbe and Carroll to their team. 3 guys who I think can help. They also get a half year of Lin that he lost to injury last year (although to some degree him and Russell I think kind of create some overlap). They also lost their best player in Lopez which negates some of the improvement.

They were worst in the league by 4 games so they have some wiggle room to play with. The teams that were (slightly) ahead of them I think have improved as well.

PHX has a lot of youth that I'd expect some improvement from and a potential ROY, IMO. But I don't feel great about BRK being worse than them barring a trade (Kyrie to PHX).

LAL added Ball and Pope to go with their youth so I feel confident they'll outpace BRK.

PHI I think for sure will improve and be way better than BRK.

ORL I can see being worse. I don't feel great about this one.

MIN obviously has made improvements.

SAC added a lot of veteran talent and on paper has improved more (and even if they improved less they won 12 games more than BRK anyway last year so there's more wiggle room).

Knicks are still trash so yeah that's another worry.

Dallas, NO were the next lowest on the standings and I feel they're still better. CHI figures to take a huge step back and could be trash. IND lost PG but I don't see that big a drop because they did get some win now talent. DET and CHA have made some marginal upgrades and I still feel great are better than BRK.

Obviously nothing is given and stranger things have happened than BRK being decent, particularly in a weak East. But I still feel pretty confident they're one of the 5 absolute worst teams int he NBA (CHI, PHX, ORL, NYK being the other 4). So that's a pick I value pretty highly.

NYKnickFanatic
07-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Making room for Melo.

TheMightyHumph
07-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Marks should have squeezed two 2nd round picks out of the Blazers in this deal. Blazers save over $40 Mil with this trade.

HeartOfStarks
07-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Anything can happen but I still feel pretty good about that pick. They've added Russell, Crabbe and Carroll to their team. 3 guys who I think can help. They also get a half year of Lin that he lost to injury last year (although to some degree him and Russell I think kind of create some overlap). They also lost their best player in Lopez which negates some of the improvement.

They were worst in the league by 4 games so they have some wiggle room to play with. The teams that were (slightly) ahead of them I think have improved as well.

PHX has a lot of youth that I'd expect some improvement from and a potential ROY, IMO. But I don't feel great about BRK being worse than them barring a trade (Kyrie to PHX).

LAL added Ball and Pope to go with their youth so I feel confident they'll outpace BRK.

PHI I think for sure will improve and be way better than BRK.

ORL I can see being worse. I don't feel great about this one.

MIN obviously has made improvements.

SAC added a lot of veteran talent and on paper has improved more (and even if they improved less they won 12 games more than BRK anyway last year so there's more wiggle room).

Knicks are still trash so yeah that's another worry.

Dallas, NO were the next lowest on the standings and I feel they're still better. CHI figures to take a huge step back and could be trash. IND lost PG but I don't see that big a drop because they did get some win now talent. DET and CHA have made some marginal upgrades and I still feel great are better than BRK.

Obviously nothing is given and stranger things have happened than BRK being decent, particularly in a weak East. But I still feel pretty confident they're one of the 5 absolute worst teams int he NBA (CHI, PHX, ORL, NYK being the other 4). So that's a pick I value pretty highly.

Not a worry for us, the trashier the better - we gotta win the lottery at some point!

MJNetsIsles
07-25-2017, 08:27 PM
1 year later, the Nets get their guy!

Scoots
07-25-2017, 08:48 PM
A decent player can't just be a salary dump ... they've got to be doing it as a precursor to another move.

TrueFan420
07-25-2017, 08:58 PM
A decent player can't just be a salary dump ... they've got to be doing it as a precursor to another move.

Eh I think their just trying to get younger and he's a piece they wanted last year. They like his upside. I'm sure their gonna look to continue to get younger but he's a player they want to be part of the core going forward.

NYKnickFanatic
07-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Not a worry for us, the trashier the better - we gotta win the lottery at some point!

He means a worry for Boston, since they hold the Nets pick.

NYKnickFanatic
07-25-2017, 09:05 PM

Meloooooo

FlashBolt
07-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Melo+Lillard+C.J.+Nurkic.

I'm not saying that's going to beat the Warriors but if Nurkic's healthy, it will be a high scoring series.. that's for sure.

HeartOfStarks
07-25-2017, 09:57 PM
He means a worry for Boston, since they hold the Nets pick.

Yes I know

5ass
07-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Theyre going ti waive nicholsons 20 mill contract?

Kyben36
07-25-2017, 10:21 PM
hopefully they can be solid this year. if it means the Celtics get a worse pick.

Scoots
07-25-2017, 10:54 PM
Eh I think their just trying to get younger and he's a piece they wanted last year. They like his upside. I'm sure their gonna look to continue to get younger but he's a player they want to be part of the core going forward.

I was talking from the perspective of the Blazers ... I have to assume you are coming from the Nets side?

TrueFan420
07-25-2017, 11:54 PM
I was talking from the perspective of the Blazers ... I have to assume you are coming from the Nets side?

Yes I was thinking of the Nets.... from the blazers perceptive you're right... the question is, is the move this summer or next. Idk what their cap situation is but I'd assume they have more shedding to do if it's for next year. Personally I'd move on from Dame and CJ. They should see what CJ can fetch.

mightybosstone
07-25-2017, 11:55 PM
They're not making room for Melo. They're making room for Ryno. Like the deal for both sides, though.

TrueFan420
07-26-2017, 12:20 AM
They're not making room for Melo. They're makimg room for Ryno. Like the deal for both sides, though.
I could see that but I could also see a few other options they may want to purse.

LA_Raiders
07-26-2017, 12:23 AM
Melo to the Jailblaizers.

Gibby23
07-26-2017, 12:25 AM
They're not making room for Melo. They're makimg room for Ryno. Like the deal for both sides, though.

Why do you try and pass stuff off as fact regarding Melo just because you want him. Lillard and CJ have been talking to Melo, so there is some interest there.

You act like Portland is just going deeper in tax for Anderson and a bad 1st round pick. Lol

mightybosstone
07-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Why do you try and pass stuff off as fact regarding Melo just because you want him. Lillard and CJ have been talking to Melo, so there is some interest there.

You act like Portland is just going deeper in tax for Anderson and a bad 1st round pick. Lol
Why in the hell would he go to Portland? They were essentially a .500 team last season and there were few veterans on that team who Melo has any prior esperience playing with. It makes zero sense, and literally no sources out there are pointing to that being his likely destination.

Cleveland or Houston make sense. Portland does not.

Jetsguy
07-26-2017, 08:56 AM

I agree, even if he is ultimately correct it is obnoxious reading his posts in every single thread that is semi-related to Melo dismiss any other possibility as having zero chance of happening. If the Blazers wanted Anderson and the Knicks liked what they were getting back this would have been done a month ago. Clearly there are other things in play here.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Well curious how many games the Nets win this year. Celtics probably wont have top 5 lottery pick this time around. Also the east falling apart super star wise. All them guys headed west as in Butler,PG13,Millsap and got guys like Melo and Irving heading out in trades probably before the season starts.

GiantsSwaGG
07-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Call me crazy, the Nets might be fighting for a playoff spot this season

mightybosstone
07-26-2017, 09:20 AM
I agree, even if he is ultimately correct it is obnoxious reading his posts in every single thread that is semi-related to Melo dismiss any other possibility as having zero chance of happening. If the Blazers wanted Anderson and the Knicks liked what they were getting back this would have been done a month ago. Clearly there are other things in play here.

:violin: If you don't like it, add me to your ignore list.

And I could very well be wrong. I'm no insider, and I don't pretend to have knowledge about what's really happening around the league. But I've paid pretty damn close attention to this since the conversation started 3-4 weeks ago, and literally every source (reputable or not) claims Melo is going to Houston. Maybe Portland is or is not going to be the third team involved, but any source I've followed (again.... reputable or not) has stated that they are.

As to why the deal hasn't gotten done yet, I honestly have no clue. If I had to guess, I think Kyrie's request to get traded and Portland's push to get Melo for themselves both put a wrench into things. I don't think New York or Portland are especially super stoked about the outcome of this possible deal. But I do think this move to get rid of Crabbe's contract was a cap saving move for someone, and I think that someone could very well be Ryan Anderson.

If it doesn't end up being Anderson, and I'm wrong, I will be happy to eat crow. But I definitely don't think they're saving cap for Melo. Because we have had zero indication that Melo has any interest of going there outside of a couple of cryptic interviews from Lillard and McCollum.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Well Bulls,Pacers,Hawks may bow out of the playoff hunt right away. Bulls of them 3 maybe squeak in. Then you got Cavs,Celtics,Raptors and Wizards,Bucks and Heat for sure. Then injuries could knock a team down fast as well.

mightybosstone
07-26-2017, 09:29 AM

It's kind of a weird mix of young guys and veterans, but I could see a team winning 36-38 games and sneaking into the 8 seed in the East this year, so it's not out of the question. I think it depends on Russell. If he takes a step forward, they could be a pretty competitive team this season.

GiantsSwaGG
07-26-2017, 09:30 AM
:violin: If you don't like it, add me to your ignore list.

And I could very well be wrong. I'm no insider, and I don't pretend to have knowledge about what's really happening around the league. But I've paid pretty damn close attention to this since the conversation started 3-4 weeks ago, and literally every source (reputable or not) claims Melo is going to Houston. Maybe Portland is or is not going to be the third team involved, but any source I've followed (again.... reputable or not) has stated that they are.

As to why the deal hasn't gotten done yet, I honestly have no clue. If I had to guess, I think Kyrie's request to get traded and Portland's push to get Melo for themselves both put a wrench into things. I don't think New York or Portland are especially super stoked about the outcome of this possible deal. But I do think this move to get rid of Crabbe's contract was a cap saving move for someone, and I think that someone could very well be Ryan Anderson.

If it doesn't end up being Anderson, and I'm wrong, I will be happy to eat crow. But I definitely don't think they're saving cap for Melo. Because we have had zero indication that Melo has any interest of going there outside of a couple of cryptic interviews from Lillard and McCollum.

Melo might still be traded to the Rockets but if it's not coming from Woj or Shams, don't take every report serious.

Burt Steele (who's friend with Morey) said Melo would be traded 5:45 pm yesterday. Now he's getting destroyed. Don't be surprised if this goes thru the regular season.

GiantsSwaGG
07-26-2017, 09:36 AM
Well Bulls,Pacers,Hawks may bow out of the playoff hunt right away. Bulls of them 3 maybe squeak in. Then you got Cavs,Celtics,Raptors and Wizards,Bucks and Heat for sure. Then injuries could knock a team down fast as well.

It's kind of a weird mix of young guys and veterans, but I could see a team winning 36-38 games and sneaking into the 8 seed in the East this year, so it's not out of the question. I think it depends on Russell. If he takes a step forward, they could be a pretty competitive team this season.

Cavs
Bos
Tor
Wash
Bucks
Cha

Are pretty much locks, the last 2 spots are up for grabs and the Nets have a legitimate shot at one of those spots.

Lin
Russell
Crabbe
Carroll
Allen

That's team might be sneaky good

BoSox47
07-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Well curious how many games the Nets win this year. Celtics probably wont have top 5 lottery pick this time around. Also the east falling apart super star wise. All them guys headed west as in Butler,PG13,Millsap and got guys like Melo and Irving heading out in trades probably before the season starts.

The Nets were the worst team in the league by 4 games! They added Dangelo Russell, Crabbe, and Mozgov and while losing their best player in Brook Lopez. There is an improvement for the Nets but not a big one and most likely not enough to jump 6 teams in the standings.

The 6th worst team last season had 11 more wins than the Nets. Thats a pretty big jump to make for one season, especially considering they just traded away their best player in brook lopez. That draft pick should be decently high in the lottery.

valade16
07-26-2017, 09:43 AM
The Blazers have already said they are not getting involved in a Melo trade unless they get Melo, so I don't believe they dumped Crabbe to get Ryno.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-26-2017, 09:50 AM
The Nets were the worst team in the league by 4 games! They added Dangelo Russell, Crabbe, and Mozgov and while losing their best player in Brook Lopez. There is an improvement for the Nets but not a big one and most likely not enough to jump 6 teams in the standings.

The 6th worst team last season had 11 more wins than the Nets. Thats a pretty big jump to make for one season, especially considering they just traded away their best player in brook lopez. That draft pick should be decently high in the lottery.

Nets added Carrol as well. Besides didn't Lin miss a bunch of games last year cause of injuries? Each season is different. Also every game has to be played. Also factor in east got weaker. Also I liked Jarrett Allen. Wished the Bucks selected him.

hugepatsfan
07-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Nets added Carrol as well. Besides didn't Lin miss a bunch of games last year cause of injuries? Each season is different. Also every game has to be played. Also factor in east got weaker. Also I liked Jarrett Allen. Wished the Bucks selected him.

You're been saying BRK is "sneaky good" and gonna compete for the playoffs ever since BOS got their picks lol. Never say never but I think you're being a bit dramatic just like you were all last year. You're a fan of a competing team so you obviously don't want BRK to give BOS a high pick but you can't just wish it to happen.

The East got weaker but only CHI I think got weaker to where they're worse than BRK. IND is still better on paper. CLE is still obviously gonna be better on paper once Irving is gone. ATL maybe with the loss of Millsap and Howard can be worse but they were 23 games better. Realistically I don't think those guys being gone make them that worse.

As for the bottom of the league, I can see BRK having jumped NYK and ORL in the East. Maybe PHX in the West too though they added Jackson and have some other young guys you'd think will improve. But I don't see a good argument for them jumping anyone else. PHI is obviously projected to take a step forward. LAL added Lopez (BRK's best player last year), Pop, Ball and have a lot of young guys you'd expect to improve. SAC added just as many good vets as BRK and were 12 games better to start.

We'll see what happens both on the court and in the lottery but projecting BRK not to be one of the ~5 worst teams in the NBA at best is ABSURD right now. No good defense of that stance on paper.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-26-2017, 10:17 AM
You're been saying BRK is "sneaky good" and gonna compete for the playoffs ever since BOS got their picks lol. Never say never but I think you're being a bit dramatic just like you were all last year. You're a fan of a competing team so you obviously don't want BRK to give BOS a high pick but you can't just wish it to happen.

The East got weaker but only CHI I think got weaker to where they're worse than BRK. IND is still better on paper. CLE is still obviously gonna be better on paper once Irving is gone. ATL maybe with the loss of Millsap and Howard can be worse but they were 23 games better. Realistically I don't think those guys being gone make them that worse.

As for the bottom of the league, I can see BRK having jumped NYK and ORL in the East. Maybe PHX in the West too though they added Jackson and have some other young guys you'd think will improve. But I don't see a good argument for them jumping anyone else. PHI is obviously projected to take a step forward. LAL added Lopez (BRK's best player last year), Pop, Ball and have a lot of young guys you'd expect to improve. SAC added just as many good vets as BRK and were 12 games better to start.

We'll see what happens both on the court and in the lottery but projecting BRK not to be one of the ~5 worst teams in the NBA at best is ABSURD right now. No good defense of that stance on paper.

Nets were sneaky good last season raining 3's.

colinskik
07-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Don't forget that Kenny Atkinson had his young team gelling by the end of the year. Add another training camp, as well as the stability of another year of their own process, and the Nets as constructed last year would be an improved team.

Then, consider the way the Nets played when Lin was actually in the lineup, plus the added shooters around him in Russell, Crabbe and Carroll, and the Nets should be drastically improved. Yes, "drastically" as compared to their record last year. Will they be bottom 5? Hard to tell right now. But they could very possibly be better than bottom of the barrel.

IND is going to struggle without PG. Can Turner take the next step? Can Olodipo prove he's an actual legit player in this league?

ATL is also markedly worse. What's their lineup? Shroder, Bellinelli, Bazemore, Ilyasova, Dedmon? That's not all that much better than BK's squad.

Also, let's not make too big a thing out of losing "their best player" in Lopez. He was putting up empty stats for almost a decade. Can't rebound, can't play impact defense, and now he's shooting 3s, which is nice, but not when you need him to be trying to grab boards. He's a better fit in LAL imo than in BK. His loss won't make much of a difference for the NEts.

mightybosstone
07-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Melo might still be traded to the Rockets but if it's not coming from Woj or Shams, don't take every report serious.

Burt Steele (who's friend with Morey) said Melo would be traded 5:45 pm yesterday. Now he's getting destroyed. Don't be surprised if this goes thru the regular season.
Woj is one of the sources who leads me to believe Melo is going to Houston, as his last report on the subject was that the Knicks and Rockets were still dedicated to making a trade work to bring Melo to Houston. As for Burt Steele, that guy has been both the hero and villain of Clutch Fans (a long-time Rockets forum) for the last week. People question his credibility or if that's even his real name.

But Steele is just one of many supposed insiders (legitimate or not) that are putting this deal out there. And while the likelihood of one of these guys being wrong is high, the likelihood of every one of them being wrong seems a little unlikely to me. When there's smoke, there's usually fire. But, again, we'll see. Like you, I won't believe anything 100 percent until a reputable source Tweets that a deal is done.

Cavs
Bos
Tor
Wash
Bucks
Cha

Are pretty much locks, the last 2 spots are up for grabs and the Nets have a legitimate shot at one of those spots.

Lin
Russell
Crabbe
Carroll
Allen

That's team might be sneaky good

Ugh... Now that I see it on paper, I'm less excited about it. But bad teams have overachieved in the past. That looks like a 25-win team on paper. But if Russell and Allen play to their potential and Carroll can become the guy he was in Atlanta, maybe they've got a shot to be decent.

The Blazers have already said they are not getting involved in a Melo trade unless they get Melo, so I don't believe they dumped Crabbe to get Ryno.
But they dumped him to get somebody. Yes, they were in luxury tax hell and needed to make a move to fix that. But if you're a playoff team with two young stars, you don't just drop your fourth or fifth best player for nothing unless it opens up something else.

Somewhat off topic, but I don't think there's a team in the league that suffered more from the cap's perceived future spike last offseason than Portland. I know we've talked about it, but when you see them make a move like this and look at the roster and realize they still have Leonard and Turner's contracts and they already had to waive Ezeli.... they had a rough summer. Olshey may not have a job for much longer if he can't overcome those mistakes from last offseason.

Scoots
07-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Why in the hell would he go to Portland? They were essentially a .500 team last season and there were few veterans on that team who Melo has any prior esperience playing with. It makes zero sense, and literally no sources out there are pointing to that being his likely destination.

Cleveland or Houston make sense. Portland does not.

After the Nurkic trade Portland had the best record in the NBA. They are better than most people think

mightybosstone
07-26-2017, 11:28 AM
After the Nurkic trade Portland had the best record in the NBA. They are better than most people think

Yes. But he only played for 20 games with the Blazers. That's an insanely small sample size. I also think the Blazers are a much better team than their record indicated last season, but I also think their roster has some major holes right now and they're not likely to crack to the top 4-5 out West until they fix them. Houston and Cleveland are both better situations for Melo as of today, IMO.

GiantsSwaGG
07-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Woj is one of the sources who leads me to believe Melo is going to Houston, as his last report on the subject was that the Knicks and Rockets were still dedicated to making a trade work to bring Melo to Houston. As for Burt Steele, that guy has been both the hero and villain of Clutch Fans (a long-time Rockets forum) for the last week. People question his credibility or if that's even his real name.

But Steele is just one of many supposed insiders (legitimate or not) that are putting this deal out there. And while the likelihood of one of these guys being wrong is high, the likelihood of every one of them being wrong seems a little unlikely to me. When there's smoke, there's usually fire. But, again, we'll see. Like you, I won't believe anything 100 percent until a reputable source Tweets that a deal is done.

Ugh... Now that I see it on paper, I'm less excited about it. But bad teams have overachieved in the past. That looks like a 25-win team on paper. But if Russell and Allen play to their potential and Carroll can become the guy he was in Atlanta, maybe they've got a shot to be decent.

But they dumped him to get somebody. Yes, they were in luxury tax hell and needed to make a move to fix that. But if you're a playoff team with two young stars, you don't just drop your fourth or fifth best player for nothing unless it opens up something else.

Somewhat off topic, but I don't think there's a team in the league that suffered more from the cap's perceived future spike last offseason than Portland. I know we've talked about it, but when you see them make a move like this and look at the roster and realize they still have Leonard and Turner's contracts and they already had to waive Ezeli.... they had a rough summer. Olshey may not have a job for much longer if he can't overcome those mistakes from last offseason.

Woj hasn't reported on Melo in weeks which leaves me to believe the trade talks are either slow or dead. I still think Melo will be a rocket but the Knicks are playing it smart. With the news of more teams being interested Morey might bite the bullet but will see.

As far as the Nets, they'll be better remember Lin missed most of the season, Carroll played his best ball in ATL when Atkinson was there so he's playing in a system he thrives in. But more importantly the East is very weak. I doubt they'll make the playoffs but I wouldn't be surprise if they won 30 + games. I actually expect the Knicks to have the worst record between the 2 (HOPEFULLY)

JasonJohnHorn
07-26-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm really curious to see what Crabbe can do in a bigger role.

But hey... maybe the Nets should trade him and Lin to the Cavs for Kyrie and Smith. ;-)

Scoots
07-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Yes. But he only played for 20 games with the Blazers. That's an insanely small sample size. I also think the Blazers are a much better team than their record indicated last season, but I also think their roster has some major holes right now and they're not likely to crack to the top 4-5 out West until they fix them. Houston and Cleveland are both better situations for Melo as of today, IMO.

I agree ... I was responding to a "they are just an 8th seed" ... they are better than that, but they have been very inconsistent over the last couple years. We'll have to see what the move was for and how they play this year. One thing is sure, some pretty good teams are going to be staying home for the playoffs in the West and some bad teams are going to make it in the East.

Scoots
07-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Here's a quick rundown on the Crabbe signing to the Nets. I agree they should have tried to squeeze out a pick or two from Portland, but in the end, it's still a solid deal. They get their guy at a discounted price, essentially.

You are either undervaluing Crabbe or the value of draft picks.

TylerSL
07-26-2017, 01:38 PM
feel bad for Crabbe.....

Gibby23
07-26-2017, 02:05 PM

I don't know about that. Portland with Melo is probably a better team than the Rockets.

TheMightyHumph
07-26-2017, 02:36 PM
You are either undervaluing Crabbe or the value of draft picks.

No, I'm properly valuing the worth of $40+ mil.

zn23
07-26-2017, 07:15 PM
They made some awful signings last year and are now suffering because of them and trying to undo what they've done. Crabbe is laughably overpaid and so is Evan Turner.

TheMightyHumph
07-26-2017, 07:59 PM
feel bad for Crabbe.....

Crabbe agreed to waive his 15% trade kicker to go to Brooklyn.

Scoots
07-26-2017, 08:11 PM
No, I'm properly valuing the worth of $40+ mil.

Once you are out of cap space money doesn't matter in building a team and talent is always more important than money if you are trying to win.

TheMightyHumph
07-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Once you are out of cap space money doesn't matter in building a team and talent is always more important than money if you are trying to win.

And that's why the Blazers took Andrew Nicholson, who they immediately waived, in exchange for Allen Crabbe.

Try again, Scoots.

mightybosstone
07-26-2017, 08:43 PM
I don't know about that. Portland with Melo is probably a better team than the Rockets.

That's debatable. But the Rockets with Melo are certainly better than Portland with Melo.

Scoots
07-26-2017, 09:40 PM
And that's why the Blazers took Andrew Nicholson, who they immediately waived, in exchange for Allen Crabbe.

Try again, Scoots.

They STILL don't have cap space.

So I go back to: Once you are out of cap space money doesn't matter in building a team and talent is always more important than money if you are trying to win.

FlashBolt
07-27-2017, 01:03 AM
They made some awful signings last year and are now suffering because of them and trying to undo what they've done. Crabbe is laughably overpaid and so is Evan Turner.

Idk what they saw in him. I could find 50 guys in the league doing what he does..

jphysics
07-27-2017, 01:23 AM

I'd add ramona shelbourne to the list of reputable reporters

TheMightyHumph
07-27-2017, 01:23 AM
They STILL don't have cap space.

So I go back to: Once you are out of cap space money doesn't matter in building a team and talent is always more important than money if you are trying to win.

So you are saying money doesn't matter when the trade doesn't get capspace build the team?

The owner saves $40-$60 mil (I swear I read that).

Ahriman
07-27-2017, 04:20 AM
Money does matter if the team is on the fall.

In Portland's case, they are looking to be in the playoffs as they have their cornerstone in Lillard and two good players in McCollum (I don't think he's that good but he's highly regarded by Portland) and Nurkic. So shedding salaries for absolutely nothing in return when you're capped out is detrimental to their short term future

valade16
07-27-2017, 07:42 AM

As a Blazers fan I'm not so sure about that to be honest.

Scoots
07-27-2017, 12:09 PM
So you are saying money doesn't matter when the trade doesn't get capspace build the team?

The owner saves $40-$60 mil (I swear I read that).

I'm saying money that isn't used on the team is meaningless when it comes to winning. Talent matters much more to winning than money that can't be spent on talent.

To say it a different way, if winning is the goal then talent is ALWAYS more valuable than money, particularly when the team is capped.

And I couldn't possibly care less about money saved by incredibly rich people.

FlashBolt
07-27-2017, 12:10 PM
CP3+Harden+Rockets overall three point shooting lethality is very difficult to overcome. Just with Harden alone, they were able to snipe teams out of games. I see no different with CP3 being added to this team. Maybe they don't win as many games but come playoff time, this is a much better team by virtue of Harden having a legitimate player on his team.

TheMightyHumph
07-27-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm saying money that isn't used on the team is meaningless when it comes to winning. Talent matters much more to winning than money that can't be spent on talent.

To say it a different way, if winning is the goal then talent is ALWAYS more valuable than money, particularly when the team is capped.

And I couldn't possibly care less about money saved by incredibly rich people.

But Blazers just showed money is more important to them than talent.

TylerSL
07-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Crabbe agreed to waive his 15% trade kicker to go to Brooklyn.

LOL what a dumbass.