PDA

View Full Version : Best case scenario for every championship team without its best player

Chronz
07-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Current gen Dubs are abit awkward, I feel Curry is their best player but I can see an argument for KD, so in situations like those, the choice is yours.

2017: Dubs without Curry OR KD are a championship contender but its a 70-30 proposition in their favor against the 2nd best team IMO. So like a +60 win team or so

2016: Cavs without LeBron are what, I know they've sucked without him but you gotta figure they figure out a way to make use of untapped resources in the post game of K-Love or something but to what end, a 6th seed? The lottery isn't out of the question IMO.

2015: The Dubs w/out Curry are tricky to me, I think they remain a HCA team but do they even make the Conference Finals in the tough West?

2014: IIRC, the Spurs played around a .500 level without either Kawhi or Duncan out for prolonged stretches during a span of a few years but I dont know whos been their best player. Seems like a collective effort but how does that hold up, we saw how the Spurs fared in the years before Kawhi with an aging core.

2012+13: Take Bron off Miami, what do you have? 48 wins?

2011: Dallas went winless without Dirk, 0-7 IIRC. Lottery possible?

2009-10: How great are the Lakers without Kobe? Kobe never missed a game so all we're left is minimal sample sizes but are the towers of Pau/Bynum with Artest looking to score more enough to compete?

2008: We actually got a prolonged stretch of the Celtics without KG both this year and the following, the injury+their success actually cost KG an MVP. They were essentially a 60 win caliber team without KG but no true threat to the throne.

Anyone disagree with the above, or able to fill in more of the blanks?

MarvinFinley
07-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Cavs without Irving are just a 40 win regular season team and lose in the second round.

Balltime
07-24-2017, 09:54 PM
The Heat team still have Wade and Bosh and potent 1-2 punch, I think they could had gave a nice run for a ring.

Remember the 94 Bulls. Pippen almost carried that team to the finals. They got robbed by the refs vs the Knicks.

SportsFanatic10
07-25-2017, 01:16 AM
The Heat team still have Wade and Bosh and potent 1-2 punch, I think they could had gave a nice run for a ring.

Remember the 94 Bulls. Pippen almost carried that team to the finals. They got robbed by the refs vs the Knicks.

As a big Heat and Wade fan even I'd have to dispute this. Maybe in their first season together since that was Wade's last elite level season, but his injuries and age caught up to him after that. And even with Lebron they didn't manage to win that year, although Lebron had an epic choke job in the finals. I still think they'd need much more depth to have a shot without him since that team was as top heavy as it gets. A washed Bibby and Joel Anthony were starting and Miller and Haslem were hurt, just a brutal lineup outside of the big 3 that first year.

nastynice
07-25-2017, 03:50 AM
2017 dubs still strong possibilty of winning a chip!! #stackcity

I think 2012 (and 2011, but not champs) heat, tho def not favorites, are legit chip contenders. Depending how they fill that roster out with the $$, they prob going at it with boston and chicago. And kinda orlando, that one year.

Its like everybody forgot who Bosh is. That east was looking nasty cuz looked like boston, miami, and then wherever lebron goes to (had a low key feeling he'd go to ny, either that or stay cleveland), all woulda been battling. A clearly short lived scenario

hugepatsfan
07-25-2017, 09:56 AM
If you just take Lebron off the Heat (like an injury) I don't think they win. In the first year they didn't win so obviously they don't without Lebron. That next year they were down 3-2 to BOS and they had one more run in them. Those IND/CHI teams were close enough that minus Lebron they beat MIA for sure.

However, if Lebron had never signed with MIA in the first place and they invested those assets in alternative pieces around Wade/Bosh then I think MIA could have been strong contenders.

Vee-Rex
07-25-2017, 10:47 AM
I might be in the extreme minority on this one but I think if you take Durant off the 2017 Dubs then they could've lost in the finals. And who knows what happens if you take him off the Dubs and they play a healthy Kawhi-led Spurs team.

This Warriors team is incredible - they're the best team in the league no question, and probably the best team in NBA history. But they're NOT invincible, and no matter how much people want to hate on KD's decision and wail about how it ruined the league (and yes I agree it had a huge impact), the Warriors are not a team that can't be beaten.

You guys just hate through misery and my retort is - stop being drama queens and LOVE to hate the Warriors. Because I certainly love to hate them.

mrblisterdundee
07-25-2017, 12:18 PM
I don't know about championship teams, but I'd be excited to see what McCollum could do running the show with Lillard out. I think he could do a pretty good Harden impersonation, with better shooting.